Bridgestone?

driveandputtmachine

It seems Bridgestone has all but given up on the North American market with clubs.  It has been what, 5 years since they released anything?   I used to have contacts there, but they all moved on quite a few years ago.  Anyone have any idea what is going on?  Have they decided to concentrate on golf balls all this time?  If so, they've done poorly since they were 2nd or 3rd in ball sales in the early 2000's and are now what 4th or 5th?

Kuchar is the only one playing any clubs since Couples had moved away from the old J38 or J40's he was using.  Everyone else, Tiger, Bryson, Lexi are ball deals.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

22 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

It seems Bridgestone has all but given up on the North American market with clubs.  It has been what, 5 years since they released anything?   I used to have contacts there, but they all moved on quite a few years ago.  Anyone have any idea what is going on?  Have they decided to concentrate on golf balls all this time?  If so, they've done poorly since they were 2nd or 3rd in ball sales in the early 2000's and are now what 4th or 5th?

Kuchar is the only one playing any clubs since Couples had moved away from the old J38 or J40's he was using.  Everyone else, Tiger, Bryson, Lexi are ball deals.

Couples is still playing the irons. He went back to them after a short run with the pings.

But it is a bummer they don’t release more clubs. I’m still gaming the j15s. Such a great iron. 

• Like 1

The J38, J40, and J15 lines were all so good, and then a few weird releases and poof!  Bridgestone seems to have packed it in for N America at the very least.  Found Japan website and see quite a few Drivers, iron sets, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods.

Such a shame, I still have my J40CB's sitting in my basement.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Tour use the last I saw it was

1. Titleist

2. Callaway

3. Taylor Made

4. Srixon

5. Bridgestone

I believe to total sales market is similar, but not positive other than 1 and 2 are correct.  Bridgestone could be higher in total golf ball sales than TM or Srixon, but based on what I have seen in golf stores around the country Srixon could be 4 or 5.

In the early 2000's the contacts I had there told me their focus was on getting and stabilizing themselves as number 2 in ball sales, I do not think they ever got there.  From what I have read online it is Titleist, Callaway, and then Taylor Made, but I cannot find anything reliable between Srixon and Bridgestone.

I picked up a used JGR driver recently and really like it. That brought me to their website which says that Golf Galaxy is currently a club fitter for them which gave me some hope that if they release an update to the Tour B JGR I might be able to get fitted in Pittsburgh. I didn't realize the Tour B JGR was released in 2018, though. Here's hoping they're just sitting out the supply chain disruption. 

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

they seem to have run out of ideas. a lot of their new iron lines are just rehashed from tourstage days. woods on the market now in japan look cheap. couple years ago they were much nicer. too many great products on the market right now, so unless they change dramatically, not gonna do it.

there mb last year was fire though.

• Like 1

The J15 MB is one of the sweetest looking irons ever made. But Bridgestone doesn't do many lefties. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

4 hours ago, j.b.newton said:

Didn't they used to (or maybe still do) make the balls for several companies that might surprise most people?   The TV model - build basically one product, label it with 4 different brands, generate 4 different revenue streams....

You are correct. The reason Tiger switched to Bridgestone the second Nike stopped making equipment and made the transition so easily is because Bridgestone made the balls Tiger specifically used when he was with Nike Golf. Don't know if this was the case for all of Nike's golf balls but I do know they made Tiger's

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Winn Pistol 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Its different designing for the NA market over the SE Asia market. Takes different ideas, approaches, teams of people, etc. Infrastructure of logistics AND people to get products in the hands of consumers, etc.

Take a look at how hard it was for Honma to get into the NA market with debatably REALLY good products and it looks like they've all but given up as well.

Sure there are enthusiasts like those in this thread who would love for their equipment to be released here - but 5 or even 5,000 enthusiasts dont pay the bills. They need hundreds of thousands and taking market share from the big OEMs is a ten-year and multimillion dollar undertaking.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I really wish Bridgestone would get back into the NA iron game. I probably should have kept my J15 MB irons and am really enjoying my J33 CB irons. Both are very well done understated irons that feel great. An update of the J33 CB irons with legal grooves would be great. Unfortunately, Bridgestone just isn’t interested in the NA golf equipment market. 

DDC37575-2AD8-4C71-91A2-BEEC2A5511D7.jpeg

B06779E9-5907-454A-954C-7F4416651D17.jpeg

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, j.b.newton said:

Didn't they used to (or maybe still do) make the balls for several companies that might surprise most people?   The TV model - build basically one product, label it with 4 different brands, generate 4 different revenue streams....

Yes. Bridgestone makes several branded balls for various companies, just like they made the Nike ball Tiger played for years. And now he’s full on Bridgestone, any surprise?

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

As a Canadian, I really wish Bridgestone would put a little more effort in having their clubs available at my local Golftown.  Their J33 CB and Blades back in the day looked so awesome.  In my 20+ years of playing this game, I've only seen their clubs in person once (in Stuart Appleby's bag at the 2005 Canadian Open).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

21 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Tour use the last I saw it was

1. Titleist

2. Callaway

3. Taylor Made

4. Srixon

5. Bridgestone

I believe to total sales market is similar, but not positive other than 1 and 2 are correct.  Bridgestone could be higher in total golf ball sales than TM or Srixon, but based on what I have seen in golf stores around the country Srixon could be 4 or 5.

In the early 2000's the contacts I had there told me their focus was on getting and stabilizing themselves as number 2 in ball sales, I do not think they ever got there.  From what I have read online it is Titleist, Callaway, and then Taylor Made, but I cannot find anything reliable between Srixon and Bridgestone.

I don't doubt that Titelist is number 1 in ball sales by a large margin but I'm not sure how anyone can accurately figure out actual numbers and rankings of balls sold (US or worldwide).  I guess some info can be gathered from financial statements of the companies that are public.  Do any of the big golf retailers release numbers on what they sell?  I'm sure each of the OEM's has an idea where they sit but I have no idea how they gather the info.

I think this may be a byproduct of the major OEM's releasing not one but three or four distinct iron lines every 18 months or so. It eats up a big chunk of buyer interest and shelf space and that squeezes the minor players right off the table. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, cgasucks said:

As a Canadian, I really wish Bridgestone would put a little more effort in having their clubs available at my local Golftown.  Their J33 CB and Blades back in the day looked so awesome.  In my 20+ years of playing this game, I've only seen their clubs in person once (in Stuart Appleby's bag at the 2005 Canadian Open).

When I was playing college golf back in the  day in Vancouver, early 2000s - I remember seeing on guy with a J's Professional Weapon cavity backs. He used to hit the 2 iron a mile. The only stones I have ever saw till I started playing in Japan. It took me a while to realize that Tourstage was a premium brand too. Now I rotate the MR23 Cb with a few other sets. They don't make them like that anymore - Low offset, short blade length, copper underlay, slight preworn sole.

Maybe they just don’t like us. But you can still get their clubs. Often great values on the secondhand market. Also, the 2018 Tour B X-CB are fabulous forged irons that any mid-handicapper or better can play.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Thanks to this thread I spent some time on the JDM Bridgestone website earlier today. Pretty interesting stuff, will have to keep it in mind for next year. Wish they made a putter with a solid face.

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

Just recently picked up a set of j15 mbs… I had to cause they are just easily my favorite looking iron possibly ever made. I love their logo and how the back is just so simple. And they feel as good as they look. If anyone has some j15 cb long irons let me know lol I’m hoping for bridgestone to release a new set of irons! 

I found a barely hit Tour B XD-F 3 wood with a Diamana BF stiff shaft at Edwin Watts near Hilton Head.  The head is very solid and the shots come off the face with as much or more speed than my tour edge or Mizuno fairway woods.   I am getting a lot of pleasure out of that club and scan the web on occasion looking for more of their stuff.  

I just bought 3 to pw J33 Cb set from 2006 this morning🙂 so its a buy back...had a set 6? years ago, will arrive mid next week....have 2002 GBB 10.5 and 2002 TM 200 3wd.....Classic Bag resto...the 905T is just too new....

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

3 hours ago, cubuffs said:

Still have a set of J40CBs in my basement and this thread is seriously making me reconsider taking them out to the range this weekend. 

You definitely should. You are going to kick yourself when you flush one for not playing them.

I still have my j36 pocket cavities in the closet, those where my first real iron set after my dunlop set I had as a teen.

currently playing tour b x-cbs. They are a bit firmer feeling, but still nice and soft out of the middle.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I’ve played Bridgestones for basically the last 10 years. They’ve never really pushed their club line here, only balls. They were every single bit as good and better than all the major OEMs and I loved them because you could get a brand new set for 700-800 retail when everything else was in the 1000-1200 range.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

They are a rubber company, predominantly. They really shine in that ball market with quite the staff and cult following. You have the longest hitter on tour out there with the Tour BX. You have Tiger Woods on brand. Lexi as well. I believe Jason Day plays them along with a few other guys. Not to mention Bridgestone did make the Nike balls with the the last rendition released being, still, one of my favorite golf balls of all time and Brooks, Rory and more guys played that. I'm surprised they don't have more people playing the ball but all of the balls on market are exceptional offerings. These Bridgestone balls get respect but, not as much of a following.

Now, I've never hit their irons but, they look great. I almost pulled the trigger on some TourBX and CBX from 2018 but, ebay priced me out. I've heard only good things but, just never had the opportunity in my price range. Maybe someday.

I played J40 dpc's for a couple years and then found a nice set of j38 CB's for cheap that I bought as a backup.  Turns out I liked them more than the J40's.  Acquired this nearly new set not long ago as backups.  Owned a lot of different iron sets, but the J38 CB is definitely my all time favorite.  

20211224_141702.jpg

20211224_141730.jpg

Edited by NicholasP
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH