DON'T go to the range.....

Caveat: this doesn't apply to a practice putting green

Okay, so......do I think beginners should use the range regularly? Absolutely, you're still trying to figure your swing out, what works and what doesn't. 

For me at least, I feel like as I've become a better player, the range has become detrimental to my game. I seem to get out of sorts after one or two bad shots and my tempo starts speeding up. I tend to take that bad juju to the first tee the next day. 

If I do use the range anymore, it's usually only to warm up, hitting maybe 10-15 balls with a wedge.

I'm curious what others think, do you feel range time is beneficial?

Edited by z3bracakes

My game goes through streaks of ups and downs. When I’m on a good streak, I have learned to leave well-enough alone and just play more. If I have one or two bad rounds, I just shake it off and continue on. Beyond that, the only fix is many days on the range over a couple weeks so I can just hit shots without consequence so I can figure out what’s going on and get back to one or two swing thoughts or feels. 

I do think on course is really where you learn to play. It’s hard to bring range game to the course because it’s a different game. Uneven lies, obstacles, wet sod, hard pan, fluffy lies, buried lies, etc etc…. And most of all, you only get one chance to get it right. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sp4zRX said:

My game goes through streaks of ups and downs. When I’m on a good streak, I have learned to leave well-enough alone and just play more. If I have one or two bad rounds, I just shake it off and continue on. Beyond that, the only fix is many days on the range over a couple weeks so I can just hit shots without consequence so I can figure out what’s going on and get back to one or two swing thoughts or feels. 

I do think on course is really where you learn to play. It’s hard to bring range game to the course because it’s a different game. Uneven lies, obstacles, wet sod, hard pan, fluffy lies, buried lies, etc etc…. And most of all, you only get one chance to get it right. 

I feel the exact same way, and you touch on a good point....

Maybe one of the reasons I feel like I can't hit a bad shot on the range is because I'm always giving myself a preferred lie....

.....Damn, I'm mental 😂

The range can be a productive place IF you're diligent about how you practice. One of the courses I practice at has a secluded pitching green that extends out to 60 yards. I've stopped using the driving range and instead go out there and hit 9-3 lob wedges for a few hours. So far it seems more productive for making swing changes and I save a bit of coin by bringing my own shag bag. I will occasionally hit the range to mash on driver and do speed work. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, z3bracakes said:

Always, as long as time is not being wasted.   Letting the artistic side learn shots and flights is just one of many many many positives one can find. 

• Like 2

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

When I was young I never used the range, for a couple of reasons.  One, the little 9 hole course I learned to play on didn't have one, and two, the other course I then started to play had a terrible range, way, way up on a hill hitting down and into the prevailing wind.  Also, their balls were mush, and you paid by the bag, and I had a season ticket for golf so playing cost me nothing "extra". They did have a nice chipping and putting area so I did spend most of my "practice" time there...  Even playing golf in college I rarely hit balls other than to warm up.  In grad school started to hit the range some, as the school had an area where you could hit your own and pick them up, was quicker and cheaper than playing. 

Fast forward many years when i started playing again, I started hitting range balls a lot, more than I played, mostly due again to time constraints.  I do think it helped me a lot.   I worked out some things, but I never was one to hit balls for hours at a time, 30-45 minutes max, work through the bag and "feels", then go  chip and/or putt....

• Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

49 minutes ago, bluedot said:

The idea that one could somehow be better off by NOT practicing is unique to golf; I don’t know of anything else like that approach in any other sport.

Monte’s post is, of course, spot on as to why so many golfer don’t get better by practicing, and it goes hand in hand with other issues as well. Lack of good instruction and a poor understanding of fundamentals, no real plan for the practice session, and on and on.  

Perhaps the least understood thing about the truly elite athletes in ANY sport is how hard they work at their craft.  Yes, their talent level is elite, but their work ethic is the real separator.  

If you think you are better off NOT practicing, the issue is the way you practice.  Nobody ever got better at a sport by not practicing.  

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't practice. But I prefer to practice on the course, not the range. If I hit a bad shot (or not a shot I was envisioning), drop another ball and do it again. I don't always go the course with the intention of trying to post a score.

It really depends on why I'm at the range. And mixing priorities really screws me up.

If I'm trying to improve my swing I have to do what Monte says. Detach from results of the shots and work on whatever I'm working on. Lots of video review of swing to make sure I'm making changes. Not so much worrying about where the ball went. Hit positions then try to refine ball contact over time.

If I'm warming up to play golf do just the opposite. Focus on tempo and hitting targets. Try to have no swing thoughts. Definitely no video review.

If I'm trying to improve swing and I worry about ball flights and targets it usually leads to poor practice and no improvement.

If I'm warming up and I start thinking about technical swing improvements I usually play very poorly.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ripper212 said:

Doesn't anyone else here just use the range because it's FUN?

Yes. I enjoy range time (and indoor TM time) just as much as playing. Hitting balls, watching them fly (or looking at numbers), and trying out different thoughts/feels/mechanics, etc. is highly satisfying for me. 

Edited by GungHoGolf
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ripper212 said:

I do!  I love practicing; always have, regardless of the sport.

I was a college tennis player and loved drills, and when my son was a baseball player (all the way thru HS and Legion ball, I bugged him to go to the cage even when he reached the point where the L screen had to be so close that I was taking my life in my hands.

But I’ll add one qualifier.  I was a HS basketball coach for 40 years, and I ran practices off a VERY careful and intentional down to the minute schedule EVERY day.  For whatever reason, I go to the range or the short game area the same way; I have an intention very time, and it rarely involves more than 4 swings with the same club before I move on.

To Monte’s point, if I’m going to hit four 7 irons and the 4th one  is the worst smother hook you’ve ever seen, then what I practice on THAT shot is accepting bad shots and moving on; I do NOT keep hitting the 7 iron.  I don’t want to be tempted to get away from my fundamentals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Whenever i respond in threads like this I’m never picking on the OP, I’m citing facts about all golfers.

Golfers ALMOST NEVER look in the right place when trying to improve.

Range time is necessary to improve and retrain poor motor patterns ingrain good ones.

The problem is golfers adjust their swing AFTER EVER BAD SHOT..

Using that method, yes, the range is a horrible place, but then golfers do that on the course as well.

No pro, college or rec basketball player adjusts their shooting mechanics after every missed jumper.  That would be stupid.  QB’s don’t change mechanics after every incompletion…..I could go on ad infinitum.

Mechanics are changed/adjusted when there is a systemic issue causing a long period of failure.  Then the effort is to make a change and stick with it until the new pattern is formed.  They also dont talk to their friends and relatives about how to change.  They consult experts.

If golfers would just follow the pattern that is used in EVERY other sport, they’d improve.  However, there are three inherent problems.  1.  Golfers have an insane idea they should never hit bad shots or have bad days.  2.  Golfers have an insane idea that permanent change should take place on the next shot.  3.  They have an insane perception that golf is the only sport where gaining knowledge  doesn’t take years of study and experience to understand it.  Which is crazy because it’s the least intuitive sport.

So would you prefer hitting into a net, using video or something for mechanics feedback, vs going to the range?

In all the competitive sports I've done, coached, and watched, those that improve the most practice with sustained intent. Drilling specific skills can ultimately translate to better performance in the game. 

I don't understand why golf should be any different.

To me, this does not  mean being a range rat that hits 300 ball every day. Pretty firmly convinced hitting 30 or 40 balls (for us recreational types) can be very productive if it's done with the right purpose.

Of course, playing the game itself is also highly important as you can't easily replicate many situations of the sport on the range, but that doesn't negate range practice either.

Mindless range time, however, could well be counterproductive.

All this said, it just depends on being honest with your goals. Are you already playing at a level that makes you reasonably happy? If so, then maybe that quick warmup and playing rounds is all you want/need - embrace it. But if you're really trying to improve, I think it takes a bit more focus, preferably with some expert guidance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ripper212 said:

The driving range to me is very beneficial. I started with a bad golf swing, and, got it repeatable (ingrained). It has taken quite a few years, and, lessons to undo it.

I enjoy improving at stuff, so, the range can be fun, but, it can, also, be frustrating. I have realized that I was a terrible golf student, because, it has taken me years to finally understand what my instructors have been telling me. The driving range is essential to get the reps to change and ingrain your golf swing, and, even then, it takes a while to actually bring it to the golf course. I have managed to bring my range swing to the golf course, once or twice, and, it was pretty cool. But, I have, also, zapped myself, and, didn't do anything I was practicing on the golf course. Once, I realized that, I have worked more on ingraining my swing, the driving range, for me, is a place to fix my golf swing. It is still a work in progress, but, I feel I am getting closer.

I do anticipate some ups and downs, as, I discovered I can work on swing speed (I thought my loss of club head speed  was age related, but, more likely it was injury related as I can swing faster)and, it has messed with my smash factor, but, improvement is something I can work on at the driving range. 

12 hours ago, z3bracakes said:

Caveat: this doesn't apply to a practice putting green

Okay, so......do I think beginners should use the range regularly? Absolutely, you're still trying to figure your swing out, what works and what doesn't. 

For me at least, I feel like as I've become a better player, the range has become detrimental to my game. I seem to get out of sorts after one or two bad shots and my tempo starts speeding up. I tend to take that bad juju to the first tee the next day. 

If I do use the range anymore, it's usually only to warm up, hitting maybe 10-15 balls with a wedge.

Warmup like you say, very good. But if you are working on a change it’s very helpful as well. Preferably by a instructor’s advice and you understand exactly what he told you. At my age I work on shifting weight more on my front leg when I warm up. Something due to having hip replacements.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Whenever i respond in threads like this I’m never picking on the OP, I’m citing facts about all golfers.

Golfers ALMOST NEVER look in the right place when trying to improve.

Range time is necessary to improve and retrain poor motor patterns ingrain good ones.

Using that method, yes, the range is a horrible place, but then golfers do that on the course as well.

No pro, college or rec basketball player adjusts their shooting mechanics after every missed jumper.  That would be stupid.  QB’s don’t change mechanics after every incompletion…..I could go on ad infinitum.

Mechanics are changed/adjusted when there is a systemic issue causing a long period of failure.  Then the effort is to make a change and stick with it until the new pattern is formed.  They also dont talk to their friends and relatives about how to change.  They consult experts.

If golfers would just follow the pattern that is used in EVERY other sport, they’d improve.  However, there are three inherent problems.  1.  Golfers have an insane idea they should never hit bad shots or have bad days.  2.  Golfers have an insane idea that permanent change should take place on the next shot.  3.  They have an insane perception that golf is the only sport where gaining knowledge  doesn’t take years of study and experience to understand it.  Which is crazy because it’s the least intuitive sport.

Guessing when you say “problem is golfers adjust their swing AFTER EVER BAD SHOT” on the range what really happens is they adjust a feel or intent on every swing?  From what I’ve seen nearly every player that says he has a new move or attempts something different the swing actually stays the same.  It’s why we need a qualified instructor to make the correct changes in our swings.

It seems the better the player the more they can actually incorporate a move that is different than their stock swing.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

4 hours ago, Nickc said:

Grass good mat bad (except teed up ball for Driver ok)

Late for your tee time? 😂

• Haha 2

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

If I don’t go to the range and just play, I start losing touch with my feels and old patterns start to rear their ugly heads. 

that being said I don’t like hitting a lot of balls as I find it hard to concentrate enough to do anything productive. I rarely hit more than 40 full swing shots at the range.

I just don't think a ton of range time is very beneficial to most golfers because they don't know what they need to work on (or how to work on it) and they just seem to kind of hit balls to hit balls.  If you're going to practice you need to practice with INTENT. 

And I think that golf is a sport where the mental aspect is so important that you HAVE to learn how to actually play the game and not just learn how to swing.  How many times has it happened?  It's a meme at this point - you stripe your last four drivers in your warmup and then you stand on the first tee and....slice it off the planet.  Range golf doesn't necessarily translate into good golf on the course unless you practice correctly.

I guess - like maybe practice shouldn't come first in the case of golf.  You have to learn what you do on the course and then figure out what to practice on.  

Everybody is different and some like a lot of range time and some don't.  My dad for instance was around a 10 handicap most of his life and never hit practice balls.  He said that it did not do him any good and it hurt his hands.  He shot his age when he was 72 so I guess that not practicing worked pretty well for him.  I think that the real key is to enjoy whatever we are doing whether it is practicing or playing.  Or posting on a golf forum...

• Haha 1

I use the range to improve ballstriking.  I play golf to get better at playing golf.  Sounds dumb but for me that is true.

When I play, 99 times out of 100 there is less than 10 minutes from when i got out of the car and when i hit my first shot.

But I certainly spent an enormous amount of time at the range when I was younger to become a better striker.

I only use the indoor range in winter or other inhospitable weather.  With mine, I usually take 15 to 20 very focused swings and go do something else in the house.  In a couple hours I will come back for another 15 to 20 focused shots.

I definitely subscribe to the notion that one gets better at playing golf by playing golf.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Not only that, but a "bad shot" to a  golfer is often just a pretty decent shot that's perfectly within an expected distribution of shots.

The range can be a great place or a horrible place… it all depends on how you use it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell