Which clubs would you carry at a minimum?

jordan2240

Have played a 4 club format in Men's League at a sub 6 k par 69 course a handful of times. Have usually gone with 5w, 7, 52, putter. Typically a few shots higher than an average round, but not my high score of the year. Not unusual for someone to have one of their better scores. Fun way to mix it up on a course you are familiar with.

I tried this last week. I brought with me 14 clubs just for the sake of my buddies not making fun of me. lol

I only used though the following clubs: Driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 7 iron, 9 iron, PW, AW, SW and putter. It was quite an experience, to be honest. I know that is still 9 clubs and I will try less than 9 next time. I shot 10 over par on a relatively short course and I was not stressed out on what club to use. I just grabbed the club that would take me to the green or over the green. No one approach shot was short.

There is a really good minimalist thread on here which talks about 10 clubs or less with a few hundred replies in it. but if it was for a beginner golfer rather than for someone looking for a lighter walking bag I would do the following.

Include all clubs from 7 and below in the super game improvement class. the 7 iron should be your best friend. most brand new golfers would score better if they just used the 7 as their longest clubs as they can get decent distance with out being too punished on the miss hits and having to take penalties, and make sure you get used to your average distances with each... But that is no fun so...

5 hybrid for the longer shots when you are feeling confident or have a big open space to aim at.

Deep 3 wood or mini driver with a shaft around 42/43 inches. to use of the tee only.

Putter (mallet) / SW / PW / 9 /8 / 7 / 5h / 3wd - 8 clubs

Then id add a gap wedge when you start to get confident with the SW and PW.

may be add a 6 wood when I was getting confident with the 5 hybrid.

Once you get confident with all those, you'd probably want to rethink your whole bag.

I'd also make sure you use a range finder app on your phone as half the battle is knowing how far your target is to make sure you are pulling the right club.

Because I play left-handed, I couldn't use my father's old clubs growing up. So I learned to play with 3w, 6i, SW, and putter in a canvas bag. I think it was good for me, which probably shows up most with my judgment and touch when I have to hit partial shots or shots under trees and things like that. I should probably try playing that way again just for the nostalgia.

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

I play with 9 clubs and have lowered my handicap to 3.7.

My clubs are in my sig below:

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

The 15 I have in my bag.....lol

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Love the idea some have suggested of playing in a limited-club tournament. Haven't seen such a thing around here (but I'd only play in such as a scramble so my partner(s) could hopefully pick me up when necessary). My very first round ever (as a young teen) was played solely with a 7 iron. My uncle thought the course he took me to had a lefty set for rent, but they didn't, and the only club I owned, and had brought along, was a 7. I don't recall doing particularly poorly, but I do recall my uncle not having such a great day.

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> Long thread on minimalist golf https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/932270/starting-a-new-adventure-minimalist-golf/p1

>

> For those that 'wouldn't dare step on a course without 14', are you scared you're not good enough to play with fewer clubs, or scared to admit you're not good enough? Playing with a smaller set is actually quite fun and makes you think your way around a course more rather than just pulling X club off the tee or what ever. Are you finding the game is just too easy with your 14 clubs? Usually, better players like to challenge themselves as it leads to growth rather than stagnate/generic repetetive swings (speaking more for Am's than those who play for money), tho Bubba did play an entire round with just a hybrid, but what a silly idea not playing with a full 14 club set, what on earth could he be thinking...

So are you suggesting voluntarily handicapping yourself because you can't be bothered to carry 14 clubs makes you a better golfer? I'm going to be highly sceptical of that, considering Shane Lowry didn't turn up this weekend with a half set at Portrush, and I don't recall Bubba ever teeing it up at Augusta with just a hybrid.

Anyway, if I did fancy a quick round and wanted to carry light, then I'd need:

Driver

4 iron

6 iron

8 iron

PW

54 degree wedge

Putter

Could I use that to make some shots and get close to my usual score? Sure, sounds enjoyable as a one off. But could I shoot a better score than having all 14?

Not a chance.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @mxskier said:

> I just did a fun experiment:

>

> Showed up at the range for a practice session with my fun set of blades but forgot the range closes on Monday for range maintenance. Decided to go walk the front 9 and play 2 balls, REALLY FAST (started at 7:15, sunset at 8:24). Only had 3 iron, 7-PW, 52/58. No putter. No driver. 3350 yards, Par 36 for the 9 holes.

>

> I'm playing to a 7 right now, and this was the first time out really with the blades alone. Shot 40 and 41 with the two balls. And not having a putter certainly contributed to a few 3 putts.

>

> What I learned here:

>

> I don't need Driver very much. Hit one 3 iron with a huge kick/roll about 270 down wind (410 yard par 4, had 131 to pin).

> Having a putter is huge.

> I can realistically play blades. I was able to flight a 7 iron into a 2 club wind and keep it high and land soft short of a back right pin. Then decided to play it a little farther back and hit a punching 7 iron, wound up pin high. Same club, two shots, perfect trajectory.

>

> I just may have to add a few blades to my set. Uh oh.

I’m working on learning to flight my wedges... they are blades anyway so why not? It’s a great skill to practice... I’ve picked up a ton of accuracy with shorter shots on low flight with an open stance.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Been playing with 9 or less since the beginning of the year cap has dropped a point or two, took a while to get the right gaps for the irons, still experiment with that once in a while, will be heading to myrtle beach later in august for the world am with one 9 clubs at most 10 so that should be fun. Don't be afraid to try less than 14.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Driver, hybrid, 6, 8, Pw 58...putter but can putt with the 58.

Used to have to play nine holes a week in college with one club. Sounds stupid til you try it and have to do it 50 times. It’s amazing what you can learn to do with one club. I typically would have a 7 iron and I could rope hook it 225 or soft dink cut it 110. Low, high, cut, draw even blade the heck out of it on purpose. Made you think too about the next shot...trying to leave yourself shots you know you can hit.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Sorry, but this is funny when people get their panties in a twist. We went from playing a round with less clubs to it being a 'tournament round', go from Bubba playing a round with just a hybrid (at Bushwood north of Markham), to 'Augusta'... Yes, playing with fewer clubs will make you a better player in the long run. How often are we advocating new players to rush out and get full sets with 4-5 wedges? Are Jr. sets a full 14 clubs? If not, then why are we handicapping the kids growth right from the start when 14 clubs is the only way you can play better golf. Do people all of a sudden now believe that the game is more equipment based rather than mental?

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Plus 100 if I could.

Play the way that you like. My scramble group always has concerns about me carrying 8 clubs. So I throw in 6 more. Never use them.

I did once throw in a 64 I had running around, we hit a pitch really close so I figured "try a Phil Flop"... I did, almost killed someone in a sponsor booth on a tee box behind the green...

I need to stick with my 58 wedge lol

At a minimum it’s a wood, iron, wedge, & putter. One each. I would choose 5W, 7i, SW, P.

If you want to get fancy add whichever irons-hybrids you need to hit every par 3. At my local course that would be 6i and 9i, and so could drop the 7i. I’ve done this configuration on a few occasions and generally been on the higher side of my scoring potential. Therefore I carry a full 14-club bag every time.

Next, can we talk about chipping with a 7 iron? I honestly cannot believe this is a viable pathway to a successful short game. It’s too long, difficult to manipulate trajectory, and typically not an ideal sole for escaping a variety of lies.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

> @jbrunk said:

> Next, can we talk about chipping with a 7 iron? I honestly cannot believe this is a viable pathway to a successful short game. It’s too long, difficult to manipulate trajectory, and typically not an ideal sole for escaping a variety of lies.

The 7 iron bump and run is most definitely the basis of all short game, greenside shots. It was the first shot used in links golf before the ball could be elevated significantly. (Mind you, they were using a pitching wedge, that because of the technology of the time, came out as low and hot as a modern day 7 iron chip would).

If you can't bump and run, you have no short game.

> @jbrunk said:

> Next, can we talk about chipping with a 7 iron? I honestly cannot believe this is a viable pathway to a successful short game. It’s too long, difficult to manipulate trajectory, and typically not an ideal sole for escaping a variety of lies.

The 7 certainly isn't the only club I chip with, but when short of the green with a lot of green to work with, it seems to give me the best chance of getting within reasonable putting distance. Without it, my short game would be even more pitiful (or perhaps it is a contributing factor).

If I am golfing, I have 14 clubs with me all of the time...so I guess that at a minimum I need 14.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @jordan2240 said:

> I am not a good golfer, and have resigned myself to the fact I never will be. In an effort to make the game more fun for myself and minimize the decisions I have to make during the round, I've decided to lighten the load with regard to the clubs I carry. At present, I've decided to try going with irons 4, 6, 7, and PW, my driver and mini-driver, and putter. I rarely hit a green in regulation, and don't hit my irons consistently well enough to pinpoint distances, but I do chip a lot with my 7, and find the 6 works well on the par 3s of the course I normally play, which is why I've kept both of those in. I hit the 4 decently most of the time, and also use it when I have to get back into fairways or try to roll one onto the green from under trees. The mini-driver works well as a driver and a three-wood, and the driver - well, I just can't bare to part with it no matter how inconsistent I am with that club 'cause it's just fun to try to pound one at times. In time I might change the configuration if I find it isn't working for me, but just wondering what others would play if they were to pare their bags down to the absolute fewest number of clubs they could still get around most courses with.

I would add a 5-wood, 9-iron and Sand Wedge to your set, and be done.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @rt_charger said:

> The 7 iron bump and run is most definitely the basis of all short game, greenside shots. It was the first shot used in links golf before the ball could be elevated significantly. (Mind you, they were using a pitching wedge, that because of the technology of the time, came out as low and hot as a modern day 7 iron chip would).

>

> If you can't bump and run, you have no short game.

>

> @jordan2240 said:

> The 7 certainly isn't the only club I chip with, but when short of the green with a lot of green to work with, it seems to give me the best chance of getting within reasonable putting distance. Without it, my short game would be even more pitiful (or perhaps it is a contributing factor).

>

Sure, I understand the value of a bump and run, esp. in links golf; even if I literally never have to use it. But you have to admit, its best application is when you take that one technique to all your irons for various distances. Also practicing chipping/half swings with all your irons/wedges should help improve contact & consistency on full swings.

However, we’re talking about taking clubs out of the bag to get better at golf. The minimal approach, perhaps especially for game improvement, would seem to involve learning a variety of shots with a single high bounce wedge, say a 54-56-58° sand wedge. If you’re standing in a pot bunker, deep rough, or a mound 10 ft above the green, you’re going need more than 7i and PW. And learning how to manage distance & trajectory control with a wedge through backswing length, ball position, and face angle may help you learn how to manipulate ball flight with other clubs in full swing.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> I don’t understand minimalist golf. I’d never step on a course with less than 14 clubs.

I tried it, it became very apparent that I can use all the help I can get.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I love minimalist golfing and find it doesn't really change my score at all. I just enjoy playing more with my 7-9 club bags too.

For me, the 4/6/8/P are my base iron set to which I add a sand wedge and a putter. Those are constants. The long side of my back can change up and I will select 1 or 2 options from my driver, 3 wood, and 19* hybrid depend on what I feel like playing, where I'm playing, etc. Lately I've been going driver and hybrid, though last year it was almost exclusively just a strong 3 wood.

As far as someone not understanding minimalist golf....I'm quite convinced that it's just one of those things that appeals to some people and totally doesn't appeal to others. There's no right or wrong. As soon as I started seeing people doing it it just made sense to me and I knew I wanted to play golf that way. I like carrying my soft sided Mackenzie bag with a few clubs and keeping it simple. I can't remember the last time I loaded up a full bag and have no desire to do so anymore. I'd sell my full set if it was worth enough to bother with.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Modern Minimalist, 10 club set-up, 25 yard gaps between each club: can play any course, tons of fun, focused more, and better scores! Easy to carry in the Sunday bag with a yeti full of bourbon!

Driver Srixon 565 9.5

3-wood Titleist 915 15

2H Titleist 818 h1 19

4 Utility Srixon u65

6 Srixon 565

8 Srixon 765

PW Srixon 965

52 Cleveland rtx-3

60 Cleveland rtx-3

Putter Odyssey tank versa V-line