2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Is there a "most accurate" affordable launch monitor?

Over the years, I've had great success using the downrange yardage markers to determine precisely how far I hit each and every club.  (Oh come on, it's not April 1st ....you're not buying into this fantasy, are you?  Me neither, since those little numbered signs are certain to be way off and besides, who can tell where a ball actually lands on the range? But I digress...)

While the number of consumer-grade launch monitors from Garmin, Mevo, Rapsodo and the like are proliferating, for me, it seems that the best use of one of these devices is to determine how far I actually hit each club.  With accurate information, one can make smart decisions on the course and avoid temptations such as, "Well, the laser tells me it's 207 and I think that's about how far I can smoke a five-iron."  Knowing the yardage of each club will also help solve "gapping" problems that plague so many of us.

Having said that, all these instruments claim to be spot-on and state-of-the-art but for sheer ACCURACY distance-wise, is there clear leader(Consumer models only, mind you.  I'm not shelling out $4,000 for a toy even if Tiger loves it!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BenSeattle said:

While the number of consumer-grade launch monitors from Garmin, Mevo, Rapsodo and the like are proliferating, for me, it seems that the best use of one of these devices is to determine how far I actually hit each club.  With accurate information, one can make smart decisions on the course and avoid temptations such as, "Well, the laser tells me it's 207 and I think that's about how far I can smoke a five-iron."  Knowing the yardage of each club will also help solve "gapping" problems that plague so many of us.

If you want it for this best use, just buy a laser rangefinder and check the spots on your range that you hit to - that's what I've done bought one of these, it reviews great for accuracy vs more expensive rangefinders (on Youtube, on-line reviews) I'm in Australia hence the Aus$ pricing. Also does double duty of course when playing.

Oh, and I have a range that uses real golf balls not range balls.image.png.cb3f23a9b40f1f486d4ea25ae4c7fa81.png

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

8 hours ago, BenSeattle said:

Having said that, all these instruments claim to be spot-on and state-of-the-art but for sheer ACCURACY distance-wise, is there clear leader(Consumer models only, mind you.  I'm not shelling out $4,000 for a toy even if Tiger loves it!)

A couple of things to remember:

1. EVERY optical launch monitor calculates distance using a model for the golf ball flight. Every single one. So based on the initial reading you will get a calculated yardage. In the real world if you hit different types of balls the actual results will vary somewhat. It will probably be most notable if you are trying to use range balls.

2. I am pretty sure that all of the consumer radar based models do the same thing. I.e. unlike a Trackman which tracks the entire flight of the ball, the consumer ones do some initial readings and calculate the distance. Again, I'm not 100% sure of this so it is best to double check.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

The reason(s) I haven’t yet gotten one yet is (and maybe someone can help clarify) is just the limitations with the radar units.…

1) Range balls at range. I don’t think any of the cheaper LMs factor in a normalization for the golf ball but could be wrong. Mevo+?

2) slope of range

my local range is elevated to a downhill landing area that depending on where the tees are I’m not even sure the TrackMan can see the bottom therefore sometimes I’m not sure what it’s tracking as the entire flight of the ball. Assuming lower end units would be even worse in that regard. 

3. Keep waiting on that miracle photo unit (GC3 with a price point of $2500) kind of thing. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

They keep saying may I know playbetter will be doing pre orders as soon as the first shipments go out. I pre ordered on am I’m staying to think it’s a golf myth… a launch monitor that’s comparable to the gc4 n trackman? At least that’s what the ppl that have it are saying about the system with its newest updates! I’m supposed to get mine this month. 🙏🤞🤞

20 minutes ago, cmatthews77 said:

The reason(s) I haven’t yet gotten one yet is (and maybe someone can help clarify) is just the limitations with the radar units.…

1) Range balls at range. I don’t think any of the cheaper LMs factor in a normalization for the golf ball but could be wrong. Mevo+?

It's not a problem just for radar units.  It's an issue for ALL LM's.

either

1) the unit is tracking actual flight and measure an accurate distance.   At least accurate for the ball you hit on the range - which may or may not have anything to do with the distance you might hit your gamer ball. 

2) it just measures the launch condition and calculates the ball flight, and therefore distance.  Both a) the launch conditions itself can be effected by the ball. and b) the ball flight calculations will always depend on various assumptions about atmospheric conditions and ball aerodynamics.   So no guarantee on how close it will be to your actual results on course. 

Any kind of "normalization" will always just be a guess to help get it closer.  There is no practical way to be able to accurately handle all possible combinations of range conditions + balls  vs on course conditions and balls.

For the data to be truly useful, you will always have to put in some effort on your own to "convert" or apply some adjustment to the range data for it to be useful on course.

Edited by Stuart_G

They are all fun toys that will get you in the ballpark but the only way to truly dial in is on course with the ball you play.

Take any of these LM’s to the range and you still have to account for hitting “range balls”.

Hit any of these LM’s in your garage, basement or backyard net and you still have to account for hitting indoors and/or off a mat.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

2 hours ago, this_is_golf said:

The only problem with the R10 is that it’s not available for months. 

And that it’s not very accurate if you’re using it as a serious tool to get better. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Garmin R10 is by far the best device in the sub $1000 price range. It is accurate, has a ton of metrics, and is a very fun golf sim too. Comes with 5 E6 connect courses new out of the box. I have a full garage sim that was around $1200 all in. 

This is what I was hoping to build this fall. Good to know it might be worth the effort. 

<edit> I would also take it on course as I generally have time to set it up behind me while I play..

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I personally love my rapsodo.  Scooped it up for $350 last cyber Monday sale and it's been very helpful with my new set of irons.  It's also been very informative on gaining club and ball speed for me.  I use it a lot into my net with the same prov1 balls and get pretty consistent feedback and think it matches up pretty well when I'm out on the course.  My $0.02

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peezy said:

I personally love my rapsodo.  Scooped it up for $350 last cyber Monday sale and it's been very helpful with my new set of irons.  It's also been very informative on gaining club and ball speed for me.  I use it a lot into my net with the same prov1 balls and get pretty consistent feedback and think it matches up pretty well when I'm out on the course.  My $0.02

Is that into a net outside? It does that?

I have been VERY happy with my PRGR

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Also, does anyone know of a super-forgiving, high-MOI set of Players irons, muscleback category, that come stock with 55-gram graphite shafts?

I feel attacked. 🤣

On a related note: Go buy a Shotscope v3, play a lot, go home, check what you hit. $150 new on ebay sometimes. The range or even golf sim will never be as accurate as real world data. Gives you incentive to play more as well. Even if you find a range that uses ProV1s it will still never replicate what you do on the course, because hitting at nothing is different than hitting at a target.

Also, keep an eye on your approach shots. Pin is 140, you pull out your 140 club, and it's always 10 yards short. Well that's your 130 club. Etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

I think you are better off finding a 9-hole "executive" course where you are hitting a bunch of different irons and hybrids.  Ours has the following length holes from the back tees:

1) 190 (6)

2) 135 (PW)

3) 110 (54)

4) 172 (7)

5) 235 (hybrid)

6) 320 (hybrid)

7) 128 (gap/PW)

8 ) 181 (6)

9) 345 (driver)

Go out there sometime when nobody is around, hit a bunch of balls equivalent to what you normally play, and figure out your distances.  If you need to hit your 8, for example, cheat up on the tee 10 yards if you are 175 out from the tee marker 

This is how I learned my distances.  The range is always iffy; balls are different and the ball doesn't often stop on a wintertime range especially.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

I think you are better off finding a 9-hole "executive" course where you are hitting a bunch of different irons and hybrids.  Ours has the following length holes from the back tees:

1) 190 (6)

2) 135 (PW)

3) 110 (54)

4) 172 (7)

5) 235 (hybrid)

6) 320 (hybrid)

7) 128 (gap/PW)

8 ) 181 (6)

9) 345 (driver)

Go out there sometime when nobody is around, hit a bunch of balls equivalent to what you normally play, and figure out your distances.  If you need to hit your 8, for example, cheat up on the tee 10 yards if you are 175 out from the tee marker 

This is how I learned my distances.  The range is always iffy; balls are different and the ball doesn't often stop on a wintertime range especially.  

I pretty much do the same thing... out on the course on a quiet day without any wind to speak of I'll drop a few balls at various yardages (measured with a laser, of course) as I go and see where the ball lands on the green.  And, yes, I always fix all my ball marks.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Like Peezy, I bought a Rapsodo based upon the 3rd party reviews around accuracy. I’ve used my rangefinder to measure distance and hit to that flag and distances are very accurate. In addition, I use it with my golf net in the backyard and it gives me launch angle, ball speed, and distance, which is far better then net use with no data. 

I think the R10 would be great if you want a permanent simulator setup. However, I’ve read about some issues with R10 spin data, which is the one thing I wish Rapsodo had. Otherwise, I would consider jumping to a Mevo+, which my buddy loves. 

Edited by zap311
  • Like 3

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond