2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

1 hour ago, pearcebarr said:

I think the way things are heading, LIV is going to have to try and come up with its own majors - at least for the time being. They've already got the Doral tournament for a trillion dollars or whatever, which can be a major for them. As far as the Masters goes, I have a theory that the Memorial could jump ship from the PGA Tour and be viewed as Liv's Masters. We know that Jack is sympathetic to Liv, and the whole point of the Memorial was to be a quasi-competitor to the Masters. It is no where near the same level of the Masters, but I could see them making that move.  

According to Norman, who also called Jack a hypocrite, Jack was sympathetic to the LIV tour early on.  Jack claims he took a meeting about LIV solely as a courtesy because Nicklaus Designs is building a course in SA.  However Jack said his allegiance lies with the PGA and it will remain there.  He helped found it as it is today.  

I don't think theres any chance the Memorial becomes a LIV major unless the PGA Tour folds.  

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

15 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Reed genuinely hates the PGA Tour, almost as much as Phil. We all know the “Reed” twitter account has made that clear. Yeah Patrick likes the money, but I think saying goodbye to the PGA Tour was a strong side benefit.

I recall an article from an insider that the biggest headaches for the PGA were Reed, and DeChambeau. Reed being #1. I’m not sure when the rift started, but I believe that social media was certainly a part. Reed always walked the line on ruling, treatment of volunteers and such. BD was not a huge problem and manageable, but Team Reed was a different animal. 
Those of us in mid management can attest. I recall heading into work saying to myself, “what the heck will **** do today”. 

14 hours ago, khalespace said:

Just one more Asian Tour tournament and he won't have to play 3 majors. More time with family. P Reed present at the Asian Tour allows them to suck dry his ranking points and move from something like 700 to 680.

Asian Tour players pretty good especially in the  sweaty conditions

Reid not coming and scaring many  players  that's for sure

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pearcebarr said:

I think the way things are heading, LIV is going to have to try and come up with its own majors - at least for the time being. They've already got the Doral tournament for a trillion dollars or whatever, which can be a major for them. As far as the Masters goes, I have a theory that the Memorial could jump ship from the PGA Tour and be viewed as Liv's Masters. We know that Jack is sympathetic to Liv, and the whole point of the Memorial was to be a quasi-competitor to the Masters. It is no where near the same level of the Masters, but I could see them making that move.  

Jack sold  out  so not sure what e still controls

may have included Muirfield  I do not know

1 hour ago, mitchl said:

what?   Where have you seen that Jack is sympathetic to LIV?   
he turned down a quarter billion dollars to lead it.

and Jack, 6 times Masters winner, would make the Memorial the quasi Masters.   This is also the same Jack that idolizes Bobby Jones.   

yeah, Jack might do that on Bizzaro Earth.

Jack turned it down because he got sued by his own company for "repeated acts in bad faith against the best interests of the Company, including acts to intentionally and maliciously undermine the company". 

I don't think he specifically would want to undermine or replace the Masters, but he has always wanted the Memorial to be just as big. 

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

If the backers of LIV are really serious about staying in golf, as i mentioned earlier they just need to schedule a massive , biggest ever purse at a place like Doral the week of the Masters. And say, Tradition or a 3M cheque? Take your pick. We'll throw in a champions dinner if you want. This is not that crazy a scenario

And tickets will still be $9, 50 people will stream it on YouTube, and Pat Perez and Phil battle it out for DFL while pretending to care about breaking 80.  Good stuff!

• Like 4

On 8/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, Forged4ever said:

Regardless of where he plants the peg next year, this guy is as Classy as they come and if I was commissioner, I'd give him a "Commissioner's Exemption" for as long as he stayed within the top 175 earnings wise. 

This scene is after a QUINTUPLE BOGIE on 18, basically ending his Play-Off hopes and any chance of keeping his card and you would never ever know it by his actions!!!

With a TBaG hat to boot, lol, which I know of three Pros off the top of my head that will only sign THEIR sponsors' gear, no others!!

Madison spoke of what gems he and Jordan were when they were in the Burgh in '16 when no one asked them to do a thing, there were no cameras around, and half of her kids didn't even know who Jordan was, though every child, 4 boys and two girls, ages 8-10yo, knew Rickie, lol. He was Playin with them aas though they were his own. 

If he leaves, I hope that they pay💰💰 him well, cuz unlike some of the others, he deserves EVERY dime!!

Have a Great Week My Friends👊
RP

C15A5F57-6450-490E-8E2B-FD4D0140D620.jpeg

Rickie plays a TM ball.  So they are a sponsor of his.

14 hours ago, mitchl said:

I just wonder how happy everyone is over there.  Phil looks like he is miserable.
Perez strutting like a peacock like he belongs on the same jet with some of these guys?
Does Brooks get along with anyone?   Now he's in a small group with guys who he has had trouble with before-  Bryson, DJ, and PReed.    (not sure how much he and DJ didn't get along really, but with PReed, he flat out called him a cheater multiple times)

DJ is one of the few who really meant that he wanted to play less, and within a month of him saying that, he's committed to 14 events next year, as well as the "expect they will play a number of events on the Asian Tour" is that guess that they might, or an expectation that they will.     DJ was really close to just playing 15 PGA events a year, and could be all fairly close to him.

You've got some good guys in LIV - Graeme and Louis and Henrik, probably Ancer - but it seems like the group that has issues playing well with others is larger.   

I tried looking up what Perez signed for.  Listened to an older Golf Subpar podcast with him on it yesterday and he said it would have to be a fairly large amount.

4 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Oosthuizen in 2021:

- T6 WGC

- T8 Valspar

- T2 PGA Championship

- 2nd US Open

- T3 Open Championship

- T2 3M Open

- 5 other top 25 finishes

- Plus no missed cuts in 19 events played.

So it is not unfathomable he was one of the best 10 players in the world. He could have won 3 majors that year.

Not really sure why you are saying he doesn't deserve a top 10 ranking based on his performances.

The guy has one PGA Tour win and a total of 9 on what is considered the PGA and Euro tours. He turned pro in 2002 and hasn't won since 2018. I don't care how many top tens or runner-ups he has had during his career.

When I see his name on a tee sheet I don't think he has to be one of the favorites.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullets said:

According to Norman, who also called Jack a hypocrite, Jack was sympathetic to the LIV tour early on.  Jack claims he took a meeting about LIV solely as a courtesy because Nicklaus Designs is building a course in SA.  However Jack said his allegiance lies with the PGA and it will remain there.  He helped found it as it is today.  

I don't think theres any chance the Memorial becomes a LIV major unless the PGA Tour folds.  

“According to Norman”

we should have a top ten list on the according to Normans.   You can start it with his advice to players about whether the Tour can suspend/ban them from the Tour.

and you also have the roster is set for 2023.  No more room.

• Like 4

For those interested in how other series are dealing with the Saudis, the Aramco Team Series event in Spain is this weekend.  Sanctioned by the Ladies European Tour (LET), and points earned for Solheim Cup and the year-end LET points rankings.

The Aramco Team Series is the first team event series of its kind on any professional tour. Taking place across three continents, the tournaments will see the world’s best players team up with amateur golfers to compete for a $1m prize funds.

Using a unique draft system, team captains will pick one pro teammate, before being allocated a third via a random draw. Completing each team will be one amateur golfer. As well as competing for the team trophy, the professionals will also vie for an individual title, offering Rolex Rankings and Solheim Cup ranking points, and will be part of the Race to Costa del Sol Official Rankings.

https://aramcoteamseries.com/en-us/the-series/

Second year for the series, five events in Bangkok, London, Sotogrande, New York, Jeddha.  36 teams, three pros one amateur per team.  

aramcologo.jpg

aramco1.jpg

Edited by subrew
  • Like 3

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

2 hours ago, CasualLie said:

And tickets will still be $9, 50 people will stream it on YouTube, and Pat Perez and Phil battle it out for DFL while pretending to care about breaking 80.  Good stuff!

I imagine the goal of getting better players is that it will improve views and increase ticket prices.

BTW how normal is it to have really discounted ticket prices for any kind of event? I'm not really an expert in this. I watched a few LIV events, there seem to be fans there. The tickets online seems to be asking for higher prices and some i guess get blown out at the end. Not sure how normal this is. Like could you get Rocket mortgage tickets last minute for cheap? I don't really know

I feel like the "Tickets are going for 9$, everyone hates LIV!" stories are being encouraged/driven by the consulting firms the PGA tour hired, i'd bet on that, though. I've never seen so much attention paid to how much tickets are going for on stubhub or whatever at the last minute. Seems odd that it's always pointed out

Anyway, i'd rather they have just collaberated. Tour couldn't fit it in like 7-8 LIV events....making us watch some tournament where the highest ranked player is 37th was that important to them...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, Pat du Golf said:

I told you so....!! 

- 4 big names jump at the end of the season.

- JM out

- Adidas buy 1 or 2 teams.

- Fox and Liv sign a deal.

- Majors stay neutral (Switzerland like)

_ PGA sponsors start canceling contract

_ LIV PGA merger talks resume

I told you so

Fun times 

100% correct. 

PGA players are not trusting each other. Most PGA agents have called LIV to cut a deal but LIV people are vetting these requests are picking who they want....don't pay attention to current barkers on the PGA tour, their agents have called GN....

Fun times 

1 hour ago, One Putter said:

Literally none of those things have happened.

I was trying to figure out if they were a time traveler and knew something no one else does.

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

Competition from LIV is actively hurting the tours.  

Just food for discussion, is the PGAT syphoning off the best of the best from the Euro Tour (DP) hurting it?

As of now, LIV has 2 of the top 20. One great player in his 20s.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, mitchl said:

“According to Norman”

we should have a top ten list on the according to Normans.   You can start it with his advice to players about whether the Tour can suspend/ban them from the Tour.

and you also have the roster is set for 2023.  No more room.

at some point you gotta wonder how much players will believe things they are told by Norman.  On the other hand, doesn't seem like DJ or Bryson have run into any surprises in their decisions...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikewohlwend said:

Rickie plays a TM ball.  So they are a sponsor of his.

Thanks for the head's up, didn't know that👊

Cheers🍻

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I imagine the goal of getting better players is that it will improve views and increase ticket prices.

BTW how normal is it to have really discounted ticket prices for any kind of event? I'm not really an expert in this. I watched a few LIV events, there seem to be fans there. The tickets online seems to be asking for higher prices and some i guess get blown out at the end. Not sure how normal this is. Like could you get Rocket mortgage tickets last minute for cheap? I don't really know

I feel like the "Tickets are going for 9$, everyone hates LIV!" stories are being encouraged/driven by the consulting firms the PGA tour hired, i'd bet on that, though. I've never seen so much attention paid to how much tickets are going for on stubhub or whatever at the last minute. Seems odd that it's always pointed out

Anyway, i'd rather they have just collaberated. Tour couldn't fit it in like 7-8 LIV events....making us watch some tournament where the highest ranked player is 37th was that important to them...

Pretty much any event with discounted tickets means no one wants to go; or at least there are a lot more "seats" available than interested parties.  The deeper the discount, the worse it is.  

At some point the negotiation will happen.  History shows us you cannot have two leagues splitting up the best players without risking losing fans entirety.  The question is just how much more destroying of golf does there have to be before the "kumbaya"? 2 years?  More?

At this point all we have is the "hate" driven by one head in the cloud leader, one egomaniac, and a media that is just loving the war.  It's all so ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMBob said:

at some point you gotta wonder how much players will believe things they are told by Norman.  On the other hand, doesn't seem like DJ or Bryson have run into any surprises in their decisions...

Remove GN from the equation...players have listened to their managers. Those managers contacted said GN. The money was too good. That's about the only influence GN had on the players.. the $$$. Furthermore, more than 40 players in the top 100 wanted in, too late for now, but when the 72 hole tournaments start, 2024, that prize money will drag plenty to LIV. Jay should of played his cards differently. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic