We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Left Handed but golf right handed

2»

Comments

• bnperronebnperrone  41WRX Points: 18Members Posts: 41

Left-handed and play righty. I like the idea of a strong left side. May be coincidence but I've certainly never sliced the ball. Of course, I don't know any other way because there is no way I could swing left-handed.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16  795WRX Points: 129Members Posts: 795

I'm left handed, left eye dominant. I broke my left arm a couple of times as a kid so I learned to use my right arm a lot more.. obviously.

As a result, kind of ambidextrous.. I switch hit in baseball, can shoot a basketball, shoot, bowl, and play tennis either way...always favored playing right handed though for some reason...have always thrown, eaten and written left handed only...

As for golf... always fought a strong left hand grip and struggle to rotate my right arm properly... but still managed to be scratch for a few years...

One final thing.. I put my burger down on my plate upside down after each bite.. been told it's a "left handed" thing...

Posted:
    Titleist TS4 8.5
    Titleist TS3  15.0
    Mizuno MP 20 4-PW Project X
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport
  • Tommy56Tommy56  481WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 481

Cool thread! Surprised to see so many folks like myself who is left-handed at many things, but golf right-handed ... just always felt natural to me. Im also left eye dominant. Lefty playing righty has never really hindered my progress, but I recall a teaching pro telling me once that most people in this situation need to focus on maintaining sufficient width in their swing and avoid getting too narrow. That's been a good reminder for me.

Posted:
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M
  • caeye0710caeye0710  40WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 40

I'm left-handed in everything but golf as well. I always seem to line up right of the target (feet line straight to target, club face right of target). Straight-on alignment feels like I need to hit a block for it to be a good shot.

Posted:
    M5 9* - Tour AD DI 70x
    906F2 15.5* - Graffaloy Blue
    2016 M2 4-iron (bent to 17*) - Kuro Kage Silver
    P7TW 4-PW - S400 Tour Issue Onyx Black
    Wedges (In between - currently gaming 09 SM 56 and SM4 60)
    Kingston KP1 GSS - 34 inch
  • fillwelixfillwelix Boston Area 1334WRX Points: 202Members Posts: 1,334

I'm left handed and snowboard goofy, but play golf right handed and throw a ball right handed

Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • daralikedaralike  245WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 245

Pretty much all lefty on everything except golfing. Never had access to left handed clubs as a kid. Swinging righty feels natural now (7.8 index) but it was weird when starting to play as a youngster.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton  674WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 674

I said the same thing...... now Im 40 and still a righty (3.1). The ego thing is REAL! I am considering making the change on the green though. My aim is better, but my distance control is a work in progress.

Posted:
  • g-offg-off  401WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 401

just picked up a lefty 6 iron to play around with..........

Posted:
    905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing
  • GMR2ironGMR2iron  1567WRX Points: 137Members Posts: 1,567

I golf right handed.

I write and eat left handed, throw a baseball and football right handed, but shoot basketball left handed. I switch hit with a baseball bat.

I shoot handguns left handed, but rifles and bow are right handed, cast a fishing pole left handed.

I guess I'm all messed up. I had an old golf pro tell me that you should play golf with the same hand that you wipe your ***. I'm left handed there, and still play golf righty, maybe that's why handicap never gets below 5.

Posted:
    Titleist TS4 9.75 HZRDUS Yellow 
    Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Red
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Titleist SM7 50-08, 56-08, 60-04
    Yes! Tracy
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton  674WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 674

From a motor behavior perspective I've always heard - pick the side you use to brush your teeth (left), but I still play right.

Posted:
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld  3013WRX Points: 197Members Posts: 3,013

Hey, you're almost as messed up as me!

I've concluded that my left had is my 'precision' hand. I eat, write with my left. Anything needing a little more oompf comes from the right side. Ask me to paint a painting or trim, I'll do it with my left hand, give me a roller and I can go either way. Golf, bat, throw, hockey, all right handed.

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm originally from Pittsburgh as well, maybe it's just us.....

Posted:
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Yes! Tracy
  • DrawBiasDrawBias Oklahoma City 213WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 213

Lefty here too - but have always played golf right-handed. Left eye dominant and I do everything lefty, except can switch hit (prefer to hit righty). My dad taught me to play righty, in part due to fewer lefty club options back in the early 1970s. I've always played a draw - and used to fight the snap-hook. That said, I have generally lined up a little right. Technology and age have minimized the draw/hook - and I now will even play the occasional fade.

I have a lefty putter and wedge - and play around with them occasionally. Used to have some lefty clubs (including a set of Eye2 irons) - but have yet to really invest the time to play lefty. Maybe that'll be my 2020 project.

Posted:
    DRIVER: PING G LS Tec - 10.5 w/PING Tour shaft
    FAIRWAY: Cobra KING F6 3W w/Red Tie
    HYBRID: Cobra KING F6 19* w/Red Tie
    IRONS: Callaway Apex CF 16 4-AW w/XP95 (S300)
    WEDGES: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56/13 and 60/10
    PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Select Newport
    BALLS:Titleist Pro V1x and Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld  3013WRX Points: 197Members Posts: 3,013

Must be the Iron City beer that we (or our parents) drank.

Posted:
    Posted:
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Yes! Tracy
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5793WRX Points: 975Members Posts: 5,793

Not quite the same thing, but a lad I know has just taken up golf and he wasn't sure whether to play right-handed or left-handed. He's naturally right-handed, but when he played baseball, he was taught to hit left-handed (harder to pitch at?). In the end he decided to golf right handed because there's not as much left-handed equipment here (Japan). I'm interested to see how he gets on.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Advertisement
  • denkeadenkea  421WRX Points: 101Members Posts: 421

We were all born right handed..........Only the gifted overcome it. ;-)

Posted:
  • lindsaybinseylindsaybinsey  81WRX Points: 53Members Posts: 81

I am a left handed writer, thrower and eater.

The only thing I do righty is golf.

Ironically my son who is a naturally right handed kid, golfs lefty. A lot of folks at my club say it is because when I was initially instructing him at age 2 he was always facing me and mirrored my movements.

It really upsets me because now that he is older and big enough to use my equipment it’s not going to happen. It means it costs me more. Totally bummed about it.

So, to all you dads out there getting ready to take the toddlers out on the range, maybe avoid the “mirroring”

Posted:
  • Radeon962Radeon962  2038WRX Points: 186ClubWRX Posts: 2,038

I’m a righty in everything but my youngest son turned out a lefty in golf, hockey and baseball. He throws right handed and writes right handed.

Posted:
  • aquapigaquapig  328WRX Points: 158Members Posts: 328

I'm essentially the exact same as you. Write and eat lefty and do most everything else right handed.

Have you tried putting lefty? My cousin (who is the same as us) swings righty. He struggled putting righty and switched to putting lefty and improved a ton.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28915WRX Points: 5,403Members Posts: 28,915
    Posted:
    • NEW
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Advertisement
  • gambitgambit  4332WRX Points: 204Members Posts: 4,332

I started off lefty and after right shoulder injuries that have really restricted my range of motion, not to mention pain, I switched to righty. Still putted lefty for a while till I got annoyed with questions on the course. Hit a baseball lefty, throw with either arm but mostly lefty, goofy footed, southpaw, in basketball prefer going to my left and finishing with my left. The only things I do right handed are write and hold utensils. I don’t even hold a cup with my right hand.

Posted:
    • NEW
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British Columbia 185WRX Points: 212Members Posts: 185

I'm a righty swinging left on the golf course as well as at the diamond and ice rink. I got all sorts of hand me downs from my older brother and my first hockey stick from him was left so that was that.

I don't have any feeling for what my left arm/hand is doing in the golf swing so hitting a proper draw on purpose is like a miracle to me. I don't see the point at all. I just try for the straight line to the hole, bah to all this overrated shot shaping. But wait, I can pull off some decent fades and Bubba cuts when needed so I guess I'm not entirely straight and boring.

In soccer I can use both feet for whatever is needed, soft touch or power all with accuracy, but that's just the product of amazing coaching at an early early age.

I tried swinging a golf club righty a few weeks ago and it felt just as awkward as it looked. Yuck!!

Posted:
    • NEW

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• HaberHaber  188WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 188

I’m in the same camp. It’s a Canadian thing. Write, throw, pretty much do everything right handed. From an early age learned to play hockey with the dominant hand on top and it translated over to baseball and golf as well.

Posted:
    • NEW
  • 8overpar8overpar Spring hill, TN 272WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 272

I’m in the messed up crowd. Ambidextrous. If I didn’t tell you, you couldn’t make it out. I write righty. I cannot do cursive left handed. My swing looks more “natural” lefty but can’t hit a ball at all. Throw an American football better left. Putt both with a Bullseye easily. Normal putting grip is left hand low. Throw a baseball more accurate left, played from tee ball through high school right. Things around the house left mainly. Basketball lefty. Soccer either. Ah, hammer is righty only. That hurt.

Right eye dominate.

Posted:
    • NEW
    Cobra 427SS 9.0*
    Cleveland 13* S300
    Cleveland TA1 Form Forged
    Cleveland TA REG 588 53* & 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum
    Top Flight XL2000 Magna
  • BoognishBoognish Houston, TX 741WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 741

My brother swings right and putts left. It is weird, but it works for him. He's a natural lefty in everything else.

Posted:
    • NEW
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 8* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
    Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
    Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
    TEE CBX119 22* / Fuji Pro 83-S
    Srixon z765 4-9 / Modus 120-S
    Mizuno S18 46* & 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Ping Redwood D66

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.