2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

Curry's a pro athlete, conditioned to performing in front of millions on TV and in the stadium. Your average 4 handicapper still gets sweaty palms in his monthly medal.

Put 50 4 caps up against 50 LPGA pros and I reckon it'd be 45-5 in favour of the LPGA. Make them play best of 10 matches and it would be 50 to the LPGA.

I think this is a very underrated aspect. Even if Steph had nerves, he has the experience/ability to focus on the biggest of stages. That had to help him out. It was a very impressive performance.

Exactly, and this is the aspect of the game, i.e., the mental game, that the vast majority of Ams, roughly 98%, cannot understand because it is a part of the game that they have little if any successful experience with.

THE most critical aspect of Playing at Plus is not so much one's physical game as it is one's mental game, having the confidence focus and discipline to Play and score when one's swing and/or physical game goes sideways or backwards. Keeping big numbers off of the card and taking only what one's swing and game gives them that day.

People tend to be weary of that which they do not understand and do not have the ability to use effectively.

Nice post?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Put 50 4 caps up against 50 LPGA pros and I reckon it'd be 45-5 in favour of the LPGA.

So...that's s YES to the OP's question?

There are a number of variables such as are they playing the same tees, have they had practise rounds etc is there a crowd etc that would make it more like 48 in the LPGA's favour, but if playing the same course at 6500 yards, I'd expect a couple of 4 handicaps to beat the scores of a few of the ladies - let's remember even pros have bad days. The second part of my post was to state that over 10 rounds, the 4 handicap is beating precisely no-one because the variable of a bad day/good day is taken out of the equation.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Put 50 4 caps up against 50 LPGA pros and I reckon it'd be 45-5 in favour of the LPGA.

So...that's s YES to the OP's question?

There are a number of variables such as are they playing the same tees, have they had practise rounds etc is there a crowd etc that would make it more like 48 in the LPGA's favour, but if playing the same course at 6500 yards, I'd expect a couple of 4 handicaps to beat the scores of a few of the ladies - let's remember even pros have bad days. The second part of my post was to state that over 10 rounds, the 4 handicap is beating precisely no-one because the variable of a bad day/good day is taken out of the equation.

So...that's s YES to the OP's question? Yes ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

In my opinion, yes they can - will they do it on a regular basis, no, and like I say there are many other variables that would come into play. Does this meant that I think a 4 handicap man is as good as or better than an LPGA pro - no, I have seen the women play, and they are pretty amazing - very straight, and have good short games. In the same way that Ams play in the US and British Opens and beat established names, anyone can beat anyone on their day, or if the opponent has a bad day*. It does not mean that a 4 handicapper can hang on the LPGA tour.

*Note that I am assuming the LPGA pro shoots a 76/77 and the 4 hcp shoots 75, not that a 4hcp is dropping a 67 on a Jutanigarn sister....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Curry played like a scratch golfer. Highly unlikely for a low to mid single digit player to shoot back to back 74's in a debut Web.com tour event.

He played like a scratch player in his debut Web.com event. A little nervous and green behind the ears, he took a few extra shots. With more experience he could shave those off, but probably doesn't have the potential go go low enough for a top 10. Most likely to be hanging around in the -1 crowd.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

How is this thing 70 pages and you guys are still talking about the OP still?

Usually when threads get this long the OP was about whether stuffed animal head covers make you look like a dork and its morphed into pepperturbo arguing about which big4 accounting firm has the best auditors while MattTheTaff tries to ask for pictures of feet and MTLJeff is saying that kickers are legitimate members of a football team.

Curry played like a scratch golfer. Highly unlikely for a low to mid single digit player to shoot back to back 74's in a debut Web.com tour event.

He played like a scratch player in his debut Web.com event. A little nervous and green behind the ears, he took a few extra shots. With more experience he could shave those off, but probably doesn't have the potential go go low enough for a top 10. Most likely to be hanging around in the -1 crowd.

That course was rated 74.5, add in tournament pressure, crowds, etc and the real rating was closer to 78. A scratch would have shot 78-82 under those circumstances if they were lucky, Curry played well above his handicap IMO.

Usually when threads get this long the OP was about whether stuffed animal head covers make you look like a dork and its morphed into pepperturbo arguing about which big4 accounting firm has the best auditors while MattTheTaff tries to ask for pictures of feet and MTLJeff is saying that kickers are legitimate members of a football team.

Oh, this thread has been fully jacked. We're not talking about the OP's question anymore. I think it's funny when someone pops in to comment on it though.

lpga beats a 4 handicap easily

Okay, thanks.

That course was rated 74.5, add in tournament pressure, crowds, etc and the real rating was closer to 78. A scratch would have shot 78-82 under those circumstances if they were lucky, Curry played well above his handicap IMO.

Ya, I don't know about that dude. So, an experienced +5 handicap shoots about a -1 or -2 in those conditions then? Wow, those guys scoring-12 must be like +11 index.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

The regular pros would be used to the pressure of tournaments and crowds. I can imagine the kind of pressure Curry was under even with his competitive background. He wouldn't have anywhere near as much confidence in his golf game as he does in his hoop game which would magnify the nerves 10 fold. He was under extreme scrutiny with people betting he wouldn't break 80 so what he did was extremely impressive. Tells me he has the mental game to play pro golf if not the physical game.

The regular pros would be used to the pressure of tournaments and crowds. I can imagine the kind of pressure Curry was under even with his competitive background. He wouldn't have anywhere near as much confidence in his golf game as he does in his hoop game which would magnify the nerves 10 fold. He was under extreme scrutiny with people betting he wouldn't break 80 so what he did was extremely impressive. Tells me he has the mental game to play pro golf if not the physical game.

Oh, he's definitely got the game. It's just highly improbable that we'll ever see him post some serious chalk on a leaderboard.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

So, can Stephen Curry beat an LPGA Tour Pro?

Oh, he's definitely got the game. It's just highly improbable that we'll ever see him post some serious chalk on a leaderboard.

He's got a really good golf swing for an amateur but not for a pro. He has an extremely steep transition which is very rare on any tours. You'll see some slightly steep transitions but nothing like this.

Cant believe this thread has lasted 70+ pages. Just one giant list of people who need ego checks.......

I was a 2 in college and routinely got dusted by our top gal, both of us playing from the tips....

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Oh, this thread has been fully jacked. We're not talking about the OP's question anymore. I think it's funny when someone pops in to comment on it though.

lpga beats a 4 handicap easily

Okay, thanks.

Ya, I don't know about that dude. So, an experienced +5 handicap shoots about a -1 or -2 in those conditions then? Wow, those guys scoring-12 must be like +11 index.

I've done the handicap calculations for professionals on various tours before.

I bet if I did it again those guys shooting -12 would be in the +8 or +9 range.

Actually that would be a great table to have handy on this website.

Winning a PGA tour event = +9 for the tournament

Winning an LPGA tour event = +3 (mens) for the tournament

Winning a state amateur stroke play event = +2 for the tournament

and so on. These would only be approximate, but you could use actual tournament scores and course ratings to compute the numbers. That would be a great reference for folks to look at when these who can beat who or how good do I need to be to make it on XXX tour threads crop up. Any volunteers to build such a table?

and so on. These would only be approximate, but you could use actual tournament scores and course ratings to compute the numbers. That would be a great reference for folks to look at when these who can beat who or how good do I need to be to make it on XXX tour threads crop up. Any volunteers to build such a table?

I just did it real quick for Martin piller since he won at stonebrae. Over his last 20 rounds he has a win, a T21, and then some missed cuts. Even though he wasn't playing well for most of this period until he won he's still a plus 7 over that time frame. The week he won he played to a +9.3.

Cant believe this thread has lasted 70+ pages. Just one giant list of people who need ego checks.......

I was a 2 in college and routinely got dusted by our top gal, both of us playing from the tips....

Maybe so, but that doesn't count. See, you didn't avg 290 off the tee, a superb ball striker who put on oven mitts for chipping and putting. Martin Piller "wasn't playing well" and was a +7? Well, wow.

I just did it real quick for Martin piller since he won at stonebrae. Over his last 20 rounds he has a win, a T21, and then some missed cuts. Even though he wasn't playing well for most of this period until he won he's still a plus 7 over that time frame. The week he won he played to a +9.3.

Feels about right. 4 to 5 under on average each round with a 74.5 rating.

*Note that I am assuming the LPGA pro shoots a 76/77 and the 4 hcp shoots 75, not that a 4hcp is dropping a 67 on a Jutanigarn sister....

I do not recall Playing with a 4~ cap from the backs who ever shot a 75, NOT COMPETITIVELY , either for money or in a Tourney-

Hell, when we let 4~'s Play in the Championship Flight for the Club, most couldn't and didn't break 80 and those that did were between 76-80 and bear in mind that it's scratch so there ain't no strokes given or taken.

That's why they came up with another flight from 2~ through 5~ that uses a cap.

Maybe the 4~'s in Pgh just suck, lmao

Regardless, have a nice week?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I do not recall Playing with a 4~ cap from the backs who ever shot a 75, NOT COMPETITIVELY , either for money or in a Tourney-

Hell, when we let 4~'s Play in the Championship Flight for the Club, most couldn't and didn't break 80 and those that did were between 76-80 and bear in mind that it's scratch so there ain't no strokes given or taken.

Regardless, have a nice week?

RP

They're out there Richard. I hate to use myself as an example, but I'm going to.

I was exactly a 4.0 for our club championship last weekend. And yes, I completely realize there is a world,of difference between a CC and a real tournament.

We played the first day from the member tees (6,500 yards, 3,800' of elevation) and with your own group. So a "comfortable" round. So yes, discount that one.

Second day though you are paired by where you stand, and we move to the back tees (7,080 yards, 73.5 rating). I'm a four and shot 73. Yes, again I realize it's my home course and not a "real" tournament, but once in awhile a four can produce a respectable round.

Regardless, have a nice week

RP

They're out there Richard. I hate to use myself as an example, but I'm going to.

I was exactly a 4.0 for our club championship last weekend. And yes, I completely realize there is a world,of difference between a CC and a real tournament.

We played the first day from the member tees (6,500 yards, 3,800' of elevation) and with your own group. So a "comfortable" round. So yes, discount that one.

Second day though you are paired by where you stand, and we move to the back tees (7,080 yards, 73.5 rating). I'm a four and shot 73. Yes, again I realize it's my home course and not a "real" tournament, but once in awhile a four can produce a respectable round.

To add a couple of points - I am assuming that the 4 is playing the same tees as the LPGA pros, not the tips. If they are playing the tips (and the women are playing a more usual 6,500 yarder) then I make it 49-1 in the LPGA's favour over one round. For every 50 4's, there is probably at least one Deadsolid, and a few of the ladies are going to have bad rounds.

Richard - to your example, you are taking a very small sample, hence I expanded it to say that in a 50 vs 50 situation, a couple of 4's are going to get hot and put in 73's. I don't doubt that a 4 playing the tips vs 3 plus's is going to get waxed pretty much every time.

Regardless, have a nice week��

RP

To add a couple of points - I am assuming that the 4 is playing the same tees as the LPGA pros, not the tips. If they are playing the tips (and the women are playing a more usual 6,500 yarder) then I make it 49-1 in the LPGA's favour over one round. For every 50 4's, there is probably at least one Deadsolid, and a few of the ladies are going to have bad rounds.

Richard - to your example, you are taking a very small sample, hence I expanded it to say that in a 50 vs 50 situation, a couple of 4's are going to get hot and put in 73's. I don't doubt that a 4 playing the tips vs 3 plus's is going to get waxed pretty much every time.

Bingo,

With all due respect this topic was beaten to death a month or more ago. As you can see it was started 8 YEARS ago and was re-awoken some months ago.

Tees, yardage, guy being longer, girl being tournament tested, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. :russian_roulette:

I doubt there's anything you can add that hasn't been pointed out before.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Maybe so, but that doesn't count. See, you didn't avg 290 off the tee, a superb ball striker who put on oven mitts for chipping and putting. Martin Piller "wasn't playing well" and was a +7? Well, wow.

Doesnt count?

I was better than a 4 and lost quite often to a non LPGA gal.

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Vanity 2.

Not really, I played for a small NAIA school. Our top gal routinely shot in the 60's

Seemore mFGP2 

Haven't really checked back in the prior pages, but has anyone discussed the length differential? Most male 4 handicappers average about 290 off the tee, and the lady golfers really only shoot such good scores because they're so good with their hybrids. Well that and the fact that their courses are total rinky-dink setups. I think they set up Trump National as basically a pitch 'n' putt last weekend. I just think before we really move away from this thread that these concepts should be explored a little more fully.

Most 4 hdcp's avg 290 off the tee? And you know this how? The avg distance on the PGA Tour is near that number.

This reeks of male ego and nothing more.