2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has the BST gone too aggressive for deal “hunters?”

Brooks_Cupcake

Slowing down sure as I think it’s just a lot of recent gear flipping. There is not as much of the valuable fine art I would say at the moment. So if we see 50 ads a day and 25 of those are offering a stealth driver head of course it’s gonna require some deep discounts to move one. I feel like a lot of adds are selling the same items and it’s a current or recent line most people just have a ton of options to buy now. Also most manufacturers have just kept the old driver out now and dropped the price a bit letting inventory sit. Even just 5 years ago if I walked in to find last years driver head it was slim pickings and lucky to find a halfway decent shaft. Nowadays they have 3 or 4 generations old still fully stocked. That said I just had a listing where I sold 7 out of 8 items in 2 days and I was not lowballed at all. Biggest ask was 10% off which I was happy to oblige. 

I think I saw that someone touched on this earlier, but I imagine the used club market is slowing down now that OEM's have started to catch up on orders. For a while you were lucky if you could find a stock spec club available for immediate purchase (god forbid you wanted something custom).

However, now that a lot of equipment is readily available again, and custom orders are almost back to normal lead times I think people would just prefer to buy new. Personally, I don't feel a 10-15% discount is worth the risk to buy used. I'd much rather spend a few extra dollars and get it brand new direct from the manufacturer. 

14 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

1 week my dude.

Pinned ads are paid per week. Ads get archived every 30 days if not closed. 

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

If we removed all the Apex irons at $750, Sim2 for $250, Garmin R10s for $500, Stealth heads for $400 and "exotic" shafts from $50-750 there wouldn't be much left in the BST. Hint...the above are not unicorns. They are mass produced and easy to find based on the number of them for sale here. Seems like the ads with variations gets the views and sales. The same listing 25 times with different grips don't pull much attention. That is too ebay. 

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KC13 said:

Immediate lowball offer seems to be the new thing around here.  Its annoying but what can we do... 

... When I price something that I think is a fair price I do not entertain silly lowball offers. I would rather give it away to friends. Say I have a mint Stealth driver that sells for $579 new. Pricing it at $459 is a substantial savings. If I get a reasonable offer of $429 I may ask them to wait a few days or accept it. But when I get an "offer" of $359 when shipping will be at least $45 I just respond No Thanks. If I get an "offer" of $249 I don't respond. Getting a good deal is one thing but expecting a stranger to take a huge loss is another. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... When I price something that I think is a fair price I do not entertain silly lowball offers. I would rather give it away to friends. Say I have a mint Stealth driver that sells for $579 new. Pricing it at $459 is a substantial savings. If I get a reasonable offer of $429 I may ask them to wait a few days or accept it. But when I get an "offer" of $359 when shipping will be at least $45 I just respond No Thanks. If I get an "offer" of $249 I don't respond. Getting a good deal is one thing but expecting a stranger to take a huge loss is another. 

First off, always expect to take a big loss when you are buying the latest taylormade driver, haha.

Secondly, sellers need to do some research and see what price similar drivers are selling for on ebay (completed sold listing preferrably from auctions, not unsold).  

Here's one that sold used for $390/shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265810514113?hash=item3de38a90c1:g:un4AAOSwVIRi6cye

Here's one that sold brand new in plastic for $430/shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394190133126?epid=25052675202&hash=item5bc7901786:g:hoMAAOSwpoJi7Hbt

yes, these are just examples and are not your exact club but just goes to show that the seller of that $390 used club netted around $300 after 12% seller fees and $43 shipping.

So what you think is offensive is actually what others are selling theirs for.

• Like 1

been buying and selling on this forum since 2010 and it does seem to be harder to sell an item at a reasonable price than before. the only things that really move are Scottys, whatever the popular shaft on tour is like Ventus, Diamana etc,, golf balls, new grips, stuff like that. I hope to sell an item when I use the BST but if it's all lowballs then I'll go straight to the bay after a week no problem and do the deed their....the BST is still just a place for "tinkerers" who have tons of stuff and just want to try something for cheap, half knowing they probably won't like it. eBay seems to be more for guys who know what they want and want to save a few dollars buying used.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

Secondly, sellers need to do some research and see what price similar drivers are selling for on ebay (completed sold listing preferrably from auctions, not unsold). 

... I hear ya and I always do research but do not use the lowest eBay sales price and attempt to price a club somewhere in the middle although on the lower middle end. I like to think someone that has been on a golf forum for well over 10 years may be more reliable than eBay. I also have no idea if an eBay seller desperately needs the money or as in your 2nd example is a retailer with over 15,000 transactions and gets a deal on the equipment they sell. I am just looking for a fair deal to both myself and the buyer. But like anything for sale, I understand for any reason my item just may not move like I would hope. That is when I am giving it away to a friend or for whatever they want to pay as opposed to a silly lowball offer from a stranger. Ymmv ...

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, golf_junkie_85 said:

been buying and selling on this forum since 2010 and it does seem to be harder to sell an item at a reasonable price than before. the only things that really move are Scottys, whatever the popular shaft on tour is like Ventus, Diamana etc,, golf balls, new grips, stuff like that. I hope to sell an item when I use the BST but if it's all lowballs then I'll go straight to the bay after a week no problem and do the deed their....the BST is still just a place for "tinkerers" who have tons of stuff and just want to try something for cheap, half knowing they probably won't like it. eBay seems to be more for guys who know what they want and want to save a few dollars buying used.

...ime, I don't think it's harder. I just sold a Rogue ST Max LS head for my asking price and it was less than a day. The key is to price it right for the condition of the item. I treat my heads like kid gloves even taping the sole with tape to stop the brush marks. Same for my irons, I keep them under covers (some of you cringe) but I find that it really does help in the pricing when these items look mint when sold... eventually my clubs will all go...since we're all WRX hoes at heart 😎

I won't or hardly sell ebay due to scams and returns and all. Those days are done. In it's place, I am now also putting the word of mouth out with my golfing buddies and their buddies for cash sales. Did pretty good there as well.

What I don't appreciate is some sellers lack of communication. Black ball some because of it but that's a different topic

• Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

49 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

...ime, I don't think it's harder. I just sold a Rogue ST Max LS head for my asking price and it was less than a day. The key is to price it right for the condition of the item. I treat my heads like kid gloves even taping the sole with tape to stop the brush marks. Same for my irons, I keep them under covers (some of you cringe) but I find that it really does help in the pricing when these items look mint when sold... eventually my clubs will all go...since we're all WRX hoes at heart 😎

I won't or hardly sell ebay due to scams and returns and all. Those days are done. In it's place, I am now also putting the word of mouth out with my golfing buddies and their buddies for cash sales. Did pretty good there as well.

What I don't appreciate is some sellers lack of communication. Black ball some because of it but that's a different topic

definitely a YMMV scenario when you say it isn't harder. luckily I've never been scammed when selling golf gear on eBay, or on the BST either. I always state or best offer on the bst so the lowballs will come, I know it's part of the game. I'd rather sell here than the bay but there's so much more traffic on eBay the chances of someone seeing it goes up exponentially.

43 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Yup - that’s why I said a week.

Right. That wasn’t his question, he didn’t ask about pinned ads. 

36698E6B-B7FF-419F-A910-CEA00BB76F2F.jpeg

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

2 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

I still think leaving price item actually sold for in the listing before closing would help everyone. It would establish an actual baseline for what clubs are going for on BST rather than eBay or elsewhere and not relying on the hearsay of what some people claim to have paid here or elsewhere. 

Out of all the stupid rules and etc on these classifieds allowing people to remove the sold price is the worst 

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 8/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, TyNiles said:

Right there with ya - I am more than fair with my pricing and I get continual low offers unless I mark it down and take a huge loss (like the Stealth plus head I sold for $250). 

On the flipside, I am seeing people ask $200 for Spider headcovers which is a whole other argument itself. I'm glad my days of constant experimentation are winding down, it doesn't seem as lucrative to sell on here as it once did. 

The fun has been taken out of experimentation.....It's an "I'll make it work" for me these days..... 

I always get this one guy who sends me a list of his trade bait.  Even if I don’t state that I’m infested in trading. His list includes balls, signed cards and some Adams hybrids.  I’m like dude…c’mon!

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

I ❤️ BST !!!

I buy the deals I want, I sell at at a reasonable loss.  If I break even it’s a huge win.  I’m not here to make money.  

Patience is key. 

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Although there is no way to verify….. should sold prices be listed against asking price when listings close? 

Verification is the question and would require an entire build out. Requiring to keep the sale price is a big ask for little gain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BST AD Help

I have a load of very nice, lightly used current model clubs ob BST right now at fair prices and have been clear that I’m not looking for trades but I am willing to listen to fair offers.  Let’s just say that I won’t waste my time selling here in the future…..people are out of their damn minds wanting 5 year old pricing on practically new equipment and ignoring the specifics in the posts.  So frustrating.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

On 8/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, T_Golf_23 said:

I see OBO on a lot of offerings…. I also see many use FIRM on their listings…. When I see FIRM…. It’s understood - take it or leave it….. 

does it make more sense to uses the word firm or indicate same in listing. It may decrease unwanted interactions. 

or are firm prices still seeing low ball offers come in? 

I normally post firm price/no trades on my ads but still get offers of each, no biggie though.

My sales are slower theses days because I’m older and my shafted clubs are normally regular or senior flex, appears to be a smaller market for those specs here.

Edited by Buzzkill

Handicap:  3

I've bought and sold a decent amount of stuff during the last couple years. Nothing trendy like oddball puttercovers or anything, just clean clubs with proper builds, or good pulled shafts. 

As somebody else said, when it's been to try something and I've wanted to move on, I've typically been able to get out of it right around what I paid, understanding that I might've eaten shipping and PP fees. Cost of trying stuff out. 

That said, I've not bought new and tried to sell. If you're buying Taylormade at retail and upgrading shafts you're fighting against half the golfing public with Pro-Form discounts. They give those out like candy on Halloween. So, that would be a tough spot to be in. 

There's also a current ad asking $350 for a Ventus Blue 6S. Why in the world would I pay somebody that when I can buy them through authorized retailers for less and get a professional build I can have confidence in? I think it goes both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

I normally post firm price/no trades on my ads but still get offers of each, no biggie though.

My sales are slower theses days because I’m older and my shafted clubs are normally regular or senior flex, appears to be a smaller market for those specs here.

What?!  You mean you don't use TX tipped 1.5 to 2"?  I thought everyone on wrx was using that and swinging 130 mph...except me.   haha.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gxgolfer said:

Verification is the question and would require an entire build out. Requiring to keep the sale price is a big ask for little gain. 

I understand your position - but I don't think a system to positively verify actual sold pricing is necessary. Just don't let them delete the asking price once an item is sold. That at least gives a range to verify against. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but it'll give a general baseline.

Any of my BST ads track price reductions and prices sold:

image.png.c3bb5b74d915c49756a5faeece6306e6.png

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

I've been buying and selling here for a long time, 15 years or so.  I've noticed that while clubs / shafts / heads are tougher to sell (hardware, if you will) , high end accessories and clothing (soft goods) will move really really fast if photographed well and in really good condition.  People used to scoff at buying pre-worn clothing and golf shoes more than they do now, in my experience as both a buyer and seller of those items.  

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago