2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

In praise of the Gen 4 HZRDUS Black

bcflyguy1

Longtime Hzrdus Black (Smoke then RDX) user here. I got curious and went and picked up a Ventus Black around Christmas. Ventus feels a little looser on the waggle test, but yet somehow reduces my spin by about 300-400 RPMs. I would like to test the new Gen 4 against it but I'm in the goldilocks zone and I don't wanna ruin a good thing...

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

I was originally a long-time Prolite 35 guy, then went away from the game for a good while and tried to find something similar when I came back. That was the PX graphite. Went away again and came back and put RDX 70 black in my driver hoping it’d be in the same vein. It is. Feel is more important to me than LM numbers. 

There’s still quite a few RDX guys on tour, even with all the Ventus love. 

My son who will be playing college golf next year did a fitting with the regional Callaway rep and it was the 70 6.5 shaft that was the recommendation.  He didn't get to hit any upcharge shafts in that fitting and subsequently hit the Ventus Black in the 7X and that is what we ordered with a Pardym TD head as he preferred the feel and we had enough trade ins to make it feasible from a $$$ standpoint.  His results 100% echo your findings...  

• Like 1

I just pulled the one that came out of my Aerojet without swinging it, maybe I should have gave it a chance.  It’s a 6.0 60g and I’d probably of needed a 6.5 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I've never hit a Ventus so no comparison there.  I do have a 3 wood with a 70g Black Smoke RDX 6.0 and it's fantastic.  So fantastic that I tried to get one for my driver but ended up with a Gen 4 70g 6.0, it's replacing an OG 60g Hzrdus Black 6.0 in the driver.

So far so good, I've only hit it a few times but I can't recall ever having a shaft that felt this tight.  It's the only word in my vocabulary to describe it, tight.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Got the new Srixon ZX5 LS several weeks ago, demoed several shafts but got the best numbers with the stock HZRDUS black gen 4 6.0.

So far really like it, stable but not boardy feeling at all.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 4/6/2023 at 4:35 AM, FlaBoy239 said:

I've had two separate driver fittings and both times my fitter told me keep what you have. Hzrdus Black Smoke RDX 6.5. The ho in me keeps tinkering but I always come back to my Hzrdus.

This for sure. Ive literally been tinkering with a a bunch of different shafts (Kaili White TX, Hzrdus Gen4, Ventus Black) and literally every time Ive gone back to my Smoke Black RDX 70 it cant be beat. Im over trying to force myself to "like" whats newer when plain and simple my RDX has been fantastic.

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

On 4/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, BraxtonFullerton said:

Longtime Hzrdus Black (Smoke then RDX) user here. I got curious and went and picked up a Ventus Black around Christmas. Ventus feels a little looser on the waggle test, but yet somehow reduces my spin by about 300-400 RPMs. I would like to test the new Gen 4 against it but I'm in the goldilocks zone and I don't wanna ruin a good thing...

I went from being in that goldilocks zone with my RDX and wasted time and money on the others. Ventus Black, Kaili White, and have a Gen 4. I really wanted to like the Gen4 but not doing it. I might give myself one last go on a Gen4 in a 70 instead of a 60 since the 60 is simply too light. Funny how noticeable 10 grams are in a shaft.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with this. Hzrdus Black Gen 4 is very smooth and has great feel. Didn't care for Smoke Black and RDX Black was pretty good. Gen 4 takes it up a notch and feels premium. Definitely worth testing if you are looking at Ventus Black or Kaili White. Each year Hzrdus brings the best value in graphite by a significant margin. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 3 months later...

I have been playing the Project X Gen 4 black now for 2 weeks and wondering if I am the only one who I doesn’t like it as much as the last generation Smoke black RDX. In my stealth 2 Plus fairway and Callaway UW I have a 6.5 flex and love the feel and flight of those. In my TSR 2 driver, I have the new gen 4 in 6.0 flex and to me it feels more boardy and I am losing the ball right which is really weird for me as I am turning in over the hybrid and fairway in a stiffer flex. Anyone else have the same experience?  Is the tip stiffer in the new Gen 4 or does Titleist tip them or something?

Have your tried the Gen 4 in your driver in the 6.5 flex? If you haven't, then the 6.0 being too soft could well be the culprit. I know that probably sounds absurd, but...

44 minutes ago, mlf said:

I have been playing the Project X Gen 4 black now for 2 weeks and wondering if I am the only one who I doesn’t like it as much as the last generation Smoke black RDX. In my stealth 2 Plus fairway and Callaway UW I have a 6.5 flex and love the feel and flight of those. In my TSR 2 driver, I have the new gen 4 in 6.0 flex and to me it feels more boardy and I am losing the ball right which is really weird for me as I am turning in over the hybrid and fairway in a stiffer flex. Anyone else have the same experience?  Is the tip stiffer in the new Gen 4 or does Titleist tip them or something?

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I wanted to echo this, I really like the Gen4 Black and a lot more than previous versions. Using a 70g 6.5 in my BRNR mini and its the most point and shoot I've played off the tee in a few years. Great wallet friendly alternative to OG Ventus Black 6X (similar weight). 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

23 hours ago, mlf said:

I had been playing the older Smoke Black hybrid shafts for awhile in some Callaway hybrids. I then picked up some new Paradym X hybrids with the Gen4 HZRDUS Black. Both 80g 6.0.

All I can say is that when I played the Gen4, I was not as consistent as I had been with the Smoke Black. So with the ease of the adjustable shafts, I swapped in my Smoke Black shafts and haven't looked back. Once the season moves along, I'll give the Gen4 another go. Could have just been a bad round or two, who knows.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 4/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

So I’m a regional master fitter, which grants me access to test just about everything the company has on offer. It also makes purchasing stuff like upcharge shafts much easier on the wallet. I’ve been playing an OG Ventus Black 6X in my driver for the last couple years, and I’ve not found anything that suits me as well.

…which brings me to the thread topic. When I started testing the Paradym drivers back in December, I popped in a HZRDUS 60 6.5 and quickly found it a bit too soft and more so too light for my preferences. However, a couple days ago I got a 70 6.5 and decided to give it a spin since testing stuff helps me as a fitter. Didn’t really have any expectations or hopes for it going in, but have to say this thing is surprisingly good! Yes, it’s a featured shaft for multiple OEMs and not the TX version that’s infused with unicorn farts, but it still does the business exceptionally well. 

I love me a Gucci low/low shaft as much as the next ho, and yet I can see where this thing might dethrone my trusty Ventus Black (sacrilege, I know).  All that to say, don’t discount the Gen 4 Black as a viable option if you’re getting fit up; you may be able to save yourself a big upcharge with little to no performance compromise.

Sacrilege indeed, my friend.  I was never a fan of the previous gens but the gen 4 is ok when I tested it.  It feels much smoother than previous offerings but was on the softer side feel wise.  Dispersion wasn't good either, but I'm glad to see it's working for you.  Like you I had the OG black since it's inception but traded it in for something else after playing it for just over a year.  Dumb move on my part because I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement that would give me really good numbers while being super stable.  Switched over to the TR Black a few months back and it's been a blessing.  All the goodness of the OG Black with less kick but also really smooth as well. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Sacrilege indeed, my friend.  I was never a fan of the previous gens but the gen 4 is ok when I tested it.  It feels much smoother than previous offerings but was on the softer side feel wise.  Dispersion wasn't good either, but I'm glad to see it's working for you.  Like you I had the OG black since it's inception but traded it in for something else after playing it for just over a year.  Dumb move on my part because I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement that would give me really good numbers while being super stable.  Switched over to the TR Black a few months back and it's been a blessing.  All the goodness of the OG Black with less kick but also really smooth as well. 

OG Ventus Black is still in there, but Gen 4 Black gave it a serious run.

WITB Link

For those that have tried it, how is the Hzrdus Black Gen 4 hybrid shaft? 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 4/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

So I’m a regional master fitter, which grants me access to test just about everything the company has on offer. It also makes purchasing stuff like upcharge shafts much easier on the wallet. I’ve been playing an OG Ventus Black 6X in my driver for the last couple years, and I’ve not found anything that suits me as well.

…which brings me to the thread topic. When I started testing the Paradym drivers back in December, I popped in a HZRDUS 60 6.5 and quickly found it a bit too soft and more so too light for my preferences. However, a couple days ago I got a 70 6.5 and decided to give it a spin since testing stuff helps me as a fitter. Didn’t really have any expectations or hopes for it going in, but have to say this thing is surprisingly good! Yes, it’s a featured shaft for multiple OEMs and not the TX version that’s infused with unicorn farts, but it still does the business exceptionally well. 

I love me a Gucci low/low shaft as much as the next ho, and yet I can see where this thing might dethrone my trusty Ventus Black (sacrilege, I know).  All that to say, don’t discount the Gen 4 Black as a viable option if you’re getting fit up; you may be able to save yourself a big upcharge with little to no performance compromise.

Is this the shaft you're talking about?

https://www.golfworks.com/project-x-hzrdus-smoke-black-graphite-wood-shafts/p/tt0138/

I recently put a 68g 6.0 in my Adams 9088UL head and really like it. Might give the 6.5 a try though.

Edited by azgreg

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

On 8/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, azgreg said:

Is this the shaft you're talking about?

https://debatepolitics.com/attachments/this-jpg.67462781/

I recently put a 68g 6.0 in my Adams 9088UL head and really like it. Might give the 6.5 a try though.

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/hzrdus-black-gen-4-graphite-wood-shaft.html

WITB Link

I tried the Gen 4 last weekend and it wasn't really a good fit for me. No knock on the quality of the piece, though. 

I'm not as aggressive of a swinger, I have a moderate to moderately fast tempo as a means of generating speed and power. The G4 Black didn't like my transition. 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

10 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Thanks. I don't know what I was posting. This is the link I was trying.

https://www.golfworks.com/project-x-hzrdus-smoke-black-graphite-wood-shafts/p/tt0138/

Not the same shaft though.

• Like 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

• 2 months later...

Picked up a Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 TX and took it to the range yesterday. Certainly not as stiff as the Ventus black TR 60x I've been playing, but it seemed solid with good control and a nice feel to it without being too lively. For me the Ventus TR is a bit too stout, and is kind of a chore to pound balls with, but I had no issues pounding 50+ balls with the 60 TX.

I did notice the 60 TX was a bit heavier than the 65 grams as advertised:  ~13 grams heavier than my Titleist Hzrdus black 6.5 60, and a few grams heavier than my Hzrdus black 6.5 70. The TT website says it's only 5 grams heavier than the 60, and 5 less than the 70. It's also 2 grams heavier than my Ventus TR Black 6x.

Looking forward to playing a few rounds with it soon.