Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Oh yea. Can confirm.  You didn’t go up on the hill at riverside unless you had backup , or a badge and gun.  🤣.   Absolutely a rough deal. 

I think from what I heard Laurens was the worst. I know a famous quote about Laurens was "Was when a car backfired everyone ducked because you never knew". I never ran there. The promoter was on that old site called 3 R racing trying to get some of us hot shoes mod drivers down there. They had a ruled down there that you could not run mirrors. Some guys evidently used them to block out others. I told the promoter that was a serious safety issue IMHO. Mirrors were just an important safety feature as fire suppression equipment. He shot back they were being misused. I told him on that thought that a Fire Extinguisher could be misused too from it's intended purpose. I told him there was a civil way to handle blocking if a guy started blocking give him a couple of "love taps" if he continued put him into the wall or infield. Some of the other guys got on there and told people what I already knew If us outsiders went there we would get ganged and torn up.

With me it was economics. I lived right across from Cherokee Speedway maybe one mile as the crow flies and a mile and a half on the road. If we ran Harris NC, it was about a 20 mile tow slipping through the country. Lots of times if the Cherokee cars came up there they waived gate fees and pit passes for us. My other bud ran Buffalo in Union SC on Friday night and he paid some of us Tow Money and free gate passes. That track was like 25 miles away. We did run Thunder Valley in Shelby NC some on Saturday night which was about a 25 mile tow for us. Mostly for me money wise it paid for me to stay around Cherokee. 

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

19 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

My son & I have this discussion all the time. I too prefer 90's style ball. His argument is that it's tougher to play defense with new rules and they have to be better athletes & smarter about it. He has a point but it's why at times a game looks like a shooting exhibition. Great team play and all that coordination can still be seen in the better though. I've watched 100's of bad games as an AAU/ NCAA Dad and when there's talent that is well coached is still a great treat to take in. Yet, for me it's not unlike Golf, wish we could revert to 3 piece wound, steel drivers & spiked up greens. But things move on. The raw talent in Pro ball is very deep, it draws players from around the world with a maybe the biggest participation pool of any game. The guys from Europe are really well mentored, it's a bit a shame, youth ball in US is not as well-disciplined as theirs's in teaching team play.

Yep. Half my year is spent watching bball up close.  Both at wofford and at my son’s high school games.  And you can still see some great games IF the conditions and talent are just right.  But then some games are head scratchers.  You’ll see a team go 2 for 25 from 3 point land and lose by 8.  That makes me want to throw things. 🤣. Especially if I’m watching a mismatch down low that favors the losing team.  I want to scream “ 2 is more than 0  for Gods sake “!  

I see your son’s point. In a way. But.  It always brings me back to the old question “ how can two players occupy the same position at once “?   They now give the position of hand nearly touching a offensive players face , plus a hand to check on the offensive players hip , and yet the offensive player can’t pivot even and make contact without a foul.  Lord forbid you swing an elbow. 🤦‍♂️.  Or the old guarding the inbounds play where they’ll send a big over to reach across the inbounds line.  I saw a college game last year where a furman player was 18 inches over the line , was whistled and warned. Moved back , and he immediately did it again with no call. And yet , in the same game I saw two elbows , and a push  off called on offensive players. The push off was a big down low backing a player into  the post.  I’m not certain better defense is played. I think the calls just favor the defense more.  Until it comes to a shot going up.  Then it flips to almost auto call if you’re near a shooter. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

24 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Two of my favorite guitar players. RIP Dickie.

Saw them a bunch of time at The Beacon, smaller venue, amazing 

Have you heard this version?

Warren and Dickie especially playing back and forth at 4:10. And then at 5:20 they are so intertwined it’s hard to tell it’s 2 guitars. Still blows my mind 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Saw them a bunch of time at The Beacon, smaller venue, amazing 

Have you heard this version?

Warren and Dickie especially playing back and forth at 4:10. And then at 5:20 they are so intertwined it’s hard to tell it’s 2 guitars. Still blows my mind 

That is SOOOO good!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. Half my year is spent watching bball up close.  Both at wofford and at my son’s high school games.  And you can still see some great games IF the conditions and talent are just right.  But then some games are head scratchers.  You’ll see a team go 2 for 25 from 3 point land and lose by 8.  That makes me want to throw things. 🤣. Especially if I’m watching a mismatch down low that favors the losing team.  I want to scream “ 2 is more than 0  for Gods sake “!  

I see your son’s point. In a way. But.  It always brings me back to the old question “ how can two players occupy the same position at once “?   They now give the position of hand nearly touching a offensive players face , plus a hand to check on the offensive players hip , and yet the offensive player can’t pivot even and make contact without a foul.  Lord forbid you swing an elbow. 🤦‍♂️.  Or the old guarding the inbounds play where they’ll send a big over to reach across the inbounds line.  I saw a college game last year where a furman player was 18 inches over the line , was whistled and warned. Moved back , and he immediately did it again with no call. And yet , in the same game I saw two elbows , and a push  off called on offensive players. The push off was a big down low backing a player into  the post.  I’m not certain better defense is played. I think the calls just favor the defense more.  Until it comes to a shot going up.  Then it flips to almost auto call if you’re near a shooter. 

I've always seen at every level referee's & calls that are arbitrary, the "star treatment" in NBA has always been and remains an issue too. I see a lot of calls go against defense where in old days they got away with a lot more. Great defense now relies more on better communication amongst players with faster foot work, with helping, switching off, reading the floor better.

One thing that is much improved is level of dynamic balance these guys shoot with. There're a dozen guys in pro ball that can hit from anywhere with their bodies contorted or flying. I don't remember seeing that other than maybe Jordan, perhaps Bird or Magic, though not sold there. Mike is really special because, he hated to lose any game, Jordan is the best team athlete I ever watched. To me, the best battlefield general in any arena of sports during my life.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Never played ice hockey 

Buy we played intramural floor hockey in HS!

It was insane, every game had like 10 fights 🤣

One time we were playing and this wise @ss kid was sitting on his teams bench and puts his stick out and stops the ball in the middle of the game!

So I attacked him 🤣

I tackle the kid and his entire team jumps me, I be fightin them but too many and I get taken down! And then my  team jumps in, what a zoo of animals 

Ahhh, good times 🤣

We did that in Hs Pe class when I was a freshman. Ahh school i n the 70's. Never had all out brawls break out,  like that, but it was rough and injuries were common.

A guy I was on the football team with totally launched my 125 pound frame and I landed funny and got the wind knocked out of me. My teammate, always a polite kind of guy picked me up, threw me on the rolled up wrestling mats at the end of the gym and went back out there. 

When I got my breath back I did the same. The teacher who was the head basketball coach, did ask me if I was ok, a little later. He said he knew if I was really hurt I would let him know.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I've always seen at every level referee's & calls that are arbitrary, the "star treatment" in NBA has always been and remains an issue too. I see a lot of calls go against defense where in old days they got away with a lot more. Great defense now relies more on better communication amongst players with faster foot work, with helping, switching off, reading the floor better.

One thing that is much improved is level of dynamic balance these guys shoot with. There're a dozen guys in pro ball that can hit from anywhere with their bodies contorted or flying. I don't remember seeing that other than maybe Jordan, perhaps Bird or Magic, though not sold there. Mike is really special because, he hated to lose any game, Jordan is the best team athlete I ever watched. To me, the best battlefield general in any arena of sports during my life.

Kind of like “ tiger babies” now on tour.  The signs are all over.  Sheffler wore TW clothing and shoes until just recently when they went away. Plays his irons. And a lot of his course management is tigers playbook.    JT.  Rory1.0, …. MJ babies are same. The nba has had them since 2000… The number 23 on high school teams is still coveted.  And usually reserved for the top shooter.  

on Bird.  To me he’s still the most underrated franchise guy  to ever play the NBA.  And I put him miles ahead of magic. If I’m picking a team.  Bird went to war.  No doubt.  He had to be the only guy in the league that MJ couldn’t intimidate.  When you hear them speak of each other there’s respect. You don’t hear respect come out of MJs mouth about many people.  Especially opponents.  

huge Bird fan ( if it wasn’t obvious 🤣) the last real basketball I watched was Bird.  And then MJ after the comeback.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, BicknellCC said:

We did that in Hs Pe class when I was a freshman. Ahh school i n the 70's. Never had all out brawls break out,  like that, but it was rough and injuries were common.

A guy I was on the football team with totally launched my 125 pound frame and I landed funny and got the wind knocked out of me. My teammate, always a polite kind of guy picked me up, threw me on the rolled up wrestling mats at the end of the gym and went back out there. 

When I got my breath back I did the same. The teacher who was the head basketball coach, did ask me if I was ok, a little later. He said he knew if I was really hurt I would let him know.

Oh man, totally forgot about getting the wind knocked out of you.

Would happen occasionally in football if you landed like flat on your back, thump!

Youd be gasping for air like a fish out of water and no air could get into your lungs. Pretty scary actually 😳

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Kind of like “ tiger babies” now on tour.  The signs are all over.  Sheffler wore TW clothing and shoes until just recently when they went away. Plays his irons. And a lot of his course management is tigers playbook.    JT.  Rory1.0, …. MJ babies are same. The nba has had them since 2000… The number 23 on high school teams is still coveted.  And usually reserved for the top shooter.  

on Bird.  To me he’s still the most underrated franchise guy  to ever play the NBA.  And I put him miles ahead of magic. If I’m picking a team.  Bird went to war.  No doubt.  He had to be the only guy in the league that MJ couldn’t intimidate.  When you hear them speak of each other there’s respect. You don’t hear respect come out of MJs mouth about many people.  Especially opponents.  

huge Bird fan ( if it wasn’t obvious 🤣) the last real basketball I watched was Bird.  And then MJ after the comeback.  

Yeah Bird all day over Magic man, to confess my interest in game arrived with Detroit winning 1st title, so the LA/Boston thing went unseen by me. I loved Detroit's grit. 90's Knicks were built off that inspiration.The Heat still instill Riley's visions, somewhat surprised they have not won more titles. But they get a lot out of their talent. Great franchise, great coach imo.

Golf could use more grit. Rahm whining about wind at Augusta disgusted me to no end. Think Tiger would b****....like ever? Tiger babies is right,...... babies. Scheffler & Koepka are the exceptions to me. Like them both for attitude and capability.The tour has the product they have because it has somewhat enabled less gritty environment. Almost too urbane and ultimately too boring.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

@bladehunter get paired with this guy!

🤣

I’m not sure I have words for that one.  But I bet I could play him The Beach Boys singing 99 problems , and break up his rhythm 🤣. Or maybe it would get better ?  Worth a shot.    

• Haha 4

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m not sure I have words for that one.  But I bet I could play him The Beach Boys singing 99 problems , and break up his rhythm 🤣. Or maybe it would get better ?  Worth a shot.    

I pulled a groin just watching that.

• Haha 4

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

17 hours ago, mshills said:

😂 now that is funny! Had to be that wild a** place in Travelers Rest. 

LOL I did not know you hung out in Upstate SC some--- Or maybe you told me and I forgot---- But anyhow you nailed that one on TR

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Agree completely.  The whole about conditions etc is amazing.  It’s like you’re watching a bunch of club golfers not want to play on Saturday morning because it’s drizzling.  It’s unthinkable to me. And I’m a person who fights the negativity demon every day of my life.  But certain things have flipped my views around when it comes to competition.  In a golf tournament I pray for rain.  Wind. Maybe even  cold rain.  Why ?  It magnifies my advantages.  And like Jack said half will quit mentally  before it begins.  So there’s less people to beat off the top.  

Segway alert 🤣

I’ve been pouring  this into my son’s head since he was in the 6th grade.    Good example. Last night. County championship track meet. This is 1a-5a open comp.  No divisions.  His school is 2a.  So small.  Last night it was windy.  In golf terms a 2 club wind pretty sustained .  He said to me “ I wish the wind would stop “.  I just grabbed his attention and said “ no. Let it blow.  I’ve been watching it. It’s at your back on the front stretch. It’s into  you on the back stretch.  Get low and under it when it’s in your face , when it hits your back -get tall and stretch out. Let it push you.  Everyone else has to run in it. And they won’t all know what to do.  Use it “.

He only had one event last night. 4x800 relay.  He went out and ran a 2.04 split , and his team ran a 8.10 total to place 3rd in the county and get on the podium.  The two teams that beat them.  The two largest high schools in the upper sate.  And they were only 6 seconds ahead. The team ran another PR time.  And half the field looked really bad.  Wind ate them up.  It’s all mindset .  The work is done days and weeks before.  The battle then swaps to between the ears.  
Theyre now ranked 2nd in the state for 2a for that relay.  

you know it’s funny.  When you realize the purpose of all your screw ups … the lessons are so clear.   And you can confidently relay them to others and watch them bare  fruit.  

tonight is the second half of the meet. Individual events for him. I can hardly work today for  the anticipation  🤣.  But I’m a duck on the pond around him.  No excitement. No drama. This is normal stuff.  

If it is drizzling I am ok these days as long as it does not get too cold then my back locks up. Now these days if it gets bad and CPO I am out for obvious reasons. At my course at that point slogging through the mud puts too much stress on me. Now back before my accident at my former course I would grab the rain gear and my Sunday bag with 5 clubs and play as much as I wanted to because everyone was gone

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 7:54 AM, bscinstnct said:

Insane asylum! Most pure intensity of any sports events I’ve seen I think 

Patrick Ewing make me so mad 😡 like 9 feet tall and be missin layups! 🤣

Old geezer stuff here.  But MSG will never be louder than when Willis Reed hit that first jumper in game 7 of the 1970 playoffs.  Except maybe when he hit the second one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I pulled a groin just watching that.

Ohhh say it ain't so----- I admit I spit coffee all over my screen

• Haha 4

Watching golfs greatest rounds and they're showing the 2014 PGA . God I miss watching Phil play. He was so damn exciting to watch.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

7 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Watching golfs greatest rounds and they're showing the 2014 PGA . God I miss watching Phil play. He was so damn exciting to watch.

I agree that is why they called him "Phil the Thrill". Speith comes close on his short game

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I ventured out to a couple of other threads and a question came upon my mind. How bad of a putter do you have to be if you hit a driver over 300 yards straight down the fairway and your 7 wood 235-265 (depending on if you hit a baby fade) and still can't break 80. This will keep me up at night.

Surprise Wow GIF

I would venture they are also very poor wedge players, of course if you only play the tips on 7,500 yd courses you may need to hit a FW on a par 5 ha ha. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to hit driver 250 all the time, my best day drive is 250 and need some roll out help to get there. And I hardly ever play more than 6,300 yds anymore.

Edited by Jim53
  • Like 3

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

31 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I ventured out to a couple of other threads and a question came upon my mind. How bad of a putter do you have to be if you hit a driver over 300 yards straight down the fairway and your 7 wood 235-265 (depending on if you hit a baby fade) and still can't break 80. This will keep me up at night.

Surprise Wow GIF

Well. It’s possible. I once hit 17 greens in a USga qualifier. ( mid am ) and shot 75.  I 3 putted so many times I’ve blocked it out.  because I made 4 birdies.  ( par 5s). 

the yips are a real thing. And so is pressing to make 12-20 footers and not having the ability to hit the hole on the 4 foot comebacks.  

im not that putter anymore.  Thank goodness. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock