Golf is Not a Team Sport

NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
Collecting individuals under a "team" name doesn't make it a team sport.

Team sports = football, lacrosse, basketball, cricket, volleyball etc.

Individual sports = tennis, golf, fencing, judo etc.

Comments

• FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
    So doubles in tennis is individual?
  • challengerschallengers Members Posts: 139
    OP absolutely right. There is zero 'team' aspect. It's all individual, even in comps like the Ryder Cup.

Hate it when people talk about 'team dynamics', 'playing as a team', etc with regards to Ryder Cup - it doesn't make any sense.

Doubles in tennis is one of the hardest to watch sports out there, but that aside, tennis doubles do have a 'team' aspect - moving together and synchronising across the court.
  • fawleyfawley Members Posts: 351 ✭✭
    You don’t think four balls or, especially, foursomes are team events?
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,203 ✭✭
    The OP is almost absolutely right, except for alternate shot. Which is why I think foursomes is great in the Ryder Cup.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,274 ✭✭
    What about bowling?
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    In doubles tennis both players are moving in a coordinated way. While they may alternate service, they are both active during the volley. Do we criticize Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc. because they aren't doubles winners? Nah. Doubles are largely seen by the general public as a lesser sport for players who don't make it in singles.

Bowling? Another individual sport...LOL.
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    It the stymie were still in effect, fourballs would make an interesting team sport since the player lying 5 on the hole could stymie the opponent who is putting for 3, and thereby keep his partner who is putting for 4 in the hole.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,471 ✭✭
    And the OP said, " Golf is not a team sport." And I was so pleased to be informed of this, that I ran 20 red lights in his honor.

Thank you OP. Thank you GolfWRX
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 928 ✭✭
    Think it's time for a nap op.
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    Team sport or not the main reasons Americans don’t care about the Ryder Cup is:

1. As kids growing up they probably never heard of it.

2. Nobody really wants to watch golf in late September, especially if it’s happening on the other side of the planet.

3. And probably the biggest problem, even among golfers, nobody understands the scoring and whats at stake. And the media doesn’t seem to care to create easy to folllow scoring charts.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,401 ClubWRX
    Whoa, must have just woke up from a 400 year nap, OP?
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Members Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    I've never been able to get into any of the team events.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 557 ✭✭
    I have always thought the same thing. Definitely not a team sport. I've always thought the Ryder cup was pretty boring to watch personally. I know it's a really big deal to a lot of the competitiors. They have talked about never being so nervous before and the emotion in the matches gets very intense. I would just rather watch a stroke play tournament. I don't care if America or Europe wins really.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,661 ✭✭
    If you are on a team, it's a team sport.
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    Thanks for your insight, Tiger.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 218

2. Nobody really wants to watch golf in late September, especially if it’s happening on the other side of the planet.

3. And probably the biggest problem, even among golfers, nobody understands the scoring and whats at stake. And the media doesn’t seem to care to create easy to folllow scoring charts.

Pretty broad generalization, don’t you think??
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Bobby Grace 18 Blade putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1

Could be, but it’s not really a mystery. You want hard data and until you get it you feel justified with continuing the same ole American failure every two years. Yet you pretend it’s important and Americans should climb aboard and show their pride, for the good of country.... Get a grip. This is nothing but the same ole high society bs and it will never be any different than that stupid America’s Cup Sail Racing.
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,904 ✭✭
    Thread got relegated from Tour Talk to General Golf forum. Probably not a real thread!
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 218

Could be, but it’s not really a mystery. You want hard data and until you get it you feel justified with continuing the same ole American failure every two years. Yet you pretend it’s important and Americans should climb aboard and show their pride, for the good of country.... Get a grip. This is nothing but the same ole high society bs and it will never be any different than that stupid America’s Cup Sail Racing.

Where, in my post, did I say or suggest anything you just posted. “High society BS”!! You’re kidding right? I think you’re the one who needs to get a grip.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Bobby Grace 18 Blade putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,039 ✭✭
    Ever notice how threads like this are always started when Europe wins

The Ryder Cup.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • FIRs&GIRs&3-PuttsFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts Members Posts: 470 ✭✭
    “We don’t win so it doesn’t matter”

Where, in my post, did I say or suggest anything you just posted. “High society BS”!! You’re kidding right? I think you’re the one who needs to get a grip.

Well I’ve shared my views. What do you believe to be the reasons USA can’t win?
  • Invisible-zInvisible-z Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Well golf is an individual sport.

You can practice and play the game on your own without relying on any one else (ie no support crew needed neither)

Well golf is an individual sport.

You can practice and play the game on your own without relying on any one else (ie no support crew needed neither)
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    When your playing in the RC its a team sport, the Americans haven't figured that out yet because it's all about me.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,014 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

I whole heartily disagree. Now, if your view of what golf is, is the PGA tour, then fair enough. But a large amount of golf played, whether its high school, college, club events there are teams or partners. When I play with my budddies we often play low ball, low total against each other. While the you against the world mentality is standard thinking on the PGA tour, it should be fun to step away and play with a team. The Euros are in the USA’s head.

....I blame Seve.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    edited Sep 30, 2018 #27
    Naptime wrote:

Sour grapes, already? Sacré bleu!
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭
    Sometimes it is. I played in an outing about a month ago. 18th hole one of my playing partners kills a drive down the middle. I hit a 3 hybrid about 210 to get us on in 2. My cousin hits the eagle putt and we win the outing. The fourth guy also had an important role, he bought the celebratory beers. So sometimes a team sport but mostly no.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,661 ✭✭
    I don't want to compare interclub to the Ryder Cup, but our team plays against another team. My partner is trying to play his best to pick me up, and I try to play my best to pick him up. We try to win our match to help the team win. I really don't know how to define "team sport" any better.
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Op you are so right, maybe the Ryder cup should just be banned because the US lost again??
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,657 ✭✭
    College golf is team golf ... and it's awesome
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)