What is up with Justin Thomas aka JT?

PearSorbet17

On 7/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, golf_junkie_85 said:

calling someone an overachiever is kinda like calling them a fluke....it's like saying someone isn't clutch but hey I didn't say he's a choker! getting in contention compared to actually winning tournaments is what separates good from great players. Rickie must be a MASSIVE underachiever in your eyes?? right??

Not IMO. I think of over-achievement as a compliment. You can't call someone with 15 wins by 30 a fluke. I view a fluke as a one off.

It's hard to win on tour. I'd be very hisitant to call anyone with multiple tour victories an underachiever, but might say Rickie is less clutch and less of an overachiever compared to JT or Tiger.

59 minutes ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

Not IMO. I think of over-achievement as a compliment. You can't call someone with 15 wins by 30 a fluke. I view a fluke as a one off.

It's hard to win on tour. I'd be very hisitant to call anyone with multiple tour victories an underachiever, but might say Rickie is less clutch and less of an overachiever compared to JT or Tiger.

it doesn't work that way man, you can think whatever you want but if you can call someone an overachiever you should be able to call out someone who's an underachiever, those words literally don't exist without each other... if JT and Rickie both retired tomorrow one guy is in the hall of fame and the other isn't. they're not similarly skilled at all, I can't think of one aspect of the game where Rickie is consistently better than JT and I'm a Fowler fan who followed him since he was a rookie.

10 hours ago, golf_junkie_85 said:

it doesn't work that way man, you can think whatever you want but if you can call someone an overachiever you should be able to call out someone who's an underachiever, those words literally don't exist without each other... if JT and Rickie both retired tomorrow one guy is in the hall of fame and the other isn't. they're not similarly skilled at all, I can't think of one aspect of the game where Rickie is consistently better than JT and I'm a Fowler fan who followed him since he was a rookie.

I wrote a reply, then lost it, but got a partial screenshot...the point is that you've never heard of most underachievers.

Also, fwiw, Fowler has had better SG putting than JT 10 of the last 12 years and has had the highest single season SG Total of the two.

Screenshot_20230711-065419_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SkiSchoolPro
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

I wrote a reply, then lost it, but got a partial screenshot...the point is that you've never heard of most underachievers.

Also, fwiw, Fowler has had better SG putting than JT 10 of the last 12 years and has had the highest single season SG Total of the two.

Screenshot_20230711-065419_Chrome.jpg

actually I've heard of many underachievers, Greg Norman, Davis Love III, Sergio Garcia, Colin Montgomerie, Lee Westwood etc .....the definition of underachiever and overachiever all start with EXPECTED performance....you say JT is an Overachiever thus you measured his game and determined he did more than he's capable but yet you say Rickie is similarly skilled but you won't call him an under?? seems like you want your cake and eat it too.SG putting is probably the only measurement of game where Rickie can beat most accomplished tour players, it's not a big factor in whole because of how bad he can hit the ball at times. I have no idea what your continued argument is at this point...Rickie was the next "GUY" coming out of college and people thought he was the next #1 and would win many times including majors at this point of his career. the way JT plays people are freaking out now he's dropped to #20 in the world ranking....be fair man call a spade a spade

6 hours ago, golf_junkie_85 said:

actually I've heard of many underachievers, Greg Norman, Davis Love III, Sergio Garcia, Colin Montgomerie, Lee Westwood etc .....the definition of underachiever and overachiever all start with EXPECTED performance....you say JT is an Overachiever thus you measured his game and determined he did more than he's capable but yet you say Rickie is similarly skilled but you won't call him an under?? seems like you want your cake and eat it too.SG putting is probably the only measurement of game where Rickie can beat most accomplished tour players, it's not a big factor in whole because of how bad he can hit the ball at times. I have no idea what your continued argument is at this point...Rickie was the next "GUY" coming out of college and people thought he was the next #1 and would win many times including majors at this point of his career. the way JT plays people are freaking out now he's dropped to #20 in the world ranking....be fair man call a spade a spade

We have different definitions of underachievers...to date, I'd say DL3 is an overachiever compared to https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2017/03/15/ryan-ruffels-legend-remains-strong-despite-trying-first-year-as-pro-arnold-palmer/

Who do you see as the biggest overachievers?

1 hour ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

We have different definitions of underachievers...to date, I'd say DL3 is an overachiever compared to https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2017/03/15/ryan-ruffels-legend-remains-strong-despite-trying-first-year-as-pro-arnold-palmer/

Who do you see as the biggest overachievers?

it's getting silly now...you don't know who my biggest overachievers are but based on your "definition" of an overachiever it's clearly Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods LOL....I'm done no more thread hijacking, can't debate opinions with someone who isn't sure of their own

Edited by golf_junkie_85

On 7/11/2023 at 8:25 AM, golf_junkie_85 said:

actually I've heard of many underachievers, Greg Norman,[snip] Colin Montgomerie

Norman was #1 in the world for 6.3 years, designed many great courses, has own clothing label, is filthy rich, swatted the PGA off their high horse, is still in the media spotlight,

Montgomerie was #1 Euro Tour Order of Merit for 7 consecutive years.

Tough crowd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Norman was #1 in the world for 6.3 years, designed many great courses, has own clothing label, is filthy rich, swatted the PGA off their high horse, is still in the media spotlight,

Montgomerie was #1 Euro Tour Order of Merit for 7 consecutive years.

Tough crowd.

you do realize in order to be an underachiever you have to start with some recognizable talent that's clearly above your peers

Normans financial situation doesn't make up for the fact that the guy choked in all 4 majors and has the same Major total as John Daly who's career best world ranking was 23rd. 

do I even need to explain Monty?? guy had rabbit ears and was a head case whenever he played in the states...clearly underachieved in the majors when he had chances

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3whacker said:

Did JT just play his way out of any contention for a Captain's pick for the Ryder Cup

Yes 

But how cool would it be if he gets one regardless as the team wants him and he lights it up and comes back with vengeance. When In Rome… see what I did? 

But the answer has to be he will not be teeing it up. 

8 minutes ago, manku said:

If my Dad ( and mom too) showed up at my workplace everyday for a decade plus it might begin to affect me.  

When I used to volunteer at Riviera, I thought it was really odd that his Dad followed him everyday for every shot.  

At this point does he tell his dad to stay home? I feel like it’s time to hit reset

• Like 1

My personal opinion is he was chasing more distance and messed up his swing. He's just a little guy and he swings out of his shoes literally. Swing looks loose and out of control to this untrained eye. 

• Like 3

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

35 minutes ago, kwcsports said:

My personal opinion is he was chasing more distance and messed up his swing. He's just a little guy and he swings out of his shoes literally. Swing looks loose and out of control to this untrained eye. 

he needs to get into the gym in order to build a body that can support his swing ie see rory ;}

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Raise your hand if you got married and your game got better.

Only after the divorce 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

2 hours ago, kwcsports said:

I have no credentials to support myself but I wholeheartedly disagree. He can’t make a 4’ putt. He can’t find a fairway. A gir. Etc. he’s in deep in a slump and I don’t think that’s the case at all. He needs a new coach, dad needs to stay home. Then again he’ll make more this week missing the cut than I ever will from the sport of golf so who am I to say anything. 

2 hours ago, southpaw72 said:

I have no credentials to support myself but I wholeheartedly disagree. He can’t make a 4’ putt. He can’t find a fairway. A gir. Etc. he’s in deep in a slump and I don’t think that’s the case at all. He needs a new coach, dad needs to stay home. Then again he’ll make more this week missing the cut than I ever will from the sport of golf so who am I to say anything. 

He actually won’t make anything by missing the cut, but we get your point.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, southpaw72 said:

At this point does he tell his dad to stay home? I feel like it’s time to hit reset

I think just the opposite, maybe just maybe its time for Mike to tell him " son, you need to own your swing and game and be your own man" Mr Thomas gave him some good fundamentals, but maybe he needs to find his son a Tour quality coach like Claude III...face it JT has always been the little guy wanting to hit it like the big boys , he aint gonna have a growth spurt at this point of his life. From a technical standpoint maybe he needs to flatten  that upright swing just a touch 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Spieth gets married, game goes in the crapper.

Fowler gets married, game goes in the crapper.

JT get married, game goes in the crapper.

Raise your hand if you got married and your game got better.

Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods walk into the arena.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2