Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

Rory seemed a little bit peeved yesterday and I think it's just an accumulation of things that caught up to him. The "Ringo" comments were probably the straw that broke the camels back. He was being somewhat honest for a change instead of the blather that he'd been saying for the past year about the Olympics. He probably wishes he could take back the comment about watching the events on TV that are important (insinuating that golf isn't). That was a bit of a slap in the face to the players who are going to play and I don't think he meant to do that. But, other than that, I don't think he should catch flak for saying that he didn't get into the game to grow golf... because he probably didn't. He's still been doing things to help grow the game, it's just not the reason he plays and he said what he said.

I don't think that the top players not playing has anything to do with liking or not liking the Olympics. I don't think they care about no prize money, because they'll make that up with exposure and endorsement money. The Zika virus was always a ruse. It's winter down there and mosquitos aren't a big problem right now. None of the greens keepers who've been working for months have contracted Zika... not one. These guys travel the world and think nothing of the myriad of diseases that are in play in various parts of the world. No, the reason for them not wanting to play is safety concerns. Jordan specifically said yesterday that he didn't say Zika virus was his reason for not playing... he said "safety concerns". They're targets, they can't guarantee their safety, and then everything else on top of it starts to come into play and they say... "why should I put myself into this position". If you've got to hire your own armed guards to ensure your safety, then maybe you think twice about whether it's worth it.

Why assume he would regret thinking golf is an important Olympic event. None of us, not one grew up thinking golf was an important Olympic event. Why should it be different for him as a professional golfer? He should suddenly change his mind because NBC and others got it included?

I think it's what he probably believes. But his comment can certainly be taken that he thinks that all of the other players who have chosen to play are playing in an unimportant event. I don't think he meant it to come off that way, but it does. He usually has a higher regard for his fellow competitors. Who knows, maybe he doesn't and this is truly who he is.

I don't think Rory in any way meant to diss his fellow competitors, that's just how you and others have chosen to interpret it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory seemed a little bit peeved yesterday and I think it's just an accumulation of things that caught up to him. The "Ringo" comments were probably the straw that broke the camels back. He was being somewhat honest for a change instead of the blather that he'd been saying for the past year about the Olympics. He probably wishes he could take back the comment about watching the events on TV that are important (insinuating that golf isn't). That was a bit of a slap in the face to the players who are going to play and I don't think he meant to do that. But, other than that, I don't think he should catch flak for saying that he didn't get into the game to grow golf... because he probably didn't. He's still been doing things to help grow the game, it's just not the reason he plays and he said what he said.

I don't think that the top players not playing has anything to do with liking or not liking the Olympics. I don't think they care about no prize money, because they'll make that up with exposure and endorsement money. The Zika virus was always a ruse. It's winter down there and mosquitos aren't a big problem right now. None of the greens keepers who've been working for months have contracted Zika... not one. These guys travel the world and think nothing of the myriad of diseases that are in play in various parts of the world. No, the reason for them not wanting to play is safety concerns. Jordan specifically said yesterday that he didn't say Zika virus was his reason for not playing... he said "safety concerns". They're targets, they can't guarantee their safety, and then everything else on top of it starts to come into play and they say... "why should I put myself into this position". If you've got to hire your own armed guards to ensure your safety, then maybe you think twice about whether it's worth it.

Why assume he would regret thinking golf is an important Olympic event. None of us, not one grew up thinking golf was an important Olympic event. Why should it be different for him as a professional golfer? He should suddenly change his mind because NBC and others got it included?

I think it's what he probably believes. But his comment can certainly be taken that he thinks that all of the other players who have chosen to play are playing in an unimportant event. I don't think he meant it to come off that way, but it does. He usually has a higher regard for his fellow competitors. Who knows, maybe he doesn't and this is truly who he is.

I don't think Rory in any way meant to diss his fellow competitors, that's just how you and others have chosen to interpret it.

Agree, if he was trying to diss anyone, it was likely the IOC, Peter Dawson, and the rest of the clowns that had pushing him to play for their own benefit.

There's good reason to take it that way, because that's what he said. HE said he wouldn't be watching golf, he'd be watching track and field, swimming, the important events. How are you supposed to take that?

I think there is a combination of things, first-I think Rory is tired of all the hoopla about not going to the Olympics, second-he has been asked about who he would be representing for the last year or so and third-I have been in Rio, it is beautiful but very dangerous, everyone is indoors by dawn, shops close early and don't even think about traveling through a pavela at any time (which are located close to the Olympic venues)...personally I think he said what was in is heart at the time and I am sure he didn't want to ridicule or insult his fellow players that elected to play in Rio. I really dislike Chamblee, since the days of lashing at Tiger to criticizing everyone's swing when it doesn't work well for a certain tournament, I agree with everyone here, he should be replaced with someone with better credentials...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Agreed. I watch golf on a near weekly basis. I don't find the format chosen for the Olympic golf to be very compelling, and I probably won't watch much of it. Maybe the last few holes on the last day? If I'm going to watch the Olympics, I'd rather watch something I don't watch on a weekly basis, like track and field or what have you. I guess some folks would call me guilty of not doing my part to grow the game, eh?

I guarantee you Rory doesn't watch golf on a weekly basis. Why would he start now? Is he disrespecting all of his fellow competitors when he misses a cut and then doesn't go straight home and watch the rest of the tournament? He's supposed to sit there and watch the Olympic golf out of respect? Or at least pretend that he's going to do so? It's an absolutely ridiculous argument.

Agreed. I watch golf on a near weekly basis. I don't find the format chosen for the Olympic golf to be very compelling, and I probably won't watch much of it. Maybe the last few holes on the last day? If I'm going to watch the Olympics, I'd rather watch something I don't watch on a weekly basis, like track and field or what have you. I guess some folks would call me guilty of not doing my part to grow the game, eh?

I guarantee you Rory doesn't watch golf on a weekly basis. Why would he start now? Is he disrespecting all of his fellow competitors when he misses a cut and then doesn't go straight home and watch the rest of the tournament? He's supposed to sit there and watch the Olympic golf out of respect? Or at least pretend that he's going to do so? It's an absolutely ridiculous argument.

That would make for an awesome question to ask the touring pros each week, to name the winner of some random tournament (that would undoubtedly have a stronger field than the Olympic event) from earlier in the season and see how many get it right.

"So ______, who won the 2016 Valspar Championship?"

What would the percentage of right answers be? 15-20 maybe? Less?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This isn't about what Rory is going to watch. This is about him inferring that golf is unimportant in the Olympics. That may be his feeling, but there are a bunch of fellow pro's who are playing because THEY think it's important. Nearly all of the women are playing because they feel it's important. Nobody cares what Rory watches, but they care what he says about golf because he's the #1 European player. If he doesn't want to play because he himself doesn't feel the need to grow golf, or he doesn't think it's safe, or if he's afraid of harming his reproductive organs... fine. But when he infers that it's an unimportant Olympic event, what are all the other Olympic golfers supposed to think about that?

But when he infers [sic] that it's an unimportant Olympic event, what are all the other Olympic golfers supposed to think about that?

They probably ought to think it's an unimportant event to those at Rory's level. Because it is.

When the top four players in the world and a majority of the top ten all blow off an invitation to an event, then what other definition of "unimportant" could possibly apply?

I know a guy for whom this week's Web.com event is absolutely crucial. He's trying to get his PGA Tour card and every win, potentially every high finish moves him closer to that goal. But the event means less than bupkes to Rory McIlroy or even to Patrick Reed or [fill in the blank of whoever is representing France].

I don't think those less-than-top-drawer golfers who are playing in the Olympics will be nearly as butt hurt about Rory's "diss" as the media or you lot would make them out to be. And hey, there may a couple guys like Patrick Reed who are so rah-rah about anything draped with flag (even a blatantly corrupt commercial venture like the Olympics) that they rank a golf medal right up there with a 6-0-0 Ryder Cup record or even a PGA Championship. If so, good on them, if they can get it they will no doubt have a good experience.

This isn't about what Rory is going to watch. This is about him inferring that golf is unimportant in the Olympics. That may be his feeling, but there are a bunch of fellow pro's who are playing because THEY think it's important. Nearly all of the women are playing because they feel it's important. Nobody cares what Rory watches, but they care what he says about golf because he's the #1 European player. If he doesn't want to play because he himself doesn't feel the need to grow golf, or he doesn't think it's safe, or if he's afraid of harming his reproductive organs... fine. But when he infers that it's an unimportant Olympic event, what are all the other Olympic golfers supposed to think about that?

We're probably getting into the weeds here, but he said golf is an Olympic event that doesn't matter on the heels of mentioning track and field and other traditional events that most everyone would associate as 'worthy' Olympic events that do matter to the event and to those sports. In that context he is 100% correct. I would assume golfers competing in the NBC Universal Olympic Brazil Open wouldn't pay anymore attention than to any other event Rory or the top players skip because it isn't important enough to them or fit into their schedule or sponsor commitments.

A more telling question would have been how much does the Olympic event 'matter' compared to other professional tournaments?

After the 4 majors, the WGC events, each tour's championship, an indivifual's national open, FedEx cup events, other marquee events with a legacy and cachet value...more maybe?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Would you have watched Olympic golf if

Rory, Jordan, Jason, DJ, and Adam Scott were playing? And Hideki, let's not forget him and the Japanese media ; )

Of course you would. As would millions more, fans and casual fans, who won't now. That's the point. They could have *made* it big by showing up.

And nobody says he should watch. But why stick it to the guys who are going by saying he is only watching what "matters"? Especially when was acting like it mattered in previous statements about why he was going to be playing.

I'm sure they'll get their panties super extra twisted like so many on here have. Or maybe they'll just think he gave his honest opinion.

Fact of the matter, by any reasonable measure, golf IS indeed a relatively unimportant Olympic event:

It hasn't been in the Olympics for 100+ years.

Rory is FAR from the only top player who is a no show.

For the majority of all the other Olympic sports the Olympics are the absolute height of what can be achieved--this includes all the sports that Rory said he'd rather watch. Golf has not one but FOUR tournaments, EVERY year that have many many decades of being regarded as the height of what can be achieved--and there happens to be an example of two of them occurring just before and after the Olympics. The Ryder Cup provides a long history playing golf for your country, and it happens to take place a month after the Olympics this year. That's great that you like the Olympics so much, but there are THREE events within TWO months of the Olympics that have already carved a place in golf history more important than the Olympics.

Ask Rory--or any other top player who's going to be honest about it--what would they rather win this year? Some combination of the British, the PGA, and a Ryder Cup, or gold in the Olympics. What's more important to them? Oh, yeah, that's right, the correct answer is "growing the game."

I wouldn't watch any part of the Olympics no matter how many top players entered. Or I'll take that back. Maybe if it were being broadcast live and not on tape delay AND some of my favorite players were playing AND it was a rainy Saturday when I couldn't play golf myself I might tune it in for a couple hours. Pretty much the same criteria that governs me watching any golf on TV that isn't the Open Championship or the Masters.

There's good reason to take it that way, because that's what he said. HE said he wouldn't be watching golf, he'd be watching track and field, swimming, the important events. How are you supposed to take that?

In a way that doesn't project his feelings about his fellow competitors that he never mentioned. I said earlier that none of us, not one, grew up considering golf an important Olympic event. None. All far as I can remember there was no general outcry over its exclusion for the last century. Like everyone, Rory has events that he considered important and golf is not one of them. Many Canadians think curling is an important Olympic event, many Americans don't. I don't think they are dissing Canadians by feeling that way and I don't think Rory meant to demean his fellow pro golfers.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I wouldn't watch any part of the Olympics no matter how many top players entered. Or I'll take that back. Maybe if it were being broadcast live and not on tape delay AND some of my favorite players were playing AND it was a rainy Saturday when I couldn't play golf myself I might tune it in for a couple hours. Pretty much the same criteria that governs me watching any golf on TV that isn't the Open Championship or the Masters.

It actually will be on live on the golf channel, from approx 5 or 6am to early afternoon each day (EST). Frankly, regardless of who plays, the golf will be better sports coverage than any of the garbage human interest crap that NBC shows in prime time each night. Nothing like some vignettes and feel good stories of some swimmer or gymnast "training hard" in the off-season at their little gym and "overcoming the odds", interspersed with a little bit of taped delayed sports coverage, a whole bunch of Bob Costas running his mouth, and some coca-cola commercials. Ugh. I'll take the crappy field/crappy format golf over that 8 days a week.

Rory, Jordan, Jason, DJ, and Adam Scott were playing? And Hideki, let's not forget him and the Japanese media ; )

Of course you would. As would millions more, fans and casual fans, who won't now. That's the point. They could have *made* it big by showing up.

And nobody says he should watch. But why stick it to the guys who are going by saying he is only watching what "matters"? Especially when was acting like it mattered in previous statements about why he was going to be playing.

No I wouldn't have. I might watch some of the ladies if Henderson gets any coverage.

It actually will be on live on the golf channel, from approx 5 or 6am to early afternoon each day (EST). Frankly, regardless of who plays, the golf will be better sports coverage than any of the garbage human interest crap that NBC shows in prime time each night. Nothing like some vignettes and feel good stories of some swimmer or gymnast "training hard" in the off-season at their little gym and "overcoming the odds", interspersed with a little bit of taped delayed sports coverage, a whole bunch of Bob Costas running his mouth, and some coca-cola commercials. Ugh. I'll take the crappy field/crappy format golf over that 8 days a week.

The GC coverage will have as much or more of the human interest crap that NBC does.

The GC coverage will have as much or more of the human interest crap that NBC does.

The Golf Channel *is* NBC and this *is* the Olympics. I wish I could be as optimistic as hdr_ric but I'm leery...

God I hope not. US golf coverage (NBC/CBS/GC/etc) is bad enough as it is, they show the studio hosts running their traps or interviewing someone more than actual golf, but I hope the GC doesn't go all "NBC/Today show" style on it (yes I know they are owned by NBC). Hopefully they will just show golf shots.

The Golf Channel *is* NBC and this *is* the Olympics. I wish I could be as optimistic as hdr_ric but I'm leery...

God I hope not. US golf coverage (NBC/CBS/GC/etc) is bad enough as it is, they show the studio hosts running their traps or interviewing someone more than actual golf, but I hope the GC doesn't go all "NBC/Today show" style on it (yes I know they are owned by NBC). Hopefully they will just show golf shots.

Think about it. Take a normal PGA Tour telecast and add the layer of it being an Olympic event. They will undoubtedly have a bunch of guys acting as the counterpoint to those who declined to go talking about how honoured they are to be there. I expect they will show less actual golf vs more.

Great example of the difference between "The Greatest Generation" (Arnold Palmer), and the Millenials (Rory). Doesn't care about the growth of the game? Glad Arny, Jack, and Gary were not that self centered! :angry:

I think we over-romanticize the players of the past a little bit ALOT. I wonder what their image would be if they had the same media coverage we have today instead of beat writers that adored and worshiped them as gods.

Fixed it for you.

Well yes, of course. Was trying to be a little gentle since what I wrote is essentially blasphemy on here.

I'll watch the exact same amount I had planned to watch before!

What a load of BS, just lost a lot of respect for Rors.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

Hahahahahahaha are u drunk???? You don't need people to grow the game u t**. It will always be there

What a load of BS, just lost a lot of respect for Rors.

If the players before him didn't care to grow the game he would be selling insurance somewhere (no disrespect to insurance salespeople). The game is bigger than you and your legacy.

Hahahahahahaha are u drunk???? You don't need people to grow the game u t**. It will always be there

That looks like a reasonable way to have a debate. The only people I know who attempt to have objective conversation like you, are drunk.

God forbid the game grows so more people enjoy the thing we all love so much.. I don't believe it should be done at the expense of the roots of the game, so much as some others, but it's not something kids do so much anymore.

I guess I hold golfers to higher expectations as role models than other pro athletes who get arrested for rape, drugs, domestic abuse, etc.. On a semi regular basis. Maybe more kids should play golf and look up to the likes of Jordan and Rory instead of Rice and Moss and play a game that's based off values and honesty.

Essentially it's all a respect thing. Rory wants to hit great shots but not replace his divots and doesn't care about the players behind him, if you will..

It's not written in stone that it's anyone's responsibility to be a role model and grow the game, but if it made my life as good as it's made his, Id do what I could to pass on the good fortune.

If one is only concerned about ones own career, then that's all they'll be remembered by, and in the grand scheme of life, golf means nothing. Id bet that Jack, Arnie, etc.. are far more proud of some of the things they've chosen to do with the weight they've been given than the trophies on their shelf.

If you have the God given talent to change lives through the game you've been gifted with, I would think you'd want to do it.. Especially when it changed yours. It's no secret that the more there is for kids to do, the less trouble they'll get into.. Rio seems like a place where kids could use more to do..

Jordan backing out was pretty surprising to me as he seems like a person to do things for reasons outside of himself. Maybe not, but he hasn't publicly announced it like Rory did. To be fair to Rory, I'm still a big fan and want to believe that he does good things with his time off the course too.

Maybe I'm missing something huge, but isn't the Olympics about competing for your country?? I get the Ryder cup is far more recognized for that, it just seems like the right thing to do, given the opportunity? Maybe if it wasn't so bashed right now, it'd be a bigger deal next time around? Idk.

It all works out. I enjoy watching Rory hit shots, not fill divots. Or more to the point I like seeing Rory (and DJ and Jason) compete in real tournaments. Exhibitions, not so much.

Filling divots was a metaphor for leaving a legacy greater than his golf shots. Reaping all the benefits of your incredible situation in life and not caring what happens after your not doing it anymore.

I guess I'm interested in the character of the people I'm a fan of, a long with their performance.

If one is only concerned about ones own career, then that's all they'll be remembered by, and in the grand scheme of life, golf means nothing. Id bet that Jack, Arnie, etc.. are far more proud of some of the things they've chosen to do with the weight they've been given than the trophies on their shelf.

If you have the God given talent to change lives through the game you've been gifted with, I would think you'd want to do it.. Especially when it changed yours. It's no secret that the more there is for kids to do, the less trouble they'll get into.. Rio seems like a place where kids could use more to do..

Jordan backing out was pretty surprising to me as he seems like a person to do things for reasons outside of himself. Maybe not, but he hasn't publicly announced it like Rory did. To be fair to Rory, I'm still a big fan and want to believe that he does good things with his time off the course too.

Maybe I'm missing something huge, but isn't the Olympics about competing for your country?? I get the Ryder cup is far more recognized for that, it just seems like the right thing to do, given the opportunity? Maybe if it wasn't so bashed right now, it'd be a bigger deal next time around? Idk.

You're basically saying that Rory McIlroy going to the Olympics and playing for Irish (or Great British, whatever) glory versus not going to the Olympics is the difference between some poor kid in Rio taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty versus not taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty. Never mind that the kid hasn't had a fully belly in years and golf is not something a poor kid in Rio casually takes up--idle time is the least of their problems, you know. Not only all that, but you're also saying that Rory has a moral obligation to do so, as the ghosts of the past surely would've done, in your imaginary world. Which is frankly a bunch of sanctimonious BS.

You're basically saying that Rory McIlroy going to the Olympics and playing for Irish (or Great British, whatever) glory versus not going to the Olympics is the difference between some poor kid in Rio taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty versus not taking up golf and pulling himself out of poverty. Never mind that the kid hasn't had a fully belly in years and golf is not something a poor kid in Rio casually takes up--idle time is the least of their problems, you know. Not only all that, but you're also saying that Rory has a moral obligation to do so, as the ghosts of the past surely would've done, in your imaginary world. Which is frankly a bunch of sanctimonious BS.

Agreed, Arnie's greatest contribution to the sports world... nay, the WORLD, is being a key part of the creation of the Sporting Industrial Complex... to steal from Ike ;)

There is a direct line from that germ that started with Mark McCormack, Arnie, and IMG, to today's clusterfcuks that are the IOC, FIFA, and the rest of them. It is a helluva legacy.

F.T.