Could Tiger be done?

donnygolf

52 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Everybody has vices. Jordan had a gambling problem. These people aren't perfect. 

I won't really take Tiger to task on the infidelity. It's a dick thing to do to your wife and kids but he isn't the 1st mega-celeb to fall into that trap. I think a much higher % of people would succumb to the same temptations than they'd willingly admit. 

The one thing I would call Tiger out for is choosing to jump out of planes and train with the seals while at the height of his powers. That was just reckless and stupid and I'd argue is the primary driver of nearly every negative outcome since. Who knows why he went down that path, I'm sure it had to do with his Dad. Regardless, I can't think of another generational level athlete that did something similar. Jordan wasn't engaging in UFC fight for kicks. Brady didn't take up bull fighting to fill some hole. Ken Griffey Jr. didn't wrestle alligators to prove his toughness to his father.

Its all water under the bridge now but it is pretty disappointing that we didn't get to see Tiger chase down and run past Jack's 18, knockdown 100+ tour wins, etc.     

MJ might not have jumped out of planes and played navy seal, but he did leave the NBA for two years during his prime to play minor league baseball. Not only his prime, but during the Bulls championship dynasty. MJ and Tiger both engaged in activities that were similar to their fathers' passions when their dad's died or were close to death; MJ's dad was obsessed with baseball and Earl was a military man. I will also mention that Jordan was far from a saint. Tiger learned a lot of his womanizing, Vegas-centric habits from MJ. 

It just so happens that Brady's dad was a football player and Ken Griffey's dad was of course a baseball player. Following in their father's footsteps is just continuing with what they're already doing. 

Edited by PowderedToastMan
  • Like 4

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

44 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Everybody has vices. Jordan had a gambling problem. These people aren't perfect. 

I won't really take Tiger to task on the infidelity. It's a dick thing to do to your wife and kids but he isn't the 1st mega-celeb to fall into that trap. I think a much higher % of people would succumb to the same temptations than they'd willingly admit. 

The one thing I would call Tiger out for is choosing to jump out of planes and train with the seals while at the height of his powers. That was just reckless and stupid and I'd argue is the primary driver of nearly every negative outcome since. Who knows why he went down that path, I'm sure it had to do with his Dad. Regardless, I can't think of another generational level athlete that did something similar. Jordan wasn't engaging in UFC fight for kicks. Brady didn't take up bull fighting to fill some hole. Ken Griffey Jr. didn't wrestle alligators to prove his toughness to his father.

Its all water under the bridge now but it is pretty disappointing that we didn't get to see Tiger chase down and run past Jack's 18, knockdown 100+ tour wins, etc.     

MJ needed a break and went to play baseball lol

Part of TW doing the SEAL thing was probably escapism. Golf is different in that you don’t have teammates to hang, travel, and practice with. Mix things up a bit.

Golfers just solo so TW either alone at the range or under the intense microscope on the course. 

Obviously needed to break out and do something totally different like to get his mind off everything 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

MJ might not have jumped out of planes and played navy seal, but he did leave the NBA for two years during his prime to play minor league baseball. Not only his prime, but during the Bulls championship dynasty. MJ and Tiger both engaged in activities that were similar to their fathers' passions when their dad's died or were close to death; MJ's dad was obsessed with baseball and Earl was a military man. I will also mention that Jordan was far from a saint. Tiger learned a lot of his womanizing, Vegas-centric habits from MJ. 

Never implied MJ was a saint and I'm just as disappointed that I didn't get to see Jordan run off 8 straight (Maybe more if it wasn't for Jerry Krause), as I am about Tiger missing out on breaking 18. 

6 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Never implied MJ was a saint and I'm just as disappointed that I didn't get to see Jordan run off 8 straight (Maybe more if it wasn't for Jerry Krause), as I am about Tiger missing out on breaking 18. 

Man, everyone loves to unload on poor Jerry Krause. It wasn't his fault he was a walking pant-load with beady eyes. He might as well have been Red Auerbach if you compare him to the John Paxon years. We're lucky Giannis and the other young studs still remember when the Bulls were actually good. 

If you knew the hidden truth about MJ and his baseball stint you'd be shocked.  Lots of non public info on MJ and the Bulls org from back in his day.  I grew up in Chicago and know a few people close to that org, as well as someone who's brother was on MJ's baseball team

• Like 2

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

MJ needed a break and went to play baseball lol

Part of TW doing the SEAL thing was probably escapism. Golf is different in that you don’t have teammates to hang, travel, and practice with. Mix things up a bit.

Golfers just solo so TW either alone at the range or under the intense microscope on the course. 

Obviously needed to break out and do something totally different like to get his mind off everything 

Well said. When you grind like they do to climb to the top, sometimes you need a change or a different challenge...if only for a bit.

Also, is that Steve Martin in your profile pic? I haven't been around here for awhile, but you are still the king, lol

Edited by Dr. Block

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Of course he needed a break. We all do on occasion. Spearfishing was a good decision, trying to be G.I. Joe wasn't. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

If you knew the hidden truth about MJ and his baseball stint you'd be shocked.  Lots of non public info on MJ and the Bulls org from back in his day.  I grew up in Chicago and know a few people close to that org, as well as someone who's brother was on MJ's baseball team

A college buddy had a [conspiracy] theory that it was due to Jordan's gambling. That the NBA knew whatever he had done would damage the sport itself if anything became public because he was the biggest star in the sport on a team that had just won three in a row. So they told him to "retire" and step away for a while, and that given some time he could make it back. 

It was one of those things that sure sounded plausible, but obviously he had no proof for any of this, so I don't know if it's even remotely close to the real "hidden truth". 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

54 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Well said. When you grind like they do to climb to the top, sometimes you need a change or a different challenge...if only for a bit.

Also, is that Steve Martin in your profile pic? I haven't been around here for awhile, but you are still the king, lol

Ya, is karate from The Jerk! 

🤣

• Haha 3

On 8/18/2022 at 4:46 PM, Dutch1008 said:

not saying it would've happened (i repeat), but hakeem was peaking and vernon maxwell was athletic enough to be a pain in jordan's side ... houston had a good team that year ... 

Edited by tiderider

I have personally had multiple foot and ankle issues and had surgery 6 times, 3 on each foot. While I am by no means an expert, I can honestly say the last surgery I had took me more than 2 full years to recover and then had to go back in for a minor procedure to have some scar tissue removed. The foot and ankle have so many bones when multiple fractures are involved you can have weird stuff happen with scar tissue and even bone bridges form if fractures are healing near one another. Both of things are minor to fix, but are painful, limiting, and don't always show clearly on a standard X-ray. The extent of his injuries could easily put him to early-mid '23 before he is fully recovered. The fact that he played major championship golf this year and made 2 cuts, is a miracle. I would not count him out to win again at all, but it may be late 40's wins or even early 50's

• Like 1

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 Ventus Black TR 6S

Ping G430 3w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Ping G430 7w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Titleist 510 utility 4 iron HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist T150 5-PW, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 48F, 54D, 58T
Scotty Cameron Phantom '24 7

Ball ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

He might be done in regards to being competitive in majors. But he can try to stay in the “game” with his top golf style venture, and as a consigliere to the tour. And it will likely be a full time job keeping The Chucker in line as he moves into his rebellious teen age years. Many kids of celebs are a train wreck! And looking out for himself as well. He has his hands full.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

On 8/21/2022 at 9:22 AM, Retrop1 said:

I have personally had multiple foot and ankle issues and had surgery 6 times, 3 on each foot. While I am by no means an expert, I can honestly say the last surgery I had took me more than 2 full years to recover and then had to go back in for a minor procedure to have some scar tissue removed. The foot and ankle have so many bones when multiple fractures are involved you can have weird stuff happen with scar tissue and even bone bridges form if fractures are healing near one another. Both of things are minor to fix, but are painful, limiting, and don't always show clearly on a standard X-ray. The extent of his injuries could easily put him to early-mid '23 before he is fully recovered. The fact that he played major championship golf this year and made 2 cuts, is a miracle. I would not count him out to win again at all, but it may be late 40's wins or even early 50's

One things for sure, nobody will work harder to get that health back than Tiger. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Tiger's legs fail to recover to a point that can carry him the distance in a tournament, he could hop in a golf cart and single handedly blast the Champions Tour up near the Karman line. I'm not saying he should, or he will, but I guiltily hope it happens, because I would enjoy watching it very much. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Haha 1