We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

2019 Equipment Contract Changes

Comments

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997  289WRX Points: 242Members Posts: 289
    Justin Thomas to topflight. GET IN THE BUNKER
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DRRicksDRRicks  2444WRX Points: 20Banned Posts: 2,444
    KRAMER1997 wrote:

Quality content.
    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2289WRX Points: 611Members Posts: 2,289
    On a serious note, from the same reliable source, I have been told the second “big name” that is already a done deal for Honma is Paul Casey and they are trying to secure Molinari as well.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • andrieddleandrieddle  1813WRX Points: 93Members Posts: 1,813

On a serious note, from the same reliable source, I have been told the second “big name” that is already a done deal for Honma is Paul Casey and they are trying to secure Molinari as well.

I sure hope that is true, we need more color on tours....
    Posted:
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S[/font]
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of Hockey 7664WRX Points: 253ClubWRX Posts: 7,664

Wow! That would be some serious gamers. Unfortunately they are all starting to get a little older.
    Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • conorgolf22conorgolf22 Millstadt,IL 594WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 594
    DRRicks wrote:

KRAMER1997 wrote:

Quality content.

New member. Gotta rack up those “posts”
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: Callaway Rogue 13.5* Aldila Rogue Elite Blue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fairway: Ping G400 17* Aldila 2KXV Orange[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Aldila Tour Green[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driving Iron: PXG 0311X 4 iron Steelfiber i95[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: New Level 902 Forged 5-PW KBS TGI 80[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: Vokey SM6 52* New Level M-Type 58* and 62*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron X7M[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball:Vice Pro Plus/font]

Advertisement
  • lc1342lc1342  288WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 288
    Kirk with Mizuno. Stroud with Callaway (hole in one today).
    Posted:
  • fly787fly787 Las Vegas, Nevada and Europe 145WRX Points: 82Members Posts: 145
    3whacker wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Who cares these days? The win on Sunday, sell on Monday mantra is long gone. With modern fitting it is unlikely any sensible player will buy something because player X uses it. Same with clothes. Some gear is in the shops before it is seen on tour. What I would like to see is people say no to Nike. They are swamping the tour with some hideous apparel.

This just isn't true. Marketing teams in every industry have an amazing number of up to date metrics at their disposal. They correlate marketing and sponsorship budgets to those metrics. If the returns weren't there, the endorsement contracts and advertising campaigns wouldn't be either. To the completely opposite point that I just made, Mizuno did virtually no marketing at all and the sales of the JPX Tour went beyond their wildest dreams after a few players, that weren't contractually obligated to do so, bagged them on the PGA tour. The Majors didn't hurt one bit. I think your viewpoint is skewed by a sample of people at WRX that are far more in-tune with the equipment industry and what's going on then the average consumer.

I play with both younger and older players at my club on a regular basis and we talk clubs and equipment all the time. Never once have I heard anyone say that they bought this club or that club because some pro was hitting it. Not one single time.

Then how do you explain TW..he singlehandedly launched and carried Nike golf to the point they went from a soft goods/show equipment player to a bonafide manufacturer...IMO I dont think we will see another player influence golfers buying choices the way TW did...and that not necessarily a good thing...Now that Nike is out of the hard goods business, what happened to all those that were loyal to that brand?

Nike lost hundreds of millions on the golf hardware business....the money is in selling 10 dollar shirts for 90... and very few complaints/returns. Tiger sold very few clubs in my opinion.....
    Posted:
    TM 2016 M2 9.5 757x
    TM 2016 M2 16.5 757x
    TM  P790 Recoil Shafts
    Honma  GW
    Callaway PM 56.13 SW
    Odessey Tank X7 with Flat Cat 
  • lc1342lc1342  288WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 288
    Confirmed in the Justin Rose thread. Rose to use Honma irons, TM woods and ball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-no-1-justin-rose-135500123.html
    Posted:
  • IVMIVM  454WRX Points: 43Members Posts: 454
    I do not consider Paul Casey a great catch for Honma . One win in how many years ?

Now Molinari would be a great catch but I cannot see him leaving Nike and the freedom of playing whatever club he wants .
    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5624WRX Points: 1,084Members Posts: 5,624
    GC70 wrote:

Wow! That would be some serious gamers. Unfortunately they are all starting to get a little older.

Older would sum up the demographic that Homna seem to be going for to be fair. Not many 20 years old's will be able to afford the price Honma seem to be charging.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3325WRX Points: 299Members Posts: 3,325
    A real coup for Honma. TM must be needing to shed players to keep Rory's contract going.
    Posted:
  • StlEERStlEER  177WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 177
    elwhippy wrote:

A real coup for Honma. TM must be needing to shed players to keep Rory's contract going.

Justin Rose isn’t moving the needle for iron sales. Him playing Honma will have marginally more impact on iron sales than if I switched.

Posted:
    StlEER wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Justin Rose isn't moving the needle for iron sales. Him playing Honma will have marginally more impact on iron sales than if I switched.

You must be world number two to Rose's world number one then are you?
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2289WRX Points: 611Members Posts: 2,289
    CHIII is shown with a TS2 fairway wood and Titleist hat at the Mayakoba according to Getty.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2095WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 2,095
    MattyO1984 wrote:

GC70 wrote:

Older would sum up the demographic that Homna seem to be going for to be fair. Not many 20 years old's will be able to afford the price Honma seem to be charging.

Here in the US, the Tour World series is very competitively priced with the rest of the OEMs.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 2,594
    StlEER wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Justin Rose isn't moving the needle for iron sales. Him playing Honma will have marginally more impact on iron sales than if I switched.
    LOLOL......True!.......
    Posted:
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 2,594
    MattyO1984 wrote:

StlEER wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

You must be world number two to Rose's world number one then are you?
    Well, I didn't buy Nike because Tiger was playing them, I didn't buy Nike because I knew Nike wasn't making Tiger's clubs.....It's a cat/mouse game in club manufacturing......lol
    Posted:
    Going by his Twitter it is certain that Justin Thomas is not changing things up any time soon.

Quote “Any rumor of me ever changing can be squashed. I always will use what I think can produce my golf. And for me, that’s Titleist”
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • thekangathekanga  145WRX Points: 48Members Posts: 145
    Almost time to find out who was right and wrong.
    Posted:
  • kkennedykkennedy  165WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 165
    Kevin Na to Callaway according to his IG
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5*
    Callaway Rogue 15*
    Callaway XR Pro 20*
    Titleist 718 AP2
    Cleveland RTX 4 52 / 56 / 60
    Rotation of: Scotty Cameron Concept CX-02  / Evnroll 1TS / Odyssey Jailbird CH 

Advertisement
    Not much of a change and it might not actually be anything but going by his Instagram, Justin Thomas was practicing in Hawaii wearing RLX as opposed to Polo. More of a sideways move than a move but something potentially.
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • bamagatorbamagator  68WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 68
    Read all of this thread and yall are cracking me up. Do any of you REALLY buy gear based on a player? I do think the marketing strategies of OEMs is interesting but as a semi older guy, seeing my old heroes do their changes through the years and the players of my age do the same, it proved to me gear sponsorships mean squat other than driving the price of cool gear up to pay endorsements which I don't want to contribute to. How many old dudes on your course do the "Ricky" look at 45-60? If so, please please post the pics for my laughter...but they have to have the Puma gear AND the Cobra gear.

The thing I like about WRX is how so many members have strong opinions based on their personal experience with gear and results rendered by usage. Kinda supports my statement above.
    Posted:
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18  3245WRX Points: 214Members Posts: 3,245
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Not much of a change and it might not actually be anything but going by his Instagram, Justin Thomas was practicing in Hawaii wearing RLX as opposed to Polo. More of a sideways move than a move but something potentially.

That would be disappointing, I find the Polo line to be a lot classier and mature than the RLX stuff.
    Posted:
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better  5081WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 5,081

MattyO1984 wrote:

That would be disappointing, I find the Polo line to be a lot classier and mature than the RLX stuff.

He might just been practicing in it, lets see on thrusday. He wears pro sl shoe alot at bears club when he practice, use the dryjoy tour in tournaments
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
    LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)
    S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)
    Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17  680WRX Points: 94ClubWRX Posts: 680
    bamagator wrote:

Read all of this thread and yall are cracking me up. Do any of you REALLY buy gear based on a player? I do think the marketing strategies of OEMs is interesting but as a semi older guy, seeing my old heroes do their changes through the years and the players of my age do the same, it proved to me gear sponsorships mean squat other than driving the price of cool gear up to pay endorsements which I don't want to contribute to. How many old dudes on your course do the "Ricky" look at 45-60? If so, please please post the pics for my laughter...but they have to have the Puma gear AND the Cobra gear.

The thing I like about WRX is how so many members have strong opinions based on their personal experience with gear and results rendered by usage. Kinda supports my statement above.

I would say that most of us don’t buy based on who plays what as opposed to just generally being gear heads and finding this interesting. I could literally care less what the new TM drivers do but I enjoy the excitetment about new products so I follow those threads. You don’t have to find it interesting. There are plenty of other topics in which you can participate.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pendodavependodave  88WRX Points: 65Members Posts: 88
    Sometimes what they don't play has more of an impact.

I'm guessing the absence of mizuno drivers on tour has had a big effect on their sales over the years. The narrative that good golfers won't play them is tough to overcome if you're picking 5 from 10 on the rack to test.
    Posted:
  • bamagatorbamagator  68WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 68

bamagator wrote:

I would say that most of us don't buy based on who plays what as opposed to just generally being gear heads and finding this interesting. I could literally care less what the new TM drivers do but I enjoy the excitetment about new products so I follow those threads. You don't have to find it interesting. There are plenty of other topics in which you can participate.

I said I do find it interesting my friend. I get it....gear junkies and fun. Somewhere in the grey middle is the truth I am sure on player influence on sales and what not as they do have impact. Maybe the proper view would be new golfers/average golfers vs the salty seasoned crowd here?
    Posted:
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • DRRicksDRRicks  2444WRX Points: 20Banned Posts: 2,444
    bamagator wrote:

Thanks for clearing all of this up. I’ve been waiting for a new member to come in and “enlighten” all of us around here. 🙄
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Need4spdNeed4spd  1586WRX Points: 192Members Posts: 1,586
    bamagator wrote:

Here we go with this again. Marketing and advertising is pointless, got it.
    Posted:
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70-S  
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-95 S  
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Odyssey O-Works #2
    TaylorMade TP5X 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.