2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you consider all Pars through 9 holes boring?

longshot300

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't think it's boring. It's good golf. Anytime you can shoot par you are doing well, on any course.

Just think if you always shot even par, you'd have multiple US opens and other major victories.

Although again 9 holes isn't 18.

You probably wouldn't make enough money to be eligible for all of the majors though.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

And I don't think it's boring. It's good golf. Anytime you can shoot par you are doing well, on any course.

Just think if you always shot even par, you'd have multiple US opens and other major victories.

I only played 9 because it was only my first time on the course this year at the time. I'm also a broke college kid these days haha

I've had a few rounds like that in my life, but not in a few years. If it happens appreciate it because your ability to do so may not last forever.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

So, my first 9 hole round of the year, I shot all pars for an even 35. I was basically going "Fairway, Green, 2-putt" or "Green, 2-putt" on par 3's all the way until the 9th hole when I shanked my wedge shot into the green-side bunker. No problem, just pop the bunker shot to about a couple feet from the hole. I made the putt for par for the E in 9 holes.

Not sure whether the round was considered fun, because it's a very good score for my first time out of 2016, or boring because I only made pars that round.

What do you think?

Nice hidden brag! "Oh first time out in x months shot even par sooooo boring!!" Haha jk just busting your balls! I know it's a good score but I'd probly be pissed about not making any putts. I'd honestly rather throw a bogey or two in there and mix in birdies with it to shoot even par. At least I'd be entertained and have a story or two to tell after the round was over... Just my opinion.

You probably wouldn't make enough money to be eligible for all of the majors though.

If you literally had a track record of hundreds of rounds where you literally shot even par every time on any course, somehow by popular demand it would have to be tested in a major. Lol

9 straight pars doesn't automatically mean "boring". There's a lot of ways to make par, in that mix you will probably have a few up and downs, a few missed birdie chances, and some long 2 putts.

Honestly i had a 36 earlier this year on the front 9 of one of our interclub qualifiers, and i was in the trees on probably 3 of the holes. I hit one of the worst drives of my life on a par 5 and salvaged par. I also had a couple of the nicest trouble shots i've ever hit, including a banana out of the trees that went 170yds and probably broke 50yds from right to left, and left me with a 3 foot birdie putt....which i missed.

LOL...that was anything but boring!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Nope. I consider it a prelude to a 68!! :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Honestly, after being on-and-off this for the last few years, I am actually still confused about what exactly a "passive/humble brag" is. I am just being honest about how a round went. My apologies if a certain round/shot accidentally turns into this "passive brag." If one of my posts in the future does turn out to be one, it's not intentional.

1. Well let's start with the title. Going to turn off a # of people.
  2. Then you explain that you didn't miss a fairway, 8 GIR and stuffed after your only bad approach a SW to a tap in. Going to rub people the wrong way
  3. First round of the season
  4. You played under your HC

About the only thing missing from the post was you saying the round was at Augusta or Pebble..... :taunt:

Now if you make the title a little more self-deprecating, fun or tongue in cheek it would have helped.....

i.e. Ho hum.... shot par again, what am I doing wrong??? That would elicit a different response.

In any case we had fun with you and hope you start making those birdies (and some doubles/triples too in order to keep humble).....

There used to be a humble brag thread

Bro, if the Man did it, it ain't braggin, humble, passive or otherwise.....

It's just stating fact :)

Have a nice weekend!!

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Honestly, after being on-and-off this for the last few years, I am actually still confused about what exactly a "passive/humble brag" is. I am just being honest about how a round went. My apologies if a certain round/shot accidentally turns into this "passive brag." If one of my posts in the future does turn out to be one, it's not intentional.

I have noticed more and more of these topics on this site over the past year. I was starting to think the moderators were just posting something to keep the interest up and make it appear as if there are more people on the site. I have decided that these are real people.

I for one am tired of hearing everything about every young person's day. I'm tired of hearing how they feel and what they think. I feel bad for them that they need to go to this site and tell the world that they did something they feel is special. Do you not have any friends to share this information with? Do you know there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself by yourself? Golf is a game which requires humility and a humble heart. I question your motives for posting this topic. I know, you just wanted to talk about an interesting subject and could only find this site to release all of your confusion about the 9 pars in a row but if you have spent any time on here you would know that 98% of people on here have never shot par. I believe you are more interested in hearing people's jealousy and envy then about the "boring" aspect of the round. Don't feel bad, I see the same behavior with the younger members at our club. They walk around talking about how great their game is but when they shoot 82 there is always a reason or excuse. They seem to always be looking for the "safe area" where no one will call them out on their real ability.

I have noticed more and more of these topics on this site over the past year. I was starting to think the moderators were just posting something to keep the interest up and make it appear as if there are more people on the site. I have decided that these are real people.

I for one am tired of hearing everything about every young person's day. I'm tired of hearing how they feel and what they think. I feel bad for them that they need to go to this site and tell the world that they did something they feel is special. Do you not have any friends to share this information with? Do you know there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself by yourself? Golf is a game which requires humility and a humble heart. I question your motives for posting this topic. I know, you just wanted to talk about an interesting subject and could only find this site to release all of your confusion about the 9 pars in a row but if you have spent any time on here you would know that 98% of people on here have never shot par. I believe you are more interested in hearing people's jealousy and envy then about the "boring" aspect of the round. Don't feel bad, I see the same behavior with the younger members at our club. They walk around talking about how great their game is but when they shoot 82 there is always a reason or excuse. They seem to always be looking for the "safe area" where no one will call them out on their real ability.

I have found many of the things that you bring up to he true with my younger students versus even a decade ago, though I started to notice a difference closer to 15-20 years ago. My Teacher and Mentor(and Richard's) is spinning in his grave as he was not a coddler, hand holder and in fact quit taking younger students in the late 90's due to an apparent attitude change and their parents coming to him and telling him how to handle and Teach their children. I was there when he went back to the cash register and took out $300 and gave it back to a father who had paid for a series of lessons and did just as I said. That being said, and I don't believe for one second that either Richard(WRX) or the mods would ever be a party to something such as bogus threads, I take this young man at his word and really, my only comment to this thread is my response to Obe's, who's thoughts this young man would be good to emulate. This is a forum and you being one of the first, have seen a lot over the years however the great thing is that we can choose to ignore those threads or posts that we don't care for. I tend to agree with the member who said that those that are bored with all pars has never gotten them though I am not directing that at this young man, who has responded as a gentleman. The other to consider is that he is autistic and I think it's amazing that he has the confidence to post on such a large forum. Regarding our youth, and I do not include This young man, though This is the world that we live in and I'm sure that many of us learned and matured over the years and would not say and do things in our 40's and 50's that we said and did in our 20's and 30's. Have a nice weekend :) M

Like I said, you did it, it ain't bragging, humble or otherwise!!!

No such thing Bro, hahaha

It's something that some virtual world virtuoso came up with ;)

And you've got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR!!!

You're a Gentleman and a Player and I'd plant the tee with you any day(well, when I can, lol) and I'd have no trouble findin two other Players from this crew to join us :)

You keep doing what you're doin, keep improving and please keep us in the loop :)

Continued Success My Man :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Are you kidding me!!!!????....Par's through 9 holes and I'd be tempted to walk of off after 9 and call it day just to not screw up the happiness on the back nine.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

9 straight pars doesn't automatically mean "boring". There's a lot of ways to make par, in that mix you will probably have a few up and downs, a few missed birdie chances, and some long 2 putts.

Honestly i had a 36 earlier this year on the front 9 of one of our interclub qualifiers, and i was in the trees on probably 3 of the holes. I hit one of the worst drives of my life on a par 5 and salvaged par. I also had a couple of the nicest trouble shots i've ever hit, including a banana out of the trees that went 170yds and probably broke 50yds from right to left, and left me with a 3 foot birdie putt....which i missed.

LOL...that was anything but boring!

Hahaha, now those are the type of holes that I find amusing when it comes to crazy shots like that.

You know what's also amusing in my opinion, is when there's a 90 degree dogleg hole, and someone pulls off a crazy tee shot over/around the trees and drastically shortens the hole.

It just looks awesome, no matter who does it.

• 2 weeks later...

to me, thats kinda boring.

good golf but boring. Especially if I had 2 putt pars from 35 ft all day. snooze fest.

for my standards, I'd hope to make a birdie or two