Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

Late to the party here read a few of the posts. Not sure the difference between tournament golf and the 4 hdcp playing his friends on sunday for $20 is touched on enough ? And a 4 hdcp having a perfect day shooting 71 vs a lpga pro shooting 71 does not even begin to approach reality. These girls can flat out play at a level most cant comprehend. Our male egos get in the way of being objective. Most 4 hdcps would throw up on themselves dealing with 3 days of stress in front of hundreds of people-never mind 1 day. Hogan even said most are not cut out for tournament golf. Give credit where credit is due-your talking about 100 of the best golfers in the world. They would absolutely clean the best 4 hdcprs clocks under tournament settings with big $$$ on the line. Even more-your livelihood at stake.

Except that wasn't part of the criteria of the original question. Tournaments, crowds, big bucks, etc were never mentioned. I realize I'm playing semantics here because the lack of parameters is worse than specifics (much like the scratch at Augusta thread). Actually, a three day tournament would give the four a much better chance of beating an LPGA'er because he's then playing against the entire field, and only needs one of them to have a really bad day while he plays a little better than normal, and then there it is, that 76 for the four and a 77 for the gal. And a four has beaten an LPGA'er!

The reality is, no one in this thread has said anything derogatory about the gals. It's been pretty unanimous praise and admirement for their abilities. It's a thread that really needed to have more precise conditons set. But that's the great thing about WRX, every thread takes off on its own direction.

I suppose the 4 will be unlikely to beat her head to head unless they play each other 50 times and he flukes one match. The pressure playing someone that keeps hitting fairways and greens/getting up and down all day will be too much. The biggest difference will be the soundness of her game day to day versus his. A long hitting 4 male will likely hit better best shots. Longer drives, softer landing mid/long irons but won't be able to hit them often enough unless all the stars align one day. That is the fluke round we all have occasionally.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Shank

Its funny how you start your post by stating I did not get the criteria of the question correct yet you use same criteria to give your opinion.

I guess I did. And I deserved to get called out on it. My apologies Golfnut.

While letting the apology stand, after rereading the post and my reply, my opinion was in reply to just your post and the specific criteria (tournament setting) that you used. Not a general reply to the premise of the thread, which I've had more than enough of already.

Late to the party here read a few of the posts. Not sure the difference between tournament golf and the 4 hdcp playing his friends on sunday for $20 is touched on enough ?

Touched on enough??

Bro, I’ve beat these guys over thee head with this in almost every single post to the point that Richard, GolferX & Superman(mod) are gonna ban my simple minded arse if I bring it up one more time ?

Since you’re just jumping in and this is the party that never ends, please drop back in every 4-6 weeks, repeat your post, bid your adieus, and come back in 4-6?

Not only is this the thread that just won’t die, it is widely noted and quoted across the board so it impact is not to be underestimated~

The very Best to Ya?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

What about a four who plays to that four in those sh!ts & giggle rounds but plays closer to say scratch in tournament. Not necessarily a bagger, but rather one who is a little more dialed in or focused (or however you want to term it) in tournament or higher pressure play. They do exist you know.

A lot more casual rounds are going to keep those fewer tourney rounds from lowering the cap too dramatically.

The only way he’s beating her is if he goes all Tanya Harding on her in the locker room. $100 says her practice rounds are still better than his best round.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Seriously, though. I think your average LPGA is about the same as a +1 male handicap? Championship flight cutoffs are usually below 4 or 5, and your typical 4 is likely to play +1s or better in many club tournaments. So, it's not really that much of a mismatch.

I really should have read all 70+ pages of this thread before sticking my nose into this topic.

In July 2009, the answer to this was no.

Now, in November of 2017, despite all the magical abilities of 4 handicaps that have been uncovered over the past 8 years, 73 pages, and over 2000 posts, the answer is still...

No.

Those ladies are really good!

This is such a "no brainer". A 4 hndcp is still a hacker. A better than average hacker but still a hacker. He has no chance of beating a LPGA pro from 5500 yards or 7000 yards. Be realistic, a 4 handicap might not break 80 fifty percent of his rounds. He really isn't sure where his ball is going.

Are the LPGA courses setup that much harder than the typical course a 4HC would play that they'd be lucky to break 80 half the time? I'd think that a 4HC should be able to average something like 77 on a relatively challenging course?

This is such a "no brainer". A 4 hndcp is still a hacker. A better than average hacker but still a hacker. He has no chance of beating a LPGA pro from 5500 yards or 7000 yards. Be realistic, a 4 handicap might not break 80 fifty percent of his rounds. He really isn't sure where his ball is going.

Are the LPGA courses setup that much harder than the typical course a 4HC would play that they'd be lucky to break 80 half the time? I'd think that a 4HC should be able to average something like 77 on a relatively challenging course?

My index is a 6 and about half of my scores are 80 or lower. A 4 should break 80 a few more times than me. Also 4 handicapper could cover a wide range of ability levels despite the best efforts of the system. There are 4 handicappers who could really be closer to a 0 and 4 handicappers who could really be closer to a 12. The LPGA plays near me every year and every year I have a 4-some in the 2-day pro-am. In my immediate area the course the LPGA plays on is not even close to the hardest course in the area. Not even remotely close. Its actually a really easy course unless the wind is howling.

Be realistic ?

How's this for realistic ? Get back to us when you've read the entire thread. :wave:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

A new topic: How badly would a grumpy, pissed off LPGA player venting her frustration beat a 4 hdcp club player?

Pretty badly.

I think a scratch could have a good chance to beat the LPGA some of the time. Those ladies play really well.

I agree that a true men’s traveling scratch could be competitive with most LPGA players outside maybe top 30. Maybe slightly better but scratch is probably a good place where it could be competitive.

I'm a 4, and I watch LPGA from time to time, and I think I could win maybe 1/25. Every now and then I'll shoot par on a difficult course. Thing is, she would have to shoot over par on that same day. And she could very well go 8-under and run me off the course on my best day.

I'd be interested in if you feel the same way about a male scratch / +1. Thanks.

I'm a 4, and I watch LPGA from time to time, and I think I could win maybe 1/25. Every now and then I'll shoot par on a difficult course. Thing is, she would have to shoot over par on that same day. And she could very well go 8-under and run me off the course on my best day.

I finished the season with an index of 0.9. I’ve had the opportunity to watch a couple of LPGA events in person. Against any player who can routinely make the cut I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell. These gals are as accurate with a hybrid as I am with a PW. They are better putters than I am. And they have better short games. Could lightening strike and I happen to have my best day on a day when they’re off? I suppose so, but I sure wouldn’t put any money on it. So if the question is, could a 4 hcp ever beat an LPGA pro if they played 10,000 matches, then I guess it might happen. If the question is, would a 4 hcp. have any reasonable chance to beat an LPGA pro, than the answer is no. No way, no how.