We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Driver vs Driver 2

Comments

• erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4100WRX Points: 217Members Posts: 4,100
    Nard_S wrote:

Kind of ironic that CEO is obsessed with visible tech when the hottest trend in irons is zero visible tech.

Would have been funny to see one of the contestants just enter a complete basic driver head and spin it as hollow body technology.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3598WRX Points: 413Members Posts: 3,598
    erock9174 wrote:

Nard_S wrote:

Kind of ironic that CEO is obsessed with visible tech when the hottest trend in irons is zero visible tech.

Would have been funny to see one of the contestants just enter a complete basic driver head and spin it as hollow body technology.

How about a 905R without the bore through shaft. Just a regular hosel? Brand it with the W/S logo and let them rip it apart for lack of tech?
    Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • jojjoj  134WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 134
    Tim Clarke makes me understand why Wilson is Wilson.
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10708WRX Points: 579Members Posts: 10,708
    joj wrote:

Tim Clarke makes me understand why Wilson is Wilson.

Good point. I like the DVD concept, but beyond that what is he bringing to the table?
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 AL 879WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 879

I have 2 main problems with the show:

1) The designers aren't taken seriously. They are treated as being "lucky to be here". If you truly appreciate these designers and think they'll produce a viable product, treat them like professionals and not contest winners.

2) Along those lines, the R&D process is what's actually interesting about the show. Why not take 4 - 6 designs with the most promise - combination of innovation, performance, marketability - and let them all go all the way through the process, ending with 4 drivers. Maybe put an in-house Wilson design in the mix as a benchmark. One of them will rise above the rest and be the winner. But by only actually comparing 2 "finished" drivers in a finale, Wilson is doing themselves a disservice.

I’ve thought the EXACT SAME THING. The show seems like a cheesy reality show and isn’t interesting or compelling. It would be much better if they’d pick 2-3 designers on the first show and then spend the rest of the time showing those guys working with the Wilson team in the design, R&D and testing process.
    Posted:
    Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow HC
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt  3888WRX Points: 538Members Posts: 3,888
    The contestants that didn't team up really screwed the pooch. Maybe they don't deal in a corporate environment as much as I have in my life, but that was a clear signal that if you didn't team up you were gone. Whether you like it or not, that was clear corporate speak and that's what exactly happened.

I do agree with the maker with the stiffening ring...any of the changes they requested he could have done himself. He just needed a little direction. But they had their mind made up...either team up or go home.

RH
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • the bishopthe bishop  3597WRX Points: 499Members Posts: 3,597
    RichieHunt wrote:

The contestants that didn't team up really screwed the pooch. Maybe they don't deal in a corporate environment as much as I have in my life, but that was a clear signal that if you didn't team up you were gone. Whether you like it or not, that was clear corporate speak and that's what exactly happened.

I do agree with the maker with the stiffening ring...any of the changes they requested he could have done himself. He just needed a little direction. But they had their mind made up...either team up or go home.

RH

Yeah they didn't do the math right. Even if they had all agreed to team up a person's chances of staying on the show increased substantially over going it alone.
    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC  2514WRX Points: 262ClubWRX Posts: 2,514
    RichieHunt wrote:

RH

Absolutely correct. It was basically a test of who can work with people and who would dig in on their ideas. If a designer was not open to teaming up, the judges took it as a bad sign. May or may not be valid, but the teaming up was not really a suggestion, it was a condition of staying in the game.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • the bishopthe bishop  3597WRX Points: 499Members Posts: 3,597
    03trdblack wrote:

mukster wrote:

My comments:

4) I can see all the Wilson PGA staff players desperately trying to negotiate a new club deal where they don't have to play Wilson drivers image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

There's not a single staffer that's required to play a Wilson driver and none of them do with the exception of the D300 played by Troy Merritt. Streelman played the Triton for maybe one event just to say he did but that's about it.

I saw Streelman play the Triton at the Farmer's Insurance Open after they released that club. Honestly in person as a spectator that club didn't sound that bad. But I've never hit one and I know the sound when you hit is different than the sound when you watch someone hit. Anyway I think he also had the F5 in play for a short while after those were released a couple of years ago. Brendan Steele also had their new - not yet released - D7 3W in play at the Safeway.
    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3334WRX Points: 302ClubWRX Posts: 3,334
    just watched the second episode.... Lots of fluff and repeating of information. It took almost 30 minutes before we got to the wilson labs scene. We then rehashed alot of info about each designer again. All together, I think there was only about 15 minutes of actual meat in this episode (feedback from the consultants).

Why does Tim Swiss (widow maker designer) get so much air time? He gets more face time than any other contestant and its not even close.

final thought - wilson seems to focus too much on the visual tech. It's as if they want to make a driver that looks like its good instead of making one that is actually good. Personally, I think the golfwrx community prefers the sleeper and not the gawdy in your face tech designs.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 evenflow white
    Titleist TS2 15* evenflow white 
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid evenflow white
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw kbs tour
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • zebra2955zebra2955  639WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 639
    BigHook25 wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

Given the fact that the first show produced a total flop, why on earth would it get another go? I didn't make it through an entire episode of the first one unless I needed a nap. Ugh....

The golf channel has to fill space during what is essentially the off-season for golf.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Posted:

Callaway Rogue/Epic depending on my mood

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

Kirkland K3 and TP5

Advertisement
  • zebra2955zebra2955  639WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 639
    Does anyone actually watch this show thinking they are really looking to buy whatever driver that wins ?
    Posted:

Callaway Rogue/Epic depending on my mood

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

Kirkland K3 and TP5

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3334WRX Points: 302ClubWRX Posts: 3,334
    zebra2955 wrote:

Does anyone actually watch this show thinking they are really looking to buy whatever driver that wins ?

😂 **** no. No offense, but Wilson isn’t on my radar for purchases.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 evenflow white
    Titleist TS2 15* evenflow white 
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid evenflow white
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw kbs tour
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10708WRX Points: 579Members Posts: 10,708
    zebra2955 wrote:

Uh yeah, that’s kinda how TV marketing works
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • JDaxJDax  84WRX Points: 2Members Posts: 84
    Which one do y’all think is the favorite to win?

Widow Maker was my pick, but it was out quick...
    Posted:
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524  4404WRX Points: 315ClubWRX Posts: 4,404
    bogeypro wrote:

zebra2955 wrote:

�� **** no. No offense, but Wilson isn't on my radar for purchases.

I would give Wilson a chance if they built something less gaudy and awful sounding. Srixon was never really on a lot of people's radars but they started making some great performing and looking gear. Now they are hanging with the big boys, especially on the new 785 driver release. I honestly think that is one of the best looking drivers of recent designs and it does perform. It's fairly simple and doesn't have a lot of "flare", so it can be done. Wilson, for some reason, thinks they need to take a page from the "Al Czervik" club playbook. Clark does make Wilson look bad on this one IMO. Does he even play golf?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10* Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
    Ping G400 14.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
    Titleist 915h 21*   Aldila Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB X100 AMT SS1x
    Titleist SM5 50.12, SM6 58.12
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"
    Ping Hoofer Lite 
    Z-Star XV/Bridgestone BXS

Advertisement
  • kdog25kdog25  1732WRX Points: 304Members Posts: 1,732
    GWfool wrote:

rymail00 wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

BigHook25 wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

Given the fact that the first show produced a total flop, why on earth would it get another go? I didn't make it through an entire episode of the first one unless I needed a nap. Ugh....

The golf channel has to fill space during what is essentially the off-season for golf.

I'd rather bring Big Break back.... I do like Shiels on TV... he seems natural. May wind up with his own spot...

+10000

Big Break was by far the best show they've had. Heck even a couple of them actually made a splash on the PGA tour, Tommy 2 Gloves, and Tony Finau.

Don't forget Wesley Bryant

Matt Every
    Posted:
  • Walkerdb7Walkerdb7  400WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 400
    Hi All, My name is Jon and I work for EOS 3D printing. My company supported this week's episode of the show. Ti 3D printing was used to build the prototypes used for show.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Here's an article about the upcoming episdoe:

[url="http://Hi All, My name is Jon and I work for EOS 3D printing. My company supported this week"]https://golfweek.com...-in-drivers-ed/[/url]
    Posted:
    G400 SFT - Kuro Kage S
    Tour Exotics XG7 3W Fuel Tour
    Tour Exotics XG7 Hybrid Fuel Tour
    4i - G Crossover
    5-PW Ping G Nippon S NS 105
    Cameron Select GoLo Heavy
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown  1921WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 1,921
    Man, I'm glad the engineers at Ping didn't submit the G400 Max or the engineers at Titleist didn't submit the new TS drivers. They wouldn't have made it past the first episode. They should rename the show Gimmick Versus Gimmick.
    Posted:
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie  927WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 927
    The G400 series is loaded with gimmicks, it just gets a pass because it is the best driver most of us have ever hit.
    Posted:
  • JDaxJDax  84WRX Points: 2Members Posts: 84
    Man, I'm glad the engineers at Ping didn't submit the G400 Max or the engineers at Titleist didn't submit the new TS drivers. They wouldn't have made it past the first episode. They should rename the show Gimmick Versus Gimmick.

All new drivers that have new tech, are going to be viewed as gimmicky at first...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr  2707WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 2,707
    Funny hearing Tim Clark talk about these drivers having to stand up to 127mph tour swings. Like anyone on tour is going to bag one. image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    Posted:
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold  4130WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 4,130
    Glad the trackman gave actual numers this time. I remember last year when they went to some charity golf tournament and the amateurs were hitting it like 340.
    Posted:
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • CKalmaCKalma  462WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 462
    Yepyukon wrote:

Glad the trackman gave actual numers this time. I remember last year when they went to some charity golf tournament and the amateurs were hitting it like 340.

They were also wildly inconsistent numbers. I know only 2 or 3 shots with a driver and shaft they're all unfamiliar with, but with a repetitive swing you would think the numbers would be closer. I think it was Barnes who had them spinning 2500-4000+rpms.
    Posted:
    TM M5 9* Aldila Rogue White 70TX 
    TM M3 15* Aldila Tour Blue 95TX
    TM P790 3, 2014 MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG T.I. X100
    TM MG 52* 56* Hi-Toe 60* T.I. Onyx S400
    TM TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 All Black
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2095WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 2,095
    The numbers from Trackman were cool to see.

The Roswell's numbers were better than most of the remainders, I think
    Posted:
  • ALIFALIF Arizona 2667WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 2,667
    CKalma wrote:

Yepyukon wrote:

They were also wildly inconsistent numbers. I know only 2 or 3 shots with a driver and shaft they're all unfamiliar with, but with a repetitive swing you would think the numbers would be closer. I think it was Barnes who had them spinning 2500-4000+rpms.

Barnes isn’t the best driver on tour for sure.
    Posted:
    $$$$

Advertisement
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3286WRX Points: 371Members Posts: 3,286
    Gotta feel for the Wilson pros. Some of the drivers are just straight junk.
    Posted:
    TC Callaway Epic SZ 440 11.4° w/ Diamana BF 60TX
    '16 TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F6 Baffler 19° w/ Nippon NS Pro 950FW S-Flex Tipped 1"
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX4 Tour Raw 53°/58° DG S400 Tour Issue
    Toulon Las Vegas H7 SL

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2097WRX Points: 597Members Posts: 2,097
    Yepyukon wrote:

Iirc they were st Tahoe which is at elevation and several of the guys they used do hit the ball pretty far...not to mention trackman can be adjusted to inflate numbers and while that may juice some they are still number spot out by the system
    Posted:
  • Double GeeDouble Gee  1081WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 1,081

Gotta feel for the Wilson pros. Some of the drivers are just straight junk.

Possibly, but their V6 irons are one of the best made.

But I guess because it's isn't badged with TaylorMade or Callaway, then not many would even try them.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 1978WRX Points: 231ClubWRX Posts: 1,978
    chiva wrote:

CKalma wrote:

Yepyukon wrote:

Barnes isn’t the best driver on tour for sure.

Is he even on tour anymore? Thought he was down to the web.com
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.