PXG laying off workers... Any credible information? (Merged)

dxdgenert

Something that gets lost in PXG discussions is that a lot of heroes (military, first responders) get a very substantial discount to play their clubs. This spring, they were charging $95/iron for 0211’s with a free driver and putter! So while it is true that some guys are paying double to comparable products, it is also true that some are paying half.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

It seems that to be competitive in this market, a boutique company with high-priced products would have to remain lean. I have only seen one set of PXG irons on course and I live in a Florida golf community. I don't know their market share ins, but it's gotta be low. "Nobody prices golf clubs like we do".

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

• Like 2

> @dxdgenert said:

> Something that gets lost in PXG discussions is that a lot of heroes (military, first responders) get a very substantial discount to play their clubs. This spring, they were charging $95/iron for 0211’s with a free driver and putter! So while it is true that some guys are paying double to comparable products, it is also true that some are paying half.

That's wild. Wish they'd offer at least the 0211 alone for that price again, especially during the off season. The current discount brings many 2018 models into competition.

[size=1]SLDR 9.5* TP-X[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 15*[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 22*[/size]
[size=1]716 AP2 4-P S300[/size]
[size=1]50, 54, 60 SM5[/size]
[size=1]SC Squareback/size]

> @sdandrea said:

> It seems that to be competitive in this market, a boutique company with high-priced products would have to remain lean. I have only seen one set of PXG irons on course and I live in a Florida golf community. I don't know their market share ins, but it's gotta be low. "Nobody prices golf clubs like we do".

Like you I live in a golfing community / tourist mecca. I have only seen 2 sets period. One of those belongs to one of my golf buds who is a WRX quality club ho on both new and vintage stuff. The other set was some out of town tourist golfer and he had the whole works staff bag and all. From what I read at the start Bob Parsons did not set out to compete directly with the "big 3" of the golf equipment world. He wanted to do his own thing and he had the financial means to do so. I do applaud being a veteran myself ( as Mr Parsons) what he is doing for veterans and first res-ponders. I have had the opportunity to see and hit some of his clubs and frankly FOR ME they do not appeal to me in any way. Not slamming them in any way but they do not fit my eye or feel. To be completely fair a lot of the newer stuff from the big 3 does not appeal to me either. But hey it is whatever someone's cup of tea is and that is ok by me.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @TheMoneyShot said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I heard through a very good and trustworthy source that pxg is laying off employees. The number I heard was about 2 dozen. Now, I do not think they are in any kind of real financial trouble or struggling and on the way to closing. I just found it interesting.

> >

> > Getting them off the books in Q4...

>

> That’s probably it. That why I tried to say I didn’t think they were close to closing up shop.

>

> Johnny is in pretty good with them maybe he knows. Maybe this is the big announcement he has teased on his pod cast.

That is assuming their fiscal year matches the calendar year which it may not.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Is the industry as a whole on the verge of a Tiger Effect ver. 2.0 Lite?

PXG has adapted their model since their last inception, if you consider the 0211 irons. They discarded the best at all cost mantra to offer a cheaper version that still performs to their standards. There are trade offs but they have been willing to make a concession for that line. Maybe they’re considering other categories deviating from super-premium only? I’m a bit concerned about them diving headlong into apparel. I imagine the margins are very high but that seems like a fickle category that I wouldn’t enter. It’s possible that Bob is willing to take those losses to allow his wife to have a passion project.

I don't totally understand why PXG sponsors so many players on the PGA and LPGA tours if their goal is to simply be a luxury/premiere brand that only ends up in a small percentage of bags. I would think that they would be better off just slapping their logo on one or two golfers (a la Justin Rose with Honma).

On the other hand, I don't know the price tag that's associated with their club deals. It's possible that sponsoring Zach Johnson, Billy Horschel, and Lydia Ko is cheaper than affiliating with one Justin Rose.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

> @ssfranny said:

> Also Id be curious to know what part of total sales is Heroes vs Non Heroes. My guess would be Heroes is 1/3 to 1/2 of sales.

I wouldn’t think it is that high but anything is possible. It should be noted that the heroes program is also open to military/veteran’s family members.

> @WIGolf said:

> Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

>

> I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

The problem I have with pxg is that their military discount makes them about the and price as everyone else’s regular price. I think they are preying on military. If you want to give a discount, then make it better than the others. Otherwise, it’s simply lip service. You can’t tell me that for every $5000 set of irons they sell at an upscale club member that pxg can’t afford to sell a set to military for less. They are making lots of profit of their overpriced Chinese made stuff. They need to stop with the fake discounts. As a vet, it pisses me off.

• Like 2

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

> @bogeypro said:

> > @WIGolf said:

> > Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

> >

> > I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

>

>

> The problem I have with pxg is that their military discount makes them about the and price as everyone else’s regular price. I think they are preying on military. If you want to give a discount, then make it better than the others. Otherwise, it’s simply lip service. You can’t tell me that for every $5000 set of irons they sell at an upscale club member that pxg can’t afford to sell a set to military for less. They are making lots of profit of their overpriced Chinese made stuff. They need to stop with the fake discounts. As a vet, it pisses me off.

>

I paid around $900 for 4-AW with upgraded shafts after being fitted for 0211’s. C-Taper 120’s 1 degree up and a half inch extended. I was given a fitted 0811X with an PX evenflow White t1100

I loved the 0211’s. Previously played 790’s, Ping G’s, and most recently, Srixon Z545’s. Due to a change in swing speed, I wanted to get refitted and found the 0211’s to look great, feel damned good for cast, and we’re extremely forgiving despite not looking like large shovels. So when compared VS. Other brands, I couldn’t find a deal like that.

I don't think they have a sustainable business model and will not survive long-term. Any near-term layoffs may or may not be related, but you can't charge what they do without offerrng a performance gain.

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

> @Foreleft said:

> No one makes pink slips like we do. PERIOD.

>

> Thought this guy was supposed to be so loaded that he could run this company for a century at a loss and never notice it?

I don’t think PXG is in any financial trouble. I bet Parsons hires people just so he can fire them. Rich people tend to have eclectic hobbies like that.

• Like 2

Never considered their equipment. Can’t find it anywhere, looks awful, too expensive.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @ssfranny said:

> Yeah theyve jumped pretty hard into apparel. Had a ad on Times Square for the new clothing line. All the stuff is pricey. Maybe some of the focus is devIating from the golf equipment to clothing.

Their apparel sells out pretty quickly whether it was the Peter Millar stuff or the new stuff which is done by the Nike apparel folks hired. How many brands can say they sell out every release?

> @bogeypro said:

> > @WIGolf said:

> > Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

> >

> > I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

>

>

> The problem I have with pxg is that their military discount makes them about the and price as everyone else’s regular price. I think they are preying on military. If you want to give a discount, then make it better than the others. Otherwise, it’s simply lip service. You can’t tell me that for every $5000 set of irons they sell at an upscale club member that pxg can’t afford to sell a set to military for less. They are making lots of profit of their overpriced Chinese made stuff. They need to stop with the fake discounts. As a vet, it pisses me off.

>

As a vet I don’t thing they are preying on the military. It’s giving military and vets the chance to buy a premium product at a regular price. They offer their latest stuff now which is even better. When I bought my set I debated between gen 1 at a discount or gen2 full price. I went gen2 full price. The heroes program has been a huge success and would indicate the number of active duty, vets, first responders who think they are being preyed on is very small.

• Like 1

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @ssfranny said:

> > Yeah theyve jumped pretty hard into apparel. Had a ad on Times Square for the new clothing line. All the stuff is pricey. Maybe some of the focus is devIating from the golf equipment to clothing.

>

> Their apparel sells out pretty quickly whether it was the Peter Millar stuff or the new stuff which is done by the Nike apparel folks hired. How many brands can say they sell out every release?

>

> > @bogeypro said:

> > > @WIGolf said:

> > > Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

> > >

> > > I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

> >

> >

> > The problem I have with pxg is that their military discount makes them about the and price as everyone else’s regular price. I think they are preying on military. If you want to give a discount, then make it better than the others. Otherwise, it’s simply lip service. You can’t tell me that for every $5000 set of irons they sell at an upscale club member that pxg can’t afford to sell a set to military for less. They are making lots of profit of their overpriced Chinese made stuff. They need to stop with the fake discounts. As a vet, it pisses me off.

> >

>

> As a vet I don’t thing they are preying on the military. It’s giving military and vets the chance to buy a premium product at a regular price. They offer their latest stuff now which is even better. When I bought my set I debated between gen 1 at a discount or gen2 full price. I went gen2 full price. The heroes program has been a huge success and would indicate the number of active duty, vets, first responders who think they are being preyed on is very small.

Those other appearl companies also do likely how much more business? Who cares about selling out when its like 1% compared to the big boys... No different than assuming their product is actually 'premium' vs. over priced Pings with screws.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

> @bogeypro said:

> > @WIGolf said:

> >

>

>

>

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. If you look at the Heroes Program as getting the 0211 irons ($875 4-G) for the price of the TaylorMade P790 ($1100 4-A) or PING i500 ($1300 4-U), you are missing the point and you are incorrect. The 0211's irons start out at $225 retail ($1575 4-G) and are hero priced at $125 (as low as $95 within the last 8 weeks). That is a massive 45% savings that heroes get over the general public. If you want to argue that John Q. Public is being preyed upon, go ahead and take a number, that is what everyone else is implying too. Now factor in that the heroes were getting a free putter AND/or driver for that price (depending on the sale this past spring)! It was such a sweet program that most folks were buying the package, flipping the irons for profit and getting a free driver and putter. Heck, some were flipping all three and making $500-700. Preyed upon? I don't think so.

Now they even offer hero pricing on ALL clubs. New Gen 2 irons are $295, down from $400 (almost 30% discount).

I get the PXG hate. I don't agree but I get it. However, their military support, in my opinion, is beyond reproach.

• Like 1

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @bogeypro said:

> > > @WIGolf said:

> > > Regarding The Who PXG is targeting: I don’t think it’s ever been their goal to be in so many bags. They’ve always marketed themselves as a top tier luxury brand IMO. People also discount the sheer amount of .mil and first responders that golf.

> > >

> > > I remember golfing with my grandpa at wright Patterson air base golf course as a kid and there was always tons of vets out. Now as a first responder, I go to a good amount of charity outings chock full of people who qualify for PXG’s discount. Me personally? I couldn’t afford PXG at retail cost. With their first responder discount? I have a set of 0211’s in my bag with an 0811X driver. The clubs have been fantastic and the fitting experience was excellent. They do a great job. Once you get past some of the cheesy marketing stuff, it’s all on the up and I’m grateful for what they did for me and a bunch of my guys.

> >

> >

> > The problem I have with pxg is that their military discount makes them about the and price as everyone else’s regular price. I think they are preying on military. If you want to give a discount, then make it better than the others. Otherwise, it’s simply lip service. You can’t tell me that for every $5000 set of irons they sell at an upscale club member that pxg can’t afford to sell a set to military for less. They are making lots of profit of their overpriced Chinese made stuff. They need to stop with the fake discounts. As a vet, it pisses me off.

> >

>

> First and foremost, thank you for your service.

>

> I'm not sure what you are getting at. If you look at the Heroes Program as getting the 0211 irons ($875 4-G) for the price of the TaylorMade P790 ($1100 4-A) or PING i500 ($1300 4-U), you are missing the point and you are incorrect. The 0211's irons start out at $225 retail ($1575 4-G) and are hero priced at $125 (as low as $95 within the last 8 weeks). That is a massive 45% savings that heroes get over the general public. If you want to argue that John Q. Public is being preyed upon, go ahead and take a number, that is what everyone else is implying too. Now factor in that the heroes were getting a free putter AND/or driver for that price (depending on the sale this past spring)! It was such a sweet program that most folks were buying the package, flipping the irons for profit and getting a free driver and putter. Heck, some were flipping all three and making $500-700. Preyed upon? I don't think so.

>

> Now they even offer hero pricing on ALL clubs. New Gen 2 irons are $295, down from $400 (almost 30% discount).

>

> I get the PXG hate. I don't agree but I get it. However, their military support, in my opinion, is beyond reproach.

Yes no one can dispute the Heroes program as being great for military.