Poker chips are for poker tables

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

The funniest thing I ever saw as a ball marker was a glass eye. Now before some tenderfoots easily offended start I will issue a disclaimer--- I am not making fun of anyone who has a glass eye--

Man this has been 40 years ago. I had a golf bud who was a nut and a half and he really had a glass eye. We were playing two guys for somewhat a substantial amount. They had us over the ropes and we had pressed. My bud had ran up a pretty decent lag to about 2 feet and they had a 6 footer to tie the hole and win 2 bets. Now we were on the other side of the hole and they gave us the option to finish out and he said I will wait. We were playing a down match and putting everything out. He pulled out his glass eye and marked the ball. They freaked out and missed their putt. They still got us one bet. My bud reached into his bag got his eye patch and put the glass eye in a Crown Royal bag and told me he would have to clean it real well at home no telling what kind of **** was on that green. I knew about the eye but they did not and it freaked them out. That guy his name was Donnie and he has long passed on. I do not know how he did it because of depth perception but he was one heck of a putter. He was one fun guy but gambled seriously and I was used to some of his antics. I do know after that when he made a game everyone stated as part of the game "no glass eye ball markers"

great story @BIG STU ... that's why i consider you a legend around these forums! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

great story @BIG STU ... that's why i consider you a legend around these forums! 🙂 

Thanks man I am me love me or hate me straight off the trailer at you---- Have always been like that in life--- Perhaps that is why I have had so much fun in life leading to some crazy experiences---- And guess what? I am still like that

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, mokedaddy said:

I love that Fitz was using a poker chip.  Makes me like him even more.

Figures. I mean the guy chips left hand low!

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

Figures. I mean the guy chips left hand low!

I do too.  Although I am left handed….

• Haha 4

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I use them semi-regularly, keep several in the bag.  The main reason I like them is they are easy to fish out of my pocket.  In particular, I have several PUMA shorts that have pockets that are made of an impossibly annoying stretchy, clingy material AND have the little "mystery pocket" inside the right front pocket.  All it does is snag tees, hide coins, etc. Its a bug, not a feature. Otherwise the shorts are nice, so I wear them. But getting a dime out would be a lengthy procedure.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bcjim said:

I use them semi-regularly, keep several in the bag.  The main reason I like them is they are easy to fish out of my pocket.  In particular, I have several PUMA shorts that have pockets that are made of an impossibly annoying stretchy, clingy material AND have the little "mystery pocket" inside the right front pocket.  All it does is snag tees, hide coins, etc. Its a bug, not a feature. Otherwise the shorts are nice, so I wear them. But getting a dime out would be a lengthy procedure.

Get one of them magnetic hat clip ball marker combos and you'll never need to fish through your pockets searching for a ball marker again. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Get one of them magnetic hat clip ball marker combos and you'll never need to fish through your pockets searching for a ball marker again. 

I do use them at times. Problem with them is often take them in the house, leave them in the car, anywhere but the bag. Also, I had 2 in the last year lose the little magnet (seems they a glued on) from the marker. They then don't stick to the tool. And finally, they stick to my putter when I try to tap the marker flat if its on someone's line.

They are useful though, no dispute there.

46 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

I got so fed up with tees and ball markers finding their way into those little pockets that I took scissors and curt every one of them out.

Damn good idea! Who's going to know?  It's a private matter between you and your pocket.

And for the record, if you wanted ball markers or tees to easily fall into that little pocket, they never would.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Damn good idea! Who's going to know?  It's a private matter between you and your pocket.

And for the record, if you wanted ball markers or tees to easily fall into that little pocket, they never would.

The other option is to sew them shut. I had to do that with one that had threads I just could not cut.

If a poker chip distracts you, I'd say you need to improve your focus on your putting.😁

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:44 PM, hammergolf said:

I use a Dominican peso that my caddie at Casa De Campo gave me. 

You must be a helluva player!  Your caddie paid you!😀

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

... I have a very zen like approach to putting and it has always been the strongest part of my game, especially speed control. I allow my subconscious to take in the line and speed without actively thinking about where or how hard I want to hit my putt. Stand over it looking at the area the putt will travel and it is almost like a toaster bell goes off in my head letting me know my brain has the line and speed. I would compare to to walking down a rocky path where you look ahead at where you will be walking and not where you place each foot because your subconscious has already processed that information. 

... A poker chip interferes with that process and makes it more difficult for my brain to take in the line if the chip is near it. If it is a good 4-6 feet away from that line it isn't a problem on a longer putt and a few feet away on a short putt it is again no problem. That said, I do recognize this is a personal problem as the poker chip boat sailed long ago and they are an accepted method for marking your ball so it is what it is. As always there are dueling opinions here and poker chip folks don't understand the problem and anti poker chip folks can't believe others don't get it. 

... And I have played with hundreds that have used a poker chip over the years but not once has any of them carried a smaller darker coin they could use when their chip is on or near another players line. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Poker chips on a green look horrible.  Problem is too many golfers seem to use them.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

1 hour ago, sandpounder said:

Poker chips on a green look horrible.  Problem is too many golfers seem to use them.

... Imagine if this poor guy used a poker chip:

Tom Weiskopf's nickname during his PGA Tour career was "The Towering Inferno." He was tall and it didn’t take long for him to explode.

His most memorable explosion might have been when he embarrassed his playing partner, James Stahl of Cincinnati, in the 1996 U.S. Senior Open at Canterbury County Club.

He complained very publicly to Stahl about his use of a “shiny” coin to mark his ball.

That wasn’t bad enough, but then he continued his rant to anyone who would listen on the very next tee. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

Tom Weiskopf's nickname during his PGA Tour career was "The Towering Inferno." He was tall and it didn’t take long for him to explode.

His most memorable explosion might have been when he embarrassed his playing partner, James Stahl of Cincinnati, in the 1996 U.S. Senior Open at Canterbury County Club.

He complained very publicly to Stahl about his use of a “shiny” coin to mark his ball.

That wasn’t bad enough, but then he continued his rant to anyone who would listen on the very next tee. 

Sam you acted in the movies alongside Dustin Hoffman.  He has basically disappeared after all the sexual harassment accusations against him a few years ago.  Did you see any of that behavior when you knew him?  

38 minutes ago, chisag said:

Weiskopf would b**** about not having anything to complain about…

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 minute ago, sandpounder said:

Sam you acted in the movies alongside Dustin Hoffman.  He has basically disappeared after all the sexual harassment accusations against him a few years ago.  Did you see any of that behavior when you knew him?  

... Dustin was "staying in character" when I filmed with him. Geena Davis and I were told not to speak in his presence. He was afraid he was too much like his character from Midnight Cowboy. We were shooting a big crowd scene outside the Drake Hotel and needed Police and Fireman for crowd control as well as being in the shot. Crowd of about 250 and they were at the perimeter which worked for the scene as well as keeping fans/vehicles from entering the scene. They asked for a picture with all of us, but Hoffman refused because he didn't want to break character. Pa-lease. 

... Next take some cars wandered onto the set along with some people pointing at cameras LOL. The director told Hoffman he had no choice so he joined us on the stairs with the Police/Fireman and smiled for two pictures then basically ran away. Scene went back to normal. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Dustin was "staying in character" when I filmed with him. Geena Davis and I were told not to speak in his presence. He was afraid he was too much like his character from Midnight Cowboy. We were shooting a big crowd scene outside the Drake Hotel and needed Police and Fireman for crowd control as well as being in the shot. Crowd of about 250 and they were at the perimeter which worked for the scene as well as keeping fans/vehicles from entering the scene. They asked for a picture with all of us, but Hoffman refused because he didn't want to break character. Pa-lease. 

... Next take some cars wandered onto the set along with some people pointing at cameras LOL. The director told Hoffman he had no choice so he joined us on the stairs with the Police/Fireman and smiled for two pictures then basically ran away. Scene went back to normal. 

Dustin Hoffman · Geena Davis · Andy Garcia · Joan Cusack · D'angelo Ferreri - Sam Derence ·

Sam, that movie was "Hero".  I remember the scene!

Edited by sandpounder
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

James Stahl was the US Senior Amateur champion. 

Here is the story:

https://apnews.com/article/5c2e3c707ef346c2e64404cf229d05f1

A quote:

``Ask anyone who has ever played golf,″ Weiskopf said. ``When you are 3 feet or less from the hole and near someone’s line, you don’t mark the ball with a quarter. You mark it with a non-reflective penny.″

LOL it seems that I have never played golf!  Do all pros mark the ball with a penny in that situation?  Would an old dime be okay?

LOL I also wonder what Weiskopf would have done it Mr. Stahl had used a poker chip!

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... And I have played with hundreds that have used a poker chip over the years but not once has any of them carried a smaller darker coin they could use when their chip is on or near another players line. 

I’ll take you at your word that you have played with “hundreds” of guys that use poker chips, though multiples of a hundred is a LOT of guys that you played with, much less hundreds using poker chips.  Probably you just mean a lot of guys…

My experience has been EXACTLY the opposite; I don’t remember ever playing with a poker chip user that did NOT have a small marker readily available.  But I’m old; I’ve probably just forgotten. 

I’ve always been a spot putter, much more so since serious eye trouble with my right eye ruined my depth perception. I actually like it when another player’s marker is close to my line; it helps me visualize the line a little more accurately, and helps me pick my spot.  I don’t care if it’s a coin or a poker chip or anything else; in fact, on a long putt, bigger is better.

• Like 1