Blended iron sets

Razor4888

My plan for the new release of Callaway Apex products is the UT in the 4i spot, CB in the 5i, 6i, 7i, and the MB in the 8i & 9i.  So yes, I think that blended sets are the way to go!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

12 minutes ago, Razor4888 said:

Is anyone getting fitted into blended iron sets? I am currently playing Mizuno MX 300 so I am curious what I would consider in current brands. For example Cobra might be Forged Tec for 7,8,9 and king cobra for 4,5,6. What would be a good Titleist  combo?

If you’re swinging at less than tour speed, I’m a big believer in blending sets and expanding loft gaps at the mid/long ends of iron sets, where some manufacturers’ lofts tend to crash together, to make sure you have reasonable gapping.

So, here are some examples that I think work well:

Srixon Mk II ZX4 5 iron (23 degrees), ZX5 6/7 irons (27, 31 degrees), ZX7 8/9/PW (36, 41, 46).

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro 4/5 (19, 1 weak to 23 degrees), Forged 6 (standard 27), Forged 7-GW) (1 weak to 31, 35, 40, 45, 50).

Titleist T350 4 iron (20 degrees), T200 5 iron (24 degrees), T150 6-GW) (28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48).

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 5 iron (23 degrees), Apex 21 6-GW (26.5 degrees, 30.5, and so on).

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Don't overlook the fact that some iron models come pre-blended as the set was designed.

Since the Rocketbladez irons came out, many TaylorMade models have a polymer-filled ThruSlot in the sole from 7i and below, and a more traditional one-piece cavity in 8i and above. ThruSlot helps with launch on longer irons, one-piece cavity lessens chance of ballooning on shorter irons. Picture below shows the P770 irons from TM.

image.png.0efae2dd89d7daec4e4846b475eba604.png

Other OEMs have come up with parallel methods for helping long-iron launch and lessening short-iron balooning. Wilson V4 model uses tungsten sole weights on longer irons, while Callaway's Apex'24 CB uses progressive Center of Gravity.

image.png.e1428b542aff4aa575a1204a25be052f.png

If you go with a set that's pre-blended internally, you avoid the hassle of fine-tuning yardage gaps created when you go jump across iron models.

Edited by ChipNRun
Grammar.
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

40 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Don't overlook the fact that some iron models come pre-blended as the set was designed.

Since the Rocketbladez irons came out, many TaylorMade models have a polymer-filled ThruSlot in the sole from 7i and below, and a more traditional one-piece cavity in 8i and above. ThruSlot helps with launch on longer irons, one-piece cavity lessens chance of ballooning on shorter irons. Picture below shows the P770 irons from TM.

image.png.0efae2dd89d7daec4e4846b475eba604.png

Other OEMs have come up with parallel methods for helping long-iron launch and lessening short-iron balooning. Wilson V4 model uses tungsten sole weights on longer irons, while Callaway's Apex'24 CB uses progressive Center of Gravity.

image.png.e1428b542aff4aa575a1204a25be052f.png

If you go with a set that's pre-blended internally, you avoid the hassle of fine-tuning yardage gaps created when you go jump across iron models.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Its starting to seem like people are way to into blending their irons before they even hit them and or realize many iron sets are already "pre-blended". I play the 223s 5-PW and the 225 in the 4i. The 223s are pre-blended and the long irons are shockingly easy to hit. So much so that I regret adding the 225 4 iron which was recommended to me by the fitter. I love my 5 iron so much that I often defer to it even when the shot calls for a 4 iron. The 2 models have such different looks and feel that I feel the need to spend extra time to get comfortable using the 225 4 iron where as if I had just ordered the 223 4 iron it would have a very familiar comfortable feel and I'd have more confidence with it. I'm a 12 index with lot of speed so maybe this is just a very specific problem for me, but I've talked to low handicaps who have similar regrets blending the ZX5 and ZX7s.  

Personally, I wouldn't recommend blending your irons until you know you have to and the only way to know that is to play many rounds with the full non-blended set. Many manufacturers have designed their current long irons to be extremely forgiving. The P770s and 223s are 2 great examples of sets that don't require blending because of this. 

3 hours ago, Razor4888 said:

Is anyone getting fitted into blended iron sets? I am currently playing Mizuno MX 300 so I am curious what I would consider in current brands. For example Cobra might be Forged Tec for 7,8,9 and king cobra for 4,5,6. What would be a good Titleist  combo?

I've been a Titleist person for a long time.  Had Titleist first attempt at blending irons, 2-PW - 735cm, in play for about a year.  They were made up of 3 different styles of irons, from Deep cavity CBs, to moderate CB's to full blades. 

I have been playing Titleist 3-PW – 620 MB and 620 CB blended in since they were introduced.  The 620 CBs were specifically designed to blend in with 620 MBs and designers did a wonderful job; best I've seen.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I think a lot of manufactures even offer "default blend guide" as how to normalized the different lofts over blended sets

For example:

Mizuno  

image.png.9fa8e305c14c8dbe81448bb1123ce7d4.png

I think if you are looking for Titleist, the popular blends are:

CB + MB

T100 + CB

T150 + T100

T200 + T150

• Like 1

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've been a Titleist person for a long time.  Had Titleist first attempt at blending irons, 2-PW - 735cm, in play for about a year.  They were made up of 3 different styles of irons, from Deep cavity CBs, to moderate CB's to full blades. 

I played the 735cm irons for about 5-6 years, they are my favorite set of Titleist irons so far. I still have them.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G400 Max 10.5 
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 23* Tensi Red R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I definitely believe in the concept of blended sets.  Currently playing Srixon Z565 6i with Z765 7i-9i.  I have been looking for a Z965 PW, but haven't found a "deal" yet, and I am currently loving a Vokey 46-10F (bent to 47-11) as my PW, so I probably won't bother.  I also extend the blending concept to my hybrids, playing small "players" hybrids in the 4 and 5 spots, and a larger, fairway wood-ish, hybrid in the 3 spot (and sometimes a 2h in the fairway wood spot, too).  So its not uncommon for me to be playing 4 vokeys, 4 irons, 4 hybrids, driver and putter.  Kinda weird, but it works for me to maintain good yardage gaps through the set.    

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

image.png.539099082278064bd2360b5fe58c0175.png

Again,

8 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I play a combo set of 2 different brands, PXG in the 3-4 and TM in the 5-9.

• Like 2

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

10 hours ago, Razor4888 said:

Do you read threads on here. Every thread that is about irons talks about blending sets. What is funny is 5 years ago there were threads on here hating on people who blend sets of they were not a tour player. Complete 180 now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BagofToast said:

I play a combo set of 2 different brands, PXG in the 3-4 and TM in the 5-9.

Many people do this, just a couple from one OEM, then 4 or more from another. I’d like to see someone’s makeup that plays 4 of one and 4 of another. You could easily play 4 Apex UT and then play 4 PXG MB. 

3 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.539099082278064bd2360b5fe58c0175.png

Again,

Just because a set may be "pre-blended" doesn't mean you don't get added benefits from a split set. 80% of the tour uses more than one iron model... you never know, they might be onto something

Companies are purposefully making their sets blend seamlessly together to allow customers the ability to create the set that best fits them, you might as well take advantage.

6 hours ago, MOlson18 said:

Just because a set may be "pre-blended" doesn't mean you don't get added benefits from a split set. 80% of the tour uses more than one iron model... you never know, they might be onto something

Companies are purposefully making their sets blend seamlessly together to allow customers the ability to create the set that best fits them, you might as well take advantage.

This is maybe a misleading stat as it’s accounting for the pros that have a utility long iron. With the stronger lofts I view these as more of a fairway wood replacement than I do a blended iron set. 

My question is for those Club Junkies, with a blended set is it hard to trade your irons in on a newer set as I could see having a blended set if I could play year around as my back up set only.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Considering that 70% percent of Titleist staffers play some kind of split set(having a different or a couple of different longish irons) I think the tour speed thing is even off now.  Almost everyone can or should play a blended set.  I mean there is nothing wrong playing SGI down to your wedges for everyday golfers.  Even the best players in the world are putting 3 and 4 irons in their bags that are T200, T150, U505 in 5 and 4 irons.

Tom Wishon did testing and (at the old 8 iron lofts, roughly todays 9 iron lofts) almost all players can play even muscle back blades without much issue as long as the CoG's work well for their misses. 

Cameron Young one of the highest swing speeds on tour, and hits it center more often than anyone reading this post, is playing 5,4,3 in bigger faster, more forgiving chassis.  Max Homa, JT, Wyndham Clark, Brian Harmon are playing some kind of blended set, maybe only one iron, most multiple, and even more playing fully more forgiving full sets(T100) with an iron or two or three (T150, T200, U505). 

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Heck, I have two different brands and shafts through my iron set at this point. Sand and lob wedge gave a third brand of shaft and are different brand heads from each other.

But they all work and do what I expect. I first got fit into a blended set in 2005 for my MP32 and MP60 set. Same lofts, same appearance at address as far as I could tell, and just a little more confidence in the 60s. That’s an easy decision. I would not, however, just go in expecting to blend a set today “just because”. Mizuno makes clubs to be blended, but they also make the 223 a “pre-blended” set and for pretty much any single digit handicap that’s honestly probably the right choice. Cobra seems to be on that train as well. I was just reading a testing article where the Titleist T100, 150, and 200 have far more consistent spin across the sets (accounting for loft), so they are far more appropriate for blending than the outgoing T100/200 sets where spin drops dramatically in the 200. Lots of people play it that way, but I wonder whether it’s really better for them.

The one I never understood was the PXG 0311T/0311P blended sets. So many people post about getting it that way, but the PXG progressive offset makes those two very different sets when you split them. I could probably get used to all Ps or all Ts but looking at the T 9-iron then looking at the P 6-iron is just a massive difference. 

Since you’re a current Mizuno player I’d be willing to bet that either the 223 or the Hot Metal Pro would satisfy the needs of any golfer who is even considering the blended set issue. 

Somebody said it’s a hassle to tweak lofts, but if you’re ordering irons, and especially forged irons, the shop should be checking lofts and lies and swingweight and total weight when they come in anyway. Even the best OEM tolerances are wide enough to want to tidy them up. 

I wish the OEMs would make more "blended" sets.  When I look at iron sets the long irons are either not forgiving enough or the short irons are too clunky with too much offset.  Some of the OEMs that have "blended" sets that I've played are Titleist 775.CB, TM TP MC/CB and other TM irons.  In my bag now are G400 irons with progressive offset.  The mid and long irons are great.  The short irons might be too clunky for some. I've tried to blend them with I200 irons but realized that I didn't gain anything.  The G400 short irons work very well for me despite their girth.  

4 hours ago, circa3182 said:

This is maybe a misleading stat as it’s accounting for the pros that have a utility long iron. With the stronger lofts I view these as more of a fairway wood replacement than I do a blended iron set. 

I agree.

What is a blended set? If you have 5-pw in one model and some hybrids or driving irons is that considered blended? If you have 4-9 iron in one model and a Vokey pw is that blended?

I play the 223s 5-pw with a 225 4i. I don't really consider my 4 iron a member of my irons. I treat it more like a versatile driving iron and an alternative to my 7 wood when playing in windy conditions. I don't consider my set to be blended for these reasons.

I would consider any set with more than one model a blended set. The guys on tour might only need help with the very top of their, maybe their three or two iron while a lot of Amateurs need help with their six or seven. Both take advantage of more than one model to get the most playability out of their set.

9 hours ago, R5Two said:

I don't care for blended sets myself. Turf interactions, ball speed on misfits, etc. However like many have said my game to 200yds is accomplished with wedges through 5i. I say P-5 in the same set and do whatever you need to with 4i up and it's not really blending it's just a set. 

Agreed. Carrying T100 and having a T200 utility build isn’t a blended set IMO. When I thing blended I think of the 7 or the 6 being the first different club from the 8 or 7 down.