SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I say stick with the convention everyone else is using - MTB-X. A cheezy name might discourage some people from using it.

Just having fun. I am sure a name is already picked. Besides there is nothing definitive about the construction or performance benefits. I didn't realize calling a ball Get Sum and My Tour Ball is the convention.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

I'd like to try some but I can't justify spending $30 a dozen when you can buy several other tour balls for $5-$10 cheaper.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I received a very nice Amazon gift certificate for my birthday yesterday. Spent it on 3dz Snell MTBs.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I'd like to try some but I can't justify spending $30 a dozen when you can buy several other tour balls for $5-$10 cheaper.

Your signature says you use the Z-Star XV. That is a $40/dz ball. What other current tour caliber balls are you referring to that are $5-$10 cheaper? Ksigs are out of stock and may never come back; I've tried the Q-Star Tour and that doesn't match up. The OnCore Elixir is a pretty good ball but that is going for $40/dz. Granted, I haven't tried Cut golf balls - that may be the only one cheaper on a regular basis that would come close to Snell MTB performance. Vice balls can be had cheaper if you buy multiple dozens but so can the Snell balls.

I paid less than $25 a dozen for my current B330s, the previous Z-Star XV, and previous TP red. Right now there are Bridgestone, Wilson, Callaway, Taylormade, Srixion, Maxfli U6 all can be had for less than the Snell. Retail price the Snell is a good deal but most don't pay retail and can grab some great deals out there.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

6 dozen for $158 is a good deal and I know the Snell ball is great because of Dean Snell's history. I'd love to trade a dozen B330s or even a sleeve to try them and see what the hype is about.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

I see people make comments all of the time saying I can get this or that tour ball cheaper than Snell MTBs. I don't play the MTB for price alone. I appreciate Dean;s business model where he is able to pass on savings to the end user by cutting out the middle man. I play the MTB because it's the ball that I like best. I purchased some B330s on sale recently which I played prior to the Snell. Still a great ball, but I sold the remaining two dozen and went right back to the MTB. If price is what matters most to some then so be it, but please don't make the argument about some other tour ball being cheaper as if to imply that the Snell ball is inferior because it is not.

I see people make comments all of the time saying I can get this or that tour ball cheaper than Snell MTBs. I don't play the MTB for price alone. I appreciate Dean;s business model where he is able to pass on savings to the end user by cutting out the middle man. I play the MTB because it's the ball that I like best. I purchased some B330s on sale recently which I played prior to the Snell. Still a great ball, but I sold the remaining two dozen and went right back to the MTB. If price is what matters most to some then so be it, but please don't make the argument about some other tour ball being cheaper as if to imply that the Snell ball is inferior because it is not.

Great post, I wish more people voted with their wallets like you are. I give Dean credit for coming on here and defending his brand and communicating with his customers. I wasn't a fan of Dean for his posts regarding the KSig, but I have been impressed with his interactions with the community here since and decided to give the MTB a chance. The MTB is a great ball and I will be following his thread to see what he's going to release next.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Snell is not inferior, I would gladly pay $26 per dozen when buying 6. However I have a bunch of other tour balls I did get for less than $20 a dozen I have to burn through and they all perform extremely well. XV, U/6, Plats, TP all perform on par with Snell. I agree I love the Snell business model and would like to spend my money on that market just for that reason

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Good post. No, Great post!!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Correctamundo.

Good grief guys, there was nothing in Pi5Seekers post that even came remotely close to implying the Snell ball was inferior in any way. rainkingjr pulled the "inferior" perception out of thin air. As a matter of fact, his subsequent post was only positive concerning the quality of the ball.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

Good grief guys, there was nothing in Pi5Seekers post that even came remotely close to implying the Snell ball was inferior in any way. rainkingjr pulled the "inferior" perception out of thin air. As a matter of fact, his subsequent post was only positive concerning the quality of the ball.

Agreed. This isn't some CallyWRX thread where people need to combine defensiveness with smoke blowing ;)

It was an objectively accurate statement. There are loads of ball deals out there, that's all the guy referenced.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I don't think rainkingjr was directing his post at seeker and I certainly didn't read any hostility into it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I don't think rainkingjr was directing his post at seeker and I certainly didn't read any hostility into it.

You're right. He didn't quote his post. If I'm out of line on this rainkingjr, sorry bout that.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I'd love to trade some B330s to try to MTB. Dean Snell made the TP Red that I played for 3 seasons including some of my best golf.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

really enjoying the mtb so far. I feel its slightly longer than the prov1x off the driver. the real difference around the greens is that the prov1x "feels" heavier, as if the ball sticks to the clubface with chip and putts a hair longer. I actually prefer the snell because I have less fear of a chip shot grabbing unexpectedly around the greens.

I hope the new proto ball has less spin with the short irons and around the greens. I'm just not a fan of trying to predict when the ball will check up or spin back unexpectedly.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Interesting discussion. I recently played a TP5x and liked it. My approach shots, however, were different than with the MTB. With the TP5x they went really high, like straight up. The ball stopped right where it landed on the green because it was coming straight down. It was really kind of funny to watch. The MTB and TP5x were very similar off the driver. I felt like I could play a little better with the MTB due to the slightly lower trajectory with the irons. That, and given the price, it's a no-brainer for me. My game, recently, has been in a lot of flux and only recently did I start trying to play these more pro-like balls. It's been interesting. I lean toward the Snell balls, all things considered, if I'm trying to score well. When not keeping score but drinking beer I'm enjoying hitting different stuff I have laying around: Wilson 50, Project a, Taylormade Distance+, whatever.

Interesting discussion. I recently played a TP5x and liked it. My approach shots, however, were different than with the MTB. With the TP5x they went really high, like straight up. The ball stopped right where it landed on the green because it was coming straight down. It was really kind of funny to watch. The MTB and TP5x were very similar off the driver. I felt like I could play a little better with the MTB due to the slightly lower trajectory with the irons. That, and given the price, it's a no-brainer for me. My game, recently, has been in a lot of flux and only recently did I start trying to play these more pro-like balls. It's been interesting. I lean toward the Snell balls, all things considered, if I'm trying to score well. When not keeping score but drinking beer I'm enjoying hitting different stuff I have laying around: Wilson 50, Project a, Taylormade Distance+, whatever.

If you're game is suffering try a beer every other hole. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72