LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

1 hour ago, bcjim said:

evidence free slander. By any measure Jay has done at a minimum a good job. 

If I were to grade Jay so far I’d give him a solid B. Did a good job navigating the pandemic, big media deal, purses have grown exponentially, etc.

I’m not docking Jay for the PIF deal (think this will be seen as a positive in a couple years) but more so his lack of communication/messaging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Why all the "be mad at Jay" stuff?  Is that the monthly talking point?

511 pages deep, so maybe the talking points starting to dry up?  Love all the speculation and potential scenarios.  Probably not going to impact my day to day life though.  I will say this thread inspired me to watch the final round of the Valspar.  Stoked for Malnati, and loved the course.  Proper rough.

What's your honest opinion on Jay's performance @bekgolf, that is, to what extent do you believe that Jay has the skills and knowledge to perform his role effectively?

a) not at all

b) to some extent

c) very much so

d) don't know

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

3 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

511 pages deep, so maybe the talking points starting to dry up?  Love all the speculation and potential scenarios.  Probably not going to impact my day to day life though.  I will say this thread inspired me to watch the final round of the Valspar.  Stoked for Malnati, and loved the course.  Proper rough.

What's your honest opinion on Jay's performance @bekgolf, that is, to what extent do you believe that Jay has the skills and knowledge to perform his role effectively?

a) not at all

b) to some extent

c) very much so

d) don't know

More than likely he's there because he knew someone who wanted him in his role.  He probably has a staff full of advisors who make most of the decisions but he's the face of the collective.

• Like 2

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Just like Finchem, Monahan is the face of the corporate side of the Tour so all things that come with it are part of the job. Includes second guessing  by “experts” at running a gigantic and complicated enterprise who couldn’t manage a paper route. 

He’s a lightning rod, gets paid well for it. He’s “the man” keeping all these spoiled players down, lol. 

Comes with the territory so really can’t feel sorry for him but he’s proven himself plenty qualified for the job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Ironic that he won by taking a joke of a drop (within the rules, to be fair) out of the rough into a position to putt. 

• Confused 4

On 3/23/2024 at 4:21 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

You can’t watch the top guys playing exhibition golf either. Closed shop. But that's apparently OK with you? 

No. I never said it was OK with me.   I don't hate LIV like many here, but I'm not a fan.  

BTW, my favorite event of the year is the "exhibition golf" event called the Ryder Cup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

He was off for month because of mental and physical health issues - making fun of that is, well, pathetic.  Just pathetic.  

Monahan was seeking help from Congress prior to the announcement of the deal.  He had to step away because of health reasons and after he stepped away the hearing was called.  After he was already on leave, the subcommittee opened its "investigation" which was mostly a song and dance, but nonetheless after Monahan was already away from his duties.

The PGA Tour sent its COO and Jimmy Dunne, a board member, so nothing was "ducked".  The testimony was as comprehensive as it could be and there was really nothing contentious overall about the proceeding.  Anyone who took the time to watch it or actually cares about facts knows that the testimony was as detailed as it could be (the Senate was asking about a deal that nobody could really talk about) and there was nothing about Monahan being there that would have mattered - Congress wasn't out to get the Tour in any sense. But some senators wanted to get themselves on the record as anti-Saudi and that is really about all there was to it.

The only parties that ducked and did so literally were PIF and LIV including Norman, YAR.  Didn't appear, refused to appear never appeared.  When corporate business partners/advisors of the Saudis were asked to testify they indicated they'd been sued by the Saudis to keep them from talking about the deal.

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, King_Slender said:

Ironic that he won by taking a joke of a drop (within the rules, to be fair) out of the rough into a position to putt. 

Where's the irony?

Was a scummy drop, and I hate it that you can be in deep rough and get a drop on the green, but was 1000% within the rules. 

Still unsure as to where the irony in that situation is, though.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1

13 hours ago, tomjas said:

And now for a reality check 

Jay is being paid nearly double the salary of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver who oversees a business many times larger than the PGAT 

NBA owners would have fired Silver into the sun if LeBron & his mates had defected to another league on his watch 

He also earns more than the commissioners of the MLB & NHL while his salary is 10 times that of the Cgolf hairman of the BCCI (owner of IPL)

He must have photos of someone 

Your comparison is apples to oranges. You should compare Jay Monahan to other golf CEO's or commissioners like Greg Norman.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

He was off for month because of mental and physical health issues - making fun of that is, well, pathetic.  Just pathetic.  

Monahan was seeking help from Congress prior to the announcement of the deal.  He had to step away because of health reasons and after he stepped away the hearing was called.  After he was already on leave, the subcommittee opened its "investigation" which was mostly a song and dance, but nonetheless after Monahan was already away from his duties.

The PGA Tour sent its COO and Jimmy Dunne, a board member, so nothing was "ducked".  The testimony was as comprehensive as it could be and there was really nothing contentious overall about the proceeding.  Anyone who took the time to watch it or actually cares about facts knows that the testimony was as detailed as it could be (the Senate was asking about a deal that nobody could really talk about) and there was nothing about Monahan being there that would have mattered - Congress wasn't out to get the Tour in any sense. But some senators wanted to get themselves on the record as anti-Saudi and that is really about all there was to it.

The only parties that ducked and did so literally were PIF and LIV including Norman, YAR.  Didn't appear, refused to appear never appeared.  When corporate business partners/advisors of the Saudis were asked to testify they indicated they'd been sued by the Saudis to keep them from talking about the deal.

That was a very "convenient" time to have a month off. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck I wonder what it probably is? A duck??

$$$$

16 hours ago, tomjas said:

And now for a reality check 

Jay is being paid nearly double the salary of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver who oversees a business many times larger than the PGAT 

NBA owners would have fired Silver into the sun if LeBron & his mates had defected to another league on his watch 

He also earns more than the commissioners of the MLB & NHL while his salary is 10 times that of the Chairman of the BCCI (owner of IPL)

He must have photos of someone 

I thought this was the liv discussion thread?

I find rather humorous that the liv folk don't talk up liv, only talk everyone and everything else down.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Just sayin:

May be an image of 1 person, golfing, golf course and text that says 'FUN FACT: IN 1968, EVERY PLAYER QUIT THE PGA OF AMERICA AND JOINED A NEW TOUR FOR MORE MONEY.'

Back in 1968, did the new APG Tour just poach a few players for millions or did all touring pros spilt and head for the APG ? 

THE REVOLT OF THE TOURING PROS - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Back in 1968, did the new APG Tour just poach a few players for millions or did all touring pros spilt and head for the APG ? 

THE REVOLT OF THE TOURING PROS - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

Exactly.  Much like they do today with the Ryder Cup profits the PGA of America was funneling too much of the tour derived income to the club pro programs.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar