2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

On 4/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, gioguy21 said:

i've had these for about 2 weeks now. the more i use them the more confidence i get. they are really long tho distance wise. been hitting my 7i between 190-195 - but still with enough spin to hold firm greens. 

my apex tcb was almost always 175-180 (arguably wayy to much spin tho). 

i'm loving the feel as well. like a muted clicky feel. 

I found the same thing… my Alex TCB are much shorter loft for loft….. it’s related to the much higher levels of spin coming from the TCB. You can see the i230 hop and stop while the TCB rip back. 

On 4/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, doctor220 said:

More ball speed or what is difference launch wise? They def don’t go as far as like p790s right? Kinda similar, fly 7I 185ish with p750s and really don’t want to hit it 200 with these and have to redo gaps. Expecting a little more ball speed.

well, launch is about the same as is peak height. but spin is down so it's going a long way. ive been absolutely crushing these irons tbh. hit a 3i from 245 out on a par five, hit the middle of the green and threw it to the back. also, hit 3i on a 250y par 3 and was pin high. 

theres def more ballspeed than my apex TCBs, almost a club longer actually. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

13 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I found the same thing… my Alex TCB are much shorter loft for loft….. it’s related to the much higher levels of spin coming from the TCB. You can see the i230 hop and stop while the TCB rip back. 

i was playing chrome soft X LS when in the TCB to offset the spin. after a few rounds with the i230s...i may have to go to a slightly spinnier ball in case i'm playing super fast firm greens *ie tournaments*. 

debating between the TP5 or standard chromesoft x 

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

I’ve been battling with the distances of these.. spin is adequate but the stronger lofts compared to blades were giving me what I felt was too much distance. I replaced c-tapers with x7 and in these heads and really got launch and distance under control. Probably took 5-7 yards off the pw-8i and got my flight window back into where I want to see it. Huge fan of the ease of use of these heads.. just point and shoot

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmbsawy said:

I’ve been battling with the distances of these.. spin is adequate but the stronger lofts compared to blades were giving me what I felt was too much distance. I replaced c-tapers with x7 and in these heads and really got launch and distance under control. Probably took 5-7 yards off the pw-8i and got my flight window back into where I want to see it. Huge fan of the ease of use of these heads.. just point and shoot

they're incredibly straight. my buddies noted that playing the last 2x this week. 

Distance has gotten a bit better as temps rise. Still seem a 1/2 club short.

As a side note, ICrossover, looks funky and sounds even worse but man it is a rocket launcher.

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

1 minute ago, Mookie91 said:

Distance has gotten a bit better as temps rise. Still seem a 1/2 club short.

As a side note, ICrossover, looks funky and sounds even worse but man it is a rocket launcher.

1/2 short? what were you using before? RBZ? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, gioguy21 said:

1/2 short? what were you using before? RBZ? lol

Mizzy 225 and the 230s are power spec. Spin a lot more than the 225s…

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

1 minute ago, Mookie91 said:

Mizzy 225 and the 230s are power spec. Spin a lot more than the 225s…

same shaft? the i230s spun less than most players cavity back heads i've tried...intrigued (not being a jerk legitimately interested)

Having spent a bit of time with my i230 set (standard L/L/L), Modus 105S, I think I like them.  Previous sets of irons (in Ping) were Eye 2, Zing, Zing2, i20 and i200’s (interwoven with Mizuno, Adams and TM)

The i230’s for me are very accurate, good dispersion, repeatable distance and feel soft.  Biggest thing I am trying to get used to is that they feel very different from past Ping irons, in my opinion.  At impact, there is a soft click, whether sweet spot or elsewhere.  And in my opinion, it’s not a solid feeling at impact, just a soft click.  I know feel is subjective, but my only knock on this iron is that regardless of where you reasonably hit it on the club face, the feedback is the same.  Nutted in the center or out on the toe, its all the same.

I may get used to that, and maybe I am the only person in the world that feels this way, but I do not enjoy the impact of these irons.  Now, all of the other factors may overcome my initial reluctance, but that is my initial reaction.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

👀👀1609075174_Screenshot_20230414-1740362.jpg.14f9cce0e59756a09aaf9c991ebf3c5b.jpg

Awesome! For those that have the custom ferrules, are you taking the shafts out and reassembling yourselves? Is there a good shop to send them to that do the ping clubs with their weird adapter thing in the hosel? What does it cost? Sorry for all the questions. Love the look!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gerger said:

Awesome! For those that have the custom ferrules, are you taking the shafts out and reassembling yourselves? Is there a good shop to send them to that do the ping clubs with their weird adapter thing in the hosel? What does it cost? Sorry for all the questions. Love the look!

- cut the collar off collared ferrules

- epoxy them into hosel

- push bbf ferrule onto shaft per usual

- use no sag epoxy and a few centering beads

I had my friend do this for me because I didn't have the time but I consulted him a bit. I can give you his info if you message me.

17 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

About to pull the trigger on a iCrossover 4. 

I posted this in the iCrossover thread. Im finding the i230 4 iron just as easy to hit if not easier-

I bought the i230 and iCrossover 4 iron's to see which one worked out best for me. Ive been playing the i230's and have been playing a hybrid in the 4 iron spot but the i230 5 iron was so easy to elevate and hit I thought I would give the 4 iron a go. iCrossover has tour 2.0 shaft and the i230 4 iron has Modus 105 shaft.

I'm finding I actually hit the i230 higher with more carry than the crossover. Crossover is more of a flatter flight that tends to run a bit more when played from the fairway but great stopping power on long par 3's from the tee. Crossover may be a couple yards longer but not much which was surprising. Forgiveness seems to be a toss up between the 2 which was also surprising. I may end up returning the crossover for the 3 Iron model and getting rid of a my 19* hybrid.

For reference my swing speed with an iron is around 85 mph, 5 HC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gjunky said:

I posted this in the iCrossover thread. Im finding the i230 4 iron just as easy to hit if not easier-

I bought the i230 and iCrossover 4 iron's to see which one worked out best for me. Ive been playing the i230's and have been playing a hybrid in the 4 iron spot but the i230 5 iron was so easy to elevate and hit I thought I would give the 4 iron a go. iCrossover has tour 2.0 shaft and the i230 4 iron has Modus 105 shaft.

I'm finding I actually hit the i230 higher with more carry than the crossover. Crossover is more of a flatter flight that tends to run a bit more when played from the fairway but great stopping power on long par 3's from the tee. Crossover may be a couple yards longer but not much which was surprising. Forgiveness seems to be a toss up between the 2 which was also surprising. I may end up returning the crossover for the 3 Iron model and getting rid of a my 19* hybrid.

For reference my swing speed with an iron is around 85 mph, 5 HC.

Ya, based on all the reviews, I expected this to be a towering, hybrid-like flight. Right now I'd rather gas a 5-iron if I'm in the fairway. Admittedly I'm still getting used to this thing, but as above, it's a fantastic club coming out of trees, playing low bullets, etc. What it's not, so far, is a GIR machine from the fairway.

It's a long ways until I give up on it, but if I'm honest it's not looking good. I'm wondering if it's because of the shaft difference...

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

Ya, based on all the reviews, I expected this to be a towering, hybrid-like flight. Right now I'd rather gas a 5-iron if I'm in the fairway. Admittedly I'm still getting used to this thing, but as above, it's a fantastic club coming out of trees, playing low bullets, etc. What it's not, so far, is a GIR machine from the fairway.

It's a long ways until I give up on it, but if I'm honest it's not looking good. I'm wondering if it's because of the shaft difference...

Dropped a ventus blue HB in it...actually ended up best with R flex...it can be elevated now.  The Alta allowed me to get it up in the air too, but less consistently.  

I find it not too much lower than my i525 4 (3i -1*/1 flat).  

It's about 1.5-2 clubs longer than the 4 but that's what I was looking for.  Fills the gap left by my 4wd to 4i...but since I hate woods it's a great layup club and I've knocked it on some greens too.  

• Thanks 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I moved on from my i230's. This was my first set of Ping irons, I just couldn't get comfortable with the high bounce. Is that something Ping is just known for? I noticed even the Blueprints have considerable bounce. I just didn't like how the leading edge doesn't sit flush with the ground. Bummer because I loved that I rarely missed left with them. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

10 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

I moved on from my i230's. This was my first set of Ping irons, I just couldn't get comfortable with the high bounce. Is that something Ping is just known for? I noticed even the Blueprints have considerable bounce. I just didn't like how the leading edge doesn't sit flush with the ground. Bummer because I loved that I rarely missed left with them. 

It is now, but it hasn't always been.  The Eye2 had much lower bounce, it was 0* around the 5 and 6 irons, and negative in the long irons.  I'm not sure when it started, seem to remember seeing relatively low bounce specs for the i5 thru i15....

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

i59 look way better then the i230

not even close 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

It is now, but it hasn't always been.  The Eye2 had much lower bounce, it was 0* around the 5 and 6 irons, and negative in the long irons.  I'm not sure when it started, seem to remember seeing relatively low bounce specs for the i5 thru i15....

Interesting, thanks. It obviously works for lots of players, but I just couldn't adjust to it. If these had more traditional "players irons" bounce on them, they would be in my bag.

Toulon First Run Memphis

58 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

i59 look way better then the i230

not even close 

Do the leading edges sit more flush with the turf? Looks like they have around 1.5* less bounce than the 230. If I power spec'd them like I did my 230's, that would get them a little closer to traditional bounce. I love the toe weight in the Ping irons and how it affects start line/curve, so I'm not fully ready to give up hope yet. 

Edited by coreyhr

Toulon First Run Memphis