What is up with Justin Thomas aka JT?

PearSorbet17

81 at a the easiest golf course in major championship history 😉 had got to hurt.

At this level of golf, I imagine it only takes a few small things to be off and you're turning in an 81 at a pitch and putt.

However, going through a bad patch is part of the natural life cycle of a player. Plenty of players have been in the doldrums and have come back. Fowler, Spieth, Stenson, Day, and many others. I'm sure Thomas will too. 

lets look at his swing, a small guy with an upright swing taught by his Dad a PGA golf pro...his swing needs impeccable timing to stay sharp and right now he is missing all lover the place....the guy has TWO Wannamakers at home in the case...IMO the only thing JT needs is a new clothes stylist and shoe coordinator

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, MMB1500 said:

81 at a the easiest golf course in major championship history 😉 had got to hurt.

At this level of golf, I imagine it only takes a few small things to be off and you're turning in an 81 at a pitch and putt.

However, going through a bad patch is part of the natural life cycle of a player. Plenty of players have been in the doldrums and have come back. Fowler, Spieth, Stenson, Day, and many others. I'm sure Thomas will too. 

I'm not sure as L.A. Country club being the easiest course in Major History as no one is running away with this tournament and some of those Par 3's are my par 4's as they are crazy long. I do agree with him going thru a bad period in the cycle of a player as he will bounce back. That's what Scottie, Rory and everyone goes thru but we are love to speculate how oh, he needs to change putters or look at his release, homelife in trouble etc.etc. I was very surprised how he missed the cut so badly but that's golf, its a very humbling game

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 6/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, 3whacker said:

.IMO the only thing JT needs is a new clothes stylist and shoe coordinator

The hot pink fluorescent pants he wore were, uhhh……… interesting….

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

Jack Nicklaus once said that when you are young and good, you see every putt going in the hole - and they do.  Then, at some point in your career, they stop going in the hole.  Later on, you might have a few really good putting weeks a year, but it certainly isn't every week.  Rickie went through it, and now he has a magic putter - which might last for awhile.  Johnny Miller - his bad putting pretty much ended his career, after making everything when he was younger.  Seve - lost the putting magic.  Jordan Spieth - might be the same thing.

At least that was Jack's opinion on putting - but what does he know.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, golf_junkie_85 said:

well if you're always hanging out at Tigers place and seeing all his trophies, you'll always feel like an underachiever...I think he just puts too much pressure on himself. he can easily end his career with 5-6 majors and 30-40 wins if he just lets it happen.

No way is he that caliber player

He's already overachieved

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

JT is my guy and it’s been hard to watch him playing the way that he has done over much of the last year or so.

The wins he he had in 2021 and 2022 were great, great wins - a PGA and a Players Championship - 99% of the guys out there would take that as a career and say thank you very much but events of a huge statute aside, two wins in almost three years is not the rate of knots that he has shown himself to be capable off. 

The putter of course has been an issue for some time and the sea of negative numbers on his putting stats means that to compete he needs every other part of his game to be at a higher level and whilst around the green he seems to be about as good as ever, everything else has fallen off. His driving seems (by comparison to others) to have become shorter and more crooked. It’s interesting to see his ball speed numbers off the tee. Whilst those you would consider his peers are all regularly getting it into the 180’s, he seems to really have to go some to get into that realm and his swing speed is down at 77th fastest.  His iron play which over the years had always been Top 10 at worst is now suddenly just in the Top 50. With those drop offs added to his putting, it is not surprising that he is not clocking up the regular top 10’s never mind wins. 

Two things that jump to my mind to explain it are one which I have heard and one that I have thought. The one I have heard mentioned but never in any great detail is that there is some kind of injury. JT does not appear to have mentioned it anywhere but it has been mentioned a handful of times on a popular podcast. The other issue that I have pondered, and having nothing to actually back it up, is that in becoming the guy that has more the shots than almost anyone does he stand over the ball with almost too many options. Seemed like the years he won multiple times on Tour he did it by hitting it hard and hitting it high with his driver and irons. He now has many more shots and is more complete but the one dimensional golfer won more. As I say that it just a thought I have had and I have no other basis of thinking it other than likely being a huge fan and watching more of JT than most. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Has anyone ever played a round of golf and just didn't feel right and wanted to just get it over with. Listen these guy play 4 rounds and to keep it all together that long is very challenging. Just look at Rickie Fowler shoots a 62 on the 1st day then on the last day +5. Now how can that happen can someone explain this. Maybe it's because they are human and W. Clark scrambled and lagged putted better than the filed to get his 1st Major win.  Yes I know Scottie and Rory couldn't make a birdie putt as that the most missed putts ever to witness by 2 top player paired together. They both brought home a nice paycheck and I'm sure JT is living pretty comfortable too.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

8 hours ago, Ferguson said:

image.png.908939e8b0510a68506f04998892e689.png

Hide contents

image.png.61f2fda9a168bd50da41b3b0f409cb87.png

THERE IT IS! 😂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 6/19/2023 at 4:21 AM, MattyO1984 said:

JT is my guy and it’s been hard to watch him playing the way that he has done over much of the last year or so.

The wins he he had in 2021 and 2022 were great, great wins - a PGA and a Players Championship - 99% of the guys out there would take that as a career and say thank you very much but events of a huge statute aside, two wins in almost three years is not the rate of knots that he has shown himself to be capable off. 

The putter of course has been an issue for some time and the sea of negative numbers on his putting stats means that to compete he needs every other part of his game to be at a higher level and whilst around the green he seems to be about as good as ever, everything else has fallen off. His driving seems (by comparison to others) to have become shorter and more crooked. It’s interesting to see his ball speed numbers off the tee. Whilst those you would consider his peers are all regularly getting it into the 180’s, he seems to really have to go some to get into that realm and his swing speed is down at 77th fastest.  His iron play which over the years had always been Top 10 at worst is now suddenly just in the Top 50. With those drop offs added to his putting, it is not surprising that he is not clocking up the regular top 10’s never mind wins. 

Two things that jump to my mind to explain it are one which I have heard and one that I have thought. The one I have heard mentioned but never in any great detail is that there is some kind of injury. JT does not appear to have mentioned it anywhere but it has been mentioned a handful of times on a popular podcast. The other issue that I have pondered, and having nothing to actually back it up, is that in becoming the guy that has more the shots than almost anyone does he stand over the ball with almost too many options. Seemed like the years he won multiple times on Tour he did it by hitting it hard and hitting it high with his driver and irons. He now has many more shots and is more complete but the one dimensional golfer won more. As I say that it just a thought I have had and I have no other basis of thinking it other than likely being a huge fan and watching more of JT than most. 

You’re right on the money about the too many options(https://golf.com/instruction/tiger-woods-advice-justin-thomas-shotmaker-pga/). Seems as if he’s taken Tiger’s advice to the extreme, when it works it’s fine but when he’s a little off it he starts having a two-way miss especially with the driver.

• Like 1