GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Kuchar in the bunker

24
4

Comments

  • farmerfarmer Members  8844WRX Points: 1,227Posts: 8,844 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #32

    If the rules official onsite approved of Kuchar's action, then it may look bad, but it was legal.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 9, 2019 #33

    Just saying that Tiger has had his share of **** himself, rules wise. So while he got to remove the boulder (under the direction of an RO), and maybe got a nice reference point back at TPC (didn't need an RO for that), he also couldn't get the drop procedure right at the Masters, moved his ball while removing sticks for penalty, messed up the embedded ball ruling during the desert swing, etc...

    Very well may be the greatest player ever, but not as rules savvy as others. That's all.

    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that website, though.

    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Members  487WRX Points: 117Posts: 487 Greens
    Joined:  #34

    I think the way he went about improving his lie showed his intent. If he felt comfortable with the rule, he woulda just grabbed a wedge and dug out a nice little teeing area for his ball. Used to like the guy, even with his odd swing. Now he just seems like the other Georgia Tech graduates that have to say, "Well, technically" at least once every conversation.

    Posted:
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

    (1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members  865WRX Points: 264Posts: 865 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #35

    As I watched it, I became uncomfortable. Stop, Matt, just . . . stop. I mean, technically, a grain of sand is a really tiny rock, but that went on far too long. If one of the guys in my foursome did that we’d start throwing tees at him.

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #36

    Here's the bigger question: If Matt Kuchar's act was so egregious …..Who is protecting the field, certainly not the rule official and not his playing partner.

    Posted:
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members  1010WRX Points: 157Posts: 1,010 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #37

    On -, @mrbh said:

    Agree Cink did the same thing at HH that year and that was also highly problematic for the same reason - in both cases a really poor lie got turned into a perfect one. Not saying either one was strictly against the letter of the rules necessarily, but the look and smell is awful IMO.

    There's a common denominator with these 2. Several more with the denominator are questionable on various ways on a golf course.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members  1006WRX Points: 301Handicap: 5Posts: 1,006 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 9, 2019 #38

    On -, @Vindog said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    Let me tell you about the rules of golf.....they are there to help you....Period. The top players (except Dustin Johnson) knows how to exploit the rules and they do it all the time especially Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els just to name a few. They figure that Golf gives you so many bad breaks that they deserve a couple of good breaks....Remember if an official is right there and he says that what you are doing is okay then it is okay by the rules, that why they call for rulings when ever something is in question......end of story.

    Tiger has a losing record against the rule book. Boulder gate might have been the only time he came out on top.

    Well, the boulder and the time at Akron in 2006 when he lost his ball on the roof of the clubhouse but somehow it was ruled not lost.

    Posted:
  • bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8Members  1007WRX Points: 211Handicap: GHIN Index 12.8Posts: 1,007 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #40

    Just saw this and thought it was incredible. Matt Kuchar removing small granular sand (surely he's grabbing individual sand particles as well with his forcep-fingers?) as loose impediments until such point he's opened up a nice trench around his ball and it's sitting on a pedestal like a tee. What is up with this guy?
    https://twitter.com/Ladiestees1/status/1170049042665095168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1170049042665095168&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgolfweek.com%2F2019%2F09%2F08%2Fmatt-kuchar-latest-act-goes-against-spirit-of-the-rules%2F

    Posted:
    GHIN Index 12.7
    Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Tensei CK Blue 60-Stiff 
    GBB 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Mitsubishi KuroKage 50 
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW, Recoil 760 F3
    Callaway Rogue 19* 3-Hb, Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
    Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
    Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #41

    Just a few lines down from your topic is this one.

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1790940/kuchar-in-the-bunker#latest

    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,193Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #42

    so to all griping about this ...are you also against the new rule allowing loose impediments to be moved in hazards? I recall quite a large majority were all for this when discussed in the rules forumn before it was implemented.... I fail to see how people couldnt see this type thing coming.... when we stop playing it as we find it , the game will be lost

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • broomstickerbroomsticker Members  51WRX Points: 90Handicap: 1Posts: 51 Bunkers
    Joined:  #43

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    so to all griping about this ...are you also against the new rule allowing loose impediments to be moved in hazards? I recall quite a large majority were all for this when discussed in the rules forumn before it was implemented.... I fail to see how people couldnt see this type thing coming.... when we stop playing it as we find it , the game will be lost

    Yes, I am 100% opposed to the new "penalty area" rule. There is no difference in hitting from the rough than the penalty area other than the allowable drops. It's silly.
    Bunkers in the US at least are too easy. If we do not get a perfect lie we b**** about a poor rake job or a bad break. Don't hit it there!

    Posted:

    SZ Xtreme 10.5* at 9* Fujikura Pro 60 S
    13* F7
    19* and 22* Callaway XR Hybrids
    26* Adams Mini Pro Hybrid
    6-GW Wilson V6 S300 AMT
    55* Mizuno S5
    60* Mizuno S5
    STX Sync 3 45"

  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,193Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #44

    On -, @broomsticker said:

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    so to all griping about this ...are you also against the new rule allowing loose impediments to be moved in hazards? I recall quite a large majority were all for this when discussed in the rules forumn before it was implemented.... I fail to see how people couldnt see this type thing coming.... when we stop playing it as we find it , the game will be lost

    Yes, I am 100% opposed to the new "penalty area" rule. There is no difference in hitting from the rough than the penalty area other than the allowable drops. It's silly.
    Bunkers in the US at least are too easy. If we do not get a perfect lie we b**** about a poor rake job or a bad break. Don't hit it there!

    Absolutely agree. All the new rules did was to give the cheater a reason to justify doing so.

    Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8470WRX Points: 1,397Posts: 8,470 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #45

    I'm burning my Skechers.

    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members  7052WRX Points: 325Posts: 7,052 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #46

    Gray area but wow his lie sure did improve immensely.

    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 16.5 Tensei Orange 70 X
    Ping G410 19 Tensei X
    Ping G410 22 Tour 85 Stiff
    Ping i200 5-AW KBS Tour 120 Stiff
    Ping Glide Forged 56
    Ping Glide Forged 60
    Ping UG-LE Putter
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members  6087WRX Points: 449Posts: 6,087 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #47

    It reminds me of when guys improve their lie on the tee box by using their foot to step and press down behind the ball. The visual of such action looks terrible, and it certainly seems like a penalty, it would be any other place on the course, but the rules allow you to improve your lie in certain situations. Ultimately, it’s much ado about nothing. I’m fine with it.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #48

    On -, @JohnnyCashForever said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    Let me tell you about the rules of golf.....they are there to help you....Period. The top players (except Dustin Johnson) knows how to exploit the rules and they do it all the time especially Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els just to name a few. They figure that Golf gives you so many bad breaks that they deserve a couple of good breaks....Remember if an official is right there and he says that what you are doing is okay then it is okay by the rules, that why they call for rulings when ever something is in question......end of story.

    Well, no, it's not the end of the story. Witness DJ's ruling on the 5th green at Oakmont. There have been plenty of real-time rulings that were reversed after-the-fact.

    "Kuchar" may eventually enter the English (and Spanish) lexicon as a verb.

    1. "Better keep an eye on him. He really tried to kuchar that rules official on the last hole."
    2. "The caddie didn't want to be kuchared, so he hired a contracts lawyer to negotiate his pay for the week."
    3. "I was accused of kucharing the bocce game yesterday at the picnic. Come on! Everyone knows that I was entitled to an extra ball by an obscure codicil to the original bocce rule book."

    Or how 'bout I'm being kuchared by Johnny Cash....he's taking this post right up to the edge of reality.....LOL!

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21657WRX Points: 5,658Posts: 21,657 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #49

    On -, @gvogel said:

    I'm burning my Skechers.

    No way - Kuchar's Skechers buyers are too cheap to waste them.

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #50

    On -, @****_is_chrome said:

    On -, @Vindog said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    Let me tell you about the rules of golf.....they are there to help you....Period. The top players (except Dustin Johnson) knows how to exploit the rules and they do it all the time especially Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els just to name a few. They figure that Golf gives you so many bad breaks that they deserve a couple of good breaks....Remember if an official is right there and he says that what you are doing is okay then it is okay by the rules, that why they call for rulings when ever something is in question......end of story.

    Tiger has a losing record against the rule book. Boulder gate might have been the only time he came out on top.

    Well, the boulder and the time at Akron in 2006 when he lost his ball on the roof of the clubhouse but somehow it was ruled not lost.

    Thanks for pointing out the fact that the mountain of a boulder was not the only time Tiger Woods got a favorable ruling. Well done! The poster almost had me believing that Nonsense!....LOL!

    Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5934WRX Points: 3,394Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,934 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #51

    just a few things to ponder:

    1. to my knowledge, there has never been a "positive Kuchar" thread
    2. his dad loves free sketchers
    3. you will never find a Christmas card from Justin Leonard in Kuchar's house
    Posted:
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members  1819WRX Points: 303Posts: 1,819 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #52

    Agree it doesn't pass the smell test. I guess if it is a "waste area" or whatever it is called, he can remove loose impediments, but he seemed to be pretty liberal with that interpretation. Plus he can ground his club and with a low backswing can create a nice path into the ball. Just doesn't look right IMHO, but whatever.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2470WRX Points: 968Posts: 2,470 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #53

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    so to all griping about this ...are you also against the new rule allowing loose impediments to be moved in hazards? I recall quite a large majority were all for this when discussed in the rules forumn before it was implemented.... I fail to see how people couldnt see this type thing coming.... when we stop playing it as we find it , the game will be lost

    I don't play for money or care what my handicap is (or score really for that matter).

    I say play it down everywhere. I won't pick up on the green unless there is a big glob of dirt or my ball is in someone else's line. I'd be game for just doing a little smoothing in the bunkers, no full bore raking. Just smooth out the footprints as best you can and get on with the game.

    There is a certain satisfaction for me in hitting a good shot from a tough lie.

    Posted:
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members  893WRX Points: 208Posts: 893 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #54

    On -, @Llortamaisey said:

    It reminds me of when guys improve their lie on the tee box by using their foot to step and press down behind the ball. The visual of such action looks terrible, and it certainly seems like a penalty, it would be any other place on the course, but the rules allow you to improve your lie in certain situations. Ultimately, it’s much ado about nothing. I’m fine with it.

    It’s the tee box. Why does that look any more terrible than building a little mound like players used to do?

    Posted:
  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly Members  498WRX Points: 205Handicap: 14Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #55

    On -, @RobertBaron said:

    On -, @Llortamaisey said:

    It reminds me of when guys improve their lie on the tee box by using their foot to step and press down behind the ball. The visual of such action looks terrible, and it certainly seems like a penalty, it would be any other place on the course, but the rules allow you to improve your lie in certain situations. Ultimately, it’s much ado about nothing. I’m fine with it.

    It’s the tee box. Why does that look any more terrible than building a little mound like players used to do?

    It gets worse than just a mound or a depression behind the ball.

    At my course, some of the guys use a little stick to hold the ball up in the air!

    Outrageous!

    Anyways, what Kuch is doing should be against the rules. Since it's not, then the rules need to change to cover it, because this is not the way any shot was ever intended to be played.

    Posted:
  • 86020818602081 Members  2113WRX Points: 242Handicap: 10Posts: 2,113 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #56

    Legal or not.. it's looks shady to me..
    He's improving his lie as he's acting like he's moving rocks..

    Posted:
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 9, 2019 #57

    B>

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @****_is_chrome said:

    On -, @Vindog said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    Let me tell you about the rules of golf.....they are there to help you....Period. The top players (except Dustin Johnson) knows how to exploit the rules and they do it all the time especially Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els just to name a few. They figure that Golf gives you so many bad breaks that they deserve a couple of good breaks....Remember if an official is right there and he says that what you are doing is okay then it is okay by the rules, that why they call for rulings when ever something is in question......end of story.

    Tiger has a losing record against the rule book. Boulder gate might have been the only time he came out on top.

    Well, the boulder and the time at Akron in 2006 when he lost his ball on the roof of the clubhouse but somehow it was ruled not lost.

    Thanks for pointing out the fact that the mountain of a boulder was not the only time Tiger Woods got a favorable ruling. Well done! The poster almost had me believing that Nonsense!....LOL!

    Alright so 3-2.

    I have yet to see you back up your claim. So make a list pointing out where he's lobbied the ROs. I'm open minded to being wrong. Are you?

    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8470WRX Points: 1,397Posts: 8,470 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #58

    I think that we need to go back to a simpler form of the rules. You play the ball as it lies. You don't get relief, unless there is a local rule (lift clean and place after a torrential rain). No relief from whatever is in a bunker or waste area. If you hit it in there, you deal with the consequences, however bad. Better than hitting it into a water hazard. And I am in favor of deep furrows in bunkers.

    ON the other hand, I am also in favor of ground under repair when you hit it into a fairway divot. I believe that if you hit it into the fairway, you should be rewarded with a decent lie.

    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #59

    On -, @Vindog said:

    B>
    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @****_is_chrome said:

    On -, @Vindog said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    Let me tell you about the rules of golf.....they are there to help you....Period. The top players (except Dustin Johnson) knows how to exploit the rules and they do it all the time especially Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els just to name a few. They figure that Golf gives you so many bad breaks that they deserve a couple of good breaks....Remember if an official is right there and he says that what you are doing is okay then it is okay by the rules, that why they call for rulings when ever something is in question......end of story.

    Tiger has a losing record against the rule book. Boulder gate might have been the only time he came out on top.

    Well, the boulder and the time at Akron in 2006 when he lost his ball on the roof of the clubhouse but somehow it was ruled not lost.

    Thanks for pointing out the fact that the mountain of a boulder was not the only time Tiger Woods got a favorable ruling. Well done! The poster almost had me believing that Nonsense!....LOL!

    Alright so 3-2.

    I have yet to see you back up your claim. So make a list pointing out where he's lobbied the ROs. I'm open minded to being wrong. Are you?

    Okay......What about the double hit under the bush at his own tournament when he said that he didn't feel the double hit, so the rules committee said OK.

    Posted:
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members  600WRX Points: 305Posts: 600 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #60

    It’s all good guys, it’s kuuuuuch, can’t hate the kuuuch, I’m sure it was embedded on its secondary ball mark and didn’t feel it when he was scooping the sand, I mean loose impediments.
    Even if it looks like cheating it isn’t, “i feel like i could go dancing” free sketchers and free the Tucán! (Or is it Tucán loop 4 free?)

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GeorgeHWBGeorgeHWB Members  2195WRX Points: 1,639Posts: 2,195 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #61

    I love that Kuchar has triggered self-righteous windbags once again.

    I'm looking at you Jeff Shackelford.

    Posted:
4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.