Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Is Rickie a closer now???

oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can’t help but think, no. No he’s not. I know he won and that’s great, I was rooting for him. But I feel he stumbled badly and got lucky. Certainly didn’t close it out in a confident manner.

Comments

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say. You see his girl??!!

Golf wise. Not great weather. Bad break on the ball rolling into the hazard. I'd give him a B+.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 8:29am #3
    Time will tell.

Best, The Future
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • BC33BC33 Divot taker Members Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭
    If Grace doesn't rinse one on 17, and Rickie stands on the tee knowing he's down 1 or 2, does he hit that drive?

Who knows?

Not a Rickie fan per se but he did win after a couple atrocious holes, can't see how he doesn't get confidence from that.

I could see him starting to close tournaments if he's in that position again. He DID close out a 36 and 54 hole lead.
    10.5 Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Tensei Blue 65
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood Even Flow Blue 70
    Callaway XHot Pro 5 Wood Project X LV
    Apex Pro '16 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 54
    MD PM Grind 58 and 64
    Odyssey MXM 9 HT
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • iutoddiutodd Members Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭
    I mean he’s won by “closing” before.

Obviously the Players was crazy - I don’t even know if that counts as closing because he wasn’t really in contention.

But he also won the Scottish Open in 2015 with birdies on 15, 16 and 18 to win by one. Stuffed it on 18 to win. He was either in the last group or second to last.

Since then he’s not done so well. And today was sort of representative of his problem - he seems to have one or two holes that just go wrong for him. He was 2 under today on holes that weren’t numbers 5 and 11. If he pars 5 and 11 he wins by 7. A big “if” obviously.
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That drive on 18 didn't scream Closer to me.

Miller would've been telling the caddie to throw away the driver and 3WD and hit an iron. Same for 17.
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    he's won 5 times on the tour ... the adjective "closer" gets tossed around a bit too loosely ...
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,552 ClubWRX
    There was wind, rain and cold. He endured and didn't fold when it would have been easy to do after a really bad break on 11. Grace choked and Rickie didn't. I know what Johnny would say.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Miller would've been telling the caddie to throw away the driver and 3WD and hit an iron. Same for 17.
    Driver took the water left out of play.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,435 ClubWRX
    If he thinks so, that's all that matters - he sure seemed pretty self-assured right after.
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The shank early in the round would be much more worrisome to me...
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He closed today after the damp conditions had his shots a bit squirrly, particularly the long irons, some bad breaks, and a few demons from this course/tournament. It wasn't pretty, but it was clutch. His putting was stellar. Does that make him a closer going forward? I hope so. I still would like to see him post two good rounds at a major on Saturday AND Sunday.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hilarious thread. Of course he is. Seriously ?
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He's had 7 54 hole leads in his career.

He's shot over par in the final round all 7 times.

In Rickie's last two wins, he's posted an over par score in the final round.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hilarious thread. Of course he is. Seriously ?

Maybe clarification is required but most seemed to get the premise of the thread.

If your life depended on it and you need to choose a golfer who is leading by a few with a round to go, is Rickie your man? Is he even in the top 20 of those that you’d choose?

Not for me. Was not convincing at all. He’s failed plenty of times and has not won anywhere near what he could have.

There are players that have the ability, knack, etc etc to lead and not let anyone back into the contest. They control their lead. Rickie is heavily suspect in this regard.

I’m not bashing Rickie, he’s one of my favorite personalities on the tour. But he is a nervous finisher.
  • bigchucksrbigchucksr Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    All of that "closing" business is simply commentators trying to create a dramatic narrative during a match. It's simply babble--much like we all enjoy here on the forum.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Not even close. He didn't win today. He barely didn't lose it.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Fowler lacks a lot of confidence under pressure.
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things..he was not lucky he was unlucky. Talk about closing...where were all the guys when the door was wide open? Plus...his putter is pure magic.
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rough crowd..

Other than a couple bad swings and a terrible break that led to 5 over par on just two holes he actually played pretty well and putted great given the conditions.

Throw out those two holes and what he said on 18 was true....he played pretty well.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If he can hold his head together like he did today, he will definitely win more. He looked a little rattled at times, but seemed to gather himself well. He was a closer today.
    Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Tour Edge HL 3w, 7w
    Adams A12OS 6h
    PING i3+ 6-SW
    Toulon Lotus M203

• rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    if his second ball didn't roll into the water he would have dropped 2 shots sitting at -1. Also, who knows how the rest of the round would have played out.

At what point does everyone stop and think...

Pouring rain, No good scores recorded for the day, A drop that then fell away a second time and the slow play all day NON of which I feel is a reflection of his game? He won and pulled 2 birdies when counted. I think he has done well and to turn around from that 7 speaks volume!
    Hitting it straight is overrated! 

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought hitting driver on 17 spoke volumes for his confidence.
    Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Tour Edge HL 3w, 7w
    Adams A12OS 6h
    PING i3+ 6-SW
    Toulon Lotus M203

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

I thought hitting driver on 17 spoke volumes for his confidence.

I thought it was insane but I’m glad it worked out! ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • proguyproguy Members Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    F9 9 degree Atmos black
    Epic 15 degree Diamana white
    M3 19 Hyrbrid Proforce Yellow
    R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
    4-pw J40 CB Project X
    52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
    Bryon Gball!
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf is hard and I'm pretty certain winning on Tour is tougher than any of us keyboard cowboys can imagine. Rickie got some horrific breaks today yet still was able to gut it out. He made several mistakes, but he also made some super-clutch putts and threaded that driver on #17. Though I'm pretty sure hed rather have shot 65 in the sunshine for the walk-off, given the circumstances I'd say he closed it out just fine.
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oz dee cee wrote:

I can’t help but think, no. No he’s not. I know he won and that’s great, I was rooting for him. But I feel he stumbled badly and got lucky. Certainly didn’t close it out in a confident manner.

Hmmm. A triple and a double on the back nine? He won, but he ain't there yet.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    rkelso184 wrote:

if his second ball didn't roll into the water he would have dropped 2 shots sitting at -1. Also, who knows how the rest of the round would have played out.

At what point does everyone stop and think...

Pouring rain, No good scores recorded for the day, A drop that then fell away a second time and the slow play all day NON of which I feel is a reflection of his game? He won and pulled 2 birdies when counted. I think he has done well and to turn around from that 7 speaks volume!

If he didn't chip it over the green into the water then he wouldn't have had to drop on a slope...
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    an exciting final nine, great entertainment with some drama provided from mother nature. Great play from Grace to be one of a handful to post under par. Rickie blew the lead when all he had to do was protect it. He got lucky when it counted and Grace got unlucky when it counted.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say. You see his girl??!!

Golf wise. Not great weather. Bad break on the ball rolling into the hazard. I'd give him a B+.

I saw his girl. She looks like all the other millionaire players main squeezes.
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me he did close out that tournament, doesn’t matter what happened before that, after 11 and the shell shock on 12 he finished the round playing -2 golf. Call everything before that whatever, when it mattered he didn’t fold and even capitalized.

Is he a closer? Maybe not. Is he a winner, yes. Better to be lucky than good...sometimes...and still win.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file