Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great example of the difference between "The Greatest Generation" (Arnold Palmer), and the Millenials (Rory). Doesn't care about the growth of the game? Glad Arny, Jack, and Gary were not that self centered! :angry:

Β 

LMAO! You really think Arnie did it all for the love of the game?

Β 

Seriously. The sanctimonious BS in this thread is unbelievable.

Great example of the difference between "The Greatest Generation" (Arnold Palmer), and the Millenials (Rory). Doesn't care about the growth of the game? Glad Arny, Jack, and Gary were not that self centered! :angry:

Β 

Β 

Β 

No kidding....past page has had the expressions "greatest generation" and "served his country" used in a thread talking about a guy not playing in the Olympics

Β 

The projecting going on in this thread has reached unprecedented levels

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

Why does Rory owe it to people to play in the Olympics? Stop watching golf and he won't get paid....

Β 

But you won't stop watching golf.

Β 

And that's how the system works. You are unhappy because he gets paid a lot and you feel he owes you. Do you feel the CEO of your local largest employer owes you? The guy who owns your local hotel chain and is a multi-millionaire, does he owe you?

Β 

Seems to only apply to sports. Yet everyone with money owes it to supply and demand. But these athletes, they "owe" us.

Β 

Actually, they "own" us.

Β 

Probably not a popular sentiment, and nothing against anyone who supports any sports teams at any level, and I love college sports, high school sports and golf, but I quit watching pro football years ago when Sunday afternoons were time to spend with my family, quit watching pro basketball just about the minute our first daughter was born, quit watching baseball altogether with the steroids fiascos of Bonds, Sosa (damn him) and McGwire, but mostly because of all the time following and watching all that stuff sucked out of my life.

Β 

Really don't watch near as much college football or basketball, mostly when the Hawks are playing, and sometimes (forgive me) I'll tape an Iowa game because I want to golf or go hunting.

Β 

Golf, especially the majors, is just different for me, I'm sure like the magic of baseball or the NFL is different for lots of people. Golf I can still play, and I enjoy seeing it played at a high level, but i don't watch even half of the regular tour events, if that.

Β 

The older I get, the less I'm looking to sports for "entertainment" or relying on "entertainment" to provide much in the way of fulfillment.

I'm a big Rory fan and I've always defend him. But whatever about his opinion, the hypocrisy of his comment is astounding. Check out what he said in 2014 about growing the game, about pulling out being selfish, talking about how important it was for big stars to support it. Then goes 180 on the whole thing.

Β 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/18/rory-mcilroy-olympics-ireland-golf

Β 

I would have appreciated it more if he just said it like Adam Scott. People don't like being lied to.

Β 

Not surprising. This is the same guy who apparently fell head over heels for some babette named Caroline, and asked her to be his bride ... then gets cold feet and backs out. Rory the waffler.

Why does Rory owe it to people to play in the Olympics? Stop watching golf and he won't get paid....

Β 

Β 

And that's how the system works. You are unhappy because he gets paid a lot and you feel he owes you. Do you feel the CEO of your local largest employer owes you? The guy who owns your local hotel chain and is a multi-millionaire, does he owe you?

Β 

Seems to only apply to sports. Yet everyone with money owes it to supply and demand. But these athletes, they "owe" us.

Β 

Actually, they "own" us.

Β 

Probably not a popular sentiment, and nothing against anyone who supports any sports teams at any level, and I love college sports, high school sports and golf, but I quit watching pro football years ago when Sunday afternoons were time to spend with my family, quit watching pro basketball just about the minute our first daughter was born, quit watching baseball altogether with the steroids fiascos of Bonds, Sosa (damn him) and McGwire, but mostly because of all the time following and watching all that stuff sucked out of my life.

Β 

Really don't watch near as much college football or basketball, mostly when the Hawks are playing, and sometimes (forgive me) I'll tape an Iowa game because I want to golf or go hunting.

Β 

Golf, especially the majors, is just different for me, I'm sure like the magic of baseball or the NFL is different for lots of people. Golf I can still play, and I enjoy seeing it played at a high level, but i don't watch even half of the regular tour events, if that.

Β 

The older I get, the less I'm looking to sports for "entertainment" or relying on "entertainment" to provide much in the way of fulfillment.

Β 

It's all projection. People romanticize what an athlete should be in their heads, and they imagine what they would do if they were in Rory's position....only it's a romanticized version and likely unrealistic. It's easy to look at a pro athlete and think they are lucky to be there, but they also worked to be there. We have a vision of what we would be as pro athletes and we lash out if someone doesn't fit that image

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

No kidding....past page has had the expressions "greatest generation" and "served his country" used in a thread talking about a guy not playing in the Olympics

Β 

Β 

Somebody brought up Lebron dropping out.

Β 

He played in 3 Olympics over 12 years.

Β 

And he sure isnt mocking the guys who are going to Rio the way Rory is mocking his fellow pros who are going.

Β 

Dont you think that was a db thing to say,

Β 

”I'll watch track and field, swimming, diving - you know, ones that matter.”

Β 

Considering that guys he will be teeing it up with this week will be heading down there to make the effort that he wont.

Β 

Including his former RC captain?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Actually, they "own" us.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's all projection. People romanticize what an athlete should be in their heads, and they imagine what they would do if they were in Rory's position....only it's a romanticized version and likely unrealistic. It's easy to look at a pro athlete and think they are lucky to be there, but they also worked to be there. We have a vision of what we would be as pro athletes and we lash out if someone doesn't fit that image

Β 

Not disagreeing with you at all, just taking it in a different/related direction.

How come there isn't corresponding outrage over LeBron sitting out the Olympics?

Β 

He's played every other time. The US is still going to crush everyone. A bunch of the top basketball players are still playing.

Ping G410 LSTΒ 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'm a big Rory fan and I've always defend him. But whatever about his opinion, the hypocrisy of his comment is astounding. Check out what he said in 2014 about growing the game, about pulling out being selfish, talking about how important it was for big stars to support it. Then goes 180 on the whole thing.

Β 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/18/rory-mcilroy-olympics-ireland-golf

Β 

I would have appreciated it more if he just said it like Adam Scott. People don't like being lied to.

Β 

Not surprising. This is the same guy who apparently fell head over heals for some babette named Caroline, and asked her to be his bride ... then gets cold feet and backs out. Rory the waffler.

Β 

He was in his early 20's when he got engaged and backed out....cmon man

Β 

I played college and semi-pro football between 19-24yrs old and my longest relationship was probably 3 months. I thought i wanted a relationship but i was nowhere near ready. I was selfish, didn't know anything about anything, and of course things didn't work out. I'm 35 now and happily married, met my wife at 29

Β 

This is how MOST relationships work at that age...they don't last. If Rory had married her they would've divorced, like 50+ percent of people do

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

And he sure isnt mocking the guys who are going to Rio the way Rory is mocking his fellow pros who are going.

Β 

Β 

"I'll watch track and field, swimming, diving - you know, ones that matter."

Β 

Considering that guys he will be teeing it up with this week will be heading down there to make the effort that he wont.

Β 

Β 

You have a point, but still Basic, those other guys aren't headed to the trenches in WWI while he's under a desk in the foreign office.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Actually, they "own" us.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not disagreeing with you at all, just taking it in a different/related direction.

Β 

I didn't think you were disagreeing :)

Β 

I was just adding to my comments

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

Β 

https://www.theguard...cs-ireland-golf

Β 

Β 

Not surprising. This is the same guy who apparently fell head over heals for some babette named Caroline, and asked her to be his bride ... then gets cold feet and backs out. Rory the waffler.

Β 

Fight fair, or we have to start talking about Phil's investment strategies!

Β 

Β 

Β 

You have a point, but still Basic, those other guys aren't headed to the trenches in WWI while he's under a desk in the foreign office.

Β 

Ha! No, you are right, of course. I am not equating the olympics with military service.

Β 

And I was thinking, fine, hes getting married, who knows with the zika.

Β 

But whats with this thing he said today? Why does he insult all the guys, Sergio, Stenson, Rickie etc?

Β 

Thats some miserable stuff. I will say that planning a wedding is stressful, maybe thats it ; )

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not surprising. This is the same guy who apparently fell head over heels for some babette named Caroline, and asked her to be his bride ... then gets cold feet and backs out. Rory the waffler.

Β 

Β 

Hey, I'm just observing. Rory has demonstrated on several occasions that he really doesn't know what he thinks from month to month. He says one thing in January, then something completely opposite in July.

Β 

You really think Arnold did nothing to grow the game? LMAO!

I find it hilarious that some of these guys talked about how amazing and prestigious it would be to represent their county and play for a gold medal (including Rory) and these are the same that have pulled out using the ridiculous Zika excuse which is just a blanket statement.

Β 

I applaud Rory for refusing to be PC and speaking his mind, but all the BS he said before that is where I have issue.

Β 

He said its not his responsibility to grow the game, and to a huge degree he's right. However, what about the kids that look up to him that want to be like him and do what he does? Does this not somewhat tarnish his reputation to that degree?

Β 

Again, I don't care, but I think he's gone back and forth with his thoughts on this and mislead several people and in some instances completely lied about what he thought.

Β 

If he felt this strongly what was all the crap before Rory?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ha! No, you are right, of course. I am not equating the olympics with military service.

Β 

And I was thinking, fine, hes getting married, who knows with the zika.

Β 

But whats with this thing he said today? Why does he insult all the guys, Sergio, Stenson, Rickie etc?

Β 

Thats some miserable stuff. I will say that planning a wedding is stressful, maybe thats it ; )

Β 

Hell, in the end I speculate he has been getting so much criticism and reading too much of it and maybe pressure from Euro Tour or whomever re these Olympics and is exhausted by the whole thing and just put it out there, without the interview filter on for a moment.

How come there isn't corresponding outrage over LeBron sitting out the Olympics?

Β 

He's played every other time. The US is still going to crush everyone. A bunch of the top basketball players are still playing.

Β 

But most of the best aren't. And there are still lots of top golfers playing.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5Β°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby Max Milled 54Β° & 58Β°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It sure seems like a lot of people around here get their shorts in a wad over a little of nothing.

Β 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19Β°,22Β° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72Β 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Β 

Β 

I love the "grow the game" arguments. Who the hell is going to tune in for golf because it is an olympic sport? Literally tens of people? Unless the Olympic committee injects billions of dollars into these countries and sets up financial markets and reduces corruption and provides infrastructure golfs growth will be roughly 84 people spread evenly in Latin America and Africa. You bozos. I love basketball and soccer and tennis but I'll be damned if I spend 30 mintues watching coverage of any of those.

Β 

Golf is already international and has 4 championships a year! These guys aren't training in Eugene, OR and going to PAC 10 meets in preparation for the most prestigious event that comes along every 4 years. Top golfers play all over the world already.

Β 

Some people (old and white and worry about "the game" and "integrity") are such DBs. So a bunch of top players do not want to play a brand new event some word not allowed in an ill fitting blazer said would help "grow the game"...oh the humanity!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

”I'll watch track and field, swimming, diving - you know, ones that matter.”

Β 

Β 

Including his former RC captain?

Certainly was a chump move. Even though what Rory said about the important stuff is a sentiment shared by most of us, he was way out of line saying it publicly being in his position. He needs to put his manners back in and stop biting the hand that feeds him.

Β 

You really think Arnold did nothing to grow the game? LMAO!

Β 

Uh, no.

It's all about the money, sadly. "I got into the game to win tournaments" Well, I guess the Olympics isn't a tournament?

Β 

It is a tournament, it just doesn't pay out money. Very sad day.

Β 

No longer a fan of Rory. I have forgiven him in the past for throwing clubs in the water and for faking a tooth ache so he could walk off the course when he was playing bad.

Β 

Rich, spoiled prima-donna flying around on his private jet in his bubble.

Β 

Disrespectful to the game. Disrespectful to his country. Disrespectful to his fellow competitors. Disrespectful to the Olympics

Β 

You my friend get props. Best post on this thread.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Hey, I'm just observing. Rory has demonstrated on several occasions that he really doesn't know what he thinks from month to month. He says one thing in January, then something completely opposite in July.

Β 

So like changing up clubs at the last minute just before the Ryder Cup? :-)

Β 

I couldn't let that one go, sorry.

Β 

Rory isn't always consistent on so many things and whether he just doesn't seek good PR advice or won't listen I don't know.

Β 

I listed to Peter Dawson yesterday walk that careful line about respecting players' personal decisions, but he couldn't help smiling and saying the players not coming had overreacted on Zika and they hadn't lost a greenkeeper, so I think he was trying to have his crumpet and eat it, too while sticking the knife in a little bit. Maybe that pissed Rory off. Also saying players needed to give back to the game by supporting the Olympics - that's going a bit too far in setting up the players to look selfish by not buying into what he's orchestrating. Makes me wonder if he's firing these little shots out there because the backroom efforts to get players on board or educated weren't really as good as he and Votaw want to hint they were, or maybe too little, too late. I sense a lot of behind the scenes pushing and shoving over the last weeks or months and some of that is starting to spill out a little.

It's all about the money, sadly. "I got into the game to win tournaments" Well, I guess the Olympics isn't a tournament?

Β 

Β 

No longer a fan of Rory. I have forgiven him in the past for throwing clubs in the water and for faking a tooth ache so he could walk off the course when he was playing bad.

Β 

Β 

Disrespectful to the game. Disrespectful to his country. Disrespectful to his fellow competitors. Disrespectful to the Olympics

Β 

Β 

The quote was "I got into golf to win championships" and a tournament that popped up on the scene a few years back doesn't hold the same merit as a major championship. So not the best post in the thread, a misquote.

Β 

You're talking about 60 players, 40 of whom aren't that good. It's an exhibition, not a tournament.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15Β°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex β€˜19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not to split hairs but here's the quote β€œI didn’t get into golf to try to grow the game. I got into golf to win championships and win majors."

You have written "tournaments" in your quote. That's what the Olympic golf event is. Just another tournament. It is neither a championship or major. Full disclosure I couldn't care less about golf in the Olympics. Just wanted to clear that up.

Β 

Edit : Team Ping was too quick for me!!

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth