Why did you change clubs and did it make a difference?

nev adams

I come up with some sore of arbitrary reason to justify new clubs. I like them. I have actually started to care about forgiveness and performance more, so my bag looks much different than it ever has. I'd like to start shooting better scores for the first time in over 10 years.  

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I doubt moving to mp20s are going to give you the best overall performance. You my hit a few better shots from them but more are going to be worse than your jpx900. If you're looking for higher ball flight get lofts turned up a couple degrees or look into shafts. When I was at a +5 handicap I still preferred clubs that had a little bit of forgiveness. Possiblity of the pro 225 maybe if you're just wanting new clubs. Or a used set of the HMB. As a 5 handicap your still going to want the forgiveness that comes with some tech in the club head. The issue with going to blades isnt off-center hits it's turf interaction. While a smaller blade will get into the ground easily. It will also slow down the club head more less mass in club head the more the turf will slow it down. 

Took up golf 3 years ago, got the equipment bug in year 2.. since then I've had probably 15 or so iron sets. My handicap has dropped to between 1-2 now and I can say equipment has almost never really made a difference to me. I kept getting better, even with the new clubs, but I was also practicing quite a bit. 

I buy a lot of clubs used, but I think buying equipment has become more of a hobby than playing golf. Given I'm back in an office, I get to play 1-2 a week, so I spend the other time reading about clubs, seeing what deals are out there for things to try... it's an addiction really..

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9*| Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*| Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX
Mizuno 245 5-PW  | Project X LS 6.5
Titleist SM9 46 - 50 - 54 - 58 | PX 6.0
Odyssey Ai Jailbird  

After hitting Ping G15 for 11 years, I switched to Callaway Rogue X last summer. My biggest mistake was not getting fit for them. I was fit for my G15 and that's why I had them so long. I just switched my Rogue X Irons for Sub70 639CB irons. I got fit for shafts and then for heads. It makes all the difference.

The Rogue X shafts were XP95 and my properly fit shafts are DG120. That's a huge difference in just shafts. My 639CB irons are forged heads with much less offset.

I also changed out all my woods from TM to PXG. Again, I wasn't fit for any of the TM woods and was for my PXG. Again, huge difference, especially for someone who produces a bit more spin then normal. Shafts, heads, and Lofts are all different now and more on point.

So basically I'm hitting night and day different clubs, and it was the right move that I wish I'd made last year.

• Like 1

One should always get fitted for irons but,

I went long stretches averaging 5 years each playing Hogan Edges, Mac VIP Cavity Backs, 86’ Titleist Tour models and Mizuno Mp 33’s. I’m 6’4 and from an early fitting, I’ve always had a 1/2” to 1” longer shafts on all my sets with mid size grips. A few months ago while browsing eBay, on a whim and because they looked gorgeous, I picked up a set of 84’/86’ Staff Fluid Feels (2-SW) in very good condition. Without altering the clubs, skipping the range and going straight to the course, they’ve been in my bag ever since. Oddly, with standard length shafts, standard old school Golf Pride full cords and stiff shafts, I’ve never hit the ball better. Perfect trajectory, super solid feel and workability, and a different sound compared to any of my other sets. They have the classic little butter knife blade look and a thin top line that really appeals to my eye. Right now my favorite club is the 2 iron off the tee followed by the 6 or 7 into the green. Playing a full club shorter then modern lofts is something I’m adjusting to, but standing over an approach shot I have a ton of confidence. I guess knowing that flushed sound and trajectory is moments away.
Lastly, there’s something about that bore through hosel Fluid Feel technology Wilson designed that definitely comes out on sold hits.
Sometimes if it looks good, you’ll make it work.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 10:58 PM, sm_watts said:

I have finally given up chasing the latest and greatest that have never made a real difference in my scores. I had three different iron sets alone last summer. So I’m going back to Ping Eye 2+ BeCu’s. They are easy to hit, the copper looks as cool as anything, they may not have the most forgiveness on off-center hits, but they’re not bad. If they aren’t going to change my scores, I’m going to play the clubs that put a smile on my face when I look down at them. 

Truth!!!  And as a fellow BeCu'er you can't go wrong!!  Fairways and greens, Friend.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Have been using 6 year old Titleist AP-1’s after switching from AP-2’s. Went for an Iron fitting, couple months ago and really like the new Titleist T-300’s until i started reading about PXG. Haven’t had a chance to hit them yet, but the G/I 0211 & 0311’s sure look good. One way or the other i will have new Irons next year. It’s just time.

I switched from Apex Pros to the regular Apex. I was searching for a little more forgiveness and wasn't feeling like I was getting the most out of my current clubs. 

In fairness I think the shaft change made a bigger difference then the club change. 

Bottom line get fit and compare against your current gamers. 

• Like 1

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black TR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

Every release season I test almost every OEM's Driver/FW/Hybrid offering head-to-head comparing Trackman data and con course results. Sometimes I swap, sometimes I don't (I did swap to the Max LS/Autoflex combo). With irons and wedges the door revolves far slower, and with putters it's at a standstill. Prior to this season I had been gaming Miura CB-301's with C-Taper 125 S+ shafts since the start of 2019, but had already planned to swap shafts out to $-Taper S 120's based on a performance fitting/analysis I had in Dec 2020 and had full designs of continuing to game them for 2021. I send off my set in early Feb for the swap and get the process started, but that was also the time that the industry went through a shaft shortage problem (among other other material shortages) and my 1-2 week swap suddenly changed to an 8-12 week job based on eta of the shafts. Thankfully, I had a shiny new set of Apex 21's with the $-Taper 120 blackout's already in hand and wound up starting the season with them.

Long story short, they are still in my bag, and my handicap dropped a full 3 points this year (but the Miura's are still with me.....staring at me in Asian side-eye). Although the equipment change was unintentional by my 2021 plans and goals, the swap worked out really well for me. My improvement is a combination of a few things (including lessons) so the irons aren't the sole reason, but they certainly didn't hurt my progress. 

Edited by ShankAaron
  • Like 1

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

New irons this year simply because I wanted graphite shafts.  Wear and tear on the joints is better and I can hit a large bucket again without needing 2 days to recover. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I changed irons because my old set was 10 years old and not fit to me, switched to JPX921 forged that I was fit for. This has made a difference in that I don't really top the ball anymore and can stand more upright as these are +1" but my scores haven't changed much yet. Changed a wedge because it was also old and I didn't feel like I was getting enough spin, then I won one of the Edel SMS wedges from the giveaway here and it's so good I'm considering changing my set wedges to match. Changed 3 wood just because I wanted something newer. Hit my old one fine and never had an issue with it, just became my oldest club and that made me want something newer to go with everything else that was new.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Changing from my Mizuno MP-30's to the Ping 425's. I loved my MP-30's but as I have aged, they are getting a bit heavier and since I don't play as much as I used to, I need something a little more forgiving.

Every club in my bag will be new this year(see sig for details), so we will see how things go.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, 3W, 5W - Aldila Rogue White 130 shafts

Ping G425 3 Crossover Iron - Aldila Rogue Black 95TS shaft

Ping G425 4-PW, UW Green Dot, Power Spec, AWT 2.0 S shafts

Vokey 56 degree 14F Sand Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Labs Tuttle Mallet putter

Changed from Srixon 585 with Modus 105 to New Level PF-1/PF-2 combo with Elevate 105. The 585s felt great.  They were long (lofts I’m sure). But dispersion was bad and hooks were frequent. I switched to the New Level and Elevate hoping to cure both. Luckily, I did. Hooks are gone and dispersion is much better.  

The crappy part is that I wanted to keep the 585 heads and reshaft. But reshafting and regripping is almost the price of new irons (especially the affordable New Levels). 

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

Changing driver shafts has helped my scoring more than anything else.  Wedges would be next ... just feel more confident with a certain shape.

I can adjust to different irons, hybrids without giving up much scoring wise.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Went from regular shafted TM rocketblade irons (The clubs I started playing the game with and played with for 4 years) to fitted JPX 919 HM Pros last year, shaved about 4 strokes off my handicap. I was fighting a hook for a long time with those old irons and then basically went to never missing left again with my new ones. It instilled confidence and speed because I didn't fear the left side anymore. Helped a ton, obviously.

Have changed drivers a few times over the years because who doesn't like new and shiny. The club hasn't made much of a difference length or accuracy wise. I'd contribute improvements there to technique.

i like to sell and buy golf clubs 😄 , to try something new is a lot of fun! this year i have the Callaway apex MB with MMT shafts to try and im going for FWs instead of hybrids 

i have had Titleist wedges for years and am now trying Callaways 

will it improve my game probably not but i dont think it will damage it either, but i will personally enjoy the game more with something new in the bag 🙂 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Tripple Diamond *9, Fujikura Motore X F1 6 XStiff

Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 

Irons: Mizuno MP5

Wedges: Honma

Putter: Scotty Kombi Long

Ball: Pro v1 

As a result of needing to go down in flex or to a lighter shat in all my clubs, I went through a complete bag overhaul last year. It was exhausting, and it took 3 tries with the irons to get it right.

Results?  The ones I have now seem to be better than the ones I had, but it’s still early days… I’m playing well right now, I want to see how they are on the days I’m not.
I will say though, I like the shafts in them so much, I  ordered wedges (see sig) with the same ones. This will be the first time I’ve had graphite wedge shafts, so I’m looking forward to the experiment. My Vokeys are sticking around however, just in case.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 12/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, 2ndCut16 said:

Took up golf 3 years ago, got the equipment bug in year 2.. since then I've had probably 15 or so iron sets.

seeing as I am about 6 months behind you, and I am in the "equipment bug" stage, this scares me and my wallet to hear 😆

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60g 

3 Wood: Titleist 910F 15* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 75g

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 2H 21* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 80g

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 Neo +1/2

GW: Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 52/12f +1/2

LW:  Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 58/8m +1/2

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7s w/ SS Zenergy Pistol 2.0

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

14 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

seeing as I am about 6 months behind you, and I am in the "equipment bug" stage, this scares me and my wallet to hear 😆

if you keep an eye on BST and Ebay late at night, it can be done for a reasonable price ( buying/selling)... that said, these are lessons I learned after spending a fortune...

I'm also in CT, so if you ever need gear / want to test something let me know. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9*| Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*| Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX
Mizuno 245 5-PW  | Project X LS 6.5
Titleist SM9 46 - 50 - 54 - 58 | PX 6.0
Odyssey Ai Jailbird  

Just now, 2ndCut16 said:

if you keep an eye on BST and Ebay late at night, it can be done for a reasonable price ( buying/selling)... that said, these are lessons I learned after spending a fortune...

I'm also in CT, so if you ever need gear / want to test something let me know. 

Much appreciated. Ebay is pretty much how my bag was built.. saved me quite a bit. I'm up in the NW corner

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60g 

3 Wood: Titleist 910F 15* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 75g

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 2H 21* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 80g

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 Neo +1/2

GW: Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 52/12f +1/2

LW:  Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 58/8m +1/2

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7s w/ SS Zenergy Pistol 2.0

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Buying new stuff is half of the fun with golf, especially now in winter when I am unable to play. In 2021 I went from Mizuno JPX EZ with Steelfibers and got fitted for JPX 921 with KBS Pro.  Main reason for the change was because I had grown tired of the look of the JPX EZ.  Also switched from Titleist 917 Driver to Ping 410 Plus as I heard so much positive about it. With those changes I played my best season in 20 years! Longer drives and better iron play, best reason ever to change. 

I play Mizuno JPX800 Pros.  I kind of changed but only the 4 to 7 iron. I still play the JPX800 8, 9 and PW.  I play 4 to 7 in Cobra Fly Z XL hybrids.  It allows me to hit high and straight long irons.  I'm quite confident in hitting the green from 180 in.  Was not so with the 4 to 7 Mizuno's. I was inconsistent and the ball wasn't launching high enough.  The change was definitely positive for my game.

I'm a high single cap and have 8 head covers in the bag!