Rory's major drought

stinger_gc

I can't wrap my head around the fact that Rory Mcilory hasn't won a major in 7 years. It seems like he's won everything except a major since 2015. Since the end of 2014 Rory has 11 PGA Tour wins including a Players Championship and 2 WGC's, 13 top 10s in majors and 2 Fedex Cups. What exactly is the issue here? It seems like most 10s in majors are him getting hot on the weekend when he's out of it or blowing up when he's near the lead like Torrey Pines this year. Is this just a mental block or is it possible that Rory never wins another major?

The 3 missed US Open cuts in a row in 16, 17, 18 underline the reason.

His totally putting fell off a cliff.

He was never a great putter but being elite SG tee to green, his ball striking was so off the charts, he could still be tot SG and win majors ranking like 100 in putting.

In 2014, he ranked 40 in putting and won 2 majors. 

And keep in mind all his majors were on slow greens.

But in 2016 and 2017, the bottom fell out on his putting. He ranked 139 and 159 and lost strokes on the green. That’s dead in majors.

He really got it together in 2019, 4 wins, putted well, 1st SG total. Shame he couldn’t win a major. 

Cold putter last year, not great all around. He definitely seemed lost but always hanging around he’s so good.

See if he can settle in. He’s as good as anybody out there now. But the issue in majors, at least besides the open, is fast greens. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

Nearly all human activity must conform to 'maybe yes/maybe no'.

IMO, ole Tiger will forever regret not hiring a driver for that ride to the golf course last February. If he must walk 72 holes over 4 days, and hit golf balls during his off days, he will never be able to compete again, on the main PGA tour.

But will Rory win the Masters and elevate to 'ultra elite' status?  Jack did win at age 46, Tiger did win at age 44 and Rory is now  32 years.  So Rory has a chance.

• Like 1

Rory's putter got hot at the CJ Cup @ Summit.  The guy wins when he doesn't suck @ss at putting because like you guys said, he's absolutely brilliant from tee to green.  I know the odds are stacked against him, but I predict that he will win at least one major in 2022.  

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

33 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Yeah, but strokes gained says putting isn't that big of a deal.  Just gotta get hot at the right time.  Seven years and still hasn't timed it right. 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, well, the problem is the stats tell a story. You go from picking up 2 strokes a tournament putting to losing 2 strokes, tough to beat BK and Jordan dropping bombs 💣 on your head ; )

But 2019 you have a good point. 4 wins and 2.5 SG total per round? That’s nosebleed territory. Shame it didn’t come together at a major.

I think the odds are good he wins a couple more. Rory freakin good man. Gotta bear down though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, well, the problem is the stats tell a story. You go from picking up 2 strokes a tournament putting to losing 2 strokes, tough to beat BK and Jordan dropping bombs 💣 on your head ; )

But 2019 you have a good point. 4 wins and 2.5 SG total per round? That’s nosebleed territory. Shame it didn’t come together at a major.

I think the odds are good he wins a couple more. Rory freakin good man. Gotta bear down though. 

Totally agree.  Seems like he could stumble into a few major wins over the next ten years.  In the end though, not quite what was projected for him when he first arrived on the scene. 

• Like 2

He tried to bulk up and be like his hero, Tiger.  Hasn't been the same since.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

24 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

He's 5'9, 165 max.  I would hardly called that bulked up.  He's ripped af though and the longest he's ever been off the tee. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I saw that stat last week that at age 32 (Rory's age), he and Phil had around the same wins, but Phil had zero majors and Rory has 4. 

I get the point that stat was trying to make. However, I think, has anyone outside of Tiger (or maybe Jack) gone on a major run, had a drought, then came back to win more majors?

I was doing a back of the envelope analysis/thinking the other day. Rory's so young and has so much money, if he keeps playing and investing wisely there  is a good chance he'll wind up having a billion dollars. Seems to be a guy that if you gave him enough money he would stop playing. 

53 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

He's 5'9, 165 max.  I would hardly called that bulked up.  He's ripped af though and the longest he's ever been off the tee. 

"Tried" being the key word in my sentence.  He was lifting for 90 minutes at a time, ten times a week.  Way too much.  He's cut it back since.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

3 hours ago, ShowMe said:

2 hours ago, ShowMe said:

"Tried" being the key word in my sentence.  He was lifting for 90 minutes at a time, ten times a week.  Way too much.  He's cut it back since.

In what ways? The 90 minute lifting sessions 10x a week looks like it was an early/mid 2015 story, and that does correlate with the decline in his putting, but when we look at him on paper as a whole, it has really been the same story since he initially broke out. Yes his putting was good in 2014 and lousy in the several years that followed during the lifting times, but it was lousy in 2013 as well. 2019 he was great on the greens and then 2020 was mediocre again. So his "loss of form" during the time when he was lifting a lot seems to be rooted in putting given that most of his other stats were steady, but putting has always been his main issue, chubby or not. 😅

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

8 hours ago, golfer929 said:

I made the prediction in 2016 that he would never win another one and got laughed at. I also said DJ or Jason Day wouldn't win a major again, so to be fair, I was wrong on 1 of those. Check my profile for proof..

He's only 32 though, so probably a while to gloat quite just yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

I saw that stat last week that at age 32 (Rory's age), he and Phil had around the same wins, but Phil had zero majors and Rory has 4. 

I get the point that stat was trying to make. However, I think, has anyone outside of Tiger (or maybe Jack) gone on a major run, had a drought, then came back to win more majors?

I was doing a back of the envelope analysis/thinking the other day. Rory's so young and has so much money, if he keeps playing and investing wisely there  is a good chance he'll wind up having a billion dollars. Seems to be a guy that if you gave him enough money he would stop playing. 

Lee Trevino won his last major 10 years after his previous one. Ernie Els won his last major 10 years after his previous one. Phil Mickelson won his last major 8 years after his previous one.

Obviously Rory could win more majors and may do so at any time.

However, after seven years I reckon the pressure he puts himself under (especially at the Masters) hinders his wedges and putting when it matters.  He won his four when he was young and fearless and just enjoying himself; the opposite of now when he's the older guy with high expectations for himself, and a whole generation of young fearless bucks to compete against.

His first round nonsense in many (most?) majors is obviously also a big problem, as is the fact that at the Open he doesn't like it when the wind blows.  Always thought that was really odd for someone from NI.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

I've been a huge fan of his since pretty much the beginning of his time on tour in 2007. He's an extremely classy kid whose parents "raised him right". If you would tell me after the 2014 PGA that he wouldn't win another major for the next 7 years I would've put an awful lot of money down on that being "no chance in hell".

I hope I'm wrong but my gut tells me that he'll win 2-3 more majors but he won't complete the slam by winning the Masters. As mentioned above, his wedge game isn't good and combined with a streaky putter it's not a combination for winning at Augusta. If he could improve his ranking inside 150 yards and have a good week on the greens then I could see him winning there. Just don't think it's likely.

What I do think will happen is winning a few PGA's and maybe 1 more Open. The PGA has the best chance of being soggy and he can attack it similar to what he did at Kiawah. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

4 hours ago, Dave230 said:

Lee Trevino won his last major 10 years after his previous one. Ernie Els won his last major 10 years after his previous one. Phil Mickelson won his last major 8 years after his previous one.

Trevino and Els were the first two names that came to mind for me. Stewart, Irwin, Sarazen are some others.

4 hours ago, Dave230 said:

I get your point, let me clarify...I meant go on a major run, meaning win 3,4,5 or more. Everyone seems to win them at a certain time, then maybe they pick up one more. Mickelson, Tiger, Trevino, all these guys one last one, but they didn't go on another run in their career. Phil basically won his first 5 in five years, Brooks 4 over 3 years, Els kind of picked them off. Seve won 4 in 5 years, then added one down the line. What I'm saying is Rory has 4 now, will he go on another tear and win 3,4,5,6...get to 10 majors? Who had done that before. It's not like it gets easier every year. 

(not to drive the point home, but Trevino last major, Els last major, Phil last major...I said major(s) haha; not saying Rory won't win a another major, just thinking multiple)

6 minutes ago, AUTIGER07 said:

I've been a huge fan of his since pretty much the beginning of his time on tour in 2007. He's an extremely classy kid whose parents "raised him right". If you would tell me after the 2014 PGA that he wouldn't win another major for the next 7 years I would've put an awful lot of money down on that being "no chance in hell".

I hope I'm wrong but my gut tells me that he'll win 2-3 more majors but he won't complete the slam by winning the Masters. As mentioned above, his wedge game isn't good and combined with a streaky putter it's not a combination for winning at Augusta. If he could improve his ranking inside 150 yards and have a good week on the greens then I could see him winning there. Just don't think it's likely.

What I do think will happen is winning a few PGA's and maybe 1 more Open. The PGA has the best chance of being soggy and he can attack it similar to what he did at Kiawah. 

I think 2022-25 is his window to go on another run. The next 2 Open Championship venues are perfect for him (St. Andrews and Liverpool), in 2024 the PGA is at Valhalla and in 2025 it's at Quail Hollow (2 courses he's won on). I don't know if Rory will ever win a green jacket. He always has a round where he blows up at Augusta and shoots himself out of the tournament. I think it was 2016 when he shot -4 for 3 rounds but blew up on Saturday with 76 or 77. Going back to 2014, Rory has shot like 24 rounds under par at Augusta which is crazy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

In the CJ Cup post win interview, he alluded to the fact that he wasn't being himself of late and that his brand of golf is good enough to win and be on top. I think he was referring to chasing distance (because of Bryson) and that his ball striking was not as good because of it. 

His type of thinking now is key. I expect him on leaderboards this year. Reveals a lot about “play with what you’ve got”

• Like 1