New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

and your missing the point. I prefer a players cavity the likes of mp64. Everyone thought that’s what they would release in the new mp line since it was missing from the mp20 line. I was surprised when I saw this new 223. 

The 223, 225 etc are fine, tons of golfers buy them and fit into them but for my preferences, I only have the choice of the 221 blade or the existing jpx tour. I have played iblades the past few years and I almost switched to jpx tour multiple times, tested them against each other many times because I was looking for a more forged feel. Never did it because the iblade looks better at address vs jpx tour. If there was an mp64 replacement it would of fit the bill.   

i might end up in some blade set with a more forgiving long iron. 

It’s probably a combination of Mizuno wanting to expand its market share, which they have done, and that there is not a lot of innovating left to do in a pure forged cavity back iron. If you have one you like from 10 years ago, not much has changed in the new ones that are out there. i play them frequently and I enjoy them, but if the club was from 2010, I wouldn’t know the difference. 

The MP64 was a great one, no doubt, but if Mizuno makes nothing like it in the current lineup, you can still get the MP64. Some super clean sets on eBay being sold out of Japan. Looks like old stock someone Japanese dealer saved but still cheaper than new releases. If Mizuno did release a new one, it wouldn’t be any better.

And if they had released a CB in this lineup as a fourth option, it would likely finish fourth in sales. You’d have your devoted blade players go for the 221, but the 223 would outsell a standard cavity back. And if you added up sales of all three, the 225 would beat that number. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

6 minutes ago, Gatorgolf04 said:

I'm not trying to jump into this debate, but I am having a similar problem as RedJeep83. I've played MP32s since I was 20 years old and then ventured into the JPX line once they started with the 900s and have played the 919tours for almost 3 years. I'm 36 now and play to a +2, but don't play every day and want some forgiveness in the long irons.

I just bought a set of 225s a degree weak, but have no idea how I'd ever blend them in the short irons. The top lines and soles are a little thick for a true "Players Cavity" (I know the 225s aren't cavities), so I think I'm honestly going to think about going 5-7 225 into 7-PW with the 919 tours. Never thought I'd have two 7 irons, but if the gapping is right it's just a number on the bottom of a club. Play whatever gets you to your best score, but I don't think the 225s or 223s blend well with a set of 221s in the short irons without bending everything too weak. 

We will see what the numbers bear out when I finally get the full set of 225s 🙂

Did you hit the 223’s?  Any reason you shied away from a full set of 223 vs blended?

former mp32 looking for a bit more help against the chunky miss. 

Edited by Pnwpingi210

15 minutes ago, Gatorgolf04 said:

I'm not trying to jump into this debate, but I am having a similar problem as RedJeep83. I've played MP32s since I was 20 years old and then ventured into the JPX line once they started with the 900s and have played the 919tours for almost 3 years. I'm 36 now and play to a +2, but don't play every day and want some forgiveness in the long irons.

I just bought a set of 225s a degree weak, but have no idea how I'd ever blend them in the short irons. The top lines and soles are a little thick for a true "Players Cavity" (I know the 225s aren't cavities), so I think I'm honestly going to think about going 5-7 225 into 7-PW with the 919 tours. Never thought I'd have two 7 irons, but if the gapping is right it's just a number on the bottom of a club. Play whatever gets you to your best score, but I don't think the 225s or 223s blend well with a set of 221s in the short irons without bending everything too weak. 

We will see what the numbers bear out when I finally get the full set of 225s 🙂

I'm not saying it's certain to work, but for what it's worth, Mizuno has a spot on the model comparison page on their site to help recommend set blending of the different models. I have been thinking about a slight tweak to 225s 1° weak in 4-6 and 2° weak in 7, 221s 1° strong in the 8 and stock 9 and pw.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/irons-comparison-table/

Screenshot_20220208-224759.png

Edited by EagleThr33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2016 Taylormade M2 - 10.5°

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro Blue 70g

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW w/ TT DG X100 Tour Issue

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

14 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Did you hit the 223’s?  Any reason you shied away from a full set of 223 vs blended?

former mp32 looking for a bit more help against the chunky miss. 

That's a good question. I was probably a little hasty trying to get in line with all of the production issues we've seen across the manufacturers of late and jumped on the preorder after seeing some of the numbers from the 225 7 iron only. I have been playing a p790 bent 2 degrees weak or a U500 in the 4 iron for a few years now, and the hollow body tech is undeniable. I saw a couple of reviews on the 225 from TXG that sounded incredible and they thought the blending was really nice throughout the set so I bought into the hype being the Mizuno fanboy I am. I probably should have given the 223s more thought, and may still do so once I get the set of 225s. 

Edited by Gatorgolf04
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EagleThr33 said:

I'm not saying it's certain to work, but for what it's worth, Mizuno has a spot on the model comparison page on their site to help recommend set blending of the different models.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/irons-comparison-table/

Screenshot_20220208-224759.png

I appreciate the link, but this is exactly the stuff that scares me. That 7 iron in the 225 was nuclear, and with this recommendation you start introducing a bunch of offset and turf interaction issues from the 7 to the 8. Adding bounce to the chunkier 7 and then taking 2 degrees of bounce out of a mizuno blade seems like a recipe for disaster. my 2cents...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorgolf04 said:

I appreciate the link, but this is exactly the stuff that scares me. That 7 iron in the 225 was nuclear, and with this recommendation you start introducing a bunch of offset and turf interaction issues from the 7 to the 8. Adding bounce to the chunkier 7 and then taking 2 degrees of bounce out of a mizuno blade seems like a recipe for disaster. my 2cents...

Yep, that's one of the things that has me on the fence also. The full set of 225s 1° weak is also in consideration for me for this reason. I currently play MP53s, so guessing the 225 short irons wouldn't be too bothersome to me size wise, but I've also played combo sets with blades in the short irons too and am not necessarily after the distance aspect of the 225s.

• Like 1

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

6 hours ago, Gatorgolf04 said:

That 7 iron being “nuclear “ is why I went with the 223 set. I felt the 223 had just as good forgiveness in it as the 225. They have a nice combo of compact forgiveness IMO. But the 7iron 225 was about 12 yards longer then the 223. It is tricky enough  blending the full set of 223. Add in the extra yards I was getting with the 225 would be even trickier. 
Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either set but if you don’t need the extra distance you might be better with the 223. 
I was coming from playing my long time JPX 825pro. Then tried the 921 forged last year. Now giving the 223 a go this season. I see these staying in my bag for awhile.

221’s we’re just to compact and thin for my liking. I didn’t even pick them up. Just looked at them and they are sexy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning poor average hacks! Lmao!

I just got my 221 yesterday.  I hit the 221 and the 223.  223 definitely has more pop in 7 iron and up.  I felt that the 221 was actually really forgiving for a blade.  I'd probably compare it to the mp68 or mp32, which I found to be some of the most forgiving blades from Mizuno.  The look is perfect!  They got rid of the long round toe and mushy top line.  These have a nice pointy toe with a shorter blade and less roundness on the toe.  Top line is perfect.  They really frame the ball well.  I'm just going to say that, from purely at address, these are some of the best looking blades Mizuno has ever put out. 

I hope to get on course today!!   

Y'all keep practicing.  (/Sarcasm, of course)

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

25 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Good morning poor average hacks! Lmao!

I just got my 221 yesterday.  I hit the 221 and the 223.  223 definitely has more pop in 7 iron and up.  I felt that the 221 was actually really forgiving for a blade.  I'd probably compare it to the mp68 or mp32, which I found to be some of the most forgiving blades from Mizuno.  The look is perfect!  They got rid of the long round toe and mushy top line.  These have a nice pointy toe with a shorter blade and less roundness on the toe.  Top line is perfect.  They really frame the ball well.  I'm just going to say that, from purely at address, these are some of the best looking blades Mizuno has ever put out. 

I hope to get on course today!!   

Y'all keep practicing.  (/Sarcasm, of course)

Nice! When did you order? Can't wait to suck at golf with some 223s 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

I have a 225 in 5-7i in Recoil 95, and I can see guys who want distance, lower spin, and more forgiveness, going for this iron.

I also have 223 in 7-PW in Recoil 95, and ordered the 5 and 6i. The 223 7i has good pop - the face is thinner than the 921F and it looks great at address (to me). I understand the heel to toe and sole are a bit thick for some, but for my game, I like it. In fact, I prefer the 223 as I want the higher spin with pop and slightly more playability with not much loss in forgiveness - I hit both in the center, surprisingly so. I will strengthen the PW slightly. I'm also re-shafting to MMT 85 Tapers. I like its dampening/smooth feel and I find it very accurate after using it in Honma TW-X.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

23 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

Nice! When did you order? Can't wait to suck at golf with some 223s 

Truth be told .. I had ordered a set of jpx six weeks ago.  My shop just got these in and I loved them.  So I bought these and they are keeping the jpx whenever they come in.  

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

My Club Champion order was set to be delivered on 2/11 but I havent received tracking or an update. Confirmed with CC that Mizuno's systems are still down and all orders and shipments are frozen until the system is back up. They said to expect a week or 2 delay.

• Sad 2

I like golf. A lot.

32 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Truth be told .. I had ordered a set of jpx six weeks ago.  My shop just got these in and I loved them.  So I bought these and they are keeping the jpx whenever they come in.  

Hack it up out there Bogey least those will look good in the bag!! Lol (sarcastic of course) 

I just looked at those 221 and didn’t think I had the game for them so I kept it sitting in the table during my fitting. I could probably game those on some days… but just being an average WRX hack some days might be punishing. Felt the 223 had just the right amount of forgiveness and look.

like I have said before anything with this years Mizuno Pro line is going to be amazing. I even got the 3 FliHi on the way. T22 wedges and the M craft IV. Didn’t plan that but I am all Mizzy’d up!!! 

1 minute ago, Warrick said:

No way their entire ordering system is offline for anymore than part of a day at most, if so, they need a better set up or better IT people. 

Dont be hatin' on IT people...😂

But for real, I work as an Engineer at an insurance company and if a "system" is down for more than like an hour, we lose TONS of money. Maybe they do need some better IT people.

• Like 2

I like golf. A lot.

Just now, TomBomb51 said:

But for real, I work as an Engineer at an insurance company and if a "system" is down for more than like an hour, we lose TONS of money. Maybe they do need some better IT people.

I am also, at a very large insurance company that is why I made the statement. Most stuff, even larger issues, less than an hour. I know there are exceptions, but if they were down a whole day during this time, someone probably got walking papers.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

10 minutes ago, Warrick said:

I am also, at a very large insurance company that is why I made the statement. Most stuff, even larger issues, less than an hour. I know there are exceptions, but if they were down a whole day during this time, someone probably got walking papers.

Sounds like some orders got the walking papers too!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

This! I actually am in IT for a manufacturing company, and if we had any of our main systems down this long....it starts getting real hairy! I watched that video from the Mizuno facility posted earlier and was quite surprised at how behind our manufacturing/assembly facilities some of their stuff was from a technological standpoint.

• Sad 1

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

3 minutes ago, EagleThr33 said:

This! I actually am in IT for a manufacturing company, and if we had any of our main systems down this long....it starts getting real hairy! I watched that video from the Mizuno facility posted earlier and was quite surprised at how behind our manufacturing/assembly facilities some of their stuff was from a technological standpoint.

Just make sure they get my order done. Hand write the address. Lol. Hopefully they get it worked out. As if companies aren’t having a hard enough time this has to happen. 
maybe one of you IT Guys could head over there and fix it. Maybe get some free gear?? Lol

1 hour ago, NZ315 said:

Hack it up out there Bogey least those will look good in the bag!! Lol (sarcastic of course) 

I just looked at those 221 and didn’t think I had the game for them so I kept it sitting in the table during my fitting. I could probably game those on some days… but just being an average WRX hack some days might be punishing. Felt the 223 had just the right amount of forgiveness and look.

like I have said before anything with this years Mizuno Pro line is going to be amazing. I even got the 3 FliHi on the way. T22 wedges and the M craft IV. Didn’t plan that but I am all Mizzy’d up!!! 

Don’t sleep on the ST-Z driver either. I took it out for the first time yesterday. While not the longest or fastest ball speed in this years lineup (actually quite a bit shorter than my TSi3 gamer from about 2-8 yards), but it’s definitely the most forgiving golf club I’ve ever hit. Just wants to go straight and gear back in (on mishits). I typically play on some tighter courses. I’m going to kick out either my 3-wood or 5-wood and experiment with a 2-driver set up for a few rounds and see if it knocks some strokes down. 

11 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

Don’t sleep on the ST-Z driver either. I took it out for the first time yesterday. While not the longest or fastest ball speed in this years lineup (actually quite a bit shorter than my TSi3 gamer from about 2-8 yards), but it’s definitely the most forgiving golf club I’ve ever hit. Just wants to go straight and gear back in (on mishits). I typically play on some tighter courses. I’m going to kick out either my 3-wood or 5-wood and experiment with a 2-driver set up for a few rounds and see if it knocks some strokes down. 

The lineup this year  from woods down to wedges is just incredible 

Edited by JourdanM
  • Like 1

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, EagleThr33 said:

Hope they didn’t get hacked in a cyber event.  Could be talking weeks

37 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

Myself, @EagleThr33and @Warrick will roll up at Mizuno and get them back up in hours. Small fee, golf clubs for life.

If free clubs for life is on the table, I’m happy to login and lend a helping hand!  Credentials?? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

59 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Yes it is I could play a full bag of Mizuno clubs. Played irons for over 10 years and they only get better. 
M craft putter kicks Scotty putter all day

I just discovered the M Craft putters and I'm currently dueling one against an Odyssey for the spot in my bag to start the spring. I'm really impressed so far and absolutely love the blue ion finish.

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

Myself, @EagleThr33and @Warrick will roll up at Mizuno and get them back up in hours. Small fee, golf clubs for life.

I'd be there ASAP if that was the case! 😀 Though if security/backup/other practices are bad enough...it could be much worse than a few hours... Sure hope not for them!

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

15 hours ago, Gatorgolf04 said:

Agreed, I'm thinking of how I'm going to blend my set, 221s P-7 and 225s 6-5 and looked at the results and was a bit scared by the suggestion. I'm going to wait till I get my set and then bend them, but I'm very curious what others are doing.

If I had to bend now, I would have bent the 7 one degree strong at most and then the 6 and 5 2,2 or 2,1 degrees weak. Suggesting the 221s be bent strong seems really odd.

I'll share my results when I go through gapping, but I doubt I'll do what Mizuno recommends. First, I just need these clubs to arrive. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2