2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has the BST gone too aggressive for deal “hunters?”

Brooks_Cupcake

I think I discovered golfwrx for the BST forum about 10 years ago because it felt more like a swap meet rather than a marketplace, if that makes sense. To my memory it's definitely lost that feel.

Now, unless you have a niche item to list here, I've found it's nearly easier to trade through the retailers/2nd hand stores. Sure, you're only getting PGA superstore values & maybe a 20% premium for store credit which still winds up being less than what you "could" make here, but man... it saves weeks of dealing with tire kickers and posting, re-posting trying to find the "right price". And as others said, once you eat PayPal fees and shipping, your "premium" for selling peer to peer might be like... < $100? Yeesh

Agree with what most people have said here. Been here since 2014 and this year especially everyone wants or expects everything for super cheap. I am about done selling here because it’s not even worth it anymore and the tire kickers or people that don’t reply drive me nuts. 

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 8/9/2022 at 2:33 PM, Rory4Pres said:

For the past couple of years, new and used golf clubs have been much higher value than in past history.  Maybe it's a sign that the market is slowing down.

In 2017-2018, one could regularly get a great conditioned used scotty cameron for $175-250 (talking about OTR newer models like the futuras, etc).  Over the past couple of years, if you try to offer $200, you'll piss off the seller and either be ignored or cussed out.

I have been wondering along the same lines why it's getting harder to sell here.  I continue to buy, buying more than I ever have before because I can't help myself.  Though with selling, my last ad was the only I've been unable to sell everything posted.  Granted, I had over $7k of products on the BST in that ad, what I realized is that plain and simple - the market itself has changed and some of us have less money to play with. 

We in America are looking at high inflation, doubled home energy and gas prices, crazy grocery bills, and petro all severely limiting Americans' recreational spend.  The financial future is becoming more and more uncertain for a lot of people and I think this is the simple reason we are having a tough*er time selling stuff than the past couple of years.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

I’ve been selling on here for 10+ years and have noticed that this is just the “slow season” for selling.  Early summer through the fall is a tougher time to sell because most have their bags sorted out and aren’t really looking for anything.  Most will grab something for a steal of a price but arent looking to spend top dollar, especially with all the new releases right around the corner.  

I always tend to pick up a lot of stuff in the fall/winter to test during the off season.  Then I just hold off until spring to sell what doesn’t work.  Never had anything I’ve listed last more than 24 hours in the spring.  Absolutely  the best time to sell.  All the new gear is out and people are looking to rework their setups.

I’ve also noticed as of late a lot of ppl are still asking “Covid” prices for used stuff when supply was low and demand was through the roof.  Those days are over but some haven’t realized it yet.  

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I have very limited BST experience here.  That said, you're competing against listings on eBay and other online retailers.  If a club is $200 here and $220 at Callaway Preowned, the peace of mind with Callaway is worth the premium.  Likewise, with eBay, you get an extra level of protection as the customer over just the PayPal protections, and usually more customer reviews to base your decision off of.

Outside of the niche stuff that's hard to find, there isn't much/any advantage for a customer to buy something here vs. elsewhere if it's not priced at a decent discount.

BST's value is in niche stuff and trades.

Edited by Brooky03

2 hours ago, Brooky03 said:

I have very limited BST experience here.  That said, you're competing against listings on eBay and other online retailers.  If a club is $200 here and $220 at Callaway Preowned, the piece of mind with Callaway is worth the premium.  Likewise, with eBay, you get an extra level of protection as the customer over just the PayPal protections, and usually more customer reviews to base your decision off of.

Outside of the niche stuff that's hard to find, there isn't much/any advantage for a customer to buy something here vs. elsewhere if it's not priced at a decent discount.

BST's value is in niche stuff and trades.

Tbh Callaway Preowned is like 'your own personal BST store' most times. I dont know how retailers keep up with them, or people trying to BST Callaway stuff. The prices are always so cheap, things are always like 30% off, tons of deals even with upgrade shafts and etc. Plus they carry other brands and do 20% off those every other month or so. Top that off with hassle-free trade-ins with free shipping labels and no 'grading' of the trade-ins it's crazy how they do it.

95% of the time I would rather lose out on $40-60 on selling a club myself here or on ebay and just trade it in to CPO with their high values they give.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I think the BST is still a fine place to buy and sell gear. I do feel like WRX has gotten so big that it has sort of lost its family feel. 10-15 years ago this place had fewer members, but the members that were on the here posted often. I talked to several members on a regular basis back in the day. The boards still offer tons to content, but it seems like members like to bicker and argue more than ever. I still enjoy it here, but I am not sure how to get the "small" feel back. I don't think it ever will be back. 

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I posted a few wtb’s and some of the offers were hilarious.  One guy offered to sell me his used head only with face wear for 30 more than I could get a new one.    Some people just don’t get it I guess.   I’m fine with paying a fair price, bought a head only for 60 less than a complete club.  

I agree selling things on here has been a little stale until you low ball yourself then offers go through the roof … I just move my price back up when that happens 🤣🤣🤣

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I think many of us forget (or ignore) just how much shipping costs have increased in the last few years. I know there are cheaper alternatives like pirateship but they may not be available to everyone or some may not want to use them. Most people selling in the BST also aren't commercial entities with cheaper shipping rates due to high shipping volumes.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Agreed. I've definitely noticed some folks will ask questions, want shipping quotes, but then ghost you and leave the conversations without even so much as a "no thanks, changed my mind". 😅

Suspicious Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

36 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

Amazing how many lefty's bought 1-2 right handed Scotty "jet setters" and now decided not to keep them! Must be 70% of right handed buyers were left handed LOL 

always....

Great putter but just can't knock my gamer out the bag.... (meanwhile they haven't taken the plastic off of it, hints they never tried to knock the gamer out the bag).

On 8/18/2022 at 7:33 AM, Bad9 said:

I think many of us forget (or ignore) just how much shipping costs have increased in the last few years. I know there are cheaper alternatives like pirateship but they may not be available to everyone or some may not want to use them. Most people selling in the BST also aren't commercial entities with cheaper shipping rates due to high shipping volumes.

My golf course is now using pirate shipping, cheaper then their commercial account.

Handicap:  3

Every seller has a number in their head regarding the value they place on a item they are selling. Does that mean they will get a bite. In simple words NO. But that’s what the Pm’s are for. Funny how some get bent out of shape for what people ask. I’ve done a double take more than a few times on the prices but all I do is pass em over. I tell people all the time, If I can get about 80% of what I purchased something for, it’s a good day. Kinda like leasing clubs.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness