2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 TP5 and TP5X balls…

hammergolf

First tp5x testing I've seen. Looks to be a good contender. Spin sits between prov1x and chrome tour. 

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

I got an email from them today saying i was chosen to test the new balls and they would be sending me 4 packs of each of the new balls.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade QI10 3 Hybrid Tour AD DI 85S 
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Initial thoughts after a few rolls with the putter:

• TP5x feels VERY similar off the putter to the Left Dash. Almost the same sound too. Fingers crossed the durability is better because that was my major complaint with the LD.
  • TP5 feels very soft to me and you can also hear the softness too. Definitely more of a muted sound off the face
  • Compared to the 2019 model, which I've been playing for 4 years, the TP5x is definitely a little softer and the sound isn't quite as "clicky" at impact

I was supposed to get out tomorrow morning and play, but everyone in my group is either sick themselves, or has a sick kid, so we had to cancel. Weather looks good here Saturday, so I'll see if I can sneak out Saturday afternoon for a quick 9 holes to give them a better test.

Based on my experience with previous models, I'm going to guess the TP5 is going to spin way too much for my liking (I'm a higher spin player), but I'm very optimistic the new TP5x will be a good fit. We'll see. I don't have immediate access to a launch monitor but will give my best impressions based on the eye test.

EDIT: I also wanted to add, that one thing I noticed was all the balls were a #1, which is a departure from their previous iterations (previously went #1, #2, #3, #5). As someone who is a bit OCD as it relates to numbers, I like that, but I know not all will. Just wanted to pass that on for others who may also be a bit OCD with ball numbers.

Edited by MichiganMan
  • Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

IMG_1889.jpeg.ac03707e9a6af5988177e92dd5e2844d.jpegJust some quick initial testing with my 6 iron.  I hit 5-6 shots with each and kept the best 3 of each.  Interesting start.  

I did a few Driver swings and it seems the 24TP5X is as advertised with some bigger ball speeds and maintaining that lower spin characteristics.  I’ll get a better session and post later.  

• Like 2

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

42 minutes ago, tsecor said:

looks like TM still has a ways to go before being ready to compete against the big dogs

Don't think the TP5x is a good fit for Mike's game. Put it in the hands of a higher speed higher spin player, could be much better.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

1 hour ago, KhiloD said:

Don't think the TP5x is a good fit for Mike's game. Put it in the hands of a higher speed higher spin player, could be much better.

I agree I don't think TM has a bad ball it just fits a certain type of player. If you want firm/higher spin then prov1x. If you want firm/mid spin then tp5x. If you want firm/low spin then Chrome Tour.

I've played 2019 TP5x the last few years. Everything is perfect except for greenside spin. I find it puts me on more greens so I don't need the greenside spin as much. When I play a higher spin ball I miss more fairways and greens and then need the spin. I was hoping 2024 tp5x was 2019 until the green and then 2021 around the green. It looks like Chrome Tour might be the ball to check out for what I need. The CSX LS was too hard and didn't have the greenside to make it worth it, so far it looks like they might have fixed that.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

1 hour ago, KhiloD said:

Even the Chrome Tour was for him in that video which they said around the end. That test should have been ProV1X, CTX, TP5 with another or maybe with Ian being ProV1, CT and TP5X as a better comparison. 

But that's testing gotta throw everything at it. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I also received an email from Taylormade to test the 2024 TP5/TP5x balls.  I filled out the form and will test these when they come in.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 hours ago, tsecor said:

looks like TM still has a ways to go before being ready to compete against the big dogs

Yea Mikes game I don’t see as anything close to being a good fit for the TP5X.  Have Ian test it against the left dash before any conclusions.. which is what I’m about to do soon as well.  

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Ohhhh the new TP5X is good.  Real good.   They must have put fairy dust in one of the 5 layers, because it's an all around great golf ball.  I'm very picky when it comes to a golf ball and am genuinely stoked.  It's firm not clicky, low spinning (but not too low), high with the irons, good in the wind and plenty of good green side spin.  I played 18 holes today, and I switched out balls on hole 16.  It wasn't scuffed but worn a little.   It was able to hang with Chrome Tour during yesterday's driver testing.  CT is long so, there's that.

I was ball striking today.  I hit 16 out of 18 greens, and the ball did all things well.  What more would you want? 3 birds and two bogeys and the rest pars.  I had some good looks for birdie and just didn't capitalize on them.  71.  I'm not one to share my round often but, I'm stoked for 2024 season if we are starting out like this.  Tp5X will be a top contender for the bag.  (posted on another thread but wanted to drop it here as well)

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 4

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

18 hours ago, KhiloD said:

agreed.  I do like the fact they used mike for this testing because he represents a very large portion of amateur golfers out there.....his swing speed and distances are very relevant. Given this test, i am sure a ton of amateurs will look for other balls to use

Ian mentioned the CSX a few times and I will tell you, that ball is so under rated. The Chromesoft X was a hidden gem.  as a Titleist fanboy, the LEFT DOT was the best ball i ever played......the CSX flew differently, but overall i shot my best scored with LD and CSX and sadly, both are not available to me......i should buy a bunch of leftover CSX if i can find them

18 minutes ago, tsecor said:

agreed.  I do like the fact they used mike for this testing because he represents a very large portion of amateur golfers out there.....his swing speed and distances are very relevant. Given this test, i am sure a ton of amateurs will look for other balls to use

Ian mentioned the CSX a few times and I will tell you, that ball is so under rated. The Chromesoft X was a hidden gem.  as a Titleist fanboy, the LEFT DOT was the best ball i ever played......the CSX flew differently, but overall i shot my best scored with LD and CSX and sadly, both are not available to me......i should buy a bunch of leftover CSX if i can find them

the CTX is definitely superior to the CSX at least in my limited testing so far. Just feel wise it's leaps and bounds better, but is definitely faster off the driver and distance on irons while carrying better spin numbers was evident throughout the bag.

4 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

the CTX is definitely superior to the CSX at least in my limited testing so far. Just feel wise it's leaps and bounds better, but is definitely faster off the driver and distance on irons while carrying better spin numbers was evident throughout the bag.

The CTX is the replacement for the CSX? 

i get confused with callaways marketing

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

The CTX is the replacement for the CSX? 

i get confused with callaways marketing

yes 

CT - new Pro V1 competitor - but has makings more of a soft CSX LS

CTX - CSX replacement - same flight window, more ball speed and spin on irons

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

yes 

CT - new Pro V1 competitor - but has makings more of a soft CSX LS

CTX - CSX replacement - same flight window, more ball speed and spin on irons

nice.....im glad you mentioned feel, even though i know its subjective. The one thing I didnt like about the CSX was the feel....not horrible but it wasnt perfect

Just now, tsecor said:

nice.....im glad you mentioned feel, even though i know its subjective. The one thing I didnt like about the CSX was the feel....not horrible but it wasnt perfect

100% how I felt. I liked the performance, but the feel left something to be desired. So I played Z-Star Diamond. The CTX now has a very similiar feel to the diamond but better flight (for me) and it's less spiny on driver and longer than the diamond as well.

3 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

100% how I felt. I liked the performance, but the feel left something to be desired. So I played Z-Star Diamond. The CTX now has a very similiar feel to the diamond but better flight (for me) and it's less spiny on driver and longer than the diamond as well.

well, you convinced me to test it out...im gonna give it a shot

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wvgolfs said:

Completely disagree. He’s not that great of a player and doesn’t have much speed. This ball isn’t for players like him. That’s all it is

i would disagree because the "better" balls he tested worked better for him, so the direct comparison was telling.

and like i said in other response, i think using him is a great thing because he represents a huge section of amateur golfers and now they know this ball most likely will not work for them

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

i would disagree because the "better" balls he tested worked better for him, so the direct comparison was telling.

and like i said in other response, i think using him is a great thing because he represents a huge section of amateur golfers and now they know this ball most likely will not work for them

That’s the thing. He doesn’t have the speed for this ball. It’s not made for people like him. Balls are extremely personalized and just because it doesn’t work for him doesn’t mean it’s not a top tier ball 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Ohhhh the new TP5X is good.  Real good.   They must have put fairy dust in one of the 5 layers, because it's an all around great golf ball.  I'm very picky when it comes to a golf ball and am genuinely stoked.  It's firm not clicky, low spinning (but not too low), high with the irons, good in the wind and plenty of good green side spin.  I played 18 holes today, and I switched out balls on hole 16.  It wasn't scuffed but worn a little.   It was able to hang with Chrome Tour during yesterday's driver testing.  CT is long so, there's that.

I was ball striking today.  I hit 16 out of 18 greens, and the ball did all things well.  What more would you want? 3 birds and two bogeys and the rest pars.  I had some good looks for birdie and just didn't capitalize on them.  71.  I'm not one to share my round often but, I'm stoked for 2024 season if we are starting out like this.  Tp5X will be a top contender for the bag.  (posted on another thread but wanted to drop it here as well)

See, now I'm mad at you bro.  Instead of buying 2 boxes of either '24 Cally and TM ball, you got buying one of each.  CT and TP5X.  I have high expectations now for both balls.  

• Haha 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Just finished playing 18 holes at my local par 3 course. Was the best I could do today given everything going on. Here’s my thoughts:

For reference, I’m hitting off mats to dormant zoysia greens. Longest hole is 105, shortest is 55. 

TP5 - honestly blown away by this version of the TP5. Absolutely shattered my expectations. Given how spinny the 2021 version was, I was expecting this to be right in the same vein and honestly it wasn’t at all. With the previous version I have a hard time keeping a wedge from ripping off greens. This model I only had that happen to me once and it honestly could’ve been the slope in the green. Under no circumstances could I have played the 2021 model, but I could absolutely envision a scenario in which I’d play this ball. Very impressed. 

TP5x - this ball is everything I was hoping it would be. It’s a slightly softer, slightly less “clicky” version of the 2019 model. This model might have slightly more spin, but honestly the difference was negligible. Had multiple wedges land side by side and finish within a foot of each other. My expectations were that this would be close to the 2019 model and that’s exactly what I feel like this is. Very satisfied with this. If the long game does what I expect it to do, this will be my new ball. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x