2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Farmers Insurance Open 2023 (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)

MattyO1984

1 minute ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Pretty sure if I posted about the only Roger Moore James Bond movie that was worth a darn it would be deleted! 

I’m at the point where I sweat a little when I see someone else “illegally” mention the unmentionable in a thread. I’m sure somehow I’ll end up getting a point for it! Lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I’m at the point where I sweat a little when I see someone else “illegally” mention the unmentionable in a thread. I’m sure somehow I’ll end up getting a point for it! Lol

Yep, even in the ____ thread, no tolerance for just about anything humorous and totally harmless.  Just the facts, ma'am. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TiScape said:

When it comes to on course style. I don’t see getting much better than this. What I imagine James Bond wearing to play golf.

20D3D440-25A1-4220-B75E-6C61FA20CE82.jpeg

Watching some of the old Shell matches, especially some "tropical" locales, I am still surprised how many guys were wearing the collarless shirts back in the day.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

You guys are using weak excuses for the bad fashion of the past that could easily be applied to what’s considered the bad fashion of today.

Tiger’s giant baggy pants were at least as awful as today’s joggers. He also tried to popularize golf shirts with no collar. Most clubs said “nah” to that so it didn’t catch on with the golfing public. 

The entire world has gotten more casual over the last generation. I’m in a suit-and tie-profession but I haven’t worn a tie in five years and absolutely no one cares. It’s a positive change. Fighting against it is tilting at windmills. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/ab77a9568a047375a2b2be49e3272f3f2f061642cf69f6b5b6d2743f8c17cc1b/1440/cdn-cgi/mirage/ab77a9568a047375a2b2be49e3272f3f2f061642cf69f6b5b6d2743f8c17cc1b/1440/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/5F0D1046-B591-492E-A020-CBF2F89A80BE.jpeg.0e803687a1ffc660d7c0486e838982ce.jpeg

Some new fashions might be an enhancement in golf, pajama pant trouser legs are not. Sometimes you get a little wow seeing something new, first time I saw Van Rooyen in those I didnt get wow.

• Like 1

I'm betting New Balance had a banner weekend.  After all the complaints of Sam Ryder wearing his joggers, the majority of the golf tv watchers probably clicked buy now on a new set of top fashion plain white NB608s.  To go with their khaki cargo shorts and red nike polo.  

• Haha 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

2 minutes ago, subrew said:

I'm betting New Balance had a banner weekend.  After all the complaints of Sam Ryder wearing his joggers, the majority of the golf tv watchers probably clicked buy now on a new set of top fashion plain white NB608s.  To go with their khaki cargo shorts and red nike polo.  

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/28/2023 at 3:31 PM, PZero said:

How am I suppose to root for Ryder with him wearing those joggers?

giphy.gif

I'm going to admit just how shallow of an individual I can be: I started rooting for Homa based solely on Ryder's pants. That was HORRID! I told my wife as we watched, "Ryder must have overslept. He didn't even have time to put on his golf clothes!"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I'm going to admit just how shallow of an individual I can be: I started rooting for Homa based solely on Ryder's pants. That was HORRID! I told my wife as we watched, "Ryder must have overslept. He didn't even have time to put on his golf clothes!"

I don't really understand all the fashion hang ups. Dudes were practically rocking bell bottoms in the 70's and it looked terrible. It's pretty much a guaranty that if you are on the edge of fashion trends, retroactively you're going to look ridiculous. These things are fluid. Those with actual style manage to incorporate trends without going too far. Those that fully buy into a trend will always come around to saying, "what the  hell was I thinking?" in 6 months to a year. 

Regarding joggers, I like them. In the gym or casually at least. However, I think they look pretty terrible paired with a polo style shirt. If the course requires a collar, my friendly advice would be to keep the joggers at home. If the course doesn't require a collar, wear whatever you want.      

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

I don't really understand all the fashion hang ups. Dudes were practically rocking bell bottoms in the 70's and it looked terrible. It's pretty much a guaranty that if you are on the edge of fashion trends, retroactively you're going to look ridiculous. These things are fluid. Those with actual style manage to incorporate trends without going too far. Those that fully buy into a trend will always come around to saying, "what the  hell was I thinking?" in 6 months to a year. 

Regarding joggers, I like them. In the gym or casually at least. However, I think they look pretty terrible paired with a polo style shirt. If the course requires a collar, my friendly advice would be to keep the joggers at home. If the course doesn't require a collar, wear whatever you want.      

Looks like we have the same hang-up to me?

Believe me, I have some pictures of me in days past that I'd never want to see the light of day! 

The odd thing is, I'm not a traditionalist in most respects. Golf is a clear exception for me. There's just such a rich history in the sport. Of course there will be minor changes and evolutions, but other things seem to just be an intentional act of rebellion or self-focus. Based on the color and style, I would have expected his mom to be wearing those pants before him. It's the same thing that drives me nuts about Poulter at times. And Tiger's balloon pants were weird at best. Payne Stewart dressed with flare, too, but with his knickers it always felt like a throwback to the historical roots of golf. Anywhere else, I truly couldn't care less. When dressing for the PGA to be seen by millions, then at least a little decorum seems warranted. 

3 hours ago, buckeyefl said:

I am thinking of starting a male yoga pants on the course trend. It seems to work for the ladies on social media so equal rights and all of that stuff.

You will see a quite a few guys at the gym in “yoga pants”. (Well actually they’re compression pants, but since most here think joggers are “pajama pants”, whatever) 99% of the time they wear shorts over them… Once in a blue moon you will be unfortunate enough to see one that has made the decision he’s going w/o the shorts. Let’s just say you shouldn’t be able to tell if a man is circumcised while ur trying to workout. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

Looks like we have the same hang-up to me?

Ehh, I can disagree with a players fashion choices w/o actively rooting against them. 

I like Max Homa a lot but I think he looks like a idiot with all the corporate branding. Money is great and all but do you really want to look like a stock car? The guy has Travis Matthew, Mastercard, Burns & Wilcox, Fortinet, Five9, and ADP on his polo. You're 32 y/o, fit, have a great personality, and you're winning. Tell your damn agent to call up the people at Ralph Lauren and see if you can get the sponsorship that JT lost.  

I'm not going to root against Max Homa because he looks like a walking billboard, but I will make fun of him.  

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

I will say that I also like them. Gym, casually, cool morning round before I get warmed up… I will also say that I think Ryder looked ridiculous on Saturday. Which leads me to say, if you are going to wear them on the course, don’t wear the “dress style” golf shoes. IMO they definitely require the fitness/sneaker style golf shoes to have a chance of working. (I can already hear the responses “they don’t work with ANY style shoes!“ haha. To that I say, to each their own. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FifeRiviera said:

I think Homa might be the best thing to happen to the PGA lately. Baller, likeable, will happily put himself out there and try new stuff like Friday. AND STILL WINS! 

pants were fine, shoes not it however. 

That Friday on-course interview better massively bump up Home's social media ranking (or whatever that ranking is). 

I thought it must be during pro am when he did this on-course interview. That's one heck of mind space. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Ehh, I can disagree with a players fashion choices w/o actively rooting against them. 

I like Max Homa a lot but I think he looks like a idiot with all the corporate branding. Money is great and all but do you really want to look like a stock car? The guy has Travis Matthew, Mastercard, Burns & Wilcox, Fortinet, Five9, and ADP on his polo. You're 32 y/o, fit, have a great personality, and you're winning. Tell your damn agent to call up the people at Ralph Lauren and see if you can get the sponsorship that JT lost.  

I'm not going to root against Max Homa because he looks like a walking billboard, but I will make fun of him.  

I agree with the corporate branding. Also realize that some of that is likely contractual and is probably the more consistent money on tour. 

We're a forum. Poking fun is what we do. I was being a bit TIC about Solely rooting for Homa due to Ryder's clothing choice, though it was ridiculous, IMO. Colin is actually who I was hoping would get to the top. Max was a good alternative. Loved seeing him with his wife and son after the win. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I will say that I also like them. Gym, casually, cool morning round before I get warmed up… I will also say that I think Ryder looked ridiculous on Saturday. Which leads me to say, if you are going to wear them on the course, don’t wear the “dress style” golf shoes. IMO they definitely require the fitness/sneaker style golf shoes to have a chance of working. (I can already hear the responses “they don’t work with ANY style shoes!“ haha. To that I say, to each their own. 

Bless you. I think a lot of different looks can work on the course and you can still look sharp. But there should be some style/formality alignment between your shirt, pants, and shoes.  

27 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I agree with the corporate branding. Also realize that some of that is likely contractual and is probably the more consistent money on tour. 

I get it. But what made sense for Max as the 150th ranked player, doesn't really apply now that he's in the top 20. He has 6 tour wins, he made the president's cup, he'll likely make the Ryder cup. Its' time to graduate from looking like Roy McAvoy or Club Pro Guy. 

• Like 1