Can someone explain "spikeless" golf shoes to me...

SDK67SDK67 MassachusettsMembers Posts: 2

Hello all-

I played golf for a brief time in my early 20's. Fast forward close to 30 years and I am getting back into the game in a big way. Thankfully, I'm in a good place financially. Having said that, I'm now "older/wiser", have a wife who wants to play (and needs gear), and two school age children (who also want to play and need clubs). In other words, I have plenty of other things to throw money at.

I have geared up enough for lessons and some casual play, but have yet to buy golf shoes. The spikeless ones seem like I'm just buying yet another pair of sneakers. I have a few friends with Country Club memberships, so I know that I will need some sort of golf shoe sooner rather than later. I guess my main questions are:

Does this new generation of spikeless shoes actually do anything to improve your game?
Beyond comfort, should I be looking for anything else other than not spending too much?
Is there any practical difference between the super expensive shoes and an $80 pair. Other than looking expensive? I long ago left caring about that sort of thing behind...
My best bet for buying just one pair that I can wear to a CC, but still be as casual/comfortable as possible?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can help you out with this because I have a bit of a golf shoe problem.

• Spikeless shoes tend to be move comfortable than spiked shoes because you have continuous support rather than stiff areas where the spikes are. That being said, spikeless shoes are a mess when it is wet outside as you can slide around pretty easy. The spikeless shoes have definitely gone towards a more "Street" shoe look and as a result a lot of them are made from lightweight and breathable materials which make them nice for afternoon or hotter rounds.
    • Comfort is so personal so really just try them on and see what you like; I really like the Nike Roshe spikeless shoes.
    • The difference between expensive and cheaper shoes is materials. The aforementioned Roshe shoes are about $80 and are great for dry days but for wet days I like my footjoy dryjoy tours. If you play in wet conditions I would definitely spring for a better pair of leather shoes or something.
    • The one benefit of buying spiked shoes is that they last longer. Spikeless shoes wear down and you cant replace anything when they do. With spikes, they will wear down and you can swap them out and have a fresh pair of grippers on the bottom. WIth that being said, it would be worth the money to invest in a good pair of spiked shoes that will last you a long time.
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The nubs on the spike-less shoes that I have had lasted longer than I wanted to continue wearing the shoe. Plenty of grip except the sloppiest of condition. They may be a little more comfortable,, this is personal but also depends on design. I have spiked shoes now and they are just as comfortable, again, personal but also depends on design.

• ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have more golf shoes than I have 'shoes'......spikeless for summer, spiked for winter. Simple.

Ping Rapture 12.5* + PWR75 ts.
    Ping G400 no.2 17* + Oban Kiyoshi White x.
    Titleist VG3 Forged '18 4i - PW + Recoil Proto 125 F5.
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50 + Recoil Proto 125 F5.
    Callaway PM19 54/58 + KBS Hi-Rev 115 2.0s.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

YMMV, but literally the only time I have slipped in 5+ years of exclusive spikeless golf shoe wear was on a dry gravel-covered cart path. And that’s in plenty of sloppy, soupy conditions.

Haven’t done the math, but I suspect the area of turf contact (and therefore grip) is probably greater with ”spikeless” nubs than with today’s spindly soft spikes. Nails, of course, might be a different story.

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I only wear golf shoes with replaceable spikes and never have a problem with slipping. I have a couple friends that have switched to the spikeless models and they will slip once or twice a round.

• mister2coolmister2cool Members Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 7:35am #7

I have both spiked and spikeless, never had slipping problem with either in wet or dry conditions. The last time I got injured playing golf was wearing soft spiked shoes and stepped on rock...Spikeless shoes usually have softer sole so they actually handle rocky situation better.
    With very few exceptions, actual spikeless golf shoes are not closely related to street or running sneakers. I have a pair of Nike's that are actually lacrosse shoes but they have rubber stubs all across the bottom and the traction is awesome. Proper golf shoes need to handle a lot of lateral load, which would tear regular sneakers apart.
    The exceptions I am talking about are mainly the ones for very hot weather. They have stretchy mesh upper and very much sneaker like. I have a pair too and only wore them once in a golf round. Standing on the bank of a bunker, my feet was sliding all over the place inside the shoe, and I almost couldn't hold the stance.

2017 M1 440 10.5, Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.0
    2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    RBZ Stage 2 18*H,Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
    Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300
    Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
    Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
    Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
    Putter... Who needs that?
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lots to unpack here and no one answer . Spike-less shoes very greatly
    In spike design. No one answer about them. Spiked shoes also very greatly. Cost of shoes for what you get varies greatly.

I think about the only consistent point mentioned is generally true water proof (and breathable) shoe will cost more. So if you play in wet conditions which included morning dew you may want to spend a bit more.

My truly only valuable piece of advice is buy an older model shoe you find comfortable. Something on sale from a few seasons ago might be marked down as much as 70% and will obviously do the job just as well as this year’s model.

• UnteachableUnteachable North MississippiBST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Get a pair of each. After you try some on and find something comfortable. I wear spikeless unless it’s sloppy out and don’t have any problems with slipping even in dew or slightly wet conditions from rain showers. I do find them more comfortable but I have some boost 360 2.0 and some roshe g tours (both spiked) that rival the comfort of many spikeless shoes I have owned.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love spikeless shoes. If you avoid walking on pavement they will last a long time. Much more comfy, and I have zero issues with slipping. I prefer Ecco biom hybrids. They cost a bit more but are worth it.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shoes you wear to play golf........with no spikes on em. You’re welcome!

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX

Seedless grapes?

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX

Just came back from a trip - wore my new Pro SLs, walked the whole time, firm conditions for the most part, rainy sometimes, prime for slipping - never had an issue and they were good walking shoes to boot. Very impressed. No more Trues I'm thinking.

• cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@2bGood said:
    Lots to unpack here and no one answer . Spike-less shoes very greatly
    In spike design. No one answer about them. Spiked shoes also very greatly. Cost of shoes for what you get varies greatly.

I think about the only consistent point mentioned is generally true water proof (and breathable) shoe will cost more. So if you play in wet conditions which included morning dew you may want to spend a bit more.

My truly only valuable piece of advice is buy an older model shoe you find comfortable. Something on sale from a few seasons ago might be marked down as much as 70% and will obviously do the job just as well as this year’s model.

I used to get last years models until I found out that some of the modern construction techniques don't age gracefully. I had a couple pairs of shoes fall apart well before they were worn. I think it was the multi part soles that were glued together that was the problem. Seems like the more pieces used the larger the likelihood that they would fall apart. That's how I found out that Nike's warranty starts at the date of manufacture rather than the date of the sale.

• Jimmy MacJimmy Mac Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Versus traditional metal spikes, spikeless shoes allow you to stay upright when transitioning from carpet to ceramic tiles in the clubhouse.

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 9:42pm #16

He bought them cause they looked cool but his were pretty much a yawn as far as being effective. Looked cool. Sad grippage.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have never really had any trouble slipping in the spikeless shoes. I do still wear shoes with spikes when it is sloppy, but that is mainly because most of mine clean up better than the spikeless. I would wear regular tennis shoes if they didn't get wet and sand all in them. I am all about the comfort now a days.

• SDK67SDK67 MassachusettsMembers Posts: 2

Thank you for all of the replies! Much appreciated...

• bordercitygolferbordercitygolfer Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

I only wear spikeless now. Made the transition to Ecco's a bunch of years ago when Freddie made them popular (and didn't wear socks).
    Now into True's.
    I never slip in them. The only time I see that happen to people is on a sidehill lie and they are off balance (heel to toe) to begin with. No reason to slip if you are balanced and have a controlled transition.

Driver - Titleist 917D2 10.5º, Tensei Blue X
    3W - Callaway Epic, Fubuki X
    H - Nike VRS 3&4, Fubuki S
    Irons - Bridgestone J40, ProjectX 6.0
    Wedges - Scratch DD 50/53/58
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Global Limited, Mills Ming, Mills bullet, Spider Tour, Toulon Portland H4

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started wearing spikeless last August after 7+ years of playing FootJoy and Adidas spiked golf shoes. I haven't had an issue with grip, not even when it's wet and there's a bunch of leaves on the ground. Also, there's no need to worry about replacing spikes, having them fall out, and in general, they're more comfortable.
    I think I have 12 pairs of G/fore now, which are expensive if you buy them new, but you can find a lot of the older unworn models on eBay for really good prices.

Ping G410+
    Taylormade M5 5wood
    Epon AF-903 20°
    Taylormade P750 (pw, 9i, 8i)
    Taylormade P770 (7i & 6i)
    Taylormade P790 (5i & 4i)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 50° 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am so glad spikeless shoes came along a few years after I started playing golf. They are waterproof, supportive and stable (unlike sneakers) but don't have the silly spikes on the bottom to damage everything you walk on and risk slipping every time you step on a hard surface. I remember those first couple pairs of "golf spikes" I bought as a beginner. Good riddance.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spikeless shoes are vastly superior to spiked shoes, and anyone that hasn't switched is missing out due to false-ideas that have been planted in their head, bias against innovation that is innate to humans, or a history with trying the very first iterations of spikeless shoes. When they were first introduced, they largely used rounded nubs that wore out fast and had no torsional resistance to protect against slippage. Now that everyone is using squared nubs, sharp lines, and other cornered shapes, slippage is a moot point. I have a driver swing speed of about 109-112 mph, and I have literally never slipped while wearing spikeless shoes in any condition ever.

Think about it like this. Spiked shoes; let's take the FootJoy Tour-S as an example. Great shoe, comfy, looks cool. Has 9 spikes per shoe, 6 rubber legs per spike, for a total of 108 points of contact between your feet and the ground. Spikeless; my Adidas Crossknit Boost 2.0s are spikeless, and have 81 rubber nubs per foot, or 162 contact points between my feet and the ground, which is a 50% increase compared to the spiked model. That they create more friction and therefore have more traction is an inarguable fact of physics. They're also way more stable and comfortable because of the style and sole.

Golf is a sport that, historically, values tradition waaaayyyyyyyy too highly, much to the detriment of the game. Go buy yourself some spikeless shoes and take advantage of the newest and best technology. Find a pair that is comfortable, and that has a butt load of squared nubs (avoid anything round, or anything very small, as these will both wear out quickly and won't produce enough friction).

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:04pm #23

Dry conditions they work just fine. I don't care for them in really wet stuff though. They are lighter and, ime, a little more comfortable to wear than spiked versions.

Post edited by smashdn on
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have both. The spikeless grip just fine when it’s dry or damp. When it’s wet I wear spiked shoes. When I’ve forgotten my golf shoes and used my running shoes I can get away with it but I do slip from time to time even in dry conditions.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 9:43pm #25

@cmagnusson said:
    Spikeless shoes are vastly superior to spiked shoes, and anyone that hasn't switched is missing out due to false-ideas that have been planted in their head, bias against innovation that is innate to humans, or a history with trying the very first iterations of spikeless shoes . . . I have a driver swing speed of about 109-112 mph, and I have literally never slipped while wearing spikeless shoes in any condition ever.

This. Before I transitioned to spikeless, I asked the pros at my course and they all said that anyone with a swing speed over 100mph would be doing themselves a disservice because spikeless would slip. I hover around the 110mph mark and made the switch anyway because spikeless are so much more comfortable. I've never slipped on the course because of spikeless shoes.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 9:56pm #26

I walk almost all the time, and wear spikeless. I usually play early, and often there is fairly heavy dew. Never had a slipping issue.

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 38 ✭✭

The ProSL is a great spikeless shoe. Comfortable to walk in, and the wear on the nubs is incredible. I prefer them over ever spiked shoe I have worn. They are also very stable, and stability is one shortfall of cheaper shoes that I have noticed.

• 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really want to give spikeless a try but don't want to spend the $120 on the extremely comfortable Puma's to find out they slip on me.

TM M5 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    TM P.7TW 3-PW Project X 6.5

Titleist SM7 WedgeWorks Raw
    46*/10F Project X 6.5 
    50*/08F, 54*/10S, & 60*/12D TI DG S400

TM Spider X 34" Navy
    TM TP5X
    Mizuno MP32's 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@1s1k said:
    I really want to give spikeless a try but don't want to spend the $120 on the extremely comfortable Puma's to find out they slip on me.

I wear the FootJoy FJ Flex and got them for about $80 on sale at PGA Tour Superstore. I'm a big guy and swing hard and have never slipped in them. And, these shoes are incredibly comfortable and offer wide sizes, which is a must for me.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• MontanagolfMontanagolf Members Posts: 58 ✭✭

@1s1k said:

I have been playing spikeless for years and have never slipped. I have a pair of Puma and they work great.

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the Addidas Adicross, usually can find last year's models on sale for about $40 come october. I have 3 different colors at this point. This particular model is NOT waterproof so if it's wet out I won't wear them.
    Once the nubs wear out, I just use them as casual shoes for dog walking, mowing the lawn, etc.
    One advantage is that they look like casual shoes and I wear them to work, so when I go to my golf league, I don't have to change shoes!

Edit: here they are for $50 right now:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013UDW2Z4/ref=twister_B014GY52CQ?th=1&psc=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file