2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rickie Fowler and John Tillery

onthebogeytrain

49 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

So you have to be careful with the putting stats on tour. He's currently in the lower portion, in the 170s, but his proximity to hole is also bad, in the 170s. Hard to make a lot of putts if you aren't close to the hole consistently. 

If you were strictly going by putts per round or putts per green, yes. But SG putting takes that into effect.

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

On 2/28/2022 at 6:58 AM, me05501 said:

I saw a down-the-line camera shot of him hitting a mid-iron approach a couple of weeks ago. I'm no coach but it was pretty clear that he was dramatically across the line. It really stuck out in this age of robotic swings on tour. It looked like a swing that would require perfect timing to work on Tour. 

Funny. I stood about 8’ behind him at the Genesis and watched him hit a 200 yard draw around a tree with a long iron… It was simply phenomenal. 

• Like 2

On the subject of his swing and technique, there’s really nothing that much crazy that I think would alter his consistency/long term performance.

He takes the club back outside of his hands but then pulls it back and reroutes it like a normal swing. 
his technique is definitely unique, but it’s not necessarily a miracle, it’s more of a beautiful work of art. 
In a video the PGA tour put out in

2020 about his “swing evolution” Rickie stated that he switched from butch because he wanted something “fresh” and JT helped him work more with his body movements rather than club movements. He’s working towards taking the club back more on a traditional plane which you can see if you look at his swing in 2012 vs last year you can really see a difference. 

Sometimes I really wonder if I didn’t ever switch my clubs or swing if I would have been better/ but you never now. And yes, like a true wrxer I love Rickie and yes I think it’s absolutely adorable that He’s already getting his daughter into golf. 

• Like 1

The genius of Butch is that he doesn't try to change what got them there. A little tweak here or there and a pat on the back or a  kick in the butt is all they need. 

Maybe Butch was trying to motivate Rickie when he compared him to the Kardasians and Rickie got his feelings hurt at which point Butch should have given him a hug and everything would have been okay. 

Full disclosure: I wouldn't touch any of the Kardasians with a 10 foot fork lift. 

3 hours ago, Zitlow said:

The genius of Butch is that he doesn't try to change what got them there. A little tweak here or there and a pat on the back or a  kick in the butt is all they need. 

Maybe Butch was trying to motivate Rickie when he compared him to the Kardasians and Rickie got his feelings hurt at which point Butch should have given him a hug and everything would have been okay. 

Full disclosure: I wouldn't touch any of the Kardasians with a 10 foot fork lift. 

Exactly. JT is a great coach and all, but the difference between him and butch is that butch keeeps their swing the same, he just tweets it like carving a model out of wood. Whereas JT is completely cutting of pieces and changing Rickie’s swing. He’s completely changing the plane of his backswing 

Granted, Butch probably shouldn’t have said that to Rickie, but Rickie shouldn’t have ditched him for it. I don’t know 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zitlow said:

Good points. The kind of ‘advice’ Rickie might not have been wanting to hear at that time in his life, that he will appreciate when he looks back. 

And yes, Kim in particular was far more beautiful prior to all the “augmenting”. 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

He was ranked #1 for 8 weeks in 2011, you couldnt find that yourself? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_number_one_male_golfers

You would think at this point people would be smart enough to not use Wikipedia as a source. Lets try that again. I dont need to click on anything when I know your statement is fake news and Wikipedia is laughable. Do you want me to make him #1 on there for your argument because I can?

Edited by MUNIGRIT

1 hour ago, MUNIGRIT said:

You would think at this point people would be smart enough to not use Wikipedia as a source. Lets try that again. I dont need to click on anything when I know your statement is fake news and Wikipedia is laughable. Do you want me to make him #1 on there for your argument because I can?

You are obviously clueless ......http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=8117 is that laughable also? try to follow along.....Live your life believing Kaymer was never #1

Edited by freeze16172002

42 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

You are obviously clueless ......http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=8117 is that laughable also? try to follow along.....Live your life believing Kaymer was never #1

My bad I thought you were talking Rickie in the Rickie thread. I know Kaymer made it to number 1.

Not too shabby. 3 more like this and he might start to see the light again.

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.32102.rickie-fowler.html/scorecards/r009/2022

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

5 minutes ago, KC13 said:

Not sure Tillery is the issue, it’s the putter.  

Golf. Is. Hard. 

Rickie was number one SG: Putting last week at the Honda through three rounds and finished 8th in the field after a crappy fourth round.  Only one week obviously - and today he wasn't nearly as good but middle of the pack is a damn sight better than he's been.  See what happens tomorrow I guess.

7 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Rickie was number one SG: Putting last week at the Honda through three rounds and finished 8th in the field after a crappy fourth round.  Only one week obviously - and today he wasn't nearly as good but middle of the pack is a damn sight better than he's been.  See what happens tomorrow I guess.

His SG putting over the last couple seasons is bottom tier on tour.  Again, not sure tillery is the issue.  

Always rooting for Rick, seems like a quality human.  Would love to see some putting circa 2017 😉.  

Titleist TSi3 (8°)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 (16.8°)

Ping iBlade (3i/19°)

Ping i59 (4i-Pw)

Ping Glide 4.0 Raw (52S/56S/58T)

Odyssey Marxman XG (44")

Mizuno RB Max (Yellow)

It is 100% NOT JTs fault.  

Rickie is an amazing athlete.  He was able to lean on his extraordinary touch and coordination for years.

as time goes by…..he needs to lean on the fundamentals of a great swing and form.

eventually, his wedges and irons will

improve.  Hopefully, his sg and putting will follow suit.

he’s a great player….fingers crossed that he finds his short game touch soon!

How come the swing coach always cops it in regards to players performance?

I’ve never quite understood the relationship between swing coach and results. As far as I’m concerned a swing coach has one roll, get you swinging the club the best way possible with what you have on offer. If you have had injuries, work with them to get the most out of your swing, if you are tall help you use your levers etc.

I don’t see how the swing coach can be the issue here at the end of the day it’s on course where he is struggling. His miss isn’t the best, his having regular doubles, his putting isn’t the best (due to how far his leaving himself for pars etc) and his course strategy isn’t what it used to be.

You won’t meet a bigger rickie fan, I go into bat for him on the daily here on WRX and I can’t wait for him to return to his past form however as far as I’m concerned if his coach has him swinging the club well that’s all he can ask of him. He needs to work with someone mentally to help him focus, deflect pressure, change his course thinking and work out mentally how to attack the course whilst in a calm manor! 

just my 2c 

Maybe the TM ball doesn't work for him.. Maybe he should switch back to the pro v1 again. Plenty of others have struggled after switching their ball. Although I would assume he's tried this at home.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2022 at 6:07 PM, rkelso184 said:

How come the swing coach always cops it in regards to players performance?

I’ve never quite understood the relationship between swing coach and results. As far as I’m concerned a swing coach has one roll, get you swinging the club the best way possible with what you have on offer. If you have had injuries, work with them to get the most out of your swing, if you are tall help you use your levers etc.

I don’t see how the swing coach can be the issue here at the end of the day it’s on course where he is struggling. His miss isn’t the best, his having regular doubles, his putting isn’t the best (due to how far his leaving himself for pars etc) and his course strategy isn’t what it used to be.

You won’t meet a bigger rickie fan, I go into bat for him on the daily here on WRX and I can’t wait for him to return to his past form however as far as I’m concerned if his coach has him swinging the club well that’s all he can ask of him. He needs to work with someone mentally to help him focus, deflect pressure, change his course thinking and work out mentally how to attack the course whilst in a calm manor! 

just my 2c 

Completely with you on this. I've always liked him. A bit flashy, but by all accounts a genuinely good guy. One who has been great for golf. 

Totally agree on your main point. Don't think this is about a swing coach. Rickie's got game - has shown it in the past, and on some shots it is still clearly there. Something seems to have gone sideways in his brain. He has seemed just unfocussed for awhile now, weird misses, some poor course management choices far too often. He doesn't need to mess around with swing coaches (IMO) - his golf is easily top 50, even top 25 when his head is on right - he really kinda needs a Bagger Vance, someone to help him "find his swing". 

I'm rooting for him though. Always will. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

Rickie, Rickie, Rickie.

+5 (76) after the first round of the RBC. T128 of the 131 players currently left in the field.

Morgan Hoffman who has been on a 2+ yr vision quest in a Costa Rican jungle doing and smoking god knows what spanked him by 5. 

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1