2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... LOL thanks for the reminder, but Pace has changed that trend with Floyd, Trubisky and Smith. That said they won't be giving up top 15 picks or hopefully even top 25 picks in 2019/20. I was telling the Mrs the Bears don't need a 1st round pick anywhere on the team as every position is pretty solid right now, something they have not had in a long time. Trading those two picks for Mack was just a no brainier. Sure they can use some depth at quite a few spots but that can be addressed in the 2nd and later rounds.

Better be a top-15 2019 or 2020 pick to give up or it means the trade didn't help the Bears improve

... You have that backwards. Bears would love to be giving up two 32nd picks in the first round. The higher the pick, the worst the Bears performed.

It’s an interesting move by the Bears because it shows they think highly enough of Trubisky that on offense they can build around him while on D they can build around Mack and hopefully Smith. I’ve seen zero evidence that Mitch can play a lick, but I’m not in practice and I’m not the one who gave up so much to pick him. Talent-wise, they’re probably the 8th or 9th best team in the NFC right now, but there’s a lot of parity in that conference and a top tier defense can mask some offensive struggles, at least early in the season.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

... LOL thanks for the reminder, but Pace has changed that trend with Floyd, Trubisky and Smith. That said they won't be giving up top 15 picks or hopefully even top 25 picks in 2019/20. I was telling the Mrs the Bears don't need a 1st round pick anywhere on the team as every position is pretty solid right now, something they have not had in a long time. Trading those two picks for Mack was just a no brainier. Sure they can use some depth at quite a few spots but that can be addressed in the 2nd and later rounds.

Better be a top-15 2019 or 2020 pick to give up or it means the trade didn't help the Bears improve

... You have that backwards. Bears would love to be giving up two 32nd picks in the first round. The higher the pick, the worst the Bears performed.

It's an interesting move by the Bears because it shows they think highly enough of Trubisky that on offense they can build around him while on D they can build around Mack and hopefully Smith. I've seen zero evidence that Mitch can play a lick, but I'm not in practice and I'm not the one who gave up so much to pick him. Talent-wise, they're probably the 8th or 9th best team in the NFC right now, but there's a lot of parity in that conference and a top tier defense can mask some offensive struggles, at least early in the season.

... You must not have been watching the last 2 years. I played QB from 2nd grade thru college and Trubisky is the best I have seen in Chicago and by a wide margin. The one thing you cannot teach and usually not improve moving from college to the NFL is accuracy and Mitch is one of the most accurate QB's I have ever seen, going back to his NC days. With Fox's shackles off, I expect a HUGE leap in 2018 from Mitch with the addition of Gabrial, Burton, Robinson along with Miller and Wims. This is the best receiving team the Bears have had and no other year even comes close. I even piked up Trubisky in my FF league. : )

... I don't agree with your talent assessment as they may have the best defense in the NFC with the addition of Smith and Mack and Fangio as their HC, the only downside is their depth. Hicks, Mack, Floyd, Goldman and any CB's and Safeties have nobody behind them anywhere near their ability.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I only played 9, so maybe the back was better. But what about 2-8 is exciting? All of the holes on the front are basically just hit it straight twice and putt it, 6 and 7 were the only 2 holes that I felt like took any strategy at all.

Sounds like somebody's been reading some FriedEgg :lol: Having not played the course, but having put it on my list of places to check out this year, I just glanced at the aerials of the holes on the front nine on BlueGolf and I can see where you're coming from. On 7 though it looks like the more you cut off the slight dogleg the better your angle into the green? But that's not really a choice if you can't hit it a long way.

I do read/lsiten to fried egg quite often. But to be honest, his snobbiness and course hate as of late has become way too much for me. It really bothers me. I realized I sounded like him when I posted that and was a little ashamed lol. But I truly felt like I walked up to each tee, and had the same thought process on every tee and that usually isn't the case.

... It is always interesting to hear others opinions on golf courses. I really like Heritage Bluff and find #1 a nice starting hole and then the elevation change on 2, tee shot and second shot premium 3, mounding just off the fairway and green slope on 4, difficulty with club selection and area around the green on 5, then pine lined 6 which reminds me of my home in NC and different from every other hole, 7 is a tricky little par 4 that looks easy but demands a really good tee and second shot with a difficult to putt green and 8 a pretty little par 3 that is easy if you find the green and tough if you don't. 9 is a straight away but long par 5 and a nice chance for a birdie heading into the back 9.

... But then again I hate Big Run which gets a lot of love here. My favorite course, all things considered like price, pace of play, conditions and the combination of easy/medium/difficult holes is Prairie Bluff which gets a fair share of hate. Played there yesterday and the greens were in excellent condition, something I have not found on most area courses after so much rain this summer. We are lucky to be living near so many really good golf courses that we can hate/love more than enough of them to keep us busy even playing 4/5 times a week.

I hate Big Run. I have a list of all of the golf courses I have played and it is in the bottom tier. I enjoy Prairie Bluff as well. I agree though, everyone has a different opinion about courses and like what they like. I like to try new courses, but when I want to play something I like I have a ton of good options like you said.

Obviously, the Bears should be a better team with Mack. Time will tell w/ Trubisky (need to see more of him to assess how good he is). Depth is still an issue and has been an issue with the Bears for a long, long time. They are in the toughest division in the NFC. Still think the Vikings are the best but maybe the Bears can at least split their games with the Lions and Packers. If the Bears can keep injuries to a minimum, I predict a 9-7 season.

15 hcp

We’re saying the same thing. I meant a top pick in the draft means you had a bad/losing season.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The Bears will be average at best likely because of their tough division.I think they gave up too much and signing Mack to a monster contract will hold them back for years to come.

Last year’s coaching staff wouldn’t let Mitch do anything, being too cautious with mitch might not be a good thing when you look around the QBs in the NFL like deshaun Jackson of Houston balling out, thrown deep and pretty being himself which showed sign of him being a good QB, at least taking chances.

Hopefully Nagy will let mitch be more loose a bit to at least show what Mitch can do cause he didn’t do jack last season. Da Bears!!

The Bears will be average at best likely because of their tough division.I think they gave up too much and signing Mack to a monster contract will hold them back for years to come.

Last year’s coaching staff wouldn’t let Mitch do anything, being too cautious with mitch might not be a good thing when you look around the QBs in the NFL like deshaun Jackson of Houston balling out, thrown deep and pretty being himself which showed sign of him being a good QB, at least taking chances.

Hopefully Nagy will let mitch be more loose a bit to at least show what Mitch can do cause he didn’t do jack last season. Da Bears!!

Bears have no major holes. No glaring needs in the draft. When a pass-rushing LB in his prine who is a forner MVP becomes available, you get him because they almost never become available.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Last year's coaching staff wouldn't let Mitch do anything, being too cautious with mitch might not be a good thing when you look around the QBs in the NFL like deshaun Jackson of Houston balling out, thrown deep and pretty being himself which showed sign of him being a good QB, at least taking chances.

Hopefully Nagy will let mitch be more loose a bit to at least show what Mitch can do cause he didn't do jack last season. Da Bears!!

Bears have no major holes. No glaring needs in the draft. When a pass-rushing LB in his prine who is a forner MVP becomes available, you get him because they almost never become available.

... Exactly. All you need to know is Vegas changed the odds for 100-1 to 40-1 because of this trade. The only position the Bears need to fill is depth and you can certainly do that in rounds 2-7. And Nagy already has Trubisky throwing downfield early and often telling him not to check down in practice. The Chiefs (and many others) had Trubisky rated as the #1 QB in the draft including Nagy, and that is one of the reasons that he is now the HC.

Played the new and improved Sunset Valley yesterday. I like what they have done as they cleared a decent amount of trees and overall cleaned up the course conditions for the most part.

The layout itself hasnt markedly changed but you can see more of the course with the tree removal. Greens were firm and fairly true but slow (8 or 9 stimp if I had to guess). New clubhouse is nice and overall the staff was super excited about it and very friendly / helpful (I guess you would hope so after a $7mm renovation).

As far as difficulty goes, its fairly open and I wouldnt say terribly challenging unless you find the fairway bunkers. I played the Blue tees (~6300) with some higher handicap buddies and played my best round of my year shooting 69. Longer hitters should be able to eat up the par 5s.

One word of advice, it was cart path only and will be for the rest of 2018. That said, they encourage walking and have a stable of push carts available for rental. The ranger was also on his game as he reminded a slow group ahead of us to pick it up when they fell behind the group ahead (think pace will improve when they move off the cart path only rules next year).

Overall I had a really enjoyable time. Friendly staff, good conditions and a fair course that can be pretty fun with some buddies of all skill levels. Not a bucket list course by any means but a solid muni and way better than it used to be.

Played a few rounds on the new course. Overall I like the new visuals and links feel. I think the greens are much harder though now:

- all are undulated now. Many putts have multiple breaks.

- thick rough

- no fringe

- not holding approach shots as much (at least not yet).

- collection areas everywhere.

I don’t think the slope is high enough (128 from Blue).

When taking into account the absurd amount of rain we got, tomorrow's forecast, and the fact that when Bear visited his parents their beagle (the most ferocious of all breeds) took a chunk out of his ankle, we decided to pass on driving 2+ hours to Byron tomorrow. We're likely looking at a twilight somewhere but the radar will decide where, when and if we get out. This stinks. I need to get certified to teach SPED in a state with more consistent weather patterns.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Phoenix gets 300+ days of sunshine a year.

I've pretty much given up on holiday golf, so I'm going to make my usual trek to Navy Pier, listen to the band at the Beer Garden, and enjoy a few cold ones.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Phoenix gets 300+ days of sunshine a year.

I've pretty much given up on holiday golf, so I'm going to make my usual trek to Navy Pier, listen to the band at the Beer Garden, and enjoy a few cold ones.

I've been to Phoenix in the summer too many times. Obligatory:

Piretti Cottonwood II

Lol. Yeah, but it's a dry heat. Tee off at sunrise and you're fine.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Love playing in Arizona, even in the heat. I'm not soaked like I am on an 85* here in Illinois! Plus the golf deals are fantastic!!

Lol. Yeah, but it's a dry heat. Tee off at sunrise and you're fine.

Last time I played in Phoenix it was 104.. Obviously, it is hot, but without the humidity is very doable. Give me Phoenix at 104 over Chicago at 90. And like you said, you don't even notice sweating.

... I am gonna move to Phoenix in the next few years. Spent 6 weeks there this spring and fell in love with the place. I'll take 110 in summer over 10 below in winter and hope I never see snow again ... ever. Even in movies.

My brother lives there. My parents did for 5 years until they had to move back for my dad's job. He reitres in 2 years and they're back out there. I'd be gone in a heartbeat if my wife didn't want to keep her job here.

... I am gonna move to Phoenix in the next few years. Spent 6 weeks there this spring and fell in love with the place. I'll take 110 in summer over 10 below in winter and hope I never see snow again ... ever. Even in movies.

This rain needs to stop. Labor Day weekend is historically pretty dry but obviously that isn't the case this year. Next Saturday looks just as bad, with a 70% chance of thunderstorms. Obviously, it's still early and things change but...seriously? Bear and I tried to get out today. We made it to the 7th hole and the skies opened. With thunder and lightning visible and nearby, we got a full rain check. However, a bunch of dummies were teeing off on the first holes as we headed into the pro shop.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Went to Randall Oaks on Sunday. Always liked this course and it's in excellent condition. Very nice practice facilities. They have multiple putting greens, a good range, a large chipping area, a short game 9-hole track, and a 9-hole soccer/golf track. As far as the condition of the fairways, greens, rough, and traps, it's about the best I've seen in the burbs outside of Blackstone. They had recently punched the greens with the small tynes, but the topdressing was at a minimum and I didn't think my ball got affected all day. Unfortunately, it was CPO as every course has been the last 3 weeks, so play was a little slow but not horrible. I decided to not go to the range and I couldn't hit an iron for the first 3 holes. Finally got it together and shot 79 with no birdies. Underrated course for $49.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Tough loss at Flagg Creek yesterday in the Labor Day 2-man Scramble. Got done by 1/4 of a shot. Devastated!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

This rain needs to stop. Labor Day weekend is historically pretty dry but obviously that isn't the case this year. Next Saturday looks just as bad, with a 70% chance of thunderstorms. Obviously, it's still early and things change but...seriously? Bear and I tried to get out today. We made it to the 7th hole and the skies opened. With thunder and lightning visible and nearby, we got a full rain check. However, a bunch of dummies were teeing off on the first holes as we headed into the pro shop.

I heard somewhere that the area was 9 inches over the average for the entire year already. It has been pretty tough.

Quite the weekend for rain and lightning. On Saturday we were pulled off the range and then the course with the electrical storms at Prairie Bluff. On Monday, tried to play Naperbrook and on 3 separate occasions the storms forced us into a shelter, which flooded BTW. After only playing 4 holes in about 2.5 hours, it was home for a nap.

Yeah, crazy weather. I caught this at Navy Pier yesterday.

20180903_142247.jpg

20180903_142642.jpg

Against all odds I somehow was able to get in round #2 of the year this morning at Blackstone. I was shocked that (1) work / wife would actually end up allowing it and (2) the course would be open after getting 7" of rain the last 2 days. This was my first time out at Blackstone and I couldn't have been more impressed. For anyone that has played it it's probably not a surprise and for those who haven't you can add me to an already long list of recommendations. The course was definitely soaked but the fairways, tees, and greens were all in good shape. I'd say the greens were running in the 9 range but by end of round it was closer to 9.5 - 10. I'm going to try and get out there again before end of season and hope for a few days of dry weather as I'd like to see the course in it's normal state. Also, the staff from the shop to the maintenance crew were all excellent.

As far as the round, it was about how I expected after not touching a club for ~90 days. Played the first 6 holes in +4 with 3 lost balls off the tee with the last 12 coming in at -2 for a decent 74. I typically have a lot of timing / hands in my swing and when it is off it usually involves breaking windows / killing wildlife on the left-side of a golf course. Stats for the round were: Fairways (front 9 - 1; back 9 - 6), Greens (front 9 - 4; back 9 - 6), Putts - 31, with 9 missed inside of 10'. Holes 3 thru 7 I missed 5 straight putts inside 8' which had questioning out loud my decision to take a PTO day "for this $&%#!". All in all just a pleasant day to get back out and enjoy a new course layout.

Last sidebar but I was really impressed with the Puma PWRADAPTs given the wet conditions. I almost went back to the car for my old pair of Adidas Powerboost Tours but guess I felt I should put these through the wringer and see how they held up. After 18 holes my feet were completely dry and traction never suffered. Would highly recommend these shoes in case someone is looking for an alternative from Nike, Adidas, etc.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Tried to go to Stonewall yesterday but course was closed due to 4" of rain. Based on radar, I had to tee off earlier and found a round at Eaglewood. Course conditions were good as usual with the greens in real nice shape. Just had to dodge tee shots throughout the day with the holes side by side. Something about this course is so relaxing. Had a thirty minute delay after hole 6 and then play was called for the day after hole 16. Going to try to play 17 and 18 tomorrow :)

Fri. 9/14

AM: University Ridge, Madison

PM: Lawsonia Woodlands

Sat. 9/15

AM: Lawsonia Woodlands

PM: Lawsonia Links

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Hopefully the rain stops soon so you're not having to play in mush. I think Wisconsin head gotten even more rain than us here in northern Illinois. Ugh.

Fri. 9/14

AM: University Ridge, Madison

PM: Lawsonia Woodlands

Sat. 9/15

AM: Lawsonia Woodlands

PM: Lawsonia Links

Agreed. I hope I'm wrong, but I can't imagine URidge being in real good shape right now. While it is hilly in parts, there are some areas that sit pretty low...