2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

Regarding the tab, you can make the argument either way on this one. I have friends that are in the NFL. The golden rule when we go out to dinners is, don't expect them to pay for it just because they can. You pay your way just like everyone else. And if you sit there and expect them to pick it up, you are an a**hole.

Ditto(well, they're retired or dead, lol) and couldn't agree more!!

Excellent post!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the tab, you can make the argument either way on this one. I have friends that are in the NFL. The golden rule when we go out to dinners is, don't expect them to pay for it just because they can. You pay your way just like everyone else. And if you sit there and expect them to pick it up, you are an a**hole.

Ditto(well, they're retired or dead, lol) and couldn't agree more!!

Excellent post!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

My dad always said the same. Never expect anyone to do anything for you, that way you'll never be disappointed. As a retired military member, I liked when on occasion someone picked up a tab for me, but you never EVER expected it. It's a jerk move to assume someone will pay for you.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I think this piece may have had approval and perhaps input (direct or indirect) from TW & Co.

Tiger has been completely secretive for so long that maybe he is realizing that the world won't end if people know more about him and his struggles, issues and flaws. Could be saying to everyone that he was lost in some ways and still trying to figure things out.

I think this piece may have had approval and perhaps input (direct or indirect) from TW & Co.

Tiger has been completely secretive for so long that maybe he is realizing that the world won't end if people know more about him and his struggles, issues and flaws. Could be saying to everyone that he was lost in some ways and still trying to figure things out.

There is almost no doubt in my mind that this is true. I'm also pretty certain MJ was either a plant or at least had Tiger's blessing to do this.

Tiger Durden gave the thumbs up to talk about Fight Club.

Also too bad that if he had told us these things at the time they were happening he wouldve been mocked and written off as less of a man. Sergio talked about his relationship troubles and that didn't go over so well

We want our athletes to not be human. They are intensely driven specimens whose sole purpose is to be the best and to amuse us!

Only when they have failed may they be human and seek some kind of redemption story

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

He should've fired his whole PR staff when they ran him out for that ludicrous presser after the scandal.

It should've been four sentences:

"Hello, just to let everyone know, yes I've been cheating on my wife. I'm going to give her a divorce and make sure that she and our children are well cared for financially. My main priorities right now are my children, my golf game, and women. There will be no questions."

Boom.

End of "scandal".

Also too bad that if he had told us these things at the time they were happening he wouldve been mocked and written off as less of a man. Sergio talked about his relationship troubles and that didn't go over so well

We want our athletes to not be human. They are intensely driven specimens whose sole purpose is to be the best and to amuse us!

Only when they have failed may they be human and seek some kind of redemption story

And there it is.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

tiger has always been a jerk. great golfer but always an idiot off the course and a lot of times on the course. When the HGH stories come out, don't be shocked

First let me say that Ive always admired Tigers golf game. I was 11 years old in 97 and started playing at 12. I grew up watching and admiring his dominace.

However I fully believe he took HGH. Look how big he got. The timeline fits with what was going on in baseball at that time too. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro ect. They all got significantly bigger physically so much so that it was noticeable. My 1st cousin was the pitching coach for a MLB team from 1993-2005 and said almost 75% of the ballclub during that time was on something and it was easily accessible. Also if you look at it after these guys stopped with the HGH they ALL went through several injuries and more importantly there performance fell to the floor. It seems that is what happened to Tiger. Im sure only a few people know if in fact this is true, Steinberg, Elin, his supplier of HGH ect so we may never know and if we do it will be awhile from now. Im not a Tiger hater and Im not a steroid basher either. In fact I think it would make baseball better and I love baseball just as much as golf. This is just my opinion on the subject on Tiger and steroids.

As far as the article, I kind of feel bad for Tiger. He seems like a lonely guy and noone no matter how many awful things you do or what have you should ever be lonely. Thats a horrible feeling and if anyone here on this board has ever had it or struggled with depression you'll know what Im talkin about.

I am really surprised that one of the lessons of celebrity is that trying to lead such a reclusive lifestyle (likely on the advice of public relations people) creates a situation that you begin living a life that in every way creates a positive feedback loop that feeds the exact kind of life you don't want to live. By being reclusive, you create a sense from the media that every encounter with you is rare, so you end up with things like paparazzi always stalking you outside your house.

Look at Steve Jobs - one of the richest and most famous people in the world - but he lived in a (relatively, but still upscale) neighborhood in Palo Alto and still drove himself to work. Consequently, the media gets bored of following your everyday life and just moves on to other things. I think a similar lifestyle would go a long way for a guys like Tiger because, eventually, the media doesn't find your trips to Starbucks all that interesting and if you're in the same community and always out and about, your presence isn't recognized as anything other than normal.

tiger has always been a jerk. great golfer but always an idiot off the course and a lot of times on the course. When the HGH stories come out, don't be shocked

First let me say that Ive always admired Tigers golf game. I was 11 years old in 97 and started playing at 12. I grew up watching and admiring his dominace.

However I fully believe he took HGH. Look how big he got. The timeline fits with what was going on in baseball at that time too. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro ect. They all got significantly bigger physically so much so that it was noticeable. My 1st cousin was the pitching coach for a MLB team from 1993-2005 and said almost 75% of the ballclub during that time was on something and it was easily accessible. Also if you look at it after these guys stopped with the HGH they ALL went through several injuries and more importantly there performance fell to the floor. It seems that is what happened to Tiger. Im sure only a few people know if in fact this is true, Steinberg, Elin, his supplier of HGH ect so we may never know and if we do it will be awhile from now. Im not a Tiger hater and Im not a steroid basher either. In fact I think it would make baseball better and I love baseball just as much as golf. This is just my opinion on the subject on Tiger and steroids.

As far as the article, I kind of feel bad for Tiger. He seems like a lonely guy and noone no matter how many awful things you do or what have you should ever be lonely. Thats a horrible feeling and if anyone here on this board has ever had it or struggled with depression you'll know what Im talkin about.

Tiger never got BIG. Most of the ballplayers that used did get noticeably bigger. And almost all golfers deal with injuries. So every guy that gains a few pounds and gets injured is juicing? Spieth and McIlroy look a lot bigger than they did as a scrawny teenagers(okay Rory was a bit doughy) as well. What are they on? The problem to me about these type of comments about any athlete is they spread on the internet without a grain of truth. Then if or when they are proven wrong you never hear a peep from the posters.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Except that he was never "big".

Well, if it was your *1st* cousin who was a baseball coach for a team that 75% took something then

That means Tiger Woods definitely was on HGH

2015-08-10-1439188332-2404835-willis.jpg

; )

Dude, as one who "experimented" with PEDs while in college, buried teammates and best friends who lived on the stuff through and after NFL careers, #1, this is a typical non-athlete arm chair fan boi opinion as I do not know one single individual, male or female(yea, I know a few), whole having "been there, done that," would post something like this.

#2, WHoGAF???

Seriously, what does that have to do with the piece or however many pages into this thread that we are or anything we've discussed??????

This is comical and please, you wanna respond and rip me one, it's Friday, I'm feeling no pain and I'm gonna see Madiie in about an hour so I'm floating and I'll give ya one, lmao

HGH???

Seriously???

No wonder the poor ba***** is distrustful and can't stand most of our species, lmao

Regardless, Fairways & Greens 4ever bub,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I am really surprised that one of the lessons of celebrity is that trying to lead such a reclusive lifestyle (likely on the advice of public relations people) creates a situation that you begin living a life that in every way creates a positive feedback loop that feeds the exact kind of life you don't want to live. By being reclusive, you create a sense from the media that every encounter with you is rare, so you end up with things like paparazzi always stalking you outside your house.

Look at Steve Jobs - one of the richest and most famous people in the world - but he lived in a (relatively, but still upscale) neighborhood in Palo Alto and still drove himself to work. Consequently, the media gets bored of following your everyday life and just moves on to other things. I think a similar lifestyle would go a long way for a guys like Tiger because, eventually, the media doesn't find your trips to Starbucks all that interesting and if you're in the same community and always out and about, your presence isn't recognized as anything other than normal.

It was never an option with Tiger. He does drive himself around etc but comparing his celebrity to Jobs is silly.

I have a rural perspective, but if Richard did me a favor, a business tip, a round at his home course, an in to one of his docs, I'm picking up the tab. The SEAL guys were doing Tiger a huge favor by letting him play with them, and they knew, as Tiger should have, that he was not just one of the guys. Tiger played for a couple of days, then went home and hit balls. The SEAL guys entertained him, he left, they went back to crawling in the mud and hoping to avoid hypothermia.

I have a rural perspective, but if Richard did me a favor, a business tip, a round at his home course, an in to one of his docs, I'm picking up the tab. The SEAL guys were doing Tiger a huge favor by letting him play with them, and they knew, as Tiger should have, that he was not just one of the guys. Tiger played for a couple of days, then went home and hit balls. The SEAL guys entertained him, he left, they went back to crawling in the mud and hoping to avoid hypothermia.

You hit town and there's a spot for ya. I may not be Playin but I'll be your cart mate and we'll have fun, lmao. Regarding a doc, if ya got prostate/bladder problems, you can see my father in the. Neuro/brain/spine, my Godfather. Anything else, we'll make a call, haha.

Have a great weekend :)

My Best,

RP

That's not strictly a "rural" perspective ; )

You hit town and there's a spot for ya. I may not be Playin but I'll be your cart mate and we'll have fun, lmao. Regarding a doc, if ya got prostate/bladder problems, you can see my father in the morning. Neuro/brain/spine, my Godfather. Anything else, we'll make a call, haha.

My Best,

RP

Who do you recommend for the old sniparoo? Given the nature of the equipment involved, I'm looking to pay top dollar for this.

Or Prince. Love the stories coming out of how people would see him around at local records stores or out on his bike (?). And how the local community often gave him his space and respected his privacy. Though Prince is such a cool cat, that he probably got less of the crazy paparazzi/over the top celebrity treatment than other people.

It was a good article. It gave a lot of insight, even though much of the information had been written before. I think we have a tendency to put people who are extremely talented on unrealistic pedestals. The public expects them to be the living incarnation of everything they WANT to be, even though they often have the same flaws as them.

Like the serial adultery thing. Every single person on this board probably has a friend, relative, co-worker etc. who is (as Chris Rock would say) as faithful as their options. I would bet cash money that a significant percentage of men who have the money/influence/power are likely living similar lives. I'd even bet some old time golf legends are in that boat. But somehow we expect different from celebrities and always shocked (there is gambling in this establishment?!?) when a story like this comes out.

The only difference is that Elin had to live it out in front of the whole world. Where 99.9% of people caught in a similar situation have it play out among a small private circle.

From a golf circle it's a shame that he didn't meet his full potential. Whether it was his ultimate dream or not, he is likely the only player who had a shot at beating Jack's major record. But it really seemed like that wasn't his dream or focus. And ultimately if your dreams and goals aren't where your potential lies, you're going to fall short. Golf (and every other sport) probably has a long list of guys 'who could have been' if they had the dream/desire. Once Tiger lost that laser focus, he put all his time and energies into things that were ultimately detrimental to his original path.

The Jordan comparisons were interesting. Very few people can understand what it's like to completely dominate a sport, then suddenly be at the end.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

If legit you are saying the Cincy Reds were 75% juicing. I am sure Don Gullett, being your cuz and all, would appreciate the team being outed. Of course they were only over .500 3 or the 13 years so I guess they took the wrong stuff.

You hit town and there's a spot for ya. I may not be Playin but I'll be your cart mate and we'll have fun, lmao. Regarding a doc, if ya got prostate/bladder problems, you can see my father in the morning. Neuro/brain/spine, my Godfather. Anything else, we'll make a call, haha.

My Best,

RP

Who do you recommend for the old sniparoo? Given the nature of the equipment involved, I'm looking to pay top dollar for this.

LMAO, one, I'd grab some insurance for that and secondly, though I'm not short of opinions, and while I'll give ya my thoughts orthopedically, my father's specialty I steer clear of, though I've been in 1000's of his surgeries over the decades. For a long time if I wanted to talk to him it was either in a surgeons' lounge or an OR, lol. His nurses know a lot of stuff about me, lmao. If you're serious, I'll give ya his # and you can speak to him.

Oh, FWIW, I've got a nicer personality than his but it's like I've told some of his patients, "you don't have to sleep with him so just roll with it," lol.

Boy, as I reread this stuff, Maddie's right, I'm wayyyy more Effed up than I realize ;)

Stay Well Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

My Best,

RP

LMAO, one, I'd grab some insurance for that and secondly, though I'm not short of opinions, and while I'll give ya my thoughts orthopedically, my father's specialty I steer clear of, though I've been in 1000's of his surgeries over the decades. For a long time if I wanted to talk to him it was either in a surgeons' lounge or an OR, lol. His nurses know a lot of stuff about me, lmao. If you're serious, I'll give ya his # and you can speak to him.

Oh, FWIW, I've got a nicer personality than his but it's like I've told some of his patients, "you don't have to sleep with so just go with it," lol.

Boy, as I reread this stuff, Maddie's right, I'm wayyyy more Effed up than I realize ;)

Stay Well Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: That's okay RP-we knew.. :)

That's not strictly a "rural" perspective ; )

I'm glad it's not just a rural perspective, but that's the only perspective I have.

My Best,

RP

Johnny Carson once joked...

that the definition of apprehension is playing golf with your surgeon who's missing two foot putts all day, knowing he'll be performing your vasectomy the next morning".

PING Rapture *10 driver

Cleveland Halo 5 wood

Titleist 755 Irons
PING Forged wedges
Cleveland Huntington 3

No way elin was 90 lbs , she didn't look that much smaller then him and Tiger is built like an NFL linebacker

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I heard a good one on Jim Rome by someone who wrote in...

With all the special SEAL training that Tiger got, he still couldn't defend himself against a 93 lb. model holding a 4-iron!

Not when he is knocked out on Ambien and she starts swinging...hard to throw a block. However, password lock your phone next time TW.

On another note, I used to live just down the road from Firestone and in Akron for almost 10 years after finishing college. Many of the better eating establishments would circulate stories of varied deep pocket golfers being cheap...and yes TW was one of them. I also have seen regular families get up from $100 tab and leave zero.

What gets me is that TW had a family and no way in heck would he assume to keep them around while running around...no way.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR