2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What’s with taking your hat off?

15 minutes ago, davep043 said:

As true as that may be, it wasn't all that widespread in golf.  I know I posted a link in the other tread to a video of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, where Gene Littler and Byron Nelson shook hands with their hats on.  It seems to me that the hat-off handshake became more popular in the 90's.  

Yep.

Look at these heathens of disrespect:

gty_471167230_72602812-1.jpg

little-league-classic-handshakes.png

article-2651566-1E8919C900000578-512_634sam-snead-and-ben-hogan-shake-hands.jpg?

Scoundrels, all of them.

You're all entitled to your opinion, but if you're going to judge a guy you've just spent five hours with based on the fact that he doesn't want to take his hat off outside, well, then that person might also be judging you for judging them.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I take off my hat when shaking hands on the 18th green, and I NEVER wear my hat in the grill room afterwards.  Both are just habits of mine, and far, FAR from my worst ones.  No judgement from me if you don’t; it just me.  

Bear Bryant didn’t wear his trademark houndstooth hat in the Superdome the first time Bama played there in the Sugar Bowl.  When asked about it after that game, he said in his classic southern drawl that his mama taught him that a gentleman never wears his hat in the house.  And my understanding, though I never got to experience it, was that Palmer didn’t allow hats to be worn inside the grill room at Bay Hill.

When I was a very young HS basketball coach, I read that John Wooden swept the gym floor himself EVERY day before practice, so I did that until the day I retired after 40 years; if it was good enough for Wooden, it was good enough for me.  And so it is with the Bear and Arnie and hats.  

A decade ago, the groups I play with had maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the guys pulling off their hat before shaking hands at the end of the round. It gradually dwindled down to not quite zero but only very rarely do I see that. 

It was the Tiger Effect in my opinion. I never used to see that in the 90's and early 00's then it became A Thing during Tiger's heyday. Or maybe that's just a coincidence. In any case, it's just another in the long list of Monkey See, Monkey Do that people pick up from watching golf on TV.

FWIW, almost invariably the guys doffing their hats would run their palm across their sweaty head just before extending it to shake. Again, just like on TV. Yuck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, North Butte said:

In any case, it's just another in the long list of Monkey See

The one that entertains me most is when a guy at the club level takes off his sunglasses, reverses them, and puts them around the back side of his hat.  I'm always tempted to ask them if they too get money from Titleist to display the hat logo just like the guys on the TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Since Covid I don't shake hands with anybody for anything.

Just a fist bump. :classic_biggrin:

I am the same way now.

It's not that I am afraid of Covid. COVID opened my eyes to the hygiene of a number of people. I had people come to work knowing they had Covid.  I also had a guy show up in my golfing group knowing he had Covid. That same guy I have noticed coming out of a stall after dropping a load and walking right out of the bathroom without washing his hands. The number of people that leave a restroom without washing their hands is amazing in it's self. Friends or strangers I am not interested in shaking your hand.

I used to take my hat and sunglasses off and shake a persons hand after the round. I try to avoid the whole situation now by saying nice playing with you and walking the other way.

On 3/24/2024 at 7:52 AM, Soloman1 said:

you can't run your right hand through your hair and lather it with sweat before shaking hands without taking your hat off.

Fact!  Always thought that was yucky....  🥴

Ping G430 LST 9.0 - Alta CB 55-S // G430 Max 5-wood - HZRDUS Red RDX 70 // G430 4H-22 - HZRDUS Red RDX 80

Mizuno JPX 923 HM 4-P / Recoil 780 ES // Vokey SM8 50-54-58

Ping PLD Anser 2 Satin // Bridgestone Tour B RX

golf2b.png

In a casual round when I’m not competing, not only do I not remove my hat but I also don’t shake hands. I just don’t see the point. Why would I want to shake hands with someone sweaty, rubbing their nose, one guy would even spit on his hands before taking his grip. People are disgusting generally, no thanks. If you judge me for it, that’s your problem more than mine.

In before the lock!

You’re an unwashed heathen if you don’t take your hat off after a round to shake hands. Some people have etiquette, others don’t. You know which you are. “You can’t have a little grace.”

That said, Arnold Palmer didn’t take his hat off after his final round of his final US Open. So there’s that. 

Edited by Augster
  • Like 2

What always gets me is I have my putter in one hand and then have to take my hat off with the other, then do the awkward shift putter over to hat hand knocking off the ball marker of the hat clip.  Then I'm bending down to pick it up and the putter falls out of my hand.  (this all did happen once, i felt like a doofus).  Ill just keep my hat on now.

• Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

In TV golf I like the hat removal gesture so I can see if the pro has a head of hair, or lack thereof. That is closer to who they really are, not a guy under a hat with a brim and sunglasses.  Myself, I don't wear a hat but sometimes I'm in sunglasses. I always remove those whether it's the final hole or greetings on the first tee.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

What about all of those animals who throw their hats into the air?  Graduates, golfers, hockey players, baseball players and everybody else after a game where they are excited.  Maybe this should be the new norm on golf courses... instead of disrespecting the group behind you by having your ritual in play, disrespect them even more by throwing hats up/around in celebration and taking even more time to get off of the green.

1 hour ago, jda said:

What about all of those animals who throw their hats into the air?  Graduates, golfers, hockey players, baseball players and everybody else after a game where they are excited.  Maybe this should be the new norm on golf courses... instead of disrespecting the group behind you by having your ritual in play, disrespect them even more by throwing hats up/around in celebration and taking even more time to get off of the green.

Palmer did it! Nicklaus did it once because Arnie did it and said his attempt was so lame he never did it again - instead he tried to kill Doug Sanders with a putter!

• Like 1

My mom taught me, “Never wear a hat where it can’t rain on your head.” So whenever I am inside the hat comes off. 

Manners aside, I appreciate when someone takes off their hat and sunglasses when we shake hands so I can look them in the eye. Sunglasses obviously prevent this, and a hat can leave most of their face is shadow. Look me in the eye and shake my hand and I have a different impression of you than I would otherwise. 

But again - that is just me. I don’t judge if that is not your desired practice. 

19 hours ago, tatertot said:

Yeah, because Covid germs love the skin on the palm of your hand, but can't stand the skin on the other side.

Eggs-actly !!! :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

58 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

It's archaic and probably not people many care one way or the other. On the flip side it doesn't take too much effort either. All that said, to me, this is just a "you do you" thing.  I can't imagine anyone really be offended either way these days.

Anyone getting upset by whether another person's hat is on or off has much more important problems to deal with than whether another person's hat is on or off, if you know what I mean.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

Anyone getting upset by whether another person's hat is on or off has much more important problems to deal with than whether another person's hat is on or off, if you know what I mean.

Maybe. On the other hand, if a person does not feel up to show courtesy and good manners in this case what other cases they are doing the same thing?

Good manners cost nothing but bad manners may cost respect of other people. Why risk it?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 11:25 AM, bobfoster said:

Wow, I'll have to look through that when I get a moment. Just out of curiosity. Ay first glance, I can't even imagine how something this trivial (trivial but kinda fun) could possibly turn contentious. 

Well Bob, after reading through just two pages of posts do you see how the previous one ended up the cooler!?

Thats where this one is likely headed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Well Bob, after reading through just two pages of posts do you see how the previous one ended up the cooler!?

Thats where this one is likely headed. 

Occasionally, I forget where I am. 🤣

image.png.d4fd5bad2c1a6c1ad464bd1167d96d9a.png

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Take your cap off or not, who cares other than the PC Police. I know some guys at my club that take their caps off to shake hands after a round but then go in the grill and eat and drink with it on.

Who cares, there are so many disrespectful acts to complain about. Spitting on greens, urinating on the trees, cigarette butts on the course etc., etc.

If it bothers you, say something and/or don’t play with them.
I personally think it’s unnecessary seeing that it originated in medieval times with knight visors. Not relevant today.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Maybe. On the other hand, if a person does not feel up to show courtesy and good manners in this case what other cases they are doing the same thing?

Good manners cost nothing but bad manners may cost respect of other people. Why risk it?

But if taking a hat off outdoors is not an issue of manners in any other context, why would you assume that a person who leaves their hat on is refusing to show courtesy? It’s much more likely they just didn’t think about it. I know I sure don’t often. Seems the rude thing is to assume someone is being rude simply because they don’t respond as I expect in an atmosphere that is outside the norm. 

28 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

But if taking a hat off outdoors is not an issue of manners in any other context, why would you assume that a person who leaves their hat on is refusing to show courtesy? It’s much more likely they just didn’t think about it. I know I sure don’t often. Seems the rude thing is to assume someone is being rude simply because they don’t respond as I expect in an atmosphere that is outside the norm. 

Not taking your hat off simply tells that the person in question has not built a routine on it. If one is accustomed to remove their hat in all such occasions one does not forget it.

For me & my first recollection, it started with TW.

I'm 10 years older than him, but I don't remember it from my youth. I remember starting it after seeing him do it in the late 90s.

I've also been to UK several times and many of the clubhouses have a "no hats inside" rule...

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

IBTL!

I don’t do it. I find it odd, awkward, and affected. I also do not want one more thing to hold on to. If it is part of your routine, cool, do your thing, but under no circumstances am I going to think you are rude if you don’t take your hat off!

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle