2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

10 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I'm the same, do not get on with X100 but love S400. Fan of both the constant and parallel descending weight variety. 

I'm 58, the lingering doubts about "heavy" abound but my thing is to try to make the club feel light throughout the swing. Where age is getting me is last 6 holes, I'm out of shape, need to hit the gym or a Zumba class, lol. Put on 15 lbs in last year, it shows on more than just at the gut. " Worthless & weak", lol.

Light throughout the swing. Exactly!

But there's also a point where it becomes too light and I can't feel a thing.

I have some pretty stout graphite shafts in my MP-4s, and they feel about right weight-wise. The Mac MTs with X100 at 0.5" over standard were just too heavy for me. I could feel it after 10 minutes of practice time with them.

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Oh, now they really are in good condition. I couldn't really tell just how nice they were from your previous pictures.

@Joe S knows what he's talking about regarding prices, so I think that gives you a good baseline.

Have you tried the old soap, warm water, scrubbing brush and elbow grease on the grips, or are they even beyond that?

I just did that this morning and the grips really ain't bad at all. Not what I call fresh but they aren't falling apart and are playable.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I just did that this morning and the grips really ain't bad at all. Not what I call fresh but they aren't falling apart and are playable.

👍

I'd keep them on, and let the buyer decide what to do with them.

Recently, I've taken to wrapping knackered grips with tennis grip wrap, not to preserve the original grip but because it's cheaper and produces a nice thickness that I like. 

It doesn't look fancy, but if they're old clubs I'm just looking to play, it's a good solution.

3 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

👍

I'd keep them on, and let the buyer decide what to do with them.

Recently, I've taken to wrapping knackered grips with tennis grip wrap, not to preserve the original grip but because it's cheaper and produces a nice thickness that I like. 

It doesn't look fancy, but if they're old clubs I'm just looking to play, it's a good solution.

Yea, I'm not touching them. These things are pretty damn nice. Just getting ready to list them on BST. I think my asking price is fair for the condition they're in. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:39 AM, braincramp52 said:

Yea, I'm not touching them. These things are pretty damn nice. Just getting ready to list them on BST. I think my asking price is fair for the condition they're in. 

Those went fast.  Good to see.  I've never sold on BST, but it looks like it might be a better place to sell the good stuff than ebay.  My set is identical, except for the original grips.  You've got me thinking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe S said:

Those went fast.  Good to see.  I've never sold on BST, but it looks like it might be a better place to sell the good stuff than ebay.  My set is identical, except for the original grips.  You've got me thinking.

Well, because I bought them. They were seen by plenty, then the price was dropped, so it was easy to take pity and give them a home, lol. I now have 2 sets of 99's, a set of Redline Ft Worth's and '73 Apex. The '93 Ft Worth's look very similar to these so pretty sure I'll like this set too.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Well, because I bought them. They were seen by plenty, then the price was dropped, so it was easy to take pity and give them a home, lol. I now have 2 sets of 99's, a set of Redline Ft Worth's and '73 Apex. The '93 Ft Worth's look very similar to these so pretty sure I'll like this set too.

These are without a doubt one of the best Hogan Apex's.  You get the full blade experience.  Ultra thin topline, very compact blade, almost no offset and yet somehow friendly to hit.  Great sole design too.

Word of warning, if you try to regrip them, the butt diameter of the Legend shaft is wider than standard and they are a real challenge to get a standard grip on.  It will also cause a standard grip to feel a little thicker.  But I'm sure you want to keep the original grips anyway.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe S said:

These are without a doubt one of the best Hogan Apex's.  You get the full blade experience.  Ultra thin topline, very compact blade, almost no offset and yet somehow friendly to hit.  Great sole design too.

Word of warning, if you try to regrip them, the butt diameter of the Legend shaft is wider than standard and they are a real challenge to get a standard grip on.  It will also cause a standard grip to feel a little thicker.  But I'm sure you want to keep the original grips anyway.  

Thanks, good info. Chances are I don't touch the grips but if I did it would be period correct leather. I'm easy on my grips, I still possess OEM on several sets including the 681's which get a ton of range hits and also my '99 Apex which I carried for 3 years.

7 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Thanks, good info. Chances are I don't touch the grips but if I did it would be period correct leather. I'm easy on my grips, I still possess OEM on several sets including the 681's which get a ton of range hits and also my '99 Apex which I carried for 3 years.

I just did a one time soapy water clean up on them and they were vastly improved. I think the ferrules will clean up real nice too with a little acetone.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

1 hour ago, erikro said:

On a whim I ordered TM P7MBs and Tiger wedges today......because.....well why not?

Haven't had the chance to hit the P7 MB's yes so let us know how they go

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I did it boys. Had to grab a set of MP-68s off Ebay (mildy buzzed...teetering on drunk) for a good price. Only thing is that the shafts are dynalite s300s. Hate em. There is always room for change but I gotta get the lofts and lies corrected. These were anywhere from 3º weak to 2º strong. Wild wild wild. And all 2º upright. 

Stoked to be back in the pack. The Eye2 experiment was cool but, my eyes can't stand that offset and that fat top line and that ugly look etc. etc. etc. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stanks said:

I did it boys. Had to grab a set of MP-68s off Ebay (mildy buzzed...teetering on drunk) for a good price. Only thing is that the shafts are dynalite s300s. Hate em. There is always room for change but I gotta get the lofts and lies corrected. These were anywhere from 3º weak to 2º strong. Wild wild wild. And all 2º upright. 

Stoked to be back in the pack. The Eye2 experiment was cool but, my eyes can't stand that offset and that fat top line and that ugly look etc. etc. etc. 

There is a 6 iron I'm thinking about getting to try. I like the look of the 68, very nice.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

35 minutes ago, Stanks said:

68's were my gateway to the world of blades. First blade set I owned and got me hooked. Hopefully they bring you the success and satisfaction they gave me!

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

MP-68's have been my gamers this season.  They will get switched out for MP-20's whenever they arrive, but I'd have no problem continuing to play them.  Fantastic sticks. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Posted this on the JDM thread, but I think y'all might dig it to. I was looking at blanks and other head only sets and found these. Looks to be the right handed version of my BGD's (and 3x more).

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/yururi-mh-1112-forged-iron-4-pw-heads-only.html

Screenshot_20210603-064543.png

right-handed-club-1 (1).png

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Got my son's 620 MBs reshafted with PX 6.5 hard stepped once and ready to go quickly.  Qualified for the men's state am with them.  Had to get them bent 2 degrees strong from standard and 1 flat for him.  He is loving them.

One of the best looking MB's out there at the moment for sure

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

On 6/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, lefthack said:

Posted this on the JDM thread, but I think y'all might dig it to. I was looking at blanks and other head only sets and found these. Looks to be the right handed version of my BGD's (and 3x more).

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/yururi-mh-1112-forged-iron-4-pw-heads-only.html

Screenshot_20210603-064543.png

right-handed-club-1 (1).png

Not exactly a blade.

The shape looks remarkably similar to the MR23 CB that I regularly play. Would love to see looking down.

Probably hit really nice.

Vega? I tried search and it was all Vegas. These look good, $550 for a set.

blade-lh-satin.jpg

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

20 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Another new (old) set of sticks arrived. It's always a kick to see the condition they come in after buying on line. The shop put them at B-. I look at the faces and there is hardly a mark. They look like they've never been taken out on the course and for a club that Tiger Woods played in his teens.

The finish is similar to the Miz Super 11, Dunlop DP 601, Bridgestone Proisme and a few other really high end clubs from the early-mid 90's. I've never seen any like that with the Advisors. They come with some sort of gold-hued proprietary steel shaft too.

Woods said he liked them because of the longer blade. I wouldn't call them all that long. Comfortable, definitely. Can't wait to give them a little go.

Oh, and I forgot to mention these are cast carbon steel.

I bet they are really nice.

Image(13).jpeg

Image(16).jpeg

Is that an aftermarket finish? They look really, really clean.

I'm trying to shed iron sets at the moment. I want to get down to 10~12 sets this year.

I'm glad I didn't see those irons, because I would have been highly tempted, but I really don't need to be buying any more irons right now.

18 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Is that an aftermarket finish? They look really, really clean.

I'm trying to shed iron sets at the moment. I want to get down to 10~12 sets this year.

I'm glad I didn't see those irons, because I would have been highly tempted, but I really don't need to be buying any more irons right now.

They are really really nice to look at... I might put these up in the classics forum to see if anyone has come across them. 

As I said, they've been around a long time. These are the earlier of the DG-273 models.The later one's don't say designed by David Graham because he said daiwa stopped paying him... 

Anyway, the 6-iron has a little nick on the underside of the hosel and it looks like they even have copper under the chrome. 

It's funny. I know I have to get it down to 10 now... I was trying to do a mental inventory:

Right now it's

4 (sets of) Daiwa

5 Hogan

2 Yamaha

6 Bridgestone / Tourstage

4 Dunlop / Maxfli

5 Mizuno

1 TM

2 Founders Club

1 Ping 

1 Haig Ultra

2 Macgregor

1 Sounder

3 Maruman Conductor

That's gotta be close to all of them. 37

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Vega? I tried search and it was all Vegas. These look good, $550 for a set.

blade-lh-satin.jpg

Only ever played the wedges, they were spin machines and felt like butter 

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

They are Kyoei forged, so they can't totally suck. I just get excited when I see lefties. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

They are really really nice to look at... I might put these up in the classics forum to see if anyone has come across them. 

As I said, they've been around a long time. These are the earlier of the DG-273 models.The later one's don't say designed by David Graham because he said daiwa stopped paying him... 

Anyway, the 6-iron has a little nick on the underside of the hosel and it looks like they even have copper under the chrome. 

It's funny. I know I have to get it down to 10 now... I was trying to do a mental inventory:

Right now it's

4 (sets of) Daiwa

5 Hogan

2 Yamaha

6 Bridgestone / Tourstage

4 Dunlop / Maxfli

5 Mizuno

1 TM

2 Founders Club

1 Ping 

1 Haig Ultra

2 Macgregor

1 Sounder

3 Maruman Conductor

That's gotta be close to all of them. 37

When I hit 20 sets, I started to think maybe I had too many. At 25, I began applying the brakes. I managed to pull it back before when I reached 30.

Now I have:

8 Mizunos (will be selling two, maybe three)

5 MacGregors (will be selling two, maybe three, and I have one problem set here that I don't know what to do with)

4 Wilsons (will be selling one)

Two RAM (will be selling one)

One Srixon

One TM

One Maruman (will be selling)

One Hogan (will be selling)

One Golfcraft (will be selling or trashing)

One Honma (will be selling)

One Ping (will be selling)

One Baldo (will be selling)

One Masda (heads only; will be selling)

Then there are the odd assorted long irons and wedges, and a few fairway woods. I've a few persimmons that I don't use, mostly drivers, that I might try to sell as well.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

When I hit 20 sets, I started to think maybe I had too many. At 25, I began applying the brakes. I managed to pull it back before when I reached 30.

Now I have:

8 Mizunos (will be selling two, maybe three)

5 MacGregors (will be selling two, maybe three, and I have one problem set here that I don't know what to do with)

4 Wilsons (will be selling one)

Two RAM (will be selling one)

One Srixon

One TM

One Maruman (will be selling)

One Hogan (will be selling)

One Golfcraft (will be selling or trashing)

One Honma (will be selling)

One Ping (will be selling)

One Baldo (will be selling)

One Masda (heads only; will be selling)

Then there are the odd assorted long irons and wedges, and a few fairway woods. I've a few persimmons that I don't use, mostly drivers, that I might try to sell as well.

You're a sick sick man.😂 In a good way.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Had an interesting experience over the weekend, and though it's only blade related because they were the irons in my bag, I'm sharing anyway....

Played a two day event this past weekend, where your ringer score for the two rounds is used.  I've been playing my Original One as my main tee club, and had been hitting it pretty well, but over the last couple weeks, it's been misbehaving.  Finally got to the point I felt I had to do something, and out came the King LTD with the ProtoPype shaft.

And it was more of the same.  Overcooked draws and hooks.  Finally had an iron shot that revealed the issue; my tempo had been getting marginally worse and worse, to the point I hit a gawd-awful smothered 3i, and the light bulb went on over my head.

I backed off the tempo and things were muy bueno.  

The other thing....   I've been cutting my backswing short.  I've mentioned it from time to time, but I really have a Daly-like backswing, going well past parallel.  When I don't do it, things go wrong.  I re-embraced my inner Daly Lite, let my backswing go as I have for over 20 years, and ball started flying straighter.  Even regained a bit of the length I've lost from last season, though not all of it.

I was playing with a couple guys who are younger, and generally longer, one of them more so.  With my return to my older swing, off the tee, I was almost keeping up with the younger guys.  Felt pretty good about that.  😊

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

57 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Had an interesting experience over the weekend, and though it's only blade related because they were the irons in my bag, I'm sharing anyway....

Played a two day event this past weekend, where your ringer score for the two rounds is used.  I've been playing my Original One as my main tee club, and had been hitting it pretty well, but over the last couple weeks, it's been misbehaving.  Finally got to the point I felt I had to do something, and out came the King LTD with the ProtoPype shaft.

And it was more of the same.  Overcooked draws and hooks.  Finally had an iron shot that revealed the issue; my tempo had been getting marginally worse and worse, to the point I hit a gawd-awful smothered 3i, and the light bulb went on over my head.

I backed off the tempo and things were muy bueno.  

The other thing....   I've been cutting my backswing short.  I've mentioned it from time to time, but I really have a Daly-like backswing, going well past parallel.  When I don't do it, things go wrong.  I re-embraced my inner Daly Lite, let my backswing go as I have for over 20 years, and ball started flying straighter.  Even regained a bit of the length I've lost from last season, though not all of it.

I was playing with a couple guys who are younger, and generally longer, one of them more so.  With my return to my older swing, off the tee, I was almost keeping up with the younger guys.  Felt pretty good about that.  😊

I tried for years to shorten my swing and like you, things get sideways quick when I deviate from my natural tempo and swing.

Edited by justasgood
  • Like 2

I'm trying to see if these are available in lefty. Not sure what I would do for a logo, maybe just "Beer" or something? No idea. 🤣

1623082367480.png

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW