GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Golf brands as car brands

KiwiNick ·  
KiwiNickKiwiNick Members  75WRX Points: 51Handicap: 5Posts: 75 Bunkers

I have a theory that golf manufacturers have a car equivalent. Let me know if you think I have this all wrong

* Taylormade /BMW - futuristic, urban look, fast, loud, youthful, always pushing the rules, doesn't indicate on the road, likely to be the one hitting up on a slow group

* Callaway/ Mercedes Benz - thinks he's understated but is actually brash, very very loud, will always have a bet on a game, wants to beat TM/BMW more than anything, kind of old school, brawny. 

*Titleist /Audi - waaaaay too technical for most people, needs another person to set it up for you, sort of restrained, nerdy. Fast but not the fastest. Probably in IT. Will know every rule. Shouts 'one' if you fluff a shot and miss the ball. 

* Mizuno/Lexus - Smooth and refined, not well known but those who know know. Likey to be the one holding your four ball group together down the back nine. 

* Ping/GM - one of the OG's, heyday referenced all the time in marketing, more niche than they'd like to admit, makes some great stuff. Probably has manicured facial hair. 

* Wilson/Ford - the other OG. Has a small resurgence but nothing like yesteryear. Perfectly good stuff that deserves more credit. Beer gut and 2 day old beard because he works nights. 

*Cleveland/Toyota - Reliable, always turns up for the tee time, texts you back, actually buys a round at the 19th. Surprisingly fast and nimble, won more than a few championship games. The sensible option. Has a 'leave pass' from the wife. 

* Cobra/Alfa Romeo - Flashy, loud and quirky. Colourful and noisy. New product is either a total flop or a runaway success. When they get it right look out! Group chat lit. 

* PXG/Ferrari - The rich guy. Uses 10% of the performance, parks up so you can see the sun glinting off high gloss paint. Nobody in their right mind would pay retail for their stuff. Would definitely hit on your wife.

Posted:
D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
3W 15.75* (C1) Titleist TS2
3H 18* (C1, F) Titleist 818 H1
4i 22* Callaway X Forged UT 
5i > PW Callaway Apex Pro 
GW 50* Callaway MD5 
SW 54* Callaway MD4 
LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 7s 

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU Members  13139WRX Points: 4,205Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,139 Titanium Tees

Pretty dog gone good post there--- I do not know where I fit in though--- I am the big guy with floppy hat and shades and big cigar but drive a rusty Mercedes and play with rusty Macgregor golf clubs and that is no joke-- And I will play you just as hard for fun as for $10.

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mcounci2mcounci2 Members  51WRX Points: 27Posts: 51 Bunkers

Mizuno is Porsche. Everybody knows it's actually the best, faster than Ferrari, nicer than BMW, but people are scared of them because of the stories of 80's 911's snap-oversteering into the guardrail.

Also just my opinon. BMW sucks now. Ever since the M3 became turbocharged and fat. Better off with an S550 Mustang GT.

Posted:
  • cugolf14cugolf14 Members  92WRX Points: 60Posts: 92 Fairways

Lol, good post. I'm sure everyone has their differing opinions, but pretty well drawn out.

Posted:
  • alexdaqt3alexdaqt3 Members  61WRX Points: 30Posts: 61 Bunkers

I am offended how accurate your depiction of me playing Titleist is...

Posted:
  • KiwiNickKiwiNick Members  75WRX Points: 51Handicap: 5Posts: 75 Bunkers

You're not the first Titleist player that's said that to me, lol

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 
    Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

Advertisement
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1239WRX Points: 853Handicap: 12Posts: 1,239 Platinum Tees

Spalding: Oldsmobile. Classic, a name you know and used to love, they made great stuff in the 50's and 60's and they actually held on pretty well into the 80's and almost the 90's before dying and being shuttered in the early 2000's.

The K-sig putter: Tesla: a game-changing newcomer that everyone either loves as an innovative and amazing thing, or hates as a company that shouldn't be in the business altogether. Limited niche in the market but nebulous plans to expand into other areas. Kind of expensive and with newborn cult following.

Miura: Maseratti. They have basically the same logo, same foreign mystique, and same price tag.

MacGregor: Chrysler: One of the longtime solid performers, and just as good if not better than anything else out there. Then went on a long decline, got away from what made them good, sold out to some mammoth conglomerate, and you haven't heard of them since 2008.

A suggested change to the OP:

Ping: Willys/Jeep. Got their start making one thing, making it well, then making a series of ugly but indestructible, yet easy-to-produce and fun-to-use products that people buy en masse. You know someone who has a jeep from the 80's. You also know someone who has a set of pings from the 80's.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• Red4282Red4282 Members  968WRX Points: 393Posts: 968 Golden Tee

Kinda a silly comparison in my view. I guess if you are just doing image/styling maybe. Cars have reliability to factor in. Some of those brands of cars i will never own because i dont want my car in need if repairs every 6 months.

Posted:
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  968WRX Points: 393Posts: 968 Golden Tee

I mean i know we all bored and all... this is a joke? Hmm ok... whats next, lets compare golf clubs as fast food restaurants... 🙄

Posted:
  • NewgsNewgs Members  41WRX Points: 27Handicap: 10.1 indexPosts: 41 Bunkers

This is hilarious!

Posted:

Titleist 917 D2 10.5*

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist AP3 5-48*

Vokey SM7 52.8, 56.10, and 60.12

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Advertisement

You've got a point on Ping their clubs are kinda ugly like Jeep (with the exception of the blueprint irons). Miura does feel like Maserati but they don't exude Italian swagger, at least to me.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

It just a bit of fun man, there's enough serious golf content out there for everyone.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 
    Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 
  • deli_llamadeli_llama Members  76WRX Points: 66Handicap: 8.6Posts: 76 Fairways

Orlimar = Mercury.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7S
    Titelist U510 1-Iron w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 95g S
    Callaway XR 3H w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple 100-04
    Ping I Series E1 4-GW w/ Project X 6.0 | +1/2" Silver Dot
    Callaway JAWS Raw 54* S / 58* T
    Scotty Cameron X7M | 35.5"
    TaylorMade TP5x | White
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2806WRX Points: 1,373Posts: 2,806 Titanium Tees

BMW no longer sells the M3. The current M2, which is the contemporary equivalent, is one of the most magnificent cars ever built. The turbocharged in-line 6 is nothing short of spectacular.

If your comment was about the 3-series in general, no one would argue. The 3-series got bloated and fat, and lost it's identity as a true BMW. The 2-series is essentially the old (and beloved) 3-series.

Posted:
    Post edited by MountainGoat on

Advertisement
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5016WRX Points: 842Posts: 5,016 Titanium Tees

See, I see PXG:Tesla. Cutting edge, expensive, high tech stuff, owned by an charismatic leader.

I do like Spalding:Olds. Both way past their glory days.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13922WRX Points: 2,740Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,922 Titanium Tees

Agree with this

PS I have a 911 and currently the 919t’s are in the bag

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Callaway Apex UT 30* AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13922WRX Points: 2,740Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,922 Titanium Tees

I thought I’d see PXG / Bentley .. except now they are fire saling a lot of older models

Volvo?

Tesla?

I think DeLorean is Liquid Metal golf. Looks cool, cool tech, trying to be numero uno but not sniffing that position

I’m trying to think which brand is Lamborghini?

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Callaway Apex UT 30* AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

• 2bGood2bGood Members  5413WRX Points: 619Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,413 Titanium Tees

Well, most of my bag is Titleist. Drove an Audi for years. Not in IT, but I am a rules guy. So pretty darn good.

I agree PXG it Tesla all the way.

Posted:
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3649WRX Points: 1,164Posts: 3,649 Titanium Tees

Good job. It's pretty accurate I think except the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title was Titleist = Mercedes.

For some reason they have a similar brand to me. Classic. Everyone knows it's nice and they don't try very hard to convince you that it's nice. They don't change a lot from year to year or have too many marketing gimmicks. They are both a little boring.

Neither one is my personal favorite though--- I'm more of a BMW, Lexus, and TaylorMade guy!

Posted:

Advertisement

It's cool...but overheats on lap 2. Still too big. I used to love the E36's and E46's, even the E92. But they lost me starting with the F80.

FYI the F87 is actually the successor to the E82, so not at all the M3 replacement. M3/M4 is just a differentiation on number of doors. And I do love the M2, had the chance to autocross one and was impressed, but forced induction has no place on a track car.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • jgallant415jgallant415 ClubWRX  387WRX Points: 131Handicap: 12Posts: 387 ClubWRX

Ping = Subaru. Great quality. Not as big as they could be because they don't over-produce and are relatively understated on hype/marketing. Excellent performance in wet conditions (AWD and Glide 3.0s). Very loyal user bases.

Posted:

Cobra SpeedZone 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 15*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist TS2 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Apex ‘19 Hybrid 23*, KBS TOUR Graphite Hybrid Proto 85S

Callaway Apex CF19, 5-P, KBS $-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM7, 48.F, 54.S, 58.D

Bettinardi Studio Stock #3

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2806WRX Points: 1,373Posts: 2,806 Titanium Tees

I won't debate BMWs with someone who obviously has more experience than I do. I'll just say that I am brand loyal to only two products, and BMW is one of them. I used to make fun of people who owned them, until I drove one. Then, I got it. I've been in the tank ever since. I sat in an M4 in the dealership last week and almost wet my pants. I was also born and raised in Detroit, so I know all about the Mustang culture. We had a '65, '69, and '75 back in the day. I drove the model you referenced, and it is everything a Detroit muscle car should be. I just didn't like how it cornered, and the seating is a little short for me.

But, as far as this topic goes, my love of these cars makes no difference. I build my own golf clubs. I neither build nor work on my own cars.

Posted:
  • anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  327WRX Points: 169Posts: 327 Greens

This is pretty great.

I agree with the poster who say Titleist should be MB. I see them both as "classic luxury" that anyone can identify. You don't have to know anything about cars/golf to know MB/Titleist.

Callaway I would maybe give to Volvo. Fairly ubiquitous with an air of luxury/flash but overall just a really solid, safe option for most people of moderate means. Makes it clear that you can afford nice things but also that you don't mind shopping at Target.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dcfasdcfas Capital Region, NY Members  1055WRX Points: 195Posts: 1,055 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Mixed bag includes TM, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, and Guerin Rife.

• iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  399WRX Points: 171Handicap: 14Posts: 399 Greens

Taylormade-mcdonalds... good, Can be hit or miss, big chain keeps you comin back.

Callaway-burgerking...yummy, big chain, always coming up with something new and freaky to make you try keeps you comin back.

Mizuno- in n out burger... the best as far as burger and frys, consistently never bad.

Ping-wendys.... very good, usually consistent, different varietys which is nice.

Cleveland golf- kfc... greasy but taste good.

PXG-chic fil a.... order for 2 and it will cost alot.

Cobra-taco bell... very good but you will be on the toilet.

Posted:
  • AlohaJalohaAlohaJaloha ***Aloha Use Only*** Members  81WRX Points: 51Posts: 81 Fairways

My question with this post is what about Nike clubs?? Haha.

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5*
    Titleist 906F2 15*
    Titleist 735CM
    Vokey SMs 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    2004 SC Hula Girl Headcover

Advertisement

Boy, that's a hard one? Maybe MacGregor or Spalding? Used to be THE big player but not really a part of the scene anymore?

Posted:
    • NEW
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.