Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Cameron 009 Worth it if a gamer?

 cmrl1986 ·  
cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
Joined:  in Putters #1
Simple question, is a Cameron 009 worth it? With brands like Byron, Piretti, Bettinardi, Machine, etc. making just as high of quality, or the 009's really worth the north of $3,000 price tag if you aren't a collector? I ask because if I were to get one, i would game it, not collect. Seems like if you actually game them, it would be the same thing as a custom DH89, just with Cameron's name on it instead of Byron. I guess what I'm asking is what makes the 009 different or better than the other offerings when it comes to playability? Or is it all in the branding?
Posted:
PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
Putter is a revolving door...
«13
3

Comments

  • VNutzVNutz  6360Members Posts: 6,360
    Joined:  #2
    There's no difference in playability, they're nearly the same putters with different names on them. The differences are in the initial selling price and what the collectors markets will bear. 009s start higher but also resell pretty well, if you have the right options. Byrons start at a lower price point and resell ok. If you are patient, know the market, and buy used you generally should be able to get most of your money back on either if/when you decide to sell. Whether either is worth it is entirely up to you and if it suits your game.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1470Members Posts: 1,470
    Joined:  #3
    It’s a nice looking head, but no it won’t get the ball in the hole better than a DH89 or similar.
    Posted:
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #4
    VNutz wrote:


    There's no difference in playability, they're nearly the same putters with different names on them. The differences are in the initial selling price and what the collectors markets will bear. 009s start higher but also resell pretty well, if you have the right options. Byrons start at a lower price point and resell ok. If you are patient, know the market, and buy used you generally should be able to get most of your money back on either if/when you decide to sell. Whether either is worth it is entirely up to you and if it suits your game.




    This makes sense, I guess I was wondering if the shape was at all different, or if it's purely the name that drives the price. From what I've heard, they're pretty much the exact same head (maybe extremely minor differences) and the price is due to the popularity of the brand. Obviously you don't see any Byron's on tour, but I'm assuming that's a pay for play issue, not a inferior equipment thing.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • The GeneralThe General  1761Members Posts: 1,761
    Joined:  #5
    1000% yes, do it.
    Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2553Members Posts: 2,553
    Joined:  edited Dec 20, 2018 #6
    I was tempted to get a 009 last year and held off buying one.



    Artisan putters were released and now so glad I bought one. I wanted a putter I can keep and it can grow old with me!



    so most definitely buy your putter that you really want!!!
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills!  6892ClubWRX Posts: 6,892
    Joined:  edited Dec 20, 2018 #7
    Worth it? That's a matter of perspective and what you value. I've paid a lot of money over the years to try out different putters and eventually settle into the ones I really feel the most comfortable with. The irony is that my favorite putter is a flow-neck Bettinardi BB8 which was 1/3 of the price of my CT Camerons, but still relatively expensive. I own 3 CT Camerons...each of them gets played on the course. Was it worth? Sure...but I had $$ to buy and play those putters without sacrificing other things in life (excessive debt, family needs, etc).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #8
    1000% yes, do it.




    Worth it to buy one? Any reasoning in this?
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10128Members Posts: 10,128
    Joined:  #9
    No
    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #10
    Skaffa77 wrote:
    Worth it? That's a matter of perspective and what you value. I've paid a lot of money over the years to try out different putters and eventually settle into the ones I really feel the most comfortable with. The irony is that my favorite putter is a flow-neck Bettinardi BB8 which was 1/3 of the price of my CT Camerons, but still relatively expensive. I own 3 CT Camerons...each of them gets played on the course. Was it worth? Sure...but I had $$ to buy and play those putters without sacrificing other things in life (excessive debt, family needs, etc).




    I've had more than my fair share of custom Bettis, and still own 2-3, same with Piretti tours, and Byron I just love the dh89/009 headshape and Betti doesn't have it (BB0 not as close as you'd think). I'm not really interested in anything outside of that head shape. That being said, I'm trying to decide on either finally having a custom DH89 made, or searching for the right 009 in carbon. I can get the Byron for about $800 new and designed exactly how I want. I know an 009 is going to run around 3,000-3,500, but hold its value.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • MudguardMudguard  1305Members Posts: 1,305
    Joined:  edited Dec 20, 2018 #11
    If you can afford to use it and aren't worried about what it's worth in a few years then go for it. If you're buying it with resale in mind, maybe not so much. It's like anything, it won't putt any better than anything else, but you may enjoy using it.

    The only other thing to consider is how you leave your bag. I'm fairly cavalier about leaving my bag, I'll leave it outside the proshop while I putt or have lunch etc. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with an expensive putter sitting in there.
    Posted:
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #12
    Mudguard wrote:


    If you can afford to use it and aren't worried about what it's worth in a few years then go for it. If you're buying it with resale in mind, maybe not so much. It's like anything, it won't putt any better than anything else, but you may enjoy using it.

    The only other thing to consider is how you leave your bag. I'm fairly cavalier about leaving my bag, I'll leave it outside the proshop while I putt or have lunch etc. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with an expensive putter sitting in there.




    Having a 3k putter stolen is also something I've thought about. I've had a whole bag stolen before (not sitting out, car broken into) and it's no fun whatsoever to try to recoup losses on that thru insurances. I'm a member at a pretty nice club, but play tournaments all over. This is also the reason I use a PGA Championship hc instead of any branded ones on my putters when in my bag.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OH 7258Members Posts: 7,258
    Joined:  #13
    My putter cost $60 used.



    I’m 100% certain it’s putts as well or better than any $3000 putter and I don’t have to worry about it getting stolen because I have an identical one in the corner of my living room that I practice putting with during commercials.



    Of course,.....as much as I love golf I don’t give a **** about putters.



    Spend your money on what makes you happy. I have Rolexes and Brietlings that I really enjoy that tell time worse than a Digital Casio, but they are pretty and they are worth more than what I paid for them so they are “worth” many thousands of dollars to me and that’s all that really matters in the end.
    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • mizunoMX25mizunoMX25  280Members Posts: 280
    Joined:  edited Dec 20, 2018 #14
    If you're planning to keep it forever then it doesn't matter. If you think there's at least a decent chance you'll sell it in a month or two and buy something else, I would argue buy the 009. Just be patient, know what you want as far as general design/stamping, and wait for a good deal. A custom $1000 Byron might net you 2/3 of your money back at best. If you wait for a good deal when people are broke and need money to pay bills, and don't sell it for cheap, there is a very real chance you could get all or more of your money back on the Cameron. Those that tend to get their money back on those kind of deals are those that don't NEED to sell the putter. The most important thing is not to overextend yourself or you will take a beating. I've seen it 100 times. Good luck on the greens regardless of what you decide, you really can't go wrong with either.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
    Titleist TS2 15* GD AD DJ 7S
    Callaway OptiForce 5W
    818H1 4H 23* 
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Aerotech i110 S
    Calloway MD Forged 50
    Callaway 54/58 PM Grind 2019
    Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills!  6892ClubWRX Posts: 6,892
    Joined:  #15
    cmrl1986 wrote:

    Skaffa77 wrote:
    Worth it? That's a matter of perspective and what you value. I've paid a lot of money over the years to try out different putters and eventually settle into the ones I really feel the most comfortable with. The irony is that my favorite putter is a flow-neck Bettinardi BB8 which was 1/3 of the price of my CT Camerons, but still relatively expensive. I own 3 CT Camerons...each of them gets played on the course. Was it worth? Sure...but I had $$ to buy and play those putters without sacrificing other things in life (excessive debt, family needs, etc).




    I've had more than my fair share of custom Bettis, and still own 2-3, same with Piretti tours, and Byron I just love the dh89/009 headshape and Betti doesn't have it (BB0 not as close as you'd think). I'm not really interested in anything outside of that head shape. That being said, I'm trying to decide on either finally having a custom DH89 made, or searching for the right 009 in carbon. I can get the Byron for about $800 new and designed exactly how I want. I know an 009 is going to run around 3,000-3,500, but hold its value.




    If you are not stuck on the Cameron name or care what people see....it sounds like you might appreciate the custom Byron a bit more. With that said...for some of us...until we buy it and try it...we always have that itch that won't go away until you scratch it.
    Posted:
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru  2096ClubWRX Posts: 2,096
    Joined:  #16
    i think you already know the answer (009 isn't worth it unless you are looking for resale or to collect, or if you just love the brand cameron) - a byron is exactly the same materially speaking. its a carbon steel anser headshape. however there is another option. i had a newport aop (carbon scotty anser headshape) completely redone. its no secret i love this stick - its on other posts! all in cost, about $700 with finish, tungsten, sight line, stamps, face milling, putter, grip, cover - etc.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Driver
    TaylorMade M4 HL Fwy
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 Hyb
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-pw Irons
    Mizuno T20 50 54 58 Wedges
    Mannkrafted Putters
    Bridgestone ball, Mizuno / Sun Mntn Bag
  • ckayckay  4156Members Posts: 4,156
    Joined:  #17
    The difference between a 009 and other customs is that you will be able to resell the Cameron a bit quicker. It is the Rolex of the high end putter world. Carries a premium due to the name, recognizable, and there is demand in the preowned market. Other less expensive brands do the same thing, but isn't a Rolex, or in the case of putters, a Cameron.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #18
    ckay wrote:


    The difference between a 009 and other customs is that you will be able to resell the Cameron a bit quicker. It is the Rolex of the high end putter world. Carries a premium due to the name, recognizable, and there is demand in the preowned market. Other less expensive brands do the same thing, but isn't a Rolex, or in the case of putters, a Cameron.




    I've actually experienced the opposite. When it comes to high end putters, the market isn't as big. Trying to convince someone to spend 3k on a putter is very hard unless they're very well off. To me, the easiest to sell are the $400-$600 range because they're usually not OTR and are more affordable.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat  1448ClubWRX Posts: 1,448
    Joined:  #19
    I have had putted with numerous Cameron’s over the last 20 years, I prefer the older carbons.. BUT not one of them felt or sounded like a raw 009, that putter feels and sounds better than any I have owned, atleast to me
    Posted:
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
  • KaTooMKaTooM Woodway, Texas 1433Members Posts: 1,433
    Joined:  #20


    i think you already know the answer (009 isn't worth it unless you are looking for resale or to collect, or if you just love the brand cameron) - a byron is exactly the same materially speaking. its a carbon steel anser headshape. however there is another option. i had a newport aop (carbon scotty anser headshape) completely redone. its no secret i love this stick - its on other posts! all in cost, about $700 with finish, tungsten, sight line, stamps, face milling, putter, grip, cover - etc.




    Beautiful poutter!



    Whoever did the work for you was a true craftsman...the fit and finsih of those tungstem weights is impeccable!
    Posted:
  • BlazerrcBlazerrc  28Members Posts: 28
    Joined:  #21
    All branding. My $100 Pro 1 puts the ball in the hole just as good if not sometimes better than my buddies 009 does
    Posted:
  • KaexoKaexo  748Members Posts: 748
    Joined:  #22
    009s are nice but 100% not worth it. I would much prefer DH89, MA66, Strokesgained, Piretti 801R for half the price.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Matt JMatt J  8735Members Posts: 8,735
    Joined:  #23
    I'd echo the comments about whether it would bother you sitting in your bag. I had a made for tour putter last year and sold it because I didn't want to worry about leaving it outside while traveling to a new course. Some guys wouldn't be bothered, not me, it made me nervous.
    Posted:
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5673Members Posts: 5,673
    Joined:  #24
    If I was going to spend 3 grand I'd buy a Ping Dalehead and spend the rest on a nice set of Miura's . image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Is it "worth" it? No. But if you have the disposable income more power to you.
    Posted:
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • Matt70Matt70  325Members Posts: 325
    Joined:  edited Dec 21, 2018 #25
    Would you rather live in the worst house on the best street or in the best house on the worst street?
    Posted:
    Don White, Custom BB&FC, 2 step muscle backs.
    Don White, Ryan Moore's Scratch AR's.
    Golds Factory Oil Can MB's 3-PW.
    James Ingles & Scott Readman handmade
    1/1 Kari Lajosi Damascus/TEL.
    1/1 Byron Morgan Damascus Bombora.
    Golds Factory Private Stock no.1.
    Cameron SCAD' 05, 2/18.
    Cameron Napa Grapes.
    Odyssey Dual Force 440.
  • tleadertleader  599Members Posts: 599
    Joined:  #26
    That’s entirely up to you. It certainly won’t make you putt better. If it’s suited for your stroke and specs, it can’t hurt your game.

    I have yet to find one that has my “perfect” stamps, finish, etc, so I’ve gone the custom routes with different makers to make my vision come alive.

    Will I buy one that comes along, sure, but not to make me a better putter.
    Posted:
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2316Members Posts: 2,316
    Joined:  edited Dec 21, 2018 #27
    If they ever get to the sub-$2k's maybe, but beyond that I really think there's a ceiling for luxury value. Just like vehicles, sub-100k can be justified to some extent, but above that just seems to get foolish. Everyone has their "limits".



    The other thing I would add is, how's your track record with taking care of your sticks? Are you already super anal about protecting them, used to babying them? I've got putters that have seen the course 3+ dozen times that haven't a single nick or scratch, just small course marks(sand wear on the sole, impact spots on sweetspot). If your best kept club looks dented and 'well used', at some point an 009 will get there too. Old habits die hard, but if you can keep it nice, you'll likely be able to cash-in on it at any time to get your investment back.
    Posted:

    Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

    Calm: B330 RX-S /  Windy: B330-RX

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Matt JMatt J  8735Members Posts: 8,735
    Joined:  #28
    I don't want to own a golf club that needs an insurance rider, which would be sensible if you're going to put a $3k putter into play. I felt foolish for discussing it with my agent who I play golf with regularly. I bought the putter with provenance that it was used on tour but without the COA for around $650. I invested the money and time to send it in to get the COA and valued it around $1500 when I got it back. That was too rich for my blood. Enough to sting if it went missing was enough for me to worry when it was in the bag stand and I was in the bar. Nothing gets between me and relaxing in the bar! Surely I have friends and acquaintances that would scoff and replace it at $3k, that's just not me. Best wishes, OP. You can certainly save yourself some energy by thinking about it a little. Spend a month and pretend you have a $3,000.00 putter in your bag. How often would you think about it and would it be positive for negative. I was mostly playing at a high end private club with club storage. Nothing ever gets stolen. Nonetheless, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Some of us are just more anxious than others image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • daleheaddalehead  1617Members Posts: 1,617
    Joined:  #29
    The only thing a 009 will do that similar putters won't is let you say, "Yeah I'm cool, I have a 009."
    Posted:
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2365Members Posts: 2,365
    Joined:  #30
    A.Princey wrote:


    If they ever get to the sub-$2k's maybe, but beyond that I really think there's a ceiling for luxury value. Just like vehicles, sub-100k can be justified to some extent, but above that just seems to get foolish. Everyone has their "limits".



    The other thing I would add is, how's your track record with taking care of your sticks? Are you already super anal about protecting them, used to babying them? I've got putters that have seen the course 3+ dozen times that haven't a single nick or scratch, just small course marks(sand wear on the sole, impact spots on sweetspot). If your best kept club looks dented and 'well used', at some point an 009 will get there too. Old habits die hard, but if you can keep it nice, you'll likely be able to cash-in on it at any time to get your investment back.






    Im very anal about my putters. Always use a headcover and wipe down reguarly. My current gamer (DH89 oil can) gets oiled every other week or so to keep it fresh.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • The GeneralThe General  1761Members Posts: 1,761
    Joined:  #31
    cmrl1986 wrote:

    1000% yes, do it.




    Worth it to buy one? Any reasoning in this?




    yes, it's worth it if you want it, if you got the cash. It will never wear out and you'll have it forever. Nobody ever buys a Cameron then regrets it afterwards.



    Also, sitting around worrying about something that hasn't happened yet (ie stolen putter) is bad for your health and is not a good way to live. If you love golf, you'll love a oo9. I'm a NP2 guy.
    Posted:
3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file