2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser TR 1966

thinch84

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what the standard black dot lie angle is on these?

Ping putters are usually 70, I think

would like to know for sure. Their website just states color codes not actual specs.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Also anyone know what type of SS these are made from? 17-4 or something softer?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'm positive that the Anser 2 will find by bag before the season is over.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Dear PING,

Please just make a fully milled Scottsdale Anser in stainless steel and 350g with a nice WRX mid milling on the face. Price them at $350 and sell a sh#t ton of them!

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

I'd be happy with a milled TR insert on the Ketsch mid. The Ketsch is the most accurate putter on the planet, but it's going below the radar because it's feel is substandard.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

So your saying there's a chance... ?

I still feel like they might though. The one bubba is gaming is, so I feel like it at least could be a possibility. Plus, I think ping requires their pros to play their factory/retail putters so here's to hoping. I know bubba gets his own little tweaks and colors but still.

Dear PING,

Please just make a fully milled Scottsdale Anser in stainless steel and 350g with a nice WRX mid milling on the face. Price them at $350 and sell a sh#t ton of them!

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

Maybe if we make an endless, demanding thread, this release will happen hahaha.

The thread on releasing a form of Rory's putter was instrumental in getting it made. There is precedent.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I still feel like they might though. The one bubba is gaming is, so I feel like it at least could be a possibility. Plus, I think ping requires their pros to play their factory/retail putters so here's to hoping. I know bubba gets his own little tweaks and colors but still.

Bubba's new putter isn't a Scottsdale Anser. It's an Anser Milled.

-Josh

Bubba's new putter isn't a Scottsdale Anser. It's an Anser Milled.

-Josh

Sorry, just meant a fully milled stainless Anser style with mid milled face. But his new putter is a custom milled Anser 1(329g). His old torched putter was the Anser milled.

http://www.golfwrx.com/341112/details-on-the-putter-bubba-watson-credited-for-his-hero-win/

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

While I agree with you 100% on how awesome that would be. I think you're wrong about selling a ton of them. Guys come in and drop 4 to 500 on a driver all day long. Talk to your average guy about a putter and mention say 350.00 and they lose their minds!!! 150 to 179 is your wheelhouse of what your average guy wants to spend on putters. Trust me I've seen it for 20 years

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

While I agree with you 100% on how awesome that would be. I think you're wrong about selling a ton of them. Guys come in and drop 4 to 500 on a driver all day long. Talk to your average guy about a putter and mention say 350.00 and they lose their minds!!! 150 to 179 is your wheelhouse of what your average guy wants to spend on putters. Trust me I've seen it for 20 years

I agree, especially for a Ping putter. As I said before, they just need to stick with their $150 price point cast putters. I have a Milled Anser 0 and love it, but there's no way I would've paid full retail for it.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

Ping did phenomenal on the Redwood line and pretty good on the Anser milled line and people STILL complained.

Ping has this new line coming out and people are already complaining about the weight, sight lines, finishes, and so forth.

People are impossible to please. It would be ignorant to invest in a $350 line of milled putters that wouldn't be a huge success.

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

Ping did phenomenal on the Redwood line and pretty good on the Anser milled line and people STILL complained.

Ping has this new line coming out and people are already complaining about the weight, sight lines, finishes, and so forth.

People are impossible to please. It would be ignorant to invest in a $350 line of milled putters that wouldn't be a huge success.

Except it would be a huge success because the Dalehead Anser is extremely popular.

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

Except it would be a huge success because the Dalehead Anser is extremely popular.

You say that but that's because we are Wrxer's. Ask 10 guys who walk into your run of the mill golf shop what the difference is between a Anser 2 a Scottsdale Anser or a dale head Anser and they are just going to stand there and look at you.

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

You say that but that's because we are Wrxer's. Ask 10 guys who walk into your run of the mill golf shop what the difference is between a Anser 2 a Scottsdale Anser or a dale head Anser and they are just going to stand there and look at you.

Exactly. And those people are going to buy a scotty cameron all day over a similar priced ping because they assume it's a better putter.

It's a lose/lose situation. People that are clueless will buy the popular Cameron. Wrx type people will complain about this and that.

The only people who would buy one are the die hard ping fans like myself who have 14 ping clubs in the bag.

I don't play one single Ping club and I would buy one because I love the head shape.

And if people weren't willing to spend $300+ for a milled putter, Cameron wouldn't be in business.

My point is if Ping could produce the Anser milled line, they could make a milled Scottsdale Anser but without the pointless nickel plating or black satin finish. Just good ol bead blasted stainless.

Dear PING,

Sincerely,

Every putter enthusiast

Exactly. And those people are going to buy a scotty cameron all day over a similar priced ping because they assume it's a better putter.

It's a lose/lose situation. People that are clueless will buy the popular Cameron. Wrx type people will complain about this and that.

The only people who would buy one are the die hard ping fans like myself who have 14 ping clubs in the bag.

I've had a Ping putter in my bag for over 20 years, and an all Ping bag since the G15 line came out, so I'm a huge Ping fan as well. With that being said, I personally wouldn't pay $300+ for a milled Ping until they stop nickel plating their 303 SS. However, a stock starshot finish would be money, IMO.

Back on topic, I love the looks of the Anser 2 1966 offering and will demo one soon in hopes the feel is more solid / firm than the Karsten TR line. The old Anser 2s are great putters, just too light. I like the meld of new tech with old school look.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I've had a Ping putter in my bag for over 20 years, and an all Ping bag since the G15 line came out, so I'm a huge Ping fan as well. With that being said, I personally wouldn't pay $300+ for a milled Ping until they stop nickel plating their 303 SS. However, a stock starshot finish would be money, IMO.

Back on topic, I love the looks of the Anser 2 1966 offering and will demo one soon in hopes the feel is more solid / firm than the Karsten TR line. The old Anser 2s are great putters, just too light. I like the meld of new tech with old school look.

So true. To many good full custom options in the $300-$400 range these days. But I wouldn't be paying that much for an OTR putter unless it was exactly what I like (style, finish, weight, alignment, etc).

Having said that, I am very close to putting my order in for the Ping Anser 2. Love the looks and tech behind it. No nonsense, just pure class. Price point is a big reason why I'm so close. Thin top line and no insert in the cavity will give this one a firmer feeling is my guess... Another reason I want it. Fingers crossed

Aren't there other threads for OEM wish listing? The 1966 line is a throwback with TR grooves for $150, and thats good enough for me. I loved the old stainless and black satin putters they made and will likely enjoy this one too. Plenty of other options out there for people who want higher end, heavy, milled stuff. Sure, Ping can make milled putters and forged irons, as they have shown before, but let's enjoy this line for what it is.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Aren't there other threads for OEM wish listing? The 1966 line is a throwback with TR grooves for $150, and thats good enough for me. I loved the old stainless and black satin putters they made and will likely enjoy this one too. Plenty of other options out there for people who want higher end, heavy, milled stuff. Sure, Ping can make milled putters and forged irons, as they have shown before, but let's enjoy this line for what it is.

I agree.

I like the 1966 version. I'm sure they are very solid putter in your typical Ping way. A while back I had a cast G2 Anser and it felt just as solid as my more expensive Redwood Anser. Joe Lunchpale doesn't care about boutique putters anyway. Ping is going to sell a LOT of these new 1966's, and for good reason.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

As useless as the GD Hot List is, the 1966 TR was tested, for what it's worth:

http://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/blade-putters/ping-tr1966-2016

My only takeaway from this is that the putter is out there already, and if they had some units for GD, they will be ready to ship when the time is right.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Hard to believe this thread is still rocking when we are about a month away from the release.

Thank God. A month!!

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   DF3