PGATSS Ruined My Ventus Black

FourteenBirds

45.5” driver, brought it to PGA Tour Superstore to get it tipped to 44.5”. Just picked it up and it measures between 44”-44.25”. As you all know, this 1/4in is a bigger deal coming off the tip than it would’ve been coming off the butt end. I had been going back and forth b/t tipping 1/2” and 1”, so 1 and 1/4” is just BAD. $360 Ventus Black. 

Has this happened to anyone else w/ PGATSS? What do I do? Can I get a replacement from them? If I take it to a reputable club builder, is there a way to extend it? What would you do if you were in my shoes, besides never trusting PGATSS ever again?

Edited by FourteenBirds

• FourteenBirds changed the title to PGATSS Ruined My Ventus Black
4 minutes ago, FourteenBirds said:

45.5” driver, brought it to PGA Tour Superstore to get it tipped to 44.5”. Just picked it up and it measures between 44”-44.25”. As you all know, this 1/4in is a bigger deal coming off the tip than it would’ve been coming off the butt end. I had been going back and forth b/t tipping 1/2” and 1”, so 1 and 1/4” is just BAD. $360 Ventus Black. 

Has this happened to anyone else w/ PGATSS? What do I do? Can I get a replacement from them? If I take it to a reputable club builder, is there a way to extend it? What would you do if you were in my shoes, besides never trusting PGATSS ever again?

How can it measure between those dimensions unless you measure it alternatively in a butcher’s freezer and a baker’s oven ? 

if it’s a quarter inch short, I doubt whether it matters which end was trimmed. But you might be able to argue the point. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pastit said:

How can it measure between those dimensions unless you measure it alternatively in a butcher’s freezer and a baker’s oven ? 

if it’s a quarter inch short, I doubt whether it matters which end was trimmed. But you might be able to argue the point. 

Probably means the measurement falls between those two numbers, not that the measurement is changing…

Im definitely in the “it probably won’t matter” camp on these types of issues, but you should expect a simple job to be completed correctly especially on such an expensive shaft.  

OP:

On the subject of it being a simple job, why didn’t you just cut the inch off yourself?

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Why I didn’t do it myself? In a word: inexperience. I get that it’s a small issue, but it’s enough for me to resolve to do this stuff myself going forward. I spend too long reading about club building on forums like this one to not just do it myself. Really disappointed in this particular job but am also excited to start handling this stuff myself. Btw yeah the static measurement is now between 44 inches and 44 1/4 inches. Idk, maybe I could’ve just said 44 1/8. 

Tough call here.  You can try to argue that their work was shoddy/done incorrectly and demand a replacement but I highly doubt PGASS will comply.  1/4" off the tip isn't going to dramatically affect launch or spin. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I would call their customer service number and explain you situation and ask for a higher up to make a decision of making it right.  Im sure this would be your best bet rather than simply eating it or going into the store which is bound by the corporate protocols. Good luck and I am sorry to hear this OP...sucks!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

42 minutes ago, FourteenBirds said:

Can you take a photo of your tip? I'm curious to see the distance from the adapter to the Velecore "E'.

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

1/4” can be due to measuring equipment used.  

if you are using a club ruler, it shouldnt really fall between 44-44.25, it should be a specific value. If you are using some sort of measurement that introduces variances in the measurement, then that’s a problem too. 

• Like 2

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I took 2 brand new wedges in to PGASS to be cut to a certain length. They cut the 54 degree shorter then the 58 degree. I asked them to make it right and they cut the 58 degree even shorter  as a way to fix. Wedges ended up way too short. Called corporate and they had the GM of the store call me. He was unable to source the same shafts but made it right in the end. 

Just now, FourteenBirds said:

@Cellis golf ball included for scale

image.jpg

Gotcha, I have one being shipped to me and the guy couldn’t tell me the exact tipping and I figured it was 1.25”, and yours looks exactly the same. That’s unfortunate and a bad mess up since you didn’t want that. Have you tried hitting it at all yet? I do agree they owe you another shaft though. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Any tipping under .5" is just a rounding error. Hell even .5" doesnt really do anything. Maybe .1-.2* of launch and 50-75 RPM spin difference - on a robot - so no issue on a human. I see shafts tip trimmed 1/8-1/4" to remove hosel prep and etc when moving to smaller adapters. No issue here regardless of what shaft it is.

Now, when you send a shaft to someone for work - especially a premium shaft like a Ventus - the customer should be getting what they asked for. If you ask for 1" you get 1", not "somewhere around one inch". So out of sheer principle it's incorrect.

Given both my opinions above its up to you on whether it's worth it to pursue an issue with PGATSS about it and what your personal time is worth in doing so.

Yes, you can extend the shaft BOTH ways 1/4" to bring it back toy our asking spec. 

It's slightly unorthodox, but you CAN add a 1/4" spacer like a 1/4" piece of an old .335 shaft and put it down the driver adapter before re-epoxying the Ventus back in and itll push it back up and the remaining 1-1 1/8" of seated area is still just fine and secure. BUT since it's already been glued in, you're going to see 1/4" of hosel prep/epoxy on the tip of your shaft now. 

You can also deal w/ the extra tip trim and extend the butt end 1/4". Also a non-issue here that will not effect anything meaningful besides OAL.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I don't know how far shafts fit into a Cobra adapter, but it looks like the shaft has been tipped 3/4"-1" from stock.  Probably closer to 1" as I assume that adapter has to allow for some screw depth.  

But like @Golfrnut mentioned above, you can have variations simply due to what is being used to measure.  My Mitchell board at home measures differently than the ruler up at Golf Galaxy they use for club building.  It's about a 1/4" difference.  

Did you tell them to tip it 1"?  Or did you tell them to make it play 44.5" by tipping it?  Those two requests could result in different length clubs.  

• Like 1

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

54 minutes ago, FourteenBirds said:

@Cellis here’s a picture. 

@Golfrnut the guy measured it on a club ruler and said it was between those two measurements 

image.jpg

If that’s the case, I would surely never go there again. Giving you a ‘between x and y measurement’ that’s a quarter inch apart means they really have no intent on accuracy.  ‘Good enough’ is not a quarter inch tolerance IMO. 

Edited by Golfrnut

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

2 hours ago, FourteenBirds said:

Did you ask them to make it 44.5 or did you ask them to trim one inch off the tip. I am smelling a measuring method difference.

• Like 2

Measuring method/tool can easily account for 1/4" in either direction. This is why I work on my clubs myself, I know what length I want on my Mitchell ruler and I can do it exactly how I want. Sorry this happened to you but it's just something that's going to happen when you're using different shops that use different tools. 

My goal going in: tip the shaft whatever length (knowing I wasn’t too far away) to get it to 44.5”. 

They measured it at 45.5”, so I asked them to tip 1”, and their build sheet read: tip 1”, final playing length 44.5”. 

The club was measured on their same ruler before and after the “one inch tipping”. Their ruler said 45.5” before the “one inch tipping” and it says between 44 and 441/4 after the “one inch tipping” 

3 minutes ago, FourteenBirds said:

My goal going in: tip the shaft whatever length (knowing I wasn’t too far away) to get it to 44.5”. 

They measured it at 45.5”, so I asked them to tip 1”, and their build sheet read: tip 1”, final playing length 44.5”. 

The club was measured on their same ruler before and after the “one inch tipping”. Their ruler said 45.5” before the “one inch tipping” and it says between 44 and 441/4 after the “one inch tipping” 

If its on the buildsheet and you saw on their ruler thats its not what you asked for I would go back and see what can be done.

1/4" won't hurt you... but i can understand that it can bug a lot people if its not exact. Im just confused how its 45.5 before then you provide a range for the after. I would go back and show them that its off by having them measure to get the exact finish measure then show the build sheet.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I agree it probably won't make a huge difference but every 1/4th inch counts on a shaft. You paid them for a specific service and they didn't fulfill your request.

Now really comes down to how much you care and how much time you have. I bet this could be pushed down the proper channels of PGASS and eventually it could be replaced. Could be several phone calls and emails. Let them know you have a post on the biggest golf forum about the stores inept club work.

• Like 1

All they had to do was measure 1" and lop that off the tip. Seems easy. Maybe ask them for the tip that was cut off if they still have it?

Edited by skujan57

TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fairway 3HL, 7

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 5, 6

Mizuno MP54 7-P

Maltby TSW 50/6, 54/10, 58/6

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 34"

I care a lot about getting it right, and I reached out to them. Here’s the response I got: 

Hello Mr FourteenBirds. Sorry for any inconvenience. I spoke with our tech that did the work and correct, you did ask your shaft to be tipped which resulted in your shaft being shorter. When it comes to golf tipping is a very serious game changer because it affects ball flight. What it looks like is we failed to finish it to your desired length and we are ready to add the extension and do the work why you wait so you are no longer inconvenienced. Please respond to this e-mail with any questions or concerns. Thank you for being a valued customer and we apologize for your inconvenience.

*If all they did was take 1” off the tip (as per the build sheet!!), and it started at 45.5”, how could it be below 44.5”?? In other words, if it’s below 44.5”, they tipped it more than 1”* 

My response: 

Man this is not an “inconvenience”. This is a $360 shaft that has been deformed. As you’ve said, tipping is a “game changer”, and to get it wrong is indeed “very serious”. I am not interested in a band-aid extension. I’m looking for you to make this right. I would like a refund, and would like to file a claim for a replacement shaft.

PGASS:
Hello. We will replace the shaft but understand that when you asked for your shaft to be tipped, that takes precedence over length which is corrected with an extension because of how you are requesting your club to play.  We will get the shaft ordered and will keep you updated when the shafts arrives.

????

If the 1” tipping had taken precedence like he’s saying, the club would measure 44.5” right now! The build sheet reads ** 1” tipping, 44.5” playing length **.

I sure WISH the 1” tipping had taken precedence, because if it had, my 45.5” driver would now be 44.5”

Edited by FourteenBirds
  • Like 2

All I have is a couple pennies to throw in on this, but every time I have dealt with anything custom, special, etc form PGASS, they have either messed up or been completely wrong or incompetent. Edwin Watts has been a close second. If you aren't sure about what I am asking, don't act like you have the answer because I clearly know what you just said is BS.

I hate dealing with them unless it's something off the rack that doesn't need adjusting or ordering. I'll pick up shirts, hats and balls from them when it's convenient, that's about it.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

41 minutes ago, FourteenBirds said:

PGASS:
Hello. We will replace the shaft but understand that when you asked for your shaft to be tipped, that takes precedence over length which is corrected with an extension because of how you are requesting your club to play.  We will get the shaft ordered and will keep you updated when the shafts arrives.

This part makes it sound like they didn't or don't understand that your tipping request AND the playing length change were the same, and that they thought the amount you wanted it tipped would result in a different playing length than you requested. Either wires are crossed on their end OR they are trying to explain away a mistake. You can even remove the whole conversation about the importance of tipping from the equation and simply state "The club was 45.5" and I wanted it shortened to 44.5" via tipping, it is now less than 44.25" which means it was either tipped more than an inch OR someone also removed length from the handle, both of which are unacceptable". Thankfully they said they'll replace it, but I certainly wouldn't trust them to do the rest of the work. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel completely correct. I could’ve either said hey tip this until it’s 44.5” and they would’ve taken an inch off to accomplish that. OR I could’ve said tip this 1”, and if they did that it would measure 44.5” on the same ruler that initially measured 45.5”. 

No matter what, we have more than 1” of difference from pre-build to post-build. Like you said, they either over-tipped or decided to take some off the butt end of their own accord. 

It’s wrong. 

Edit: I also see what you’re saying and I’m afraid I didn’t make my point to them clear. I should have just said hey- 45.5” to start - requested an inch of tipping - more than an inch was cut off. 

@hurley999s that would be completely unacceptable! Though when I specified that my shaft is the VeloCore version, they stopped replying to me.

I should add, I’m 100% open to this thread being about how PGASS ultimately did the right thing, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that that’s the way this goes. I will definitely follow up here and create a new post as well to make it clear that they did the right thing if that happens. If they try to pass off a made-for shaft as a premium Ventus with VeloCore, that will be extremely disappointing, and anyone reading this would of course be well advised to steer well clear of their services. 

Edited by FourteenBirds
  • Like 1