AT&T Pebble Beach

Comments

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭
    "The coastal holes are obviously breathtaking but many of the inland holes are no different than your average muni." Ain't that the truth.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,685 ✭✭

****... there is a lot of negativity on this thread.

Well, truth be told, while I love the course I can no longer tolerate:

1) Bill Murray, Chris Berman, George Lopez, Ray Romano et al.

2) Gary McCord

3) A bunch of corporate gasbags smoozing and congratulating each other, and TV coverage of same

4) Endless shots of golden retrievers fetching driftwood

5) Amateurs who think they are good and we are tuning in to watch them.

I'll see the course again in June, so I may not watch this event.
  • DrivingChampDrivingChamp Members Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Spieth will win this week
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,994 ✭✭
    I really wanna see ho sung choi do well
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,744 ✭✭
    This is my favorite golf week of the year that isn't The Masters or the Opens.

I like watching the amateurs to see someone at my skill level try to play (perhaps) the best course in the world.

The celebrities aren't what they once were at this event, but celebrities aren't what they once were in general.

Looks like we've already had a little "Crosby weather" already, hopefully they can get all 72 holes in.

And now here's Bing...

http://youtu.be/2Wj4Ah-xsMM

The AT&T projects to have 48 OWGR points for the first place winner. That is down from 54 last year.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • aarbroaarbro Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Rangeballz wrote:

2) Gary McCord

3) A bunch of corporate gasbags smoozing and congratulating each other, and TV coverage of same

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/02/01/2019-att-pebble-beach-pro-am-celebrities-in-the-field-112253/

I couldn't see Berman on this list - but then again, the term celebrity would be a little loose with him. Hopefully he's called time on his golf career.
  • labloverlablover Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Pebble is a very special place for me. My husband and I got married behind the 18th green, right underneath where the grandstands are for the tournament every year. We always joke about that, can't wait for this week. Long rounds, and probably not the best weather this week, but still a great event.
  • oiler45oiler45 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I won't be able to sleep the night before the start of the tourney due to my anticipation to see Gary Mule Deer .... that guy is so funny my side will be sore for weeks ...
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
    ODDS to Win:

Dustin Johnson 5/1

Jason Day 9/1

Tony Finau 18/1

Jordan Spieth 20/1

Tommy Fleetwood 20/1

Matt Kuchar 20/1

Phil Mickelson 25/1

Paul Casey 25/1

Patrick Cantlay 25/1

Adam Scott 25/1

Patrick Reed 30/1

Branden Grace 30/1

Chez Reavie 30/1

Matthew Fitzpatrick 40/1

Shane Lowry 40/1

Adam Hadwin 40/1
    WWG1 WGA
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,262 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

"The coastal holes are obviously breathtaking but many of the inland holes are no different than your average muni." Ain't that the truth.

Hmmmmm..... that must be the reason why all the magazine raters put it close to the top in the entire world. And Jack Nicklaus names it as his favorite course in the entire world.

Just like your average muni.

Spieth will win this week

image/rockon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rockon:' />
    aarbro wrote:

I couldn't see Berman on this list - but then again, the term celebrity would be a little loose with him. Hopefully he's called time on his golf career.

The term "celebrity" applies to anybody who thinks it applies to them.
  • NaBUru38NaBUru38 Members Posts: 788 ✭✭
    Notable players:
    • Americans: Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, Matt Kuchar, Jordan Spieth, Phil Mickelson, Tony Finau, Patrick Cantlay, Kevin Kisner, Andrew Putnam, Chez Reavie, Brandt Snedeker, Charley Hoffman, Chesson Hadley, Ryan Palmer, Pat Perez, Cameron Champ, Jimmy Walker, Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Hunter Mahan, Davis Love III, Kenny Perry, David Duval.
    • Europeans: Tommy Fleetwood, Paul Casey, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Shane Lowry, Russell Knox, Martin Laird, Graeme McDowell, Stephan Jaeger, Alex Cejka, Sepp Straka, David Lingmerth, Jonas Blixt. Freddie Jacobson.
    • Australians: Jason Day, Adam Scott, Cameron Davis, Matt Jones, Aaron Baddeley, Curtis Luck.
    • South Africans: Branden Grace, Dylan Frittelli, Tyrone van Aswegen, Ernie Els.
    • Canadians: Adam Hadwin, Corey Conners, Benjamin Silverman, Nick Taylor, Adam Svensson, Roger Sloan, Mackenzie Hughes, David Hearn.
    • Koreans: Siwoo Kim, Sungjae Im, Meenwhee Kim, Sunghoon Kang, Hosung Choi, Sangmoon Bae, Kyounghoon Lee.
    • Latin Americans: Sebastián Muñoz, José de Jesús Rodríguez, Julián Etulain, Fabián Gómez, Roberto Díaz.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,777 ✭✭
    I'm going for Branden Grace this week. Plays well in burst, low ball flight and the new caddie bump with Wee Man on the bag means he is your winner.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    Rangeballz wrote:

2) Gary McCord

HEAR, HEAR!!

Don't forget the following:

6. Cigar smoking and the associated "coolness"

7. The relentless advocating of avocado toast

8. Cutaways to semi-pro windsurfing

9. Singular funniness only understood by "them"

10. Naming their children after a favorite food

I will NOT watch this event.
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    I dislike this tournament image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' />
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,442 ✭✭
    Rangeballz wrote:

2) Gary McCord

+1

I love Pebble Beach. I've never played it, but it's an amazing set of courses from a TV perspective. Everything looks beautiful. Unfortunately, for the reasons listed above, the AT&T is unwatchable at times. I pray that one day this tournament is no longer a pro-am.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    I like almost everything about the tournament, with a few exceptions. Bill Murray’s antics are way over and done, Chris Berman (if he still plays) as well. I don’t care if a celeb is bad (Ray Romano) if they’re grinding, trying to play well. It’s when they’re bad and then try to be cute or funny that it gets aggravating to me. But a lot of the celebs (mostly the ex athletes) are ok to watch, and the CEO’s I’m pretty indifferent about.

But I’ll put up with all the bad just to see the overhead shots.

Oh and FWIW, I liked a lot of the inland holes too, I thought they were fun and presented some challenges (be above the hole on #11), but do people really expect them to compare favorably to the coast holes?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 400 ✭✭
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I'm going for Branden Grace this week. Plays well in burst, low ball flight and the new caddie bump with Wee Man on the bag means he is your winner.

Assuming it's bad weather than certainly Grace should have a good shot.

Agree with the sentiment regarding this tournament though. I have no interest at all in watching C list celebrities and CEO duffers on the course.

I'll stick to checking the scores and will probably wait until Sunday to actually tune it.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,304 ✭✭
    I’ve got a real soft spot for this tournament because my older brother used to take me with him to see it back in the 70’s when all the old timey celebrities played it and I was a little kid thrilled that their brother wanted to spend more than five minutes with them. James Garner once said “Get the **** out of my way, kid” to me when he was going from one green to the next tee. Saw Gene Sarazen walking around in his tweed plus fours. We used to walk Cypress Point just because that was the course you couldn’t see any other way.

The cloying coverage has kind of ruined it and watching Gary Mule Deer is not the same as watching a former president bang one of off someone’s head. At least they’ve gotten rid of that Kostis analyzing everyone’s swing on 17 thing. That was like having a root canal.

Weather is going to be brutal. That wind off the ocean when it’s already cold to begin with is just rough.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    Richard Rawlings is rumored to be on the invite list.

2putttom wrote:

Hmmmmm..... that must be the reason why all the magazine raters put it close to the top in the entire world. And Jack Nicklaus names it as his favorite course in the entire world.

Just like your average muni.
    don't argue with us ya Texas termite. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Pebble ain't got notin' on Bandon. **** mansions on Whitman, Cypress & 17 mile look like mortuaries.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    In a valent attempt to change his mind and make him a fan, Phil is going to invite Ferguson to be his partner!��
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Suprised the field isn't stronger with the U.S. being there this year. I know it will be alittle different setup, but 2-4 competitive rounds wouldnt hurt your chances in June
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

lol ... half these goombas wouldn't pass on a chance if offered to play Pebble and joined by a sports icon.

This goomba definitely wouldn't pass on a chance to play with all the other goombas, it's Pebble, probably my favourite course anywhere.

Despite that it is a difficult watch for all of the reasons already stated (Bill Murray). But the most annoying thing for me is that year after year the coverage starts after everyone has already passed 7 and 8, or, that hiatus that occurs unnaturally when they go from GC to CBS takes place as the leaders are playing 7 & 8.

What I need is a channel dedicated to 7 & 8.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
    Ya nichho I was a volunteer for over a decade at this event, and I gotta tell ya I saw some real weird personalities out there.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭

+1

I love Pebble Beach. I've never played it, but it's an amazing set of courses from a TV perspective. Everything looks beautiful. Unfortunately, for the reasons listed above, the AT&T is unwatchable at times. I pray that one day this tournament is no longer a pro-am.

Tune into the US Open. Not too far away!
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Performing validation testing of the M G S test
  • munichopmunichop Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @roadking 2003

If I had the experiences Jack had at Pebble Beach it would be my favorite as well. Of course this place is special in the lexicon of golf and if you want to experience it you can play it if you open your wallet wide enough. My critique is based on my own experience there in person. Once you leave the ocean behind the holes seem more ordinary. 12 is still a good par 3 and 14 is a great par 5 but they could be on any inland muni with small greens. Pebble Beach has a lot of its mystique the same way the Old Course does- due in a large part to its history. Something I expect we will all be reminded of this summer since the course is now 100 years old.

Remember this event was created in the first place because February on this course is the off season and having Bing Crosby host an event then gave it some panache. In a lot of ways this event is there to remind all the ordinary people they aren't cool enough or rich enough to play. That being said I still have my pompous wine glass charms that I bought as a souvenir in 2010. Believe it or not they were less than a pack of ball markers and get much more use.
  • GMRGMR Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    flushem wrote:

ODDS to Win:

Dustin Johnson 5/1

Jason Day 9/1

Tony Finau 18/1

Jordan Spieth 20/1

Tommy Fleetwood 20/1

Matt Kuchar 20/1

Phil Mickelson 25/1

Paul Casey 25/1

Patrick Cantlay 25/1