2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What’s with taking your hat off?

Dumb.  Don't do it if you don't want.  I have lived in two different parts of the country and nobody took their hat off in one and lots of people like to now.  I used to do it more, but I am growing my hair and it takes some work to get that stuff positioned up in there correctly, so I am just disgracing and not respecting people nowadays.

My guess is that people want to look like the tour guys that the see on TV.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It isn't something I generally do unless everyone else in the group is doing it. And even then, I'd say in only about 1 out of 10 rounds I play with others does anyone take off their hat at the end. I'm happy to shake hands or bump fists but I dislike the hat removal gesture since I'm clumsy and usually end up accidentally dropping my putter on the green while taking the hat off with one hand and and shaking hands with the other, or hitting myself in the head with my own putter.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Haha 1

My perception (which may be totally wrong - just anecdotal observations from 50 years of golfing) is that removing the hat on 18 is relatively recent, a kind of tradition that actually used to be infrequent, but who's growth coincided with golf being broadcast on TV. Remember, up until maybe the mid 1990s, you mostly got to watch golf either in person, or as a sort of one-off ... the majors were televised, but the notion that you'd get to watch every tournament live on TV is really only this century. (The Golf Channel didn't even start until 1995.)

In my early years of golf, 1960s-1970s, I don't seem to remember that many people doing it. Then again at the time, a lot of golfers didn't even wear hats. And the now almost completely ubiquitous baseball-style golf hat wasn't nearly as widespread. The "flat hat" was popular for a time (remember Ben Hogan and Payne Stewart - and Bryson DeChambeau actually wears one now and then). Others were too. In the last half of the last century, golf was sorts of slowly transitioning from a "gentleman's game" to an actual sport. In the early part of the century, is was quite common to see cuffed shirts and ties worn. Today golf clothes are largely athletic, you want absolutely nothing restricting the swing, and the golf hat is almost universally used for the same reason it is in baseball ... because you are playing outdoors, under the sun. A visor just makes sense.

What was widespread was taking your hat off (if you were wearing one) when you went to the clubhouse. The rule always was - and still is today in many private clubs - no spikes or hats indoors. This however, was part of a much wider social tradition where it was just considered polite, a sign of respect, to remove your hat indoors. In fact (for instance) in the vast majority of US courtrooms to this day it is considered a no-no to wear a hat in court - and it isn't just unwritten etiquette, Judges or Bailiffs will tell people in the gallery to remove hats. 

So I suspect what may have happened is that when golf was starting to be broadcast a lot more, and virtually everyone had started wearing hats, the pros just started widely adapting the removal of the hat in the clubhouse to it's removal on the 18th green. There's never been anything official, nothing ever written about it, it is one of those unspoken little things that just sort of came about. It looks good on TV - carries a tone of respect and decorum with it. And as the pros started universally doing it, it (naturally) spread throughout the world of amateur golf.

So (weirdly) I think what actually happened is that a very old tradition - taking one's hat off indoors - was extended to the final hole. But that is really quite a recent "new" tradition. 

Some amateurs do it, but many (if not most) don't, in part I suspect for a very simple reason. On the PGAT, your caddy takes your putter after the final putt. They've got nothing else in their hands. Take the hat off with the left hand, shake hands with the right. Amateurs sometimes fumble around holding both a hat and a putter (I've seen it). I know that sounds really minor and silly, but still. 

(Again, I may be completely wrong about all of this - these are just observations.)

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

2 hours ago, lookylookitzadam said:

Wow, I'll have to look through that when I get a moment. Just out of curiosity. Ay first glance, I can't even imagine how something this trivial (trivial but kinda fun) could possibly turn contentious. 

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

As a widespread practice, it’s a relatively recent phenomenon.
I think people at private clubs did it more often than at resorts or public tracks. I recall seeing it done at a couple of private courses at least 40 years ago but there were also caddies present. I think it was linked to adjourning to the 19th hole where no hats were allowed. 

Television coverage of the Tour has popularized this practice. 
I don’t do it. I do take my sunglasses off and shake hands but you end up holding too much stuff if you’re trying to manage hat, sunglasses, and putter. 

• Like 2

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Since Covid I don't shake hands with anybody for anything.

Just a fist bump. :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think more people are wearing baseball caps than in the past. No reason to take off a visor. It's a simple show of respect, no big deal if you don't want to do it.

Now, don't get me started about the guys who think you need to take off your hat every time you step indoors.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

23 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Since Covid I don't shake hands with anybody for anything.

Just a fist bump. :classic_biggrin:

Yeah, because Covid germs love the skin on the palm of your hand, but can't stand the skin on the other side.

• Haha 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Simple.  It's a sign of respect and thanks for the people you played with.  If I take my hat off when shaking your hand, and you don't, I'll notice it, and maybe make some judgements based on your behaviour.

May not make any difference today, but might in the future.

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, rogolf said:

Simple.  It's a sign of respect and thanks for the people you played with.  If I take my hat off when shaking your hand, and you don't, I'll notice it, and maybe make some judgements based on your behaviour.

It's an entirely superficial bit of stuff. Judge someone by how they treat you the previous five hours… not whether they're willing to fumble with their hat, wipe their hand through their sweaty, hat-matted hair, and offer you that same hand to shake (their other hand is holding their hat, putter, the wedge and a towel they needed on the prior shot…  while outdoors. 

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's an entirely superficial bit of stuff. Judge someone by how they treat you the previous five hours… not whether they're willing to fumble with their hat, wipe their hand through their sweaty, hat-matted hair, and offer you that same hand to shake (their other hand is holding their hat, putter, the wedge and a towel they needed on the prior shot…  while outdoors. 

That behaviour would not be a sign of respect.  It is possible to do otherwise.

10 hours ago, bobfoster said:

My perception (which may be totally wrong - just anecdotal observations from 50 years of golfing) is that removing the hat on 18 is relatively recent, a kind of tradition that actually used to be infrequent, but who's growth coincided with golf being broadcast on TV.

Umm… 50 years ago when I started golfing my high school golf coach taught me to do this at the end of every match. Win or lose you take off your hat and shake your opponent’s hand. 

I’ve been doing that every round since then. 50 or 60 rounds a year for the last 51 years. And will keep doing it as long as God gives me the chance to play the game I love. And respect the people I play with.

Edited by Schulzmc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

Umm… 50 years ago when I started golfing my high school golf coach taught me to do this at the end of every match. Win or lose you take off your hat and shake your opponent’s hand. 

I’ve been doing that every round since then. 50 or 60 rounds a year for the last 51 years. And will keep doing it as long as God gives me the chance to play the game I love. And respect the people I play with.

Perhaps some don't remember golf customs before telecasts became readily available?

• Like 1

The ultimate respect is not judging folks who see things differently than you.  I guess that it is easier to tell people about the good old days and to get off their lawn than actually accept different thoughts and opinions.

I may shake or not, take my hat off or leave it on, but who am I to judge anybody?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jda said:

The ultimate respect is not judging folks who see things differently than you.  I guess that it is easier to tell people about the good old days and to get off their lawn than actually accept different thoughts and opinions.

I may shake or not, take my hat off or leave it on, but who am I to judge anybody?

Obviously, that's your opinion.  Other's opinion may be different.

4 minutes ago, jda said:

I hope I did not give you the impression that I was judging you. I could care less whether you take your hat off and shake hands after a round. I will do it every time as a sign of respect for my playing partners and the game. But if you choose not do to do that I have no ill feelings or judgements to make. Your call.

3 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

I hope I did not give you the impression that I was judging you. I could care less whether you take your hat off and shake hands after a round. I will do it every time as a sign of respect for my playing partners and the game. But if you choose not do to do that I have no ill feelings or judgements to make. Your call.

Not at all.  That is a great way to be yourself and do so and also allowing others room to be themselves.  Respect all ways.

Edited by jda

19 hours ago, jda said:

Dumb.  Don't do it if you don't want.  I have lived in two different parts of the country and nobody took their hat off in one and lots of people like to now.  I used to do it more, but I am growing my hair and it takes some work to get that stuff positioned up in there correctly, so I am just disgracing and not respecting people nowadays.

My guess is that people want to look like the tour guys that the see on TV.

Oh my.... I was raised to take my hat off indoors and whenever greeting people. I despise men who do not do that.

21 hours ago, Chumpydude said:

It'sna tradition thats carried over since the medieval times. Generally people shook hands with their right hand so to show they had no weapons in their left hand they would take off their helmet and hold it in their left hand as a show of respect and to show they were not going to attempt an assassination on the person.

As true as that may be, it wasn't all that widespread in golf.  I know I posted a link in the other tread to a video of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, where Gene Littler and Byron Nelson shook hands with their hats on.  It seems to me that the hat-off handshake became more popular in the 90's.  

• Like 1