2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist TSR 3 versus Ping G430 LST

cyr67

I am somewhat begrudgingly buying a Ventus Black with a Ping adapter so I can truly determine.

I have an 8* TSr3 with a Ventus Black 6X (also had a TSr4 I loved). I snagged a 430 LST from a place allowing returns and picked up a TR Red 6X for it.

I’ve only done one session using a reliable launch monitor but I could not get comparable numbers out of the Ping. I’m talking like ~15 yards which i’d not settle on for stability.

• Like 2

I have a TSR3 and honestly was extremely happy with it. I find it pretty forgiving for my swing. Ever since the 430lst came out I’ve wanted to try it (loved the 400lst) but never really felt the need to since I was happy with the TSR3. I had a few things to trade in so I decided to get a 430lst just to try and figured I could sell it and recoup most of my money back if I didn’t like it. Well took it out today and it’s not going anywhere. Like I said I found the TSR3 fairly forgiving but the LST is on another level. I couldn’t miss with it. Played in a 20 mph constant wind and I only missed one fairway. And the crazy part about that is my swing didn’t feel on today at all. One shot that stood out today was a terrible swing I made where I felt like I left the face open and hit it WAY off the toe. That miss for me with the TSR3 starts right and goes further right. As soon as I hit that shot today with the LST I immediately look up and look way right, thinking it’s gone. My buddy I was playing with says good shot and I was honestly in shock when I looked up and it was flying dead straight just right side of the fairway. 

• Like 1

These were my last 2 drivers, both played on a Ventus TR red.

Of the two, i preferred the G430 LST simply due to more forgiveness and confidence standing over the ball. The head is slightly larger than the TSR3. Sound on the TSR3 can’t be beat, but G430’s sound has significantly improved over the g425. TSR3 was easier to shot shape, but on off center hits, you were getting penalized hard.

12 hours ago, DoubleDawg22 said:

I am somewhat begrudgingly buying a Ventus Black with a Ping adapter so I can truly determine.

I have an 8* TSr3 with a Ventus Black 6X (also had a TSr4 I loved). I snagged a 430 LST from a place allowing returns and picked up a TR Red 6X for it.

I’ve only done one session using a reliable launch monitor but I could not get comparable numbers out of the Ping. I’m talking like ~15 yards which i’d not settle on for stability.

If the TR Red doesn’t work out, let me know. I’m looking to try it in my G430 Max. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, jdemocko said:

I have not hit the Ping, but my previous gamer was the same club you are hitting.   The Titleist TSR3 knocked it out of the bag.  Distance was very similar, I saw no gains either way.  However, I seem to find the fairway more often with the TSR than I did with the Cally.   Same shaft.

Same for me except with the G430 LST.  I re-tipped the shaft I had in my Epic Max LS for the G430 LST.  I’m only 2 rounds in with it but so far it’s doing exactly what I wanted - no loss in distance but increase in forgiveness.

I liked the Epic Max LS a lot but felt while my good days were good with it that my off days were too off.  Again only 2 rounds in but so far my on course experience matches what I saw when getting fit in that the G430 LST is the same distance just more forgiving. 

Also, I play a fade and while the top of the G430 has a lot going on it just sits perfectly behind the ball for my setup and stance. 

On 3/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, DoubleDawg22 said:

More thoughts on tsr4??

2 hours ago, bjno1300 said:

More thoughts on tsr4??

Yes - the club that I think about purchasing for the 2nd time every few days 😂

It has to be my ideal look for a driver. Loved the look so much that when I was working with the TSr3 it even made it look a little too big.

I was really impressed with how playable it was for me being a ~108-110SS and not a scratch player or anything. Sometimes with the larger heads it makes me subconsciously swing differently as I feel I need to work harder which might be crazy.

I am not a blades guy but I have to think it’s something comparable for me with the TSr4 that just instills confidence and brings a better swing out of me. 

The “3.5” setting with heavier weight back is great as well!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was fitted yesterday for a new driver. It came down to ping g430 LST and TSR3. I actually went in wanting the Ping but I only judged on numbers.

Overall, I had a much faster clubhead speed with the tsr3. Avg 106 with LST and 108/9 with tsr. Dispersion also tighter with tsr3, and surprisingly, my mishits were better on a tsr (high toe). 

I loved them both. They both performed well. But the stock shaft options for tsr3 worked better for me. I hit the hzrdus black 60g xstiff more consistent than I could hit the ping tour 2.0 black xstiff.

Bottom line is no forum is going to tell you "which is better". Go in and get fitted. Be open minded and play the numbers. I wanted the ping, but I felt more confident and hit better with the tsr3 and it looks prettttty damn sleek too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Anymore comparisons on the 430LST vs TSR2? 

I switched from TSi3 -> 430LST early this year, and while more forgiving, I haven’t been in love with it. 430LST feels like it has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling. Wondering if TSR2 will give similar forgiveness but higher ball speed potential? How does it fare with the toe miss? 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

I switched from TSi3 -> 430LST early this year, and while more forgiving, I haven’t been in love with it. 430LST feels like it has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling. Wondering if TSR2 will give similar forgiveness but higher ball speed potential? How does it fare with the toe miss? 

Good question, would love to know that answer before I look at the LST (of course I want to be fed the answer rather than through testing myself).

Ping G430 10k
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Ping G430 22 hybrid

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

Gamed the tsr3 first half of year and now testing g430 lst.  After a couple rounds I am leaning towards g430 lst bc it’s a lot more stable , just as long , and way better in particular high off face/toe strikes. Tsr3 looks way better and is longer/faster dead center.    G430 lst sneaky fees really good - muted but good.  Might update sig soon and make official. 

• Like 1

TSr2 10* - Tensei 1K White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

Both Pings spun too much for me. My miss is low heel and TSR has been quite good so far. Gaming a TSR3 in 8° with weight moved one notch towards the heel. I tee it pretty low so the shallow face sits nice by the ball for me. 

Edited by Adam B
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3  | GD Tour AD XC 6X

Titleist 915F 15° | Fuji Ventus TR Blue 7X

Callaway UW 19° | GD Tour AD XC 8X

Taylormade P7TW 4-PW | PX Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 (50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M) | DG S200

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classics

Ball | Chrome Soft X LS

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2023 at 9:32 AM, WeritoK2 said:

check this out, it just came out. God sent!

Of course, Ian’s WITB cam out today and he’s in the TSR3

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 6/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

I’ll trade a TSR2 for LST

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• 2 months later...

Have tsr3 vs g430 lst head to head , right now I’m slight adv tsr3 

I don’t know if Ping  didn’t do them a disservice making the G430 LST head so heavy 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

11 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

Have tsr3 vs g430 lst head to head , right now I’m slight adv tsr3 

I don’t know if Ping  didn’t do them a disservice making the G430 LST head so heavy 

I’ve got one against my TSi3 right now and I agree the thing is a sledgehammer. I watched a ping build video for Hatton and they did rat glue forward and heel with a lighter weight in the back. Mine is d8 at 45.25 with kaili white 60x. Thinking of putting something counterbalanced in or just getting a lighter weight 

11 hours ago, Tree Levino said:

I’ve got one against my TSi3 right now and I agree the thing is a sledgehammer. I watched a ping build video for Hatton and they did rat glue forward and heel with a lighter weight in the back. Mine is d8 at 45.25 with kaili white 60x. Thinking of putting something counterbalanced in or just getting a lighter weight 

G430 lst Vblue  TR 70tx at 44.75” , 351g 

Edited by drbonesvt

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 11/8/2023 at 8:12 AM, Tree Levino said:

I had that same problem with my G430...very heavy swingweight with the Kaili....I picked up some different weights to try and settled on a 17g vs the stock 25g. Made a BIG difference, easier to swing, picked up ballspeed and carry distance.

Check out the Ping website for the tour players and their drivers. It lists the different weights they all use. Kinda cool and reassuring to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea-Hawks said:

I had that same problem with my G430...very heavy swingweight with the Kaili....I picked up some different weights to try and settled on a 17g vs the stock 25g. Made a BIG difference, easier to swing, picked up ballspeed and carry distance.

Check out the Ping website for the tour players and their drivers. It lists the different weights they all use. Kinda cool and reassuring to be honest.

I got up to 178 BS with it at 351g , I think I might have some room to run

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 11/9/2023 at 8:55 PM, drbonesvt said:

I got up to 178 BS with it at 351g , I think I might have some room to run

That makes me feel better. I found with that weight it gets a bit stuck behind and I end up hitting a tight low cut which I don’t mind but my TSi3 is at d3 and I can hit a big high draw that ends up going quite a bit further. I feel there is potential in the G430 though. I’ll grab some of the 14g Amazon weights maybe. 

If you want to hit it straight balls down the middle go G430. If you want to maximize ball speed and have some more left/right workability go TSR3.

• Like 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

• 1 month later...

On 3/12/2023 at 4:44 AM, bjno1300 said:

More thoughts on tsr4??

I played it for most of the season after doing a fitting to reduce spin. Hit it REALLY far when I hit sweet spot, but also missed a lot. Loved the sweet spot hits but really struggled to find consistency. 

I did a lesson to change my swing and was able to reduce spin some and make my swing more efficient. 

Was missing too much still, so thought I’d reconsider and did a much more comprehensive fitting.

Hit LST, TSR3, and Stealth2 all pretty decent. Stealth2 was longest and had an extra 2-3 mph on it, but consistently fading a bit more than the others. TSR was solid but I still missed a few left. LST was by far straightest, so I went with that. Couldn’t hit the Paradym triple diamond. 

Stealth had 114-116 CHS. Both LST and TSR were 112-114. Was willing to trade some yards since I have speed already.

Weirdly, I also did some 3 wood testing and couldn’t hit stealth or LST all that well, and ended up with a TSR 2+ at 13 deg. 

So it goes.

Caveat is that I haven’t played these clubs live yet on the course so excited to finally do that hopefully soon. 

16 hours ago, dma315 said:

I played it for most of the season after doing a fitting to reduce spin. Hit it REALLY far when I hit sweet spot, but also missed a lot. Loved the sweet spot hits but really struggled to find consistency. 

I did a lesson to change my swing and was able to reduce spin some and make my swing more efficient. 

Was missing too much still, so thought I’d reconsider and did a much more comprehensive fitting.

Hit LST, TSR3, and Stealth2 all pretty decent. Stealth2 was longest and had an extra 2-3 mph on it, but consistently fading a bit more than the others. TSR was solid but I still missed a few left. LST was by far straightest, so I went with that. Couldn’t hit the Paradym triple diamond. 

Stealth had 114-116 CHS. Both LST and TSR were 112-114. Was willing to trade some yards since I have speed already.

Weirdly, I also did some 3 wood testing and couldn’t hit stealth or LST all that well, and ended up with a TSR 2+ at 13 deg. 

So it goes.

Caveat is that I haven’t played these clubs live yet on the course so excited to finally do that hopefully soon. 

Nice. I ended up going with Paradym 3d with ventus blue tr and couldn’t be happier. Lst was almost in bag but got deal on 3d. Enjoy!