10 Handicap and Up...What irons do you use? Blades, CBs, GIs?

theothertwo

In rough fittings I generally chart out well in GI irons with lighter shafts (sub-100 grams steel).
For eight seasons I played Callaway X20 Tours. After four seasons I reshafted from PX 5.0 (Rifle flighted) to lighter NS Pro 8950GH - Regular. Heads were CB.
Now I have the CB Pro Tungsten irons in KBS Tour 90 Regular shafts (~100 grams). Heads are hollow.
A complicating factor: I need to switch to graphite shafts in irons. Lately I have found graphite iron shafts that feel solid, but are still lighter than current steel. The Recoil family, the Ping Alta CB and the Catalysts (stock in some Callaway iron models) have caught my eye.
And, I noticed the strange line from @agolf1: "Contrary to popular belief, most double digits HCs do not have a consistent swing (whether different clubs make a material difference in the shots is up for debate."
Not sure who shares this "popular belief", but consistency is a matter of degrees. It's pretty well known that single digits have a more consistent swing than those who struggle to break 90. Not sure what you're trying to say, but I don't buy the fallacy that "clubs don't make a difference."
If a person is a beginner with no real idea of how to swing a club, a detailed fitting won't help much. More than once I've been in a golf shop and heard the fitter tell the golfer to "get a lesson and come back another day. You're too inconsistent to fit."
But, a person who struggles to break 90 but has had some lessons and practices/plays occasionally can benefit from fittings. For example, a golfer says he has control problems. The fitter sees he has 92 MPH clubhead speed with driver, but has A-flex shafts. A heavier, firmer shaft will help his control. A-flex is wrong for his swing.
Further, consistent swing flaws can be helped with the proper club. For example, if a person can't quite square up the driver at impact, and offset head can help him do so. Hence the Ping SFT (straight flight technology) long clubs.
As for irons, to use effectively the iconic Players club - the blade - a person needs to have consistent ball-striking and decent clubhead speed. GI/SGI can help the average golfer manage mishits. Counter to the fallacy TaylorMade promoted in marketing the RSi iron series, GI and SGI won't salvage a shot from a really terrible swing. But GI/SGI can help get a less-than-perfect shot somewhere near the green.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm an 11.5, play a combo set of Titleist 718 AP3 (3-5) and AP2 (6-PW).

• Like 1

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Iron Head https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-components/shafts/graphite-golf-shafts/mcs-graphite/mcs-75-graphite-iron-blue.html

I made my own set of irons with the components attached above. To me, it is easy as pie and so much less expensive. Also, I make my irons to the exact specs I like. I think people get intimidated with the thought of making your own irons but it is really not that difficult.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter. I just came to grips that I suck at golf and need to keep my day job. So I sold the expensive shit and went back to my original set from the 90s. Same misses, same good shots, same scores. Ended up with a nice rifle and a couple pistols from the sell-off.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

need to check out Wilson products...

TaylorMade Stealth HD Driver 10.5* 
Taylor Made Stealth 2 3HL Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Speed 7 Wood 21*
Callaway Epic Super 5 Hybrid 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 48/10, 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I'm a 10 and it depends which way the wind is blowing on what I'm playing. I played G410's last year all season and played very well with them. For a bigger iron they looked very nice behind the ball. This year I got fitted for a new set of Wilson Staff blades 6-PW. I haven't played longer irons for years. I can hit them but not with the consistency of hybrids. My short game suffers with large soled irons and yes I know it's a swing flaw. My game is just better from 100 yards in with a blade and since I play forward tee's many of my second shots are 150 or less on par 4's. Who knows what I'll be playing next year. I just play what I like.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

23hc: Srixon Z355. Though some reviewers call them sgi, most call them gi. Certainly thinner topline and a bit less forgiving than my previous sgi clubs.

• Like 1

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

My last three sets...and you can see how infrequently I re-equip--have been Titleist Pro 100s. Titleist DCI 962s, and now Titleist T100s.

I still have them all.

All are cavity backs but not super GI.

I was still an 8 or 9 when I played the Pro 100s and (at first) the DCI 962s.

I can't play at that level anymore, partly because I'm older and partly because I just play and never practice.

But I haven't played blades since cavity backs became popular in the 70s.

It could just be in my head, though. I never took sides in the cavity vs. blade debates.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Currently a 12.8, been playing some Cobra F6's for couple years. Hoeing days are behind me, rather spend the money golfing then buying clubs. Still buy way more golf balls then I need, helps with the fix. Since I settled on these my HC has gone from a 17-18 to what it is now.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Playing off of 12 here and game a combo set of Z545/745's which have been hard to get out of the bag. Currently building up a set of T200's so we'll see how they compare very soon.

• Like 1

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                    G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W GD Tour AD XC 5R                           Gen6P 3W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6XF 4H/5H/6H GD Tour AD HY 65R.          Fli-Hi Hybrid 23*/26* GD Tour AD HY 65R

P770 '23 7-AW C-Taper LIte 105R                     P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

MG4 55/59 TW C-Taper Lite 105R                    SM9 55S/59T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Heavy                                                    Kevin Burns 9304

Ernie Els used the 745s to win last week. I have the Z545 driver, 4 wood and hybrid models and they are great. Never tried the irons but have heard great things about them.

TaylorMade Stealth HD Driver 10.5* 
Taylor Made Stealth 2 3HL Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Speed 7 Wood 21*
Callaway Epic Super 5 Hybrid 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 48/10, 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I just got fitted for a set of P790's. I play them in a TI S400 shaft. Not sure if I'm going to stay with them long term though.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S - Ventus Black 7X

Cobra F9 - Ventus Black 8X

Ping Rapture Driving Iron - Ventus Black 9TX

Srixon ZU85 (4) - Tour AD 105X

Srixon ZX7 - (5-AW) - LAGP L Series Stiff

Callaway 2019 PM Grind (54&58) - LAGP L Series WV

Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2010 - LAGP 135

I'm a bit unusual. Biggest issue for me is I can't swing very well due to oblique muscle issues so have lost tremendous amounts of distance. Depending upon the course and tees, I'm anywhere from a 8 to a 20 handicap. Was below 10 and usually near 4-5 when healthy before arthritis and oblique issues (to the point that I can't walk sometimes more than 5-15 feet at all and can't turn more than about 5 degrees if lucky). Try getting any swing speed with minimal turn.

That said, I am still playing a set of 2003 Miura Tour Blades. Changed from Mitsubishi shafts to aeroflex steel fiber 70s a few years back (regular flex). Took me more time to adjust to the Aeroflex shafts than it took me to adjust to the blades. My shafts still seem moderately stiff but the tips are very flexible. Rest of shaft feels very boardy.

I have thought about Ping G410 or the srixon 787s but just not sure. Would love more distance but not sure that any of these would provide the feel and smoothness of the Miuras. And remember due to right oblique issues I cannot turn at all (very very serious pain if I forget and do turn too much). People ask if I'm ok if i forget and turn too much. I've thought several times about getting fitted with some SGIs to see if that would help with distance issues but at my age (mid 70s), I'm not sure that without serious expense that I can get anything that would be much of an improvement. Have Taylor Made R7 customized with weights and shafts that I still hit as far as all the newer clubs. Haven't tried this years yet but thru last years, I was still hitting the r7 as far as anything I had tried and I tried everything i could get my hands on, including all TM, Titileist, Mizuno, Bridgestone and Callaway with nothing as good and definitely not better than the existing r7 customized. I've spent many hours testing drivers with such minimal distance that i'm just a bit hesitant about spending the same amount of time on irons for what good. And I still love my miura's.

• Like 1

God bless you for hanging in with your golf game. It can't be easy for you, but you should be applauded for continuing to play and look for ways to improve your game. I'm 72 and have some arthritis in my right knee and right hip and a compressed disk in my back, but that hasn't stopped me yet. It's just too much fun. My only regret is that I didn't start playing till I was 67.

• Like 1

Interesting to read that so many here that don't typically break 80 are using the same clubs as PGA tour pro's. Guess I'm just a grump but I don't view my game in the same light.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"