Titleist Woods 2024

4 minutes ago, zeke66 said:

Praying Titleist doesn't mess anything up here with the driver. The only thing they need to do is reinforce the top lines on the fairways. The paint chips off too easily. Makes me feel like I’m always breaking my 5 wood when hitting out of fluffy Bermuda. 

I agree. TSR was solid so it’ll be tough to improve on it.

• Like 2

SM10 was nothing but a "don't f**k it up" release. TSR3 was as well. It's not a stretch to think the new woods would be the same, because really - how are they going to improve on the TSR line?? 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

50 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

SM10 was nothing but a "don't f**k it up" release. TSR3 was as well. It's not a stretch to think the new woods would be the same, because really - how are they going to improve on the TSR line?? 

R&D is usually at least from years out from any kind of current retail release, but they’ll have to make the next jump at some point. The TSr line was as good as anything on the market, but if you think a company the size of Acushnet is striving for “as good as”, you’re likely mistaken.

Best ball sales and most used on Tour, great. Most recognizable putters, check. Most popular wedges, got that one. The T series irons have been a smash since they released back in ‘18/19. It seems like their best bet for an uptick in any particular sub-market would be driver/FW, which you don’t see many non-staff players using (primarily Ping/TM), so it wouldn’t surprise me to see some changes to their wood line at some point (although in a very Titleist-y, clean and traditional way). 

3 hours ago, zeke66 said:

Praying Titleist doesn't mess anything up here with the driver. The only thing they need to do is reinforce the top lines on the fairways. The paint chips off too easily. Makes me feel like I’m always breaking my 5 wood when hitting out of fluffy Bermuda. 

This is usually what they get told from all of their staffers, improvements are welcomed but just don't mess it up.  Titleist is pretty good with subtle but noticeable changes for the better.  

2 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I realize that releases are scheduled years in advance - manufacturing would be impossible otherwise. But to be fair, there were a good number of non-contract drivers in play as soon as TSi became available to the tour. And players don’t seem to have a problem signing a contract to play the driver. Titleist routinely wins the driver count and they’ve been top of the pile for wins in various seasons in the past 4 years. They even admitted that direction from the tour players was just to not screw up TSR because TSi really was that good.

They may have something up their sleeve, but we’re getting pretty maxed out across all the brands. 

I don’t disagree at all really. As a matter of fact, the TSr3 was my favorite driver from the previous cycle. There drivers are a great product and one of the best options available. Aesthetically, they’re no frills, but still look great. The feel is top of the line. Performance is fantastic too. But that wasn’t really my point. Regardless of the feedback they received, the next line of product has already been in the works for years. 

Besides, it was really just a testament to their other products… not a knock on their woods. Can you improve your market share if you’re already leading the industry (and have been for decades) by a significant margin in a lot of the segments I mentioned? Can you get more guys to play a Vokey or ProV if they’re already doing it? Can you get better public perception of a Scotty if most recreational golfers have one or would love to have one? I’m sure Tour reception was fantastic for the last two generations of Titleist product and elite am’s, but the recreational golfers I know playing Titleist drivers are few and far between. 

2 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I’ll die on the hill that the driver you play 1000% does NOT make any difference. At all. Not one bit. You can go to any OEM and get fitted and your scores would be the same as with anybody’s else’s fitted driver. The stats would be indescribable from each other. Everybody makes great equipment with a broad enough line-up to optimize anybody that walks in their door. So you may as well play what looks and feels the best. And it doesn’t get any better than Titleist drivers in that department.

I’d have to disagree in principle with you here. Can most golfers get similar performance from another OEM? Sure. But the product doesn’t matter at all? I’ve been fit for a driver twice in the last 4 years and saw a clear winner each time. As far as being maxed out and pushing the limits, sure, but most players will still have a driver (maybe two) that performs better for them than an alternative. 

If there was no benefit, why would any pro play a non-staff driver? Would it alter better players scores significantly? Probably not. But I would suggest that the worse the player, the MORE important it is for them to find the right club for their game. If you’re playing the center of the face all day, discrepancies are going to be marginal, but then again… better players are looking for margins, not enormous gains. Jim, Bob, and Joe that play the muni every weekend on the other hand could find a drastic different playing a TSr2 vs. a 425 Max. Basically, the results are going to depend on the ability of the player (obvious) and the better the ability, the smaller the deviation (but also the more significant to their game). 

1 hour ago, MFBach said:

I’d have to disagree in principle with you here. Can most golfers get similar performance from another OEM? Sure. But the product doesn’t matter at all? I’ve been fit for a driver twice in the last 4 years and saw a clear winner each time. As far as being maxed out and pushing the limits, sure, but most players will still have a driver (maybe two) that performs better for them than an alternative. 

A clear winner, sure - but I don't care where you go, you'll never get the same treatment and attention to detail you will as a staffer at the Kingdom or TPI. An OEM has nothing invested in somebody that just wants a club or two. Rory is playing a driver with a dot beside the loft - you ain't getting that at retail OR in a fitting. The point being that if a fitter had endless resources to spend on you, it wouldn't matter one bit what brand he fit you into.

"If there was no benefit, why would any pro play a non-staff driver?"

For the reasons I talked about above I suppose - look sound feel. Golf is a game of confidence. Maybe they like the shape of one over another or they just grew up as a fanboy of a particular brand. That isn't unique to amateurs.

Also - how do you split up the replies like you did? I still haven't figured that one out.

Edited by The Mad Bomber
Sp

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I fail to see how they can make them any better. My tsr2 was the best overall driver during my fitting last august by a mile. The ping g430 max was marginally more forgiving but nearly ten yards shorter and the other paradym was ten yards longer but we couldn’t get it dialled in the same. I rarely miss a fairway with my tsr

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I fail to see how they can make them any better. My tsr2 was the best overall driver during my fitting last august by a mile. The ping g430 max was marginally more forgiving but nearly ten yards shorter and the other paradym was ten yards longer but we couldn’t get it dialled in the same. I rarely miss a fairway with my tsr

same as everyone else: improve ball speed on mishits and manage spin. 

Edited by RacineBoxer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

An OEM has nothing invested in somebody that just wants a club or two.

They have EVERYTHING invested in a player that’s going to buy a club or two. Professionals provide exposure for their product, and help drive sales for the guys buying that one driver this year. Read the other responses ITT thread and most of them are waiting for the new release because the TSr was easily the BEST club for them when they picked it up. 

10 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

"If there was no benefit, why would any pro play a non-staff driver?"

For the reasons I talked about above I suppose - look sound feel. Golf is a game of confidence. Maybe they like the shape of one over another or they just grew up as a fanboy of a particular brand. That isn't unique to amateurs.

C’mon now… a professional goes off-brand with a specific club for non-performance related reasons? He’s sponsored by Cobra, but plays a Stealth because he likes the sound better? Or grew up playing with something similar? Playing for a few million a week? Even if it is a confidence inspiring club, there’s going to be a performance benefit that comes with it. They want the best result, just like the rest of us.  

9 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

A clear winner, sure - but I don't care where you go, you'll never get the same treatment and attention to detail you will as a staffer at the Kingdom or TPI.

Well, we’re moving the goalposts a little here, and you’re probably right about the technology available at those facilities. I doubt many fitters have 360* radar at their range or six grasses to test from, but any GOOD fitter can look at the same parameters, make the same adjustments, offer the same solutions… and they can do it with multiple brands and heads. 

Rory is playing a driver with a dot beside the loft - you ain't getting that at retail OR in a fitting.

You won’t get the same driver Rory gets, but that was kind of my point… we don’t need it. 200 rpm and 0.15* of loft isn’t going to make or break a round of most players, regardless of how much they want that Tour head.

The point being that if a fitter had endless resources to spend on you, it wouldn't matter one bit what brand he fit you into.

I’ve been fit at some of the facilities you mentioned and I’ve been fit at the same shop I’ve used since I was in high school, with little to no discernible difference in quality of product or result between the two. The pieces of the puzzle are always the same and every fitter is working towards the same finished puzzle, even if he doesn’t have a full outdoor range at his disposal (at least as far as drivers are concerned).

If you went for a fitting at TK/TPI, you could and probably would be blown away at the resources available to them. But when that driver arrived, you would still get the same product you ordered from “insert club fitter”. 

Also - how do you split up the replies like you did? I still haven't figured that one out.

We can agree to disagree on the rest of it, but this part is easy enough. Just select/highlight the text you want to quote, click the “quote selection” button that pops up, then rinse and repeat. I find it easier to have conversations that make sense or answer questions specifically that way. It’s easy to get lost in a wall of text when someone quotes an entire post.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jds101086 said:

They don't need to change a thing, just keep the performance of the '4' version and get rid of that damn TSr logo as the alignment aid and go back to triangle from the 910.

I would repurchase the TSr 4 if they went back to the triangle and 1 letter on the bottom. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

You have to figure at a minimum the 3 gets the updated variable face thickness, like the 2 and the 4 did in the current models. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

23 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

I have a buddy that’s a Titleist fitter I spoke to a few weeks ago when I was just talking to him about shafts and other companies drivers. He said there were a few tour players testing it and it was really solid. I didn’t dive into tech stuff with him but he always shoots it straight with me and told me how it was. Titleist usually releases their driver in the fall so sept/october. 

If he told you Sept/oct he’s not shooting straight to you 😬

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, btyh said:

The triangle was the DCI logo.  Never understood what the tech was behind "direct central impact" 

DCI logo was triangle with a line in front of the point of the triangle, with the triangle pointing up.

My favorite irons of all time: Titleist 962B – GolfWRX

910 series had that graphic rotated to the left on the crown

image.jpeg.6d69a67c8237a1c08261adc8d199691d.jpeg

I liked the 915 series version crown alignment better

image.jpeg.a855da12550d0aa3b702e2f7037ef4d1.jpeg

Edited by dwboston
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4