MACHINE Putters Picture Thread

DB MACHINE

To All MACHINE Customers,

Thank you to the vast majority of you for your patience and understanding as we’ve worked through our structured reorganization under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and since having our case dismissed.

Some folks posted here and elsewhere about Ch11 proceedings, but in fairness, the details posted were not the complete picture by any means. For instance, our best years saw well over a million dollars in gross sales, not the capital-constrained numbers we produced after we lost funding and before we filed Ch11 bankruptcy. It’s been an extremely challenging and very humbling experience going through all this, but the reorganization process is one that we believe will ultimately benefit our customers, creditors and partners the best way possible.

As most of you know, the golf industry has been undergoing some very significant changes and challenges. Our little company has had to write off over hundreds of thousands of dollars in bad debt, including significant sums owed by some of our best accounts (trade and industry R&D clients). We also unexpectedly lost two big R&D accounts, angel investor funding, two lines of credit and significant distributor orders, all within a matter of weeks. Any one of those would be a big blow to a bigger company. To a small company like ours it was all very devastating, and led to many dark days and sleepless nights.

For those that claimed we “stole” monies from customers, that’s absolutely not the case. We have been working diligently to complete orders and process refunds such that we could during this time. However, the US Bankruptcy Court (a division of the US Dept. of Justice) has very strict rules against the payment of pre-filing debts during the bankruptcy until the reorganization plans are approved (originally scheduled for Dec. 15th) or the case dismissed. So our hands were tied regarding refunds during the approx 120 days while we were operating under bankruptcy.

I also would like to point out that the Court approved our Debtor-in-Possession status, and also approved our initial operating budgets and operating plans going forward. The US Trustee and the Court approved our case dismissal. We chose that route and method to get there after we had a workable settlement with the one major creditor that forced our hand in the Ch11 filing. We have not discharged any debt and intend to pay off our debts as quickly as possible under our new operating plans.

Since case dismissal we’ve been working hard to institute our new operating plans, including moving into a smaller space in a new location with new partners and new business opportunities, and operating with a much smaller staff at least during the interim and initially while we get our feet back under us. This has taken a little over two months since case dismissal so far, and will take another month or more until we are fully operational on all fronts. While we’d like to move faster, we are constrained by limited resources and more modest operating plans.

I apologize for the lack of communications, but we literally didn’t know from one day to the next which way some of these bigger deals were going to go, and I had a mandate and advice of counsel to keep communications to a minimum while we were in negotiations with 3rd parties. Negotiations with the other parties have taken many twists and turns, several of which were unforeseeable as we worked through numerous options and fielded interest from numerous entities.

I am pleased to announce that we’ve now concluded a new multi-year, multi-patent licensing agreement with yet another company, and are now moving forward with our new business model which includes an innovative all-new line for 2017, new work for several other golf brands, as well as diversification into other sports and outdoors products, which I am also really excited about.

With your help and support we’ve managed to survive, and are now about to complete our last open orders and also refund the others who have deposits on file. If you are reading this and are in either group, please feel free to email me directly, and I will personally reply with timing for completion of orders or the refund process. All I ask is for your continued patience as we still need a little more time to complete orders and refunds. If we had to process all at once we’d most likely be back in Ch11 or possibly even Ch7, so I hope everyone can appreciate that some more time is needed to complete this work.

I can be reached at my old email: [email protected]. Please provide all pertinent order details when you write and your best contact information. I can’t always connect the dots for posters here due to mostly anonymous screen names, so please use email for any and all order inquiries. I’m taking the holiday off tomorrow to be with family and then I’ll be back at work, and will try by best to reply to all emails within a day or two at most.

After all orders are completed and all refunds processed, we’ll introduce the new models for 2017. These will be almost entirely ready-made, ready-to-fit and ready-to-customize models. I’ll also continue to make Prototype, ART and Garage models, but in smaller numbers due to my duties with the other facets of the new business plans.

We’ll also be sharing some ready-made models from our inventory that can be completed with options for length, grip and loft and lie specs only. The more we sell of those the better our cash flow and the quicker we can institute our new operating plans, so your help and support will be greatly appreciated. I hope some of you can give us a second chance.

I apologize for those of you who feel we let you down or didn’t treat you right while we’ve been through this process. I’ve run Dogleg for 22 years and I’ve always tried my very best to treat our customers with the utmost respect and appreciation you all deserve. As some of our trade customers went belly up, as lines of credit were suddenly cancelled and as we lost investor backing and operating capital, we were left in a really tough spot, the first time in those 22 years we couldn't fill all orders or refund those that didn't want to wait. Many people, probably more sane than I, would have thrown in the towel.

But I’m not quitting, not now and hopefully not any time soon. Not after what we’ve been through and not with what we have achieved so far, and what we have planned next. We’re going to keep fighting and working our tails off to make the best putters in golf and provide the best service too. It wasn’t too long ago that we did just that, and I look forward to doing it again, and hopefully even better going forward.

Wishing you all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

-Dave Billings

Dave - thanks for coming on and explaining what you could. I for one have been critical of what's been going on because I've purchased 5 or so custom putters from you in the past and I know what you are capable of... so it was truely sad to see and even experience with my last order. That being said I'm more than willing to order a putter from you to help restore some faith on here and get the thread back with cool new putters. You would have to explain to me your timeframes and I would expect they be met but you putters have been some if not the best I have ever used.

I hope the guys on here get there putters or refunds.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Dave--understanding there is much work to be done to recoup customer trust, and agreeing with UnderPar's sentiments, best of luck and very much looking forward to your new line. Enjoy the holiday. Excited to see what MACHINE has in store for the future...you guys put out some of the best product I've seen in a long time, and I hope that continues.

I love Dave's putters. I own quite a few. His unique designs and quality work make using and collecting Machine putters fun. I appreciate his note today and respect whatever limitations he may have been under. I do believe that whatever restrictions there were, they didn't include making false promises nor preclude giving his customers some general sense of what was going on with his business. Having said that and also having personally experienced the delays and false promises, I can only say " The Proof will be in the Pudding " I wish Dave and Machine the best.

I love Dave's putters. I own quite a few. His unique designs and quality work make using and collecting Machine putters fun. I appreciate his note today and respect whatever limitations he may have been under. I do believe that whatever restrictions there were, they didn't include making false promises nor preclude giving his customers some general sense of what was going on with his business. Having said that and also having personally experienced the delays and false promises, I can only say " The Proof will be in the Pudding " I wish Dave and Machine the best.

Well said

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

So glad Machine is coming back! I want to drop cash on accessories like ball markers, divot tools, head covers, t-shirts, anything! I buy putters to game and my one and only machine has helped my scores on the greens so much I can't imagine getting another for a while.

Hope to do business with you real soon Dave!

Dave, as one of your long time customer and supporter, I read with much trepidation and chills down my spine about what you and your company are going through.

I guess I am lucky you fulfilled my order and not lost in the debacle. That putter head was special, you made it for me and eveytime I roll one in "thats a Dave special" and truly I am lucky I got the head back with a new tail and shaft.

I for one will be ordering again once you've settled your business. The truth is - how could I not.

I always said what you did and are doing with MACHINE and all the innovation, is special, out of the box and generations ahead of the industry. Even now, no one has even caught on yet.

So I wish you luck and all the best with the settling down and recovering from the Chap11 and build the company stronger and better.

I hope you retained some of your staff like Libby, she was great to deal with.

All the best and I look forward to your offering in the 2017.

Happy Thanksgiving ad from my family to yours - THANK YOU for my special putter.

Alby

MGC member #61

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old dying thread it seems. But,can anyone give any insight to what's up with Machine?

I've always wanted one,just never got around to it,and have found some floating on eBay for good prices now. I have read the pages and noticed maybe the putters are done for.

It would just be nice to know specs and or get weights for the adjuster heads. Also,if anyone can say if the putter can be bent since they are attached with a screw. Thanks anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got more info?

Explains why my emails have not been returned... I have been trying to buy an aluminum putter grip for several months now. Anyone got a line where I could get one?

good luck. I wouldn't bother.

I paid for a putter over 6months ago after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures on here.... they answered my emails almost instantly when working on what I wanted.... once I paid the money they basically went silent and once and awhile I'll get an email saying sending next week... but now silence again looks like they have no problem stealing money.... literally answered 10 emails in a couple days time haven't answered any once they STOLE my money

Same...he broke the code...

U need to start working your a** off to get your refund -- cancel if on CC or Paypal file a claim. Get a bit tougher on your emails. Don't sit back until you get your refund.

Looks like Dave's back at it. This was posted on the Machine Putters facebook page about an hour ago..

https://www.facebook...ACHINE.putters/

2023 WITB: 

PXG Black Ops TOUR-1 9* Driver

PXG Black Ops 3 & 5 Wood

PXG GEN4 ST Irons, 4-PW w/ Project X I/O 6.0

Titleist SM9 RAW  Wedges, 52,56,60

PXG Battle Ready 2 Bat Attack w/ M16 Shaft, PXG Straight XL Grip (380Gram,37")

PXG Xtreme Golf Ball

Well I wanted to share my latest additon .... let me 1st say that i have recently figured out that a long plumbers neck is what suits my stroke the best...coupled with 1/4 shaft offset and around 3 degrees loft... so ive collected up several options along this line.... well.... this one may just be "the one"...... Its a M-10 Fixer ART.... long neck , naked , with a Mokume-Gane insert , sole weights black shaft and Leather Machine grip.... 1 of 2.... only this one has sole weights ....

I took it out for a quick 9 after work and only had 13 putts for the side! really love the feel it has... soft yet has a distinct "click" which i love as im used to a putter with a sound slot....all in all its a near perfect as it could be !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bladehunter,

what a beautiful addition. Those images are what I miss about this thread. Time spent looking at pages and pages of Machine 'artwork' before my first purchase.

I hope she treats you well.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Bladehunter,

what a beautiful addition. Those images are what I miss about this thread. Time spent looking at pages and pages of Machine 'artwork' before my first purchase.

Thanks man ! She sure did today! I may finally fill the hole that GSS Mann left ( that's for you Marco ) ! Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Had quite a bit of discussion with BH about the above-pictured Machine Art putter, just a beautiful piece of functional art. Truly hoping things are progressing well toward getting back on track where Dave can again display his work here.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Great pickup on the art proto!

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

f7e740b0ca340cfb2a220ad04839147a.jpg

Picked this one up from shank. Can't wait to try it outdoors!

Now that's a Beauty as well. I recently had a pinstripe similar to that but you know how that story goes. Someone made an offer I couldn't refuse. Lol. Can't keep them all. Nice pickup !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well I wanted to share my latest additon .... let me 1st say that i have recently figured out that a long plumbers neck is what suits my stroke the best...coupled with 1/4 shaft offset and around 3 degrees loft... so ive collected up several options along this line.... well.... this one may just be "the one"...... Its a M-10 Fixer ART.... long neck , naked , with a Mokume-Gane insert , sole weights black shaft and Leather Machine grip.... 1 of 2.... only this one has sole weights ....

I took it out for a quick 9 after work and only had 13 putts for the side! really love the feel it has... soft yet has a distinct "click" which i love as im used to a putter with a sound slot....all in all its a near perfect as it could be !

That putter is stunning BH. Love that neck. I set up well for LN myself and that is a dream putter.

Bladehunter,

Thanks man ! She sure did today! I may finally fill the hole that GSS Mann left ( that's for you Marco ) ! Lol.

A beautiful putter like that deserves to be gamed and I know it will be. #1/2 is a looker and 2/2 isn't too far off.

• 2 weeks later...

To All MACHINE Customers,

Thank you to the vast majority of you for your patience and understanding as we’ve worked through our structured reorganization under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and since having our case dismissed.

Some folks posted here and elsewhere about Ch11 proceedings, but in fairness, the details posted were not the complete picture by any means. For instance, our best years saw well over a million dollars in gross sales, not the capital-constrained numbers we produced after we lost funding and before we filed Ch11 bankruptcy. It’s been an extremely challenging and very humbling experience going through all this, but the reorganization process is one that we believe will ultimately benefit our customers, creditors and partners the best way possible.

As most of you know, the golf industry has been undergoing some very significant changes and challenges. Our little company has had to write off over hundreds of thousands of dollars in bad debt, including significant sums owed by some of our best accounts (trade and industry R&D clients). We also unexpectedly lost two big R&D accounts, angel investor funding, two lines of credit and significant distributor orders, all within a matter of weeks. Any one of those would be a big blow to a bigger company. To a small company like ours it was all very devastating, and led to many dark days and sleepless nights.

For those that claimed we “stole” monies from customers, that’s absolutely not the case. We have been working diligently to complete orders and process refunds such that we could during this time. However, the US Bankruptcy Court (a division of the US Dept. of Justice) has very strict rules against the payment of pre-filing debts during the bankruptcy until the reorganization plans are approved (originally scheduled for Dec. 15th) or the case dismissed. So our hands were tied regarding refunds during the approx 120 days while we were operating under bankruptcy.

I also would like to point out that the Court approved our Debtor-in-Possession status, and also approved our initial operating budgets and operating plans going forward. The US Trustee and the Court approved our case dismissal. We chose that route and method to get there after we had a workable settlement with the one major creditor that forced our hand in the Ch11 filing. We have not discharged any debt and intend to pay off our debts as quickly as possible under our new operating plans.

Since case dismissal we’ve been working hard to institute our new operating plans, including moving into a smaller space in a new location with new partners and new business opportunities, and operating with a much smaller staff at least during the interim and initially while we get our feet back under us. This has taken a little over two months since case dismissal so far, and will take another month or more until we are fully operational on all fronts. While we’d like to move faster, we are constrained by limited resources and more modest operating plans.

I apologize for the lack of communications, but we literally didn’t know from one day to the next which way some of these bigger deals were going to go, and I had a mandate and advice of counsel to keep communications to a minimum while we were in negotiations with 3rd parties. Negotiations with the other parties have taken many twists and turns, several of which were unforeseeable as we worked through numerous options and fielded interest from numerous entities.

I am pleased to announce that we’ve now concluded a new multi-year, multi-patent licensing agreement with yet another company, and are now moving forward with our new business model which includes an innovative all-new line for 2017, new work for several other golf brands, as well as diversification into other sports and outdoors products, which I am also really excited about.

With your help and support we’ve managed to survive, and are now about to complete our last open orders and also refund the others who have deposits on file. If you are reading this and are in either group, please feel free to email me directly, and I will personally reply with timing for completion of orders or the refund process. All I ask is for your continued patience as we still need a little more time to complete orders and refunds. If we had to process all at once we’d most likely be back in Ch11 or possibly even Ch7, so I hope everyone can appreciate that some more time is needed to complete this work.

I can be reached at my old email: [email protected]. Please provide all pertinent order details when you write and your best contact information. I can’t always connect the dots for posters here due to mostly anonymous screen names, so please use email for any and all order inquiries. I’m taking the holiday off tomorrow to be with family and then I’ll be back at work, and will try by best to reply to all emails within a day or two at most.

After all orders are completed and all refunds processed, we’ll introduce the new models for 2017. These will be almost entirely ready-made, ready-to-fit and ready-to-customize models. I’ll also continue to make Prototype, ART and Garage models, but in smaller numbers due to my duties with the other facets of the new business plans.

We’ll also be sharing some ready-made models from our inventory that can be completed with options for length, grip and loft and lie specs only. The more we sell of those the better our cash flow and the quicker we can institute our new operating plans, so your help and support will be greatly appreciated. I hope some of you can give us a second chance.

I apologize for those of you who feel we let you down or didn’t treat you right while we’ve been through this process. I’ve run Dogleg for 22 years and I’ve always tried my very best to treat our customers with the utmost respect and appreciation you all deserve. As some of our trade customers went belly up, as lines of credit were suddenly cancelled and as we lost investor backing and operating capital, we were left in a really tough spot, the first time in those 22 years we couldn't fill all orders or refund those that didn't want to wait. Many people, probably more sane than I, would have thrown in the towel.

But I’m not quitting, not now and hopefully not any time soon. Not after what we’ve been through and not with what we have achieved so far, and what we have planned next. We’re going to keep fighting and working our tails off to make the best putters in golf and provide the best service too. It wasn’t too long ago that we did just that, and I look forward to doing it again, and hopefully even better going forward.

Wishing you all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

-Dave Billings

What a class act! It takes a great amount of courage and dignity to say what he did and share the inner workings of his life and business. This is the kind of company and individual I would be proud of supporting. May my next putter be a Machine!

• 1 month later...